Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guide: Bikers 101, The codes, and how to not die

views

blackbox14
post Aug 9 2019, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(mdziaf @ Aug 8 2019, 05:34 PM)
Some things i've noticed doing my commute to work...

1. I find it difficult to turn right compared to turning left (feels a bit kekok to turn right) - you guys have any tips on this?

2. Filtering traffic feels a bit pressured because i take it (too) slow for the riders behind.. Still trying to get used to judging the width of my bike vs the gap available.. Sigh sad.gif
1. What bike are you using? Do you mean cornering at speeds above 20~30km/h or just turning at low speeds under 20km/h?

2. I've had my bike for nearly a month and still cannot filter properly, lol. I'm slowly getting better, but while I continue to adjust, I just find a space in the traffic jam where I can go in to let those faster riders pass. After it's clear, I begin to filter again. Those faster riders wait for no one, so there is no point letting them pressure you into an accident.

This post has been edited by blackbox14: Aug 9 2019, 12:43 AM
mdziaf
post Aug 9 2019, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Aug 9 2019, 12:42 AM)
1. What bike are you using? Do you mean cornering at speeds above 20~30km/h or just turning at low speeds under 20km/h?

2. I've had my bike for nearly a month and still cannot filter properly, lol. I'm slowly getting better, but while I continue to adjust, I just find a space in the traffic jam where I can go in to let those faster riders pass. After it's clear, I begin to filter again. Those faster riders wait for no one, so there is no point letting them pressure you into an accident.
1. Modenas V15... Its mostly during higher speeds (40+ km/h). I think I know why now.. I have a tendency to not countersteer when turning right i pull on the handlebar instead of pushing to the right.. Today was a bit better but I have to proactively remind myself.

2. Thats actually a good suggestion.. Will look out for those spots and give way to them.. Best to ride at ease then be all pressured.
blackbox14
post Aug 9 2019, 10:58 AM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(mdziaf @ Aug 9 2019, 09:10 AM)
1. Modenas V15... Its mostly during higher speeds (40+ km/h). I think I know why now.. I have a tendency to not countersteer when turning right i pull on the handlebar instead of pushing to the right.. Today was a bit better but I have to proactively remind myself.
Yes, you definitely need to countersteer at that speed.

2. Thats actually a good suggestion.. Will look out for those spots and give way to them.. Best to ride at ease then be all pressured.
Assuming that this is filtering during traffic jam or near-standstill, do take care while doing this. In some cases, the car you end up behind will suddenly brake, or the car behind you doesn't notice that you've slipped into the gap. Occasionally there will be other cars from the other lanes that want to fill the gap as well.

The key is to find a big enough gap so that the riders tailgating you can pass. It's actually safer for you to be filtering at low speeds in a traffic jam because you're at less risk to be rear-ended by a driver who wasn't paying attention, or worse, sandwiched between cars.

On bigger highways like PLUS, you can opt to use the emergency lane instead of filtering, which is much safer bar the uncommon douchebag driver who will dive into the emergency lane. The use of that lane by motorcycles is sort of a grey zone though so do mind that.
mdziaf
post Aug 9 2019, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Aug 9 2019, 10:58 AM)
Assuming that this is filtering during traffic jam or near-standstill, do take care while doing this. In some cases, the car you end up behind will suddenly brake, or the car behind you doesn't notice that you've slipped into the gap. Occasionally there will be other cars from the other lanes that want to fill the gap as well.

The key is to find a big enough gap so that the riders tailgating you can pass. It's actually safer for you to be filtering at low speeds in a traffic jam because you're at less risk to be rear-ended by a driver who wasn't paying attention, or worse, sandwiched between cars.

On bigger highways like PLUS, you can opt to use the emergency lane instead of filtering, which is much safer bar the uncommon douchebag driver who will dive into the emergency lane. The use of that lane by motorcycles is sort of a grey zone though so do mind that.
Thanks very much for the advice will keep this in mind when I ride. notworthy.gif
Cyphereza
post Aug 9 2019, 11:50 AM

Jedi Catâ„¢
Group Icon
2,311 posts

QUOTE(mdziaf @ Aug 8 2019, 05:34 PM)
2. Filtering traffic feels a bit pressured because i take it (too) slow for the riders behind.. Still trying to get used to judging the width of my bike vs the gap available.. Sigh sad.gif
Find a bike which is at your pace, just follow behind them. But not too close (if too close, they'll think you want to pass them). If in front of you is empty, and behind you got other rider, let em pass, safely of course.
leinnz
post Aug 15 2019, 11:34 AM

oldfags
755 posts

check the stem bearings. might need to replace or regrease. my lagenda once had this issue once
basilisk
post Aug 27 2019, 01:25 AM

30 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

how to avoid this?

This post has been edited by basilisk: Sep 4 2019, 09:48 AM
Quazacolt
post Sep 6 2019, 10:26 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 27 2019, 01:25 AM)
how to avoid this?

Paranoid that every car is out to kill you, always check mirror, always on edge and always on alert.

But, talk is easy and if I practiced all of what I said since day one of riding, I probably would have a normal spine.
blackbox14
post Sep 7 2019, 01:28 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

Lately haven't been confident in overtaking cause my view of the right side rear view mirror is blurred. Difficult to judge how fast cars and bikes are approaching. Found out today my right eye astigmatism got worse.

Anyone have any advice for the type of frame for glasses best suited for full face helmet? Normally I don't wear my glasses for riding.

This post has been edited by blackbox14: Sep 7 2019, 01:29 PM
Quazacolt
post Sep 9 2019, 07:02 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Sep 7 2019, 01:28 PM)
Anyone have any advice for the type of frame for glasses best suited for full face helmet? Normally I don't wear my glasses for riding.
I wear sunglasses

Try to get very flexible poly carbonate (basically plastic) , or even super light (and flexible) titanium frames (expensive though)
Alternatively, You used to contact lenses?

Or try to also find full face helmets that particularly advertise/accommodate for glasses (most, if not all high end ones do, even the racing ones but those get a bit lesser as the focus is more on safety/fitting/weight.)
blackbox14
post Sep 9 2019, 07:42 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 9 2019, 07:02 PM)
I wear sunglasses

Try to get very flexible poly carbonate (basically plastic) , or even super light (and flexible) titanium frames (expensive though)
Alternatively, You used to contact lenses?

Or try to also find full face helmets that particularly advertise/accommodate for glasses (most, if not all high end ones do, even the racing ones but those get a bit lesser as the focus is more on safety/fitting/weight.)
I saw titanium frames at the stores, definitely out of my budget haha.

Currently using the HJC CS-15 which has the small openings for glasses, but my aluminum frame glasses have those plastic bulging sections at the ends of the arms. Makes it very difficult to get them into the slots.

EDIT: Tried asking about contact lenses also, but the optometrist said the right eye's required power is so high that they don't make contacts like that.

This post has been edited by blackbox14: Sep 9 2019, 07:43 PM
Quazacolt
post Sep 9 2019, 09:52 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(blackbox14 @ Sep 9 2019, 07:42 PM)
I saw titanium frames at the stores, definitely out of my budget haha.

Currently using the HJC CS-15 which has the small openings for glasses, but my aluminum frame glasses have those plastic bulging sections at the ends of the arms. Makes it very difficult to get them into the slots.

EDIT: Tried asking about contact lenses also, but the optometrist said the right eye's required power is so high that they don't make contacts like that.
Hmm you'll have to go try out other helmets and/or other spectacle
blackbox14
post Sep 9 2019, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 9 2019, 09:52 PM)
Hmm you'll have to go try out other helmets and/or other spectacle
Ideally spectacle. I just got the helmet so don't plan to change it for a while. Hard for me to find a comfy helmet below RM 500. sweat.gif
basilisk
post Sep 28 2019, 12:01 AM

30 posts

theres speed limit on this road...

....... damn every bike crash dash cam vid fb will cover it...

This post has been edited by basilisk: Sep 28 2019, 08:32 PM
basilisk
post Sep 28 2019, 12:03 AM

30 posts

user posted image

user posted image

every one can learn frm incidents like this.

if you watched the vid. the car fully moved over to right lane, there is a delay, then only the bike came crashing.

the driver can claim that he/she checked the mirrors and could not see the bike anywhere.

if theres big heavy vehicles behind the camera car blocking the biker's views or biker cilok @ high speed from left, biker wont able to see the car doing the lane switch.

This post has been edited by basilisk: Sep 30 2019, 01:38 PM
DemonKnight
post Oct 2 2019, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

fast,

faster,

fasting in hospital

eliteleather P
post Oct 21 2019, 02:16 PM

Probation
0 posts

What Bikes are best for roads
Kaboku
post Oct 23 2019, 09:27 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(eliteleather @ Oct 21 2019, 02:16 PM)
IMHO all bikes are good for roads. Depends on the distance and how comfortable you want to be
ajaibman
post Oct 24 2019, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(eliteleather @ Oct 21 2019, 02:16 PM)
The one that has 2 wheels connected by frame and a turning handle bar for balance and steering...
Kaboku
post Oct 25 2019, 09:25 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Oct 24 2019, 04:35 PM)
The one that has 2 wheels connected by frame and a turning handle bar for balance and steering...
Bro you forgot the bike needs sth to power it. Either manual or motorised power.

10 Pages « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:30 PM