Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Nissan Almera Turbo 1.0 (N18) Ownership Experience, Sharing Thoughts / Experience / Issues

views

babisotong
post Mar 15 2023, 01:35 PM

On my way
602 posts

QUOTE(DS51 @ Mar 15 2023, 12:12 PM)
definitely cipet. they downtune the power. dunno why they use bigger engine but almost same output with previous gen. so stingy
maybe to help with reliability issue such as the meme *head gasket, EO starvation and etc*
Virlution
post Mar 15 2023, 01:46 PM

Casual
363 posts

no la.... subbie engine very reliable if you dun simply reflash or mod...

my previous turbo car also serbis every 10k mileage... dun care duration. car not heavily use so like 1 year serbis once

warm up before tekan and warm down properly... dun starve turbo of oil especially after vroom here and there. all meme are overboost and never warm up/down properly

na brz/86 can sebis 15k... even longer duration
howszat
post Mar 15 2023, 07:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,926 posts

QUOTE(Virlution @ Mar 15 2023, 01:46 PM)
no la.... subbie engine very reliable if you dun simply reflash or mod...

my previous turbo car also serbis every 10k mileage... dun care duration. car not heavily use so like 1 year serbis once

warm up before tekan and warm down properly... dun starve turbo of oil especially after vroom here and there. all meme are overboost and never warm up/down properly

na brz/86 can sebis 15k... even longer duration

Required only if you have been tekan-ing... isn't it?

howszat
post Mar 15 2023, 07:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,926 posts

QUOTE(DS51 @ Mar 15 2023, 12:05 PM)
definitely pricy and safety goodies lost to perodua which got way lower price. so pay more for less?. thats explain few nissan almera on the road.

That's comparing foreign cars with local cars. It's a value-for-money comparison which is valid by itself.

But that's not what I was referring to.

A more appropriate comparison is with the Vios and City and Mazda.

SleeplessEyes
post Mar 15 2023, 07:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,402 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 15 2023, 07:00 PM)
Required only if you have been tekan-ing... isn't it?
Nope. Applies to all cars.
My standard of practice

i) Idle the engine for 30 seconds (roughly) before putting into gear - Let the lubricant circulate properly even though I know its on 0W or 5W viscosity and it should be seconds .
ii) Then start driving. Engine oil temperature takes longer to warm up compared to your water temperature.
- I have the habit of not turning on the aircond until the water temperature reaches minimum 50C ; This is so that it doesn't place extra load during cold engine, and your radiator fan will cool it down, making it warm up slower.
- For cars without Celcius or OBD, its either the Blue light goes off or 2 bars (for my Proton) which indicates around 50C has passed.

iii) Drive gently first if possible. Not asking you to drive like a granny and hog the road. GO easy on the throttle.
- Even in F1, they heat up the engine block (without engine running) first before start of the race.
howszat
post Mar 15 2023, 08:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,926 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Mar 15 2023, 07:37 PM)
Nope. Applies to all cars.
My standard of practice

i) Idle the engine for 30 seconds (roughly) before putting into gear - Let the lubricant circulate properly even though I know its on 0W or 5W viscosity and it should be seconds .
ii) Then start driving. Engine oil temperature takes longer to warm up compared to your water temperature.
- I have the habit of not turning on the aircond until the water temperature reaches minimum 50C ; This is so that it doesn't place extra load during cold engine, and your radiator fan will cool it down, making it warm up slower.
- For cars without Celcius or OBD, its either the Blue light goes off or 2 bars (for my Proton) which indicates around 50C has passed.

iii) Drive gently first if possible. Not asking you to drive like a granny and hog the road. GO easy on the throttle.
- Even in F1, they heat up the engine block (without engine running) first before start of the race.

I have owned a turbo car before. There are some precautions you need to take. But that was sometime ago.

Technology has improved. I don't believe what you are doing is necessary anymore.

Virlution
post Mar 16 2023, 07:18 AM

Casual
363 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 15 2023, 08:03 PM)
I have owned a turbo car before. There are some precautions you need to take. But that was sometime ago.

Technology has improved. I don't believe what you are doing is necessary anymore.
not necessary to do such....

start car, idle few seconds when you drive off, keep the RPM low ... when you idle at below 1k rpm vs driving off at 2k-3k rpm is nothing... just dont go high rev and spool the turbo at full speed before warmed up

for warm down, usually when I turn to my street or near house, driving in shopping parking/looking for parking just chill and cruise, low RPM oil will flow and cool down. after stop, idle alnother few seconds while turning off AC/Radio is good enough.

Some people like to vroom vroom announcing to everyone they arrived, then turn off the car, this will cause the turbo to heat up and starve of oil.

Frequent oil change also good if you drive like a maniac all the time, too much heat the oil break down faster.
Most car with stock low pressure turbos, not much additional precautions required.
littlefire
post Mar 20 2023, 04:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 15 2023, 09:03 PM)

Engine oil i can say improve a lot by using fully synthetic and lower viscosity for faster oil flow & protection

But regarding turbo cooling system might need to take note on that, if your turbo engine system does not got like modern continental which got additional oil or water cooler system (some use electric water pump to keep running) to cool down the turbo after it is off it is better to idle for a while like 10~15 seconds or fit a turbo timer with oil temperature or O2 sensor reading to help prolong the turbo life.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Mar 20 2023, 04:07 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Mar 22 2023, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,402 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Mar 20 2023, 04:02 PM)
Engine oil i can say improve a lot by using fully synthetic and lower viscosity for faster oil flow & protection

But regarding turbo cooling system might need to take note on that, if your turbo engine system does not got like modern continental which got additional oil or water cooler system (some use electric water pump to keep running) to cool down the turbo after it is off it is better to idle for a while like 10~15 seconds or fit a turbo timer with oil temperature or O2 sensor reading to help prolong the turbo life.
QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 15 2023, 08:03 PM)

Yes you are also correct ,howszat. I'm also using Full synthetic.
Its just a self-precautionary measure despite not written in the manual.

Usually I will intentionally idle the car with aircond on (depends on how long it take), to bring the shutdown temperature down to below 87C.
This is for Exora. I know other turbo cars not required due to better cooling system design (and dont have Oil Cooler Assembly)

For Exora, anything above 88C it will auto trigger the radiator fan and it takes minutes cool it down until it drops below 88C. On normal driving, it will hover between 86-88C.
Cause when engine shutdown it will rise up to 90-91C. I've monitored this through the OBD. And for Exora, it does have a separate electric water pump.

Unfortunately my usual app, is not able to read oil temperature from Exora's ECU.
@littlefire, regarding about your comment "O2 sensor reading to help prolong the turbo life"
Exora's ECU allows reading of catalytic converter temperature, but I find it useless.

Hope this explains well my precautionary measures.

howszat
post Mar 22 2023, 08:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,926 posts

If the engine has been operating at high
rpm for an extended period of time, let it
idle for a few minutes prior to turn off.

Nothing too specific from the Almera manual.
ayamxxx
post Mar 24 2023, 02:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,227 posts

Ts, the only not good for Nissan is Tan Choong Motor. Try follow fb group, u can see why, for most Nissan model here. And I read most ex Nissan owner not even bother to touch them again if still under TCM. Hint, warranty claim poor, and tendency to use low quality parts (localized?) for model sold here by TCM
Zhik
post Jan 11 2024, 08:42 PM

eeerrrmmmnnn, stupidity has no limit?
1,024 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Mar 24 2023, 02:31 PM)
Ts, the only not good for Nissan is Tan Choong Motor. Try follow fb group, u can see why, for most Nissan model here. And I read most ex Nissan owner not even bother to touch them again if still under TCM. Hint, warranty claim poor, and tendency to use low quality parts (localized?) for model sold here by TCM
Still like this nowadays?
No wonder my friend father went to viet branch.
pigduck
post Feb 19 2024, 10:10 PM

Casual
416 posts

how is the almera for the rear seat passengers? Is it soft and comfortable?
littlefire
post Feb 21 2024, 09:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

QUOTE(pigduck @ Feb 19 2024, 11:10 PM)
how is the almera for the rear seat passengers? Is it soft and comfortable?
Go and try, different people might got different expectation.
For me Nissan seats are quite comfortable, more better than Honda personally.
They always market their seats as zero gravity.

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/INNOVATION...PIRED_CAR_SEAT/

This post has been edited by littlefire: Feb 21 2024, 09:58 AM
SportyHandling
post Feb 21 2024, 12:16 PM

Casual
491 posts

QUOTE(keithdx @ Oct 27 2022, 01:12 PM)
Before I could share any more on the experience, there's already a few comments here and there.

Got the Almera in white, paint so far all good. Whether thin or not, I have no idea. But I do wash the car weekly.

I have no complains with the interior aside from the Beige wrap on the Dashboard and on the seats. Would rather have it in all black.

MY OVERALL DRIVING EXPERIENCE THUS FAR (FROM PURCHASE TO 1,000KM)

Just keep in mind that, I do not know much driving terms, just a regular person sharing so others may find it helpful.

- It's quiet. Everything is dampened quite well. For the doors, you may have to close it a little bit more harder haha. Nothing wrong with that. Quiet maybe because of the Continental UC6 that it comes with.

- If I'm not mistaken, Full Tank is about RM 65, I will fill it until I am able to see the petrol at the top of the hole. Have not gone entirely on the highway but so far it with a city highway + city, it's about 450 - 470KM per fill (my experience). The counting on the meter shows 13KM/L I think. Home to work is about 1.5KM. So not much long distance travel, all nearby and sometimes highway.

- Used the Cruise Control once, don't find it really useful unless it's Adaptive Cruise Control.

- The Side / Rear / 360 Cameras are great and pretty accurate. During my initial test drive, the Salesperson showed how accurate it was. So no complains there. I like it that when I put it in reverse and turn the steering wheel, the guides turn as well. Don't want to start any fires here but it's better than the cameras on the current Flagship X50.

- There was one time I was about to enter the Smart Tunnel and just before entering I think there was this Height Limit sign just above the road (stretched across). I was going at about 80KM/H I think and suddenly the emergency brake thingy kicked in and went off after about 1 second / half a second. Not sure why but maybe it detected a possible hit.

- I use an Android and there's no Android Auto. But it connects via Bluetooth automatically whenever I switch on the car, so that doesn't really bother me. I still prefer to use Waze on my phone. It has Apple CarPlay but it's not wireless though.

- Acceleration is alright. It does the job when I need it to. It can take curves at a pretty reasonable speed, tried it at 90KM/H+, I didn't feel much, was pretty planted and smooth. I think the seats (because it's pretty bolstered on the side) helped as well.

- The top of the Dashboard is flat so can place the Smart Tag Holder and etc easily.

- Aircond is cold. And I don't think rear air vents are needed. Even with the lowest speed, it's cold.

That's about all there is thus far. Just done my 1,000KM Service and will update soon!

Any questions, drop ahead
Somehow I missed this thread earlier. Looks like you may be the only owner of the Nissan Almera Turbo on this forum. We took delivery of the Almera Turbo Kuro black edition about 3 weeks ago just before Chinese New year.

May I ask if you have installed the Ultra Racing Stage 1 bars to your vehicle? Are there any other experiences you may want to share after owning the car for more than 2 years now? I got to know that TCEAS actually provides this Ultra Racing bar installation at all their service centres. Would like to know on the differences (if any) on handling of the vehicle if the UR bars are installed.

The Almera turbo is actually driven by my dad and I have not spent much time with the vehicle. Some key points of the Almera Turbo as follows:-

1. Noise insulation inside the cabin is rather good for a vehicle in this class. It's a quiet drive.
2. Acceleration power from the 1.0 litre turbo engine, no complaints. It cannot match the power of a 2.0 litre NA but the acceleration feels more powerful than most 1.5 litre NA engines. Some commented that the power is comparable to a 1.8 litre and I would tend to agree. Most 1.8 litre vehicles on the market are larger C-segment sedan and SUV such as Corolla sedan and Corolla Cross. Although they might appear more powerful on paper, in real life the acceleration feel is more or less the same as the Almera turbo due to the heavier weight. I've test driven both Corolla sedan and Corolla Cross prior to getting the Almera turbo. The acceleration power of the Corolla feels lethargic in comparison to the Ford Focus 2.0. As a matter of fact I felt the power surge of the Almera turbo to be comparable or better than the Corolla in the low to mid end speed.
3. Suspension feels soft and comfortable when going over speed bumps and undulations. Certainly tuned more toward comfort than sporty handling.
4. Steering is light and easy to drive. Steering feedback and sharpness are not as good as the Ford Focus but decent.
5. Tried bringing the car to 140 km/h on the highways and it doesn't feel too stable at higher speeds perhaps due to the undulations on the stretch along Kesas highway. It's a bit floaty at higher speeds. My benchmark is high as the Ford Focus I used to own for 10 years not only has excellent handling but also very good stability at high speeds.
6. A slight aeroplane "woo woo" sound between speeds 20 km/h to 100 km/h, not sure if from tyres or CVT. Will have it checked at the service centre during the 1,000km service.

Although the Almera turbo is considered to be quiet, the quitest and most comfortable vehicle I've driven (owned) is the Nissan Sylphy 2.0. Can't hear much engine, road and outside vehicle noise with the Sylphy. But in terms of handling the Sylphy is worse than the Almera turbo. When taking a corner, you have to do it at very low speeds or else you and all the other occupants sitting at the rear seat will be flung to one side.

This post has been edited by SportyHandling: Feb 21 2024, 12:35 PM
littlefire
post Feb 22 2024, 03:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

QUOTE(SportyHandling @ Feb 21 2024, 01:16 PM)

May I ask if you have installed the Ultra Racing Stage 1 bars to your vehicle? Are there any other experiences you may want to share after owning the car for more than 2 years now? I got to know that TCEAS actually provides this Ultra Racing bar installation at all their service centres. Would like to know on the differences (if any) on handling of the vehicle if the UR bars are installed.

If you did not always drive in corners high-speed, the difference will not be too much. Besides that, ultra racing are mostly using mild steel which is hard if driving thru bad road condition might feel the car more jumpy. Personally i would recommend Cusco (Aluminum), light weight, softer material and does the job also but at a higher cost.
ktek
post Feb 22 2024, 07:01 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,667 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Feb 22 2024, 03:02 PM)
If you did not always drive in corners high-speed, the difference will not be too much. Besides that, ultra racing are mostly using mild steel which is hard if driving thru bad road condition might feel the car more jumpy. Personally i would recommend Cusco (Aluminum), light weight, softer material and does the job also but at a higher cost.
all depend thickness spec rite
littlefire
post Feb 23 2024, 09:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Feb 22 2024, 08:01 PM)
all depend thickness spec rite
If thickness related usually that is for anti roll bar, for other bar depends on raw material, design and how many point to link it is very subjective, but ultra racing as per name is more suitable for racing purpose. A lot of my friends already move to Cusco or original tuners from car manufacturer, example like Nismo, Impul bars for normal road use cars as their products usually can struct a balance in term of driving comfort & performance.

In the past a lot of their normal road cars fitted with ultra racings bars and in the end most remove due to harsher ride and if involve in accident need even more time & money to remove & repair. Just imagine the bar still intact, but your chassis already bend. This is not good, as the bar did not help absorb the impact but transfer it to other link area. This hard material stuff if it is roll cage then no problem, but for normal bars that is not a good idea.
ktek
post Feb 23 2024, 09:23 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,667 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Feb 23 2024, 09:15 AM)
If thickness related usually that is for anti roll bar, for other bar depends on raw material, design and how many point to link it is very subjective, but ultra racing as per name is more suitable for racing purpose. A lot of my friends already move to Cusco or original tuners from car manufacturer, example like Nismo, Impul bars for normal road use cars as their products usually can struct a balance in term of driving comfort & performance.

In the past a lot of their normal road cars fitted with ultra racings bars and in the end most remove due to harsher ride and if involve in accident need even more time & money to remove & repair. Just imagine the bar still intact, but your chassis already bend. This is not good, as the bar did not help absorb the impact but transfer it to other link area. This hard material stuff if it is roll cage then no problem, but for normal bars that is not a good idea.
that y UR make packages in stage1, stage 2.5 whatever
similar to other brand around local markets. zerone & super circuit so on
make owner feels cool. no harm no big effect.

just like chinese herbal tea. drink more feel cold. less cough cure sore throat.
when drinking plain water get the same effect. hahaha ^^
ktek
post Feb 23 2024, 09:25 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,667 posts

plain water ice kosong 50sen/ rm1 maybe
herbal tea price at least triple of it.

also higher status compare to other table who dont order drinks at all (usually me) laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ktek: Feb 23 2024, 09:27 AM

6 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0463sec    5.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 03:48 AM