Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I just started working out at the gym., Need advice to gain weight and muscle

views

TSlatte_caramel P
post Nov 17 2019, 01:54 AM, updated 5y ago

Probation
1 posts

I'm 170cm, 55kg and I just started working out at the gym about 3 weeks ago and I see some progress. I'm happy with it but I'm not too happy with my weight. Here are my problems why it's hard for me to gain weight:
1) High metabolism - Even if I eat a lot of food, I only gain few grams in weight for few hours and then it drops back(wtf)
2) Working - Don't have time to eat(Only lunch and dinner)

So I'm seeking an advice from you guys of what should I do to gain some weight and muscles. Should I buy supplements like mass or whey?

If important, here's my workout routine - chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, jogging on treadmill for 2km in 15~ minutes
helven
post Nov 18 2019, 01:30 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(latte_caramel @ Nov 17 2019, 01:54 AM)
I'm 170cm, 55kg and I just started working out at the gym about 3 weeks ago and I see some progress. I'm happy with it but I'm not too happy with my weight. Here are my problems why it's hard for me to gain weight:
1) High metabolism - Even if I eat a lot of food, I only gain few grams in weight for few hours and then it drops back(wtf)

So I'm seeking an advice from you guys of what should I do to gain some weight and muscles. Should I buy supplements like mass or whey?

If important, here's my workout routine - chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, jogging on treadmill for 2km in 15~ minutes
1. Completely normal when you gain weight on scale if you put 100g meat + 100g rice + 250ml water into your stomach or you're just holding it with plastic bag, then you pee/poop/sweat, you will lose the weight you seen on scale
2. Don't have time to eat then means working to you has higher priority than eating, fix that, eat the damn food.

No until you fix your diet. No mass gainer definitely. It is whey + loads of sugar.

Don't work on muscle that you can see on the mirror only. You are introducing muscular imbalance to your body can will cause your posture to fall.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/371250

If you have trouble performing free weight compound exercise such as bench press, start with empty bar or lighter bar, dumbell, or start with machine so you know what is chest muscle and how to use them and eventually you still want to do the compound given your body is healthy/no injuries/no physiological issue

Lastly, be consistent, and have enough sleep. Don't underestimate consistency and power of sleep

This post has been edited by helven: Dec 23 2019, 11:08 AM
Amedion
post Nov 18 2019, 02:02 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

You having difficulty to gain weight and you add cardio. That defeat the purpose although its good for cardiovascular health but you should focus one at a time.
Miracles
post Nov 18 2019, 02:14 PM

★ Detective /K ★
1,171 posts

Track your meals. I don't believe, "I ATE A LOT BUT I STILL DON'T GAIN WEIGHT".

Sounds like you are overestimating your calories intake.
Ethan Hunt
post Nov 18 2019, 03:05 PM

Getting Started
291 posts

Im more less the same like you bro.

2) Working - Don't have time to eat(Only lunch and dinner) - This need to change.

For me, Im at work 9:00am - 6:00pm. I make sure i had 3 meal in the office, which 1 meal consist at least 400cal. Breakfast, Lunch and Snack (about 4-5pm).
After back home at night - 8:00pm - 11:00pm, I make sure i had 2-3 meal at home, which 1 meal consist at least 400cal. Dinner, Snack, Supper.

At the end of the day you will get at least 2000cal. Then just add the calorie surplus to your TDEE. It work. Once you familiar, then next step to track your protein intake. I read to build muscle need about 1gm per 1lbs body weight. Chicken breast + Egg + Protein Shake will do the trick for the protein intake. At least for me.

Good luck and have fun.
Ethan Hunt
post Nov 18 2019, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
291 posts

QUOTE(Miracles @ Nov 18 2019, 02:14 PM)
Track your meals. I don't believe, "I ATE A LOT BUT I STILL DON'T GAIN WEIGHT".

Sounds like you are overestimating your calories intake.
+1 Agreed. I also like that before ler. I believe i eat lot but don't gain. laugh.gif

So 1 day i decide to track my meal for a week. What a surprise below is my cal intake for a week.

Monday - 1600cal
Tuesday - 1200 cal
Wednesday - 2300 cal
Thursday - 1300 cal
Friday - 1600 cal

Its not consistent. 1 day i eat a lot. Next day eat less. doh.gif

The_Rock
post Dec 21 2019, 08:12 AM

Casual
447 posts

Eat more train more regularly

Eat sleep train repeat
Armesh
post Dec 22 2019, 01:01 AM

Regular
1,485 posts

OP need go on internet/youtube and do 4 hours/day research for 30 days minimum before ever stepping into gym.
/thread
Amedion
post Dec 26 2019, 01:59 PM

3,377 posts

QUOTE(Armesh @ Dec 22 2019, 01:01 AM)
OP need go on internet/youtube and do 4 hours/day research for 30 days minimum before ever stepping into gym.
/thread
What if they bump into 6packs shortcut videos or research that says earth is flat? laugh.gif
Armesh
post Dec 26 2019, 11:59 PM

Regular
1,485 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Dec 26 2019, 01:59 PM)
What if they bump into 6packs shortcut videos or research that says earth is flat?  laugh.gif
With that much research time, they will encounter also omarisuf, eric helms, matt ogus, vitvirtuan physique, etcs and attain enlightenment.
Amedion
post Dec 27 2019, 11:37 AM

3,377 posts

QUOTE(Armesh @ Dec 26 2019, 11:59 PM)
With that much research time, they will encounter also omarisuf, eric helms, matt ogus, vitvirtuan physique, etcs and attain enlightenment.
Don't think so. They will skip those videos. Ppl these days are lazy ass. They don't want face reality. They want shortcut. Most probably will watch those tabata videos and thinking that's the way to get jacked. laugh.gif
Amedion
post Jan 9 2020, 05:45 PM

3,377 posts

QUOTE(king timidandslow @ Jan 8 2020, 11:07 PM)
when i think back to my days as a newbie in the gym years ago, the best investment i made was to get a personal trainer . the trainer will show you the ropes about how to perform all the basic strength training routines, and most importantly of all, how to use the free weights. rm1k well spent. after you have perfected the basic movements then you can workout on your own or with buddies.
You got a good trainer. Good for you.
I saw bunch of ppl go curl and situps all day long. Pity them.
statikinetic
post Jan 10 2020, 01:40 PM

BaneCat
2,903 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Jan 9 2020, 05:45 PM)
You got a good trainer. Good for you.
I saw bunch of ppl go curl and situps all day long. Pity them.
Maybe their goal is to do curls and situps all day. biggrin.gif
Amedion
post Jan 10 2020, 01:44 PM

3,377 posts

Can't blame those PT really.
Imagine how many newbie quit because of compound exercises.
Must give them some easy routine and false hope.
sagethesausage
post Feb 5 2020, 01:27 PM

On my way
604 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Jan 10 2020, 01:44 PM)
Can't blame those PT really.
Imagine how many newbie quit because of compound exercises.
Must give them some easy routine and false hope.
I offered to teach my newbie friends compound exercises for free and all they want to know is how to use machines...then complain about no visual progress in just one month...

Needless to say I don't offer free coaching anymore

This post has been edited by sagethesausage: Feb 5 2020, 01:27 PM
Amedion
post Feb 5 2020, 04:58 PM

3,377 posts

QUOTE(sagethesausage @ Feb 5 2020, 01:27 PM)
I offered to teach my newbie friends compound exercises for free and all they want to know is how to use machines...then complain about no visual progress in just one month...

Typical gym goers just use the machine everyday to look pumped.

Its like balloon. You don't pump then it will become smaller by days.
zzpp_low
post Feb 5 2020, 11:42 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(sagethesausage @ Feb 5 2020, 02:27 PM)

yikes shame they'd do that. I'd kill to have some one show my stuff like that. i tried gaining last year, i didn't commit to going to the gym because i had no clue where to start and how to do them safely, so i only gained a little bit then i got fell ill and got too lazy to get back into it. now I'm trying to relearn everything and steadily get my weight back up (180 cm, 53kg right now). thank goodness for online resources and communities to ask around for info.
helven
post Feb 6 2020, 12:20 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(child of guzman @ Feb 6 2020, 12:10 PM)
your bmi is abnormally low. may i suggest you eat ON mass gainer, it comes in 10lb bag , you can buy it from gnc
2 big no
1. no mass gainer
mass gainer is not as good as it promised. The 1k calorie consists of 2 big washing powder scoop, which can be easily replaced by whey / banana / peanut butter, worse come to worst, icecream / milo / sugar, yield same calorie, same fullness, with so much less money to spent.
2. no gnc
overpriced supplement store next to direct sales
statikinetic
post Feb 6 2020, 10:15 PM

BaneCat
2,903 posts

QUOTE(zzpp_low @ Feb 5 2020, 11:42 PM)
yikes shame they'd do that. I'd kill to have some one show my stuff like that. i tried gaining last year, i didn't commit to going to the gym because i had no clue where to start and how to do them safely, so i only gained a little bit then  i got fell ill and got too lazy to get back into it.  now I'm trying to relearn everything and steadily get my weight back up (180 cm, 53kg right now).  thank goodness for online resources and communities to ask around for info.
Here is the secret ingredient to gym success.
Consistency.

Keep going and gains will come your way. I'm about your height....but 30 kgs heavier. Hard to imagine a 53kg frame.
Amedion
post Feb 7 2020, 12:55 PM

3,377 posts

Many beginners will not get result.

Why? Read too much. Worry too much. Build anxiety more than muscle.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:13 AM