10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guide: Bikers 101, The codes, and how to not die

views

TSTheOnly
post Sep 10 2018, 09:49 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
87 posts

As i’m new to the biking world, im not sure on all the unwritten rules of the road, can any experienced rider share abit? Like how to tell if someone “bakar line”? How to know when its safe to cut other biker during a corner? Cannot cut at all?

Here’s a few from me:

1. At traffic light tu, janganlah block the only fking way to the wide spot of roads. Ie. Don’t fking stop directly beside 2 cars if in front/around got alot of space! You’re causing all biker to queue in 1 line beside car - dangerous.

2. Lanesplitting, seriously do not farking race across traffic while lanesplitting, anything above 30km/h speed difference with other traffic jem is TOO dangerous, FU to those tailgaters causing unnecessary stress coz you’ll never know when they will do something stupid.

3. Don’t tailgate car, dont stay directly behind cars!! No matter u using 999mm brembo brake also no use, cars will always outbrake you in day to day situation. Also, u will lose your life if you tailgate and crash, as compared to driving, u lose your insurance only if crash while tailgating.

4. Similar to above, as a biker, please lah don’t, DO NOT follow cars traffic speed, you are annoying as fuck to car drivers. I hate the most when I driving and got bikes always speed matching with me. Apalanciao, you either cut me and get the fuck off or move away to slow lane. You are not safe riding at 100km/h at fastlane eventho all cars are moving at 100km/h.

5. Stop jumping the red light. Just.. stop.

6. Do not roadrage VS cars, you will undeniably die if you met someone that is not a pondan. Ie. For me i will without a question bang the fk out of you until you fly if you actually triggered me unnecessarily. I’m a biker myself, but no mercy for orang bodoh.

qqmeng
post Sep 10 2018, 10:05 PM

Regular
1,097 posts

What bike are you riding?
SUSskyblu3
post Sep 10 2018, 10:08 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(TheOnly @ Sep 10 2018, 09:49 PM)

1. At traffic light tu, janganlah block the only fking way to the wide spot of roads. Ie. Don’t fking stop directly beside 2 cars if in front/around got alot of space! You’re causing all biker to queue in 1 line beside car - dangerous.

Do you know you are suppose to stop behind the line?
Car or bike, stop behind the line at the traffic light. Don't fcking stop in front at the wide spot. That area sometimes is for padestrian to cross the road.

Sorry but I'm those who stop behind the line.
Cyphereza
post Sep 10 2018, 11:37 PM

Jedi Cat™
Group Icon
2,311 posts

As i’m new to the biking world, im not sure on all the unwritten rules of the road, can any experienced rider share abit? Like how to tell if someone “bakar line”? How to know when its safe to cut other biker during a corner? Cannot cut at all?

Here’s a few from me:

2. Lanesplitting, seriously do not farking race across traffic while lanesplitting, anything above 30km/h speed difference with other traffic jem is TOO dangerous, FU to those tailgaters causing unnecessary stress coz you’ll never know when they will do something stupid.

3. Don’t tailgate car, dont stay directly behind cars!! No matter u using 999mm brembo brake also no use, cars will always outbrake you in day to day situation. Also, u will lose your life if you tailgate and crash, as compared to driving, u lose your insurance only if crash while tailgating.

4. Similar to above, as a biker, please lah don’t, DO NOT follow cars traffic speed, you are annoying as fuck to car drivers. I hate the most when I driving and got bikes always speed matching with me. Apalanciao, you either cut me and get the fuck off or move away to slow lane. You are not safe riding at 100km/h at fastlane eventho all cars are moving at 100km/h.

6. Do not roadrage VS cars, you will undeniably die if you met someone that is not a pondan. Ie. For me i will without a question bang the fk out of you until you fly if you actually triggered me unnecessarily. I’m a biker myself, but no mercy for orang bodoh.
7. Loud pipes save lives... not as much as a loud horn. People seem to notice horns compared to loud exhaust.

8. Wear bright (or a lot of reflective) jacket in the rain.

9. If can, don't stop under the bridge/flyover when it is raining. If cannot, make sure you dismount your bike and stand waaaay behind the roadside railings.

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Sep 10 2018, 10:08 PM)
Car or bike, stop behind the line at the traffic light.  Don't fcking stop in front at the wide spot.  That area sometimes is for padestrian to cross the road.

I stop where it is safe to do so (of course not on zebra crossing) and not blocking others. Most of the time, cars will stop ON the line. But if you're in KL city, make sure you don't go past the motorcycle stop area.
Kadaj
post Sep 11 2018, 06:32 AM

On my way
536 posts

I think all riders should urge government to add more room for bikers & cyclists to stop and ride safely while waiting for traffic light to go green.

Attached Image

This is how foreign country implement it and the gov clearly doesn't respect and care about cyclists in Msia since countless number of riders being hit and killed by larger vehicles since the road design is not friendly to cyclists.
deadwolf
post Sep 11 2018, 11:00 AM

0 posts

1. Give way to delivery riders (pizza, foodpanda delivereat etc) these guys are riding for a living to a schedule and they don't wanna be stuck behind the numpty who thought taking his versys/GS with panniers as wide as a car in rush hour traffic would be a good idea.

2. Give way to anything going faster than you, whether its a 50cc kapchai, vespa or whatever. You don't know why they are going fast (might be a personal emergency) so don't let your ego force yourself to stay in their way (because small bike cannot potong big bike everrrrr!!1!11) or try to keep up with them. Let them go and ride your own ride.

3. Don't overtake other riders unless its safe (straight road which you can see quite far ahead) and they wave you by. Applies to both group and solo riding. Never overtake other riders on blind corners.

4. If you have to use your horn, do multiple quick beeps (like a machine gun firing) rather than one long beep; IMO from experience this works better at getting drivers' attention.

5. If you see a car enter your lane from a junction up ahead, watch out for 'copycat' drivers who will try to follow them into your lane even though its no longer safe (because you've traveled much closer during the time). Don't assume that the car which just entered your lane is the only one.

6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule

7. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace
https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/becom...d-riding-skills

8. When riding above the posted speed limit in an area; assume that all other road users in the area are assuming that no one else is traveling faster than said speed limit. If you're going 100km/h in a 60km/h zone, assume that everyone else is only expecting people to be travelling at 60km/h, resulting in different expectations of margin of error which you need to be prepared for.

9. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you.
basilisk
post Sep 11 2018, 12:44 PM

30 posts

in msia, lane splitting during jam,, hardly hv space to move aside to give way to those tht wana ride faster than you.

and if you do..
most likely there will be a long line of motorbikes tht follow, then when u cont to ride.. there will be another line of bikes wana speed pass u again... lol..

can say tht majority of riders r having ' emergency '..

some can say.. the more msian riders ride reckless d better, cos tht will create more accident, more drivers will be aware of bikers , cos they r famous, n more drivers will wana avoid having accident with motors..

so kinda benefits the more carefull bikers out there...lol..
TSTheOnly
post Sep 11 2018, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(qqmeng @ Sep 10 2018, 10:05 PM)
What bike are you riding?
Not sure why this matters bro... but z900 <1year as my first motorcycle...

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Sep 10 2018, 10:08 PM)
Car or bike, stop behind the line at the traffic light.  Don't fcking stop in front at the wide spot.  That area sometimes is for padestrian to cross the road.

When riding a motorcycle, especially in Malaysia - you do not really follow everything by-the-book. I stop wherever it's safe, and the place i ride usually have no pedestrian crossing. I'm not riding in downtown London or NYC.

Stopping behind the line is OK, as long as you don't cause alllll other motorcyclists to stop in 1 straight line just because u blocked the entrence, you're just causing traffic jem, and unnecessary dangers to others.

Do you realise how dangerous is it to stop in-between 2 cars? When the lights turn green, and all cars are moving, it's even more dangerous for those poor motorcyclists.

Don't be that motor underneath, everyone curses the hell out of him:

XXXX <-- dangerous spot as opposing side cars are turning in the junction
OO <-- Your traffic light

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE <<--- Empty spot
------------------- <line
Cars Motor Cars [Road divider]
Cars Cars [Road divider]
Cars Cars [Road divider]
TSTheOnly
post Sep 11 2018, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Sep 11 2018, 12:44 PM)
in msia, lane splitting during jam,, hardly hv space to move aside to give way to those tht wana ride faster than you.

and if you do..
most likely there will be a long line of motorbikes tht follow, then when u cont to ride.. there will be another line of bikes wana speed  pass u again... lol..

can say tht majority of riders r having ' emergency '..

some can say.. the more msian riders ride reckless d better, cos tht will create more accident, more drivers will be aware of bikers , cos they r famous, n more drivers will wana avoid having accident with motors..

so kinda benefits the more carefull bikers out there...lol..
Bolted line is quoted for the fking truth. This is one of the reasoning i gave to my family when i bought my bikes LOL, everyone in Malaysia who drives a car is very VERY aware of "stupid motorcyclist". They never expect motor to stop, and will usually give way to motorcyclists since there is too many reckless motorcyclist around.

But in no way we should encourage reckless riding... always ride at a pace where you can afford to brake in-time incase of anything.
Cyphereza
post Sep 11 2018, 03:41 PM

Jedi Cat™
Group Icon
2,311 posts

QUOTE(deadwolf @ Sep 11 2018, 11:00 AM)
Agreed! And I think I'm a bit over the top with this, even the slightest wheel turn of a car (on a straight road), I will bleep my horn (not because angry but just to make sure the car knows that I am there).

This post has been edited by Cyphereza: Sep 11 2018, 03:42 PM
qqmeng
post Sep 11 2018, 11:42 PM

Regular
1,097 posts

Quite understanable that you are new from the questions you asked.

Anyway, ya.... is good, at least you are aware of the danger.

But most of the time it is the ego and “bike control you instead” that kill you
Quazacolt
post Sep 12 2018, 01:26 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Cyphereza @ Sep 11 2018, 03:41 PM)
Agreed! And I think I'm a bit over the top with this, even the slightest wheel turn of a car (on a straight road), I will bleep my horn (not because angry but just to make sure the car knows that I am there).
deadwolf

High 5!

Not just you guys lol
I mean, I was almost killed lol
BlackBananaV6
post Sep 12 2018, 06:49 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(deadwolf @ Sep 11 2018, 11:00 AM)
I am new to motorcycling. Found this tips to be the best riding for safety (riding with care towards others at the same time too).

Been driving for more than 20 years, going to get my motorcycle license soon. Riding myself, opening me up on the things bikers do on the road and understand them.

Most of the tips here are valid. Thanks.
Justin.Loong
post Sep 12 2018, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

ATGATT
All The Gear, All The Time. icon_question.gif brows.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
ocphangaz
post Sep 12 2018, 10:20 AM

Midlife Crysis.
768 posts

Here’s a few from me:

also don't stop under bridges when raining and cause unnecessary jam.
raimy_m9
post Sep 12 2018, 11:18 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

so your only experience is with big bike? no kapchai or other small2 bikes? if this is true then no wonder you came out with this list.

i tend to agree, but riding a kapchai, small cc scooters are very different from big and heavy bikes.

and if i may add,
not everyone wanna ride fast. well im not always riding like orang gila(but i always gila).
sometimes i just wanna cruise along the highways, or on any road. but often kena squeeze off by a car.

was on left lane, suddenly a car pancung/squeeze from fast lane directly to 3rd lane and vice versa.

changing lane at coner.

at times riding big bike along with small cc bikes can be annoying..and i always let my friend be arrow head, or i will be a sweeper.

but then, please ride safely.
ZZR-Pilot
post Sep 13 2018, 02:00 PM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(TheOnly @ Sep 10 2018, 10:49 PM)
Here’s a few from me:

This one I disagree. Kapcai riders may think the gap is wide, but if you're riding a >600cc bike it may not be.

Besides, what's wrong with queuing up once in a while? Naik kapcai ada hak istimewa kah? This mentality is the root of most problems with bikers.

This too I disagree. There is NOTHING wrong riding a bike without wringing the throttle to the max. Tailgating is annoying, sure, but surely you can't fault someone who follows the traffic flow like a decent person should.

That said, bikers who can't overtake should let others pass instead of holding up the traffic on the right lane. But that's basic traffic rule which applies to all vehicles.

If I have one unwritten rule to contribute, it would be this:

DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE WITH A FEELING OF SELF-ENTITLEMENT.

In the traffic jungle, bikes are the insects at the bottom of the traffic collision food chain. If you hit others, you die. If others hit you, you also die. So just ride as if you truly acknowledge that fact.

This post has been edited by ZZR-Pilot: Sep 13 2018, 02:01 PM
lowpro
post Sep 13 2018, 02:11 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(BlackBananaV6 @ Sep 12 2018, 06:49 AM)
I am new to motorcycling. Found this tips to be the best riding for safety (riding with care towards others at the same time too).

Been driving for more than 20 years, going to get my motorcycle license soon. Riding myself, opening me up on the things bikers do on the road and understand them.

Most of the tips here are valid. Thanks.
Yup, that has been my riding motto for some time already. Thing is, always use mirrors and see what's behind you. Practice 360 safety. I also sometimes glance upwards...never know if a satellite might crash on me!
ZZR-Pilot
post Sep 13 2018, 02:12 PM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(raimy_m9 @ Sep 12 2018, 12:18 PM)

not everyone wanna ride fast. well im not always riding like orang gila(but i always gila).
sometimes i just wanna cruise along the highways, or on any road. but often kena squeeze off by a car.

was on left lane, suddenly a car pancung/squeeze from fast lane directly to 3rd lane and vice versa.

changing lane at coner.
Commuting to and from work every day on my bike, I always tell myself...

RIDE DEFENSIVELY.

Which means you have to be super aware of the traffic around you at all times, and act proactively so as not to allow other vehicles to put you in a dangerous situation.

For example, if you see that ditzy bitch driver in front is busy texting, make sure you overtake or steer clear of her. If you see lorries merging into your lane, get the hell out of that spot to avoid being squeezed off the road. When filtering, always watch where the front wheels of cars are pointing - they are the earliest indication of any sudden pull-outs... so if you have to slow down to observe, then slow the fuck down and don't zoom in between cars like a hero.

Most motorcycles are well endowed with enough power-to-weight ratio to allow you to light up the afterburner and go supersonic within seconds. Use that power to get out of potential trouble and avoid unwanted traffic situations.
ZZR-Pilot
post Sep 13 2018, 02:21 PM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(Cyphereza @ Sep 11 2018, 12:37 AM)
7. Loud pipes save lives... not as much as a loud horn. People seem to notice horns compared to loud exhaust.
Hehe disagree.... my twin Yoshimurahs are the best investment I ever made on my bike. Cars really do pay attention when they hear that throaty roar, so that always helps out in traffic.

So I have hardly ever had to sound my horn at other cars. In fact, the only time I use my horn is (ironically) when fuckwit bikers casually jump the divider in front of me or ride against the traffic flow towards me. Fucking idiots.

Cheapo LED spotlights help make me noticeable in cars' rearview mirrors too.

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:12 AM