Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[V31] Lowyat.Net Mechanical Keyboard Club

views

horns
post Nov 26 2019, 03:25 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Nov 26 2019, 12:18 PM)
I'm looking for full size keyboard .. FC750r is not a full size keyboard.
.. then look for their full-size models lo

irsyadfy
post Nov 26 2019, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Nov 26 2019, 12:18 PM)
I'm looking for full size keyboard .. FC750r is not a full size keyboard.
QUOTE(horns @ Nov 26 2019, 03:25 PM)
.. then look for their full-size models lo
rclxms.gif
imbibug
post Nov 28 2019, 08:15 PM

Regular
1,670 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Nov 23 2019, 10:11 PM)
I lubed my old AF Majestouch 2's brown keys 2 years ago, today it's still free of the infamous sandy and scratchy feel that browns are known for. I could remove a stem and see that the grease is still there, all fine and dandy.

It could also be the switch breaking in, the current cherries are said to be more scratchy when new.
SSJBen
post Nov 28 2019, 10:42 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Nov 28 2019, 08:15 PM)
It could also be the switch breaking in, the current cherries are said to be more scratchy when new.
Any breaking in has already been long broken in. My MJ2 is already 9 years old now.
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Dec 3 2019, 07:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

Apple Reportedly Working On Keyboards Using Light Sensors

Apple is rumoured to be working on a keyboard that will effectively replace its current mechanical key switches. Additionally, it seems that the new keyboard will be based on a new architecture featuring light sensors.

https://www.lowyat.net/2019/200910/apple-re...-light-sensors/

hmm.gif
niakulah
post Dec 3 2019, 02:18 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Nov 22 2019, 10:22 PM)
your ctrl seems fading oledy.
Aaargh! What has been seen cannot be unseen. I have multiple keys fading already that I probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out....

cry.gif
irsyadfy
post Dec 3 2019, 04:51 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 3 2019, 02:18 PM)
Aaargh! What has been seen cannot be unseen. I have multiple keys fading already that I probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out....

cry.gif
that what happens to pad printed keycaps. hence the reason i choose to change them once i got the kibod.
made the same mistakes with another kibod. my "s" key noticeably gone after one whole night of dota.
niakulah
post Dec 3 2019, 05:10 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Dec 3 2019, 04:51 PM)
that what happens to pad printed keycaps. hence the reason i choose to change them once i got the kibod.
made the same mistakes with another kibod. my "s" key noticeably gone after one whole night of dota.
My keeb is at the office, so no gaming. Maybe my copy pastes are too violent. Haha.
Metallics
post Dec 6 2019, 03:24 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

Guys,

I have a Tesoro Durandal keyboard that is not working anymore (due to wiring USB problem and cannot be repaired)
Brown Switch

Anyone interested in harvesting the keys?

PM me if you're interested and we can arrange further.

This post has been edited by Metallics: Dec 6 2019, 03:24 PM
SSJBen
post Dec 6 2019, 04:39 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Metallics @ Dec 6 2019, 03:24 PM)
Guys,

I have a Tesoro Durandal keyboard that is not working anymore (due to wiring USB problem and cannot be repaired)
Brown Switch

Anyone interested in harvesting the keys?

PM me if you're interested and we can arrange further.
First time I hear USB wire cannot be repaired. Cut it off and solder a new one?

remeron
post Dec 8 2019, 10:26 AM

Casual
339 posts

SP111

Split, south paw anyone?
So tempted to buy the black one.

Attached Image

Making some Holy Pandas now with YOKs.
Somehow, I find lubing switches enjoyable. It feels meditative to me.

Attached Image

niakulah
post Dec 13 2019, 11:00 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

Oh yeah! Testers came in in time for the weekend. Swapped my space bar brown for a tactile gray. It felt so good on the tester but on the board I immediately rejected it. Maybe having stabs adds some weight/resistance to it?

Then swapped it for the clear. Using the board now. Feels better. I'm not likely to accidentally activate spacebar anymore. But the desire to bottom out is still strong, and it can get pretty tiring bottoming out the clear.

While the clear was on the tester, I tried making ergo clears, didn't really like it. But putting the clear spring into the brown switch was kinda nice! I looked it up and it has a name too. Tacto black or tacti black.

But before I go out and buy heavier springs to put into my browns, I'd like to test it on the board first. Since my experience with the grey told me that the tester is quite different to the board.

So I have 1 black spring from the tester to make 1 tacto black. Now I have a tough decision on where to put it...

Put it on a key I use hundreds of times a day - if I don't like it I might get keyboard rage...

Put it on a rarely used key, I might not be able to get enough feedback....

Decisions decisions....
irsyadfy
post Dec 13 2019, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 13 2019, 11:00 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

put on my kibod.

izi pizi japanizi

whistling.gif

on a serious note, yes tester =/= kibod.
so its better to get a hotswapable kibod like gk61/gk64 so u can try ur best combo then use it on a soldered board.

This post has been edited by irsyadfy: Dec 13 2019, 11:37 PM
zodius
post Dec 16 2019, 05:42 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

Hi guys, I am planning to get a wireless mechanical keyboard for myself, reason to go wireless is cause of the space constraints. I have 2 monitors but my rig is stayed far away from my 2nd monitor. Is there a wireless mechanical keyboard that is in the range of RM300? So far I only spotted Logitech G613. Corsair K63 is way over my budget.
horns
post Dec 18 2019, 01:21 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

good news: finally there is a brass plate for 64-key layout 60% (i.e. the same layout as gk64) at kbdfans.

this completes the common plate options for 64-key 60% tray-mount builds. you can now get compatible plates made of aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fibre, polycarbonate (pc), and brass.

niakulah
post Dec 18 2019, 08:29 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Dec 18 2019, 01:21 AM)
good news: finally there is a brass plate for 64-key layout 60% (i.e. the same layout as gk64) at kbdfans.

this completes the common plate options for 64-key 60% tray-mount builds. you can now get compatible plates made of aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fibre, polycarbonate (pc), and brass.
Ah, the kind of things that keep true enthusiasts up at night.

What's the difference sifu? Sound and feel? Or just weight?
horns
post Dec 18 2019, 10:07 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 18 2019, 08:29 AM)
Ah, the kind of things that keep true enthusiasts up at night.

What's the difference sifu? Sound and feel? Or just weight?
haha yes i am collecting reference tray-mount builds with all common plate options. this completes my collection of 64-key 60% in terms of plate types. so far 60% tray-mount is still having the most complete options for us to choose from.

right all of them produce distinct sound and feel, i.e. different materials:

1. aluminum - softer sound and feel; i prefer to use it with foam mod.
2. steel - hard sound and feel; i prefer to use it with foam mod.
3. cf/pc - they produce no pings.
4. brass - there is a reason why most people like brass plates. brass is a denser material, and it's heavy. for me it's ok to be used without foam mod.

which one to pick is individual preference mainly. what i really hope to have is the same commercial options offered for different keyboard constructions instead of tray-mount (e.g., bottom-plate mount, top-plate mount, etc.) tray-mount builds have hard spots due to standoffs from the case. this is the most common keyboard construction design, but it's not a good representation of a build with consistent typing experience.

niakulah
post Dec 18 2019, 10:41 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Dec 18 2019, 10:07 AM)
haha yes i am collecting reference tray-mount builds with all common plate options. this completes my collection of 64-key 60% in terms of plate types. so far 60% tray-mount is still having the most complete options for us to choose from.

right all of them produce distinct sound and feel, i.e. different materials:

1. aluminum - softer sound and feel; i prefer to use it with foam mod.
2. steel - hard sound and feel; i prefer to use it with foam mod.
3. cf/pc - they produce no pings.
4. brass - there is a reason why most people like brass plates. brass is a denser material, and it's heavy. for me it's ok to be used without foam mod.

which one to pick is individual preference mainly. what i really hope to have is the same commercial options offered for different keyboard constructions instead of tray-mount (e.g., bottom-plate mount, top-plate mount, etc.) tray-mount builds have hard spots due to standoffs from the case. this is the most common keyboard construction design, but it's not a good representation of a build with consistent typing experience.
Wow. Learnt something new today. Had to Google what the heck you meant by tray mount, top plate mount.

So how would you classify my iKBC keyboard, whose PCB+plate is just drop in to the screwless case?

2. I've seen you say multiple times that custom boards are better quality than any prebuilt. Does that apply to any DIY kit as well? Is there a certain price threshold before the quality is better than prebuilt?
horns
post Dec 18 2019, 02:53 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 18 2019, 10:41 AM)
Wow. Learnt something new today. Had to Google what the heck you meant by tray mount, top plate mount.

So how would you classify my iKBC keyboard, whose PCB+plate is just drop in to the screwless case?

2. I've seen you say multiple times that custom boards are better quality than any prebuilt. Does that apply to any DIY kit as well? Is there a certain price threshold before the quality is better than prebuilt?
not many discussed about this keyboard construction thing, because most of the times people focus on looks, unfortunately. imo you should take a look at this one to get the bigger picture, https://brianlee.blog/2018/11/23/guide-keyb...tion-explained/

keyboard construction does matter in terms of typing feels. there are reasons why most mid- and high-end customs use different plate mounting mechanisms instead of tray-mount. previously, you need to spend a considerable amount to get to experience these. however today you can get something like kbd67 (bottom-plate mount) and kbd67 mkii (top-plate mount) at relatively reasonable price.

ikbc boards are ok. they are commercial boards and can be tweaked to certain extent, within their own limits, e.g. the obvious hollow sound and feel due to its stock plastic case.

right, custom boards are always better, because the main idea of a custom build is that you get to use and tune stuff based on your own preferences, and then build them.

diy kits are prepackaged custom options.

as for the price threshold, it's subjective, depending on things like parts that you use, and mods that you apply.

KnightFox
post Dec 19 2019, 11:14 AM

22 posts

Hail All Sifus,

I seeking an quest on the possibilities on the existence of a Mech Keyboard TKL version that uses Cherry MX Green switch with Side Printed Keycaps. Been searching for such keyboard but it seems more like a myth and fiction rather than a reality.
Does any of the Sifus here encountered such product with available stock and does burst the wallet bubbles?

Regard,

Knight

125 Pages « < 83 84 85 86 87 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0253sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 PM