Hardware Mac servicing, emergency tips, General knowledge on Mac issues

views

SUSXnet
post Sep 2 2021, 07:05 PM

Regular
1,862 posts

Imac inaccessible.
STOP icon appears - any fix?

Went to recovery mode and tried to reinstall OS but it didnt detect SSD.
Went to Disk Utilities - SSD is there.

If I were to hit First Aid >repair disk will data be wiped off?

This post has been edited by Xnet: Sep 2 2021, 08:40 PM
TSwei
post Sep 3 2021, 09:35 AM

Get your Macs done right!
6,491 posts

QUOTE(Xnet @ Sep 2 2021, 07:05 PM)
Imac inaccessible.
STOP icon appears - any fix?

Went to recovery mode and tried to reinstall OS but it didnt detect SSD.
Went to Disk Utilities - SSD is there.

If I were to hit First Aid >repair disk will data be wiped off?
Either the partition of the virtual drive are broken. Rebuilt from scratch, do not just erase and install. Try and see. Good luck.
eddyann
post Sep 3 2021, 10:00 AM

Gold Miner
1,981 posts

QUOTE(nefashu @ Sep 2 2021, 05:22 PM)
any reason why u need to bake? and how much for replacement?
the reason = any electronic parts which includes the mobo has a lot of components especially the microprocessor/microchip. the only holding the chips on that motherboard is the glue+solder. after sometime or even heavy multitasking to the point of high temp 80-90C this bonding could fracture/weak until one of its leg/pin came off from the board = no more contact. this will result for no boot up, beep, other weird error. this happen several times to my macbook air 2011. Under high intensive task or even gaming for Roblox i notice the CPU temp raised up to 90-95C. After prolonged usage at this temp, the macbook failed to ON like beeping, sometimes only Fan running but no boot. It happened 2-3 times already I noticed. The solution i baked the mother board in the oven, since it is no longer under warranty I dont mind at all doing it. It works flawlessly after the baking, no replacement parts whatsoever during the process. totally bake the motherboard. The unit then able to boot and can use like normal. Now I learn my lession, macbook air or maybe other macbook, you need to ensure the CPU temp never hit 80 and above for a very long time.

Not only motherboard, I also baked my old GTX 9800++ graphic cards after it has some weird error artifact on the screen. it restore my card well till today

This post has been edited by eddyann: Sep 3 2021, 10:02 AM
pizzaboy
post Sep 4 2021, 11:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
9,473 posts

QUOTE(parabellum @ Jun 5 2021, 01:09 AM)
anyone succeed in removing staingate on macbook pro? mine is retina 2014 model. If yes, I'd like to have some of your tips

I have tried using listerine, alcohol wipes, car polish, none of them works.
I actually know of a guy that can do it for RM200. I've got 6 MBP's in my company that went through the same problem, and he fixed them all. At the edges however, it's slightly less than perfect. But ya know what? I don't look at the black edges of my monitor anyway. So I wasn't fussed. Compared to the cost of a new one, at RM1,500-RM2,200? I'll pay 200 bucks any day of the week.

I can drop you a contact if you're keen.
parabellum
post Sep 12 2021, 08:44 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(pizzaboy @ Sep 4 2021, 11:58 PM)
I actually know of a guy that can do it for RM200. I've got 6 MBP's in my company that went through the same problem, and he fixed them all. At the edges however, it's slightly less than perfect. But ya know what? I don't look at the black edges of my monitor anyway. So I wasn't fussed. Compared to the cost of a new one, at RM1,500-RM2,200? I'll pay 200 bucks any day of the week.

I can drop you a contact if you're keen.
I got it sorted smile.gif I used something called staingate killer. Got it from shopee, around RM20 for one small bottle. Worked like magic however the screen is now super glossy. It's better nevertheless.
yeakhon
post Sep 26 2021, 10:47 PM

23 posts

I have 2 Magsafe 2 60W charger(T-tip) that I'm interested in repairing rather than buying a new one depending on repair cost. Anyone knows any person/company that does Magsafe 2 charger repair?

The original that came with my MBP has it's cable frayed all over, it's only working because I've taped all over the frayed parts, but even then takes a few tries to register connection and charge.

The other Magsafe 2 charger was bought about 2 years ago, and just suddenly stopped working. Cable was still fine, very minimal fraying, no visible breakage, but it just won't charge.
naughtyz
post Oct 10 2021, 04:55 PM

Regular
1,557 posts

helo everybody, im having problem with my imac 27 5k 2017 4.2ghz always auto shutdown, after few reading in 9to5 mac probably its overheat, i already send to change the downgrade the processor to i5, but it seem like it happen again, do you guys have any idea to solve this problem? thankx
keisu666 P
post Oct 22 2021, 06:35 PM

Probation
2 posts

Hi everyone,

I have a MBA mid 2013, now it keep turning into KP. I've run diagnostic and turns out that error PPM002. I've tried to fresh install OS, then I can use it for a few hours then it's happening again. Is it somewhat related to RAM issues? And if it to be repaired, how much will it cost?

Thanks in advanced!
calvin_ng
post Oct 24 2021, 08:00 AM

TeamCity | HCC | Insighters
1,576 posts

my Macbook Air (old ones) has 3 beep likely RAM issue any way to re-solder ram?

TSwei
post Oct 27 2021, 09:52 AM

6,491 posts

On-board RAM failure are pretty common on early MacBook Air models. There are someone shared some DIY method if you feeling adventurous.
keisu666 P
post Nov 4 2021, 01:09 AM

Probation
2 posts

QUOTE(wei @ Oct 27 2021, 09:52 AM)
On-board RAM failure are pretty common on early MacBook Air models. There are someone shared some DIY method if you feeling adventurous.
I would like to check on the DIY drool.gif

btw, my MBA is fine now, what I did was unplug the battery connector at the board, reconnect, re-install OS, now works like a charm.
TSwei
post Nov 5 2021, 09:17 AM

6,491 posts

The post is just few page behind if not wrong.
Moutzu
post Jun 13 2022, 02:57 PM

Casual
337 posts

Hi, I om using a vintage MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010). Please advise whether I can run Mas OS High Sierra? Or what should be the optimum OS I should use? Thank you.
TSwei
post Jun 15 2022, 10:07 AM

6,491 posts

QUOTE(Moutzu @ Jun 13 2022, 02:57 PM)
Hi, I om using a vintage MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010). Please advise whether I can run Mas OS High Sierra? Or what should be the optimum OS I should use? Thank you.
Hi, High Sierra is the last supported version from Apple. There are method you can install non-supported version. But we do not recommend without upgrading the unit. Just stay on High Sierra. Optimum version should be much older where the Mac still run snappy.
tzxsean
post Jul 8 2022, 07:28 PM

Lonely Driver
5,200 posts

-removed-

This post has been edited by tzxsean: Jul 28 2022, 01:35 AM
Mr.Docter
post Mar 13 2023, 10:28 AM

Doctorpreneurs
5,360 posts

Hi guys,

I was given 3 unit of MAC desktop but the previous owner forgot the password.

1 x iMac
2 x Mac Pro

Got few more but I lazy to take it yet.

May anyone direct me on which company/individual can provide onsite service to reset back all the unit? Area would be Wangsa Maju.

Thank you.
intothefantasy
post Apr 10 2023, 09:41 PM

Regular
1,558 posts

is there any shop in penang can help to upgrade old 2015 imac's hdd to ssd?
imboss..
post Apr 17 2023, 09:05 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

QUOTE(eddyann @ Sep 3 2021, 10:00 AM)
the reason = any electronic parts which includes the mobo has a lot of components especially the microprocessor/microchip. the only holding the chips on that motherboard is the glue+solder. after sometime or even heavy multitasking to the point of high temp 80-90C this bonding could fracture/weak until one of its leg/pin came off from the board = no more contact. this will result for no boot up, beep, other weird error. this happen several times to my macbook air 2011. Under high intensive task or even gaming for Roblox i notice the CPU temp raised up to 90-95C. After prolonged usage at this temp, the macbook failed to ON like beeping, sometimes only Fan running but no boot. It happened 2-3 times already I noticed. The solution i baked the mother board in the oven, since it is no longer under warranty I dont mind at all doing it. It works flawlessly after the baking, no replacement parts whatsoever during the process. totally bake the motherboard. The unit then able to boot and can use like normal. Now I learn my lession, macbook air or maybe other macbook, you need to ensure the CPU temp never hit 80 and above for a very long time.

Not only motherboard, I also baked my old GTX 9800++ graphic cards after it has some weird error artifact on the screen. it restore my card well till today
can give tips how to bake it properly? maybe youtube video reference if you have any.. thx in adv

98 Pages « < 96 97 98Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:36 PM