Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Lenovo Miix 510 Review and AMA, Coz there's no actual thread for it lol

views

glauncher
post Mar 11 2017, 03:04 PM

Casual
317 posts

Hi ts, thanks for your review. I am quite interested in getti ng this model. just would like to know, is it still good after using some time until now? any hard/software issues? also, do you use tablet mode and pen often?

This post has been edited by glauncher: Mar 11 2017, 03:06 PM
TSEiraku
post Mar 11 2017, 04:48 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(glauncher @ Mar 11 2017, 03:04 PM)
Hi ts, thanks for your review. I am quite interested in getti ng this model. just would like to know, is it still good after using some time until now? any hard/software issues? also, do you use tablet mode and pen often?
No issues up to now, EXCEPT for the fact that the power button is a wee bit easy to "ter-activate" in your bag, especially when packed tightly with no sleeve on.

Have had the 510 baking in my bag due to accidental power-ons twice already due to this. They seriously should have gone for the "slider" type of power button rather than the normal one here.

That said, the 510 handled being baked in its own heat in my bag both times like a champ, and it's chugging along fine even now, with zero heat damage.

Other than that, yeah zero issues so far, even with an upgraded SSD.

Also, I do use it as my primary note taking device so yeah, I pretty much use it in tablet mode (sans KB) almost exclusively. The KB is just like an "extra" accessory I keep around for "serious" typing. Otherwise I just make do with the software keyboard as the Win10 one is actually pretty good.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 11 2017, 04:53 PM
glauncher
post Mar 11 2017, 09:58 PM

Casual
317 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 11 2017, 04:48 PM)
No issues up to now, EXCEPT for the fact that the power button is a wee bit easy to "ter-activate" in your bag, especially when packed tightly with no sleeve on.

Have had the 510 baking in my bag due to accidental power-ons twice already due to this. They seriously should have gone for the "slider" type of power button rather than the normal one here.

That said, the 510 handled being baked in its own heat in my bag both times like a champ, and it's chugging along fine even now, with zero heat damage.

Other than that, yeah zero issues so far, even with an upgraded SSD.

Also, I do use it as my primary note taking device so yeah, I pretty much use it in tablet mode (sans KB) almost exclusively. The KB is just like an "extra" accessory I keep around for "serious" typing. Otherwise I just make do with the software keyboard as the Win10 one is actually pretty good.
ic, thanks for your info!
GymBoi
post Mar 17 2017, 11:18 PM

Regular
1,352 posts

Bro, I got this due to your overwhelming support lol. 1 question that even Lenovo can't answer me.

How do i format this thing lol. You know, Windows. Gotta do the formatting once a year. Where is the CD? Heck, where is the serial key for the windows? hmm
TSEiraku
post Mar 18 2017, 12:13 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 17 2017, 11:18 PM)
Bro, I got this due to your overwhelming support lol. 1 question that even Lenovo can't answer me.

How do i format this thing lol. You know, Windows. Gotta do the formatting once a year. Where is the CD? Heck, where is the serial key for the windows? hmm
The "serial" is actually embedded in the UEFI/BIOS. You normally would never need to enter one. But you can always download Nirsoft Produkey to get the serial in numerical format, just in case: https://goo.gl/XYmsZc

So HOW do you clean format a Win 10 device?

You just download the Windows 10 image maker off Microsoft's website, and create an installation image/media on a pendrive and boot off that. The serial should be read off the UEFI and Windows should install fine.

Be ready to plug in a mouse and keyboard IN CASE the system doesn't automatically detect your touchscreen though, as this has already happened to me once back on my Acer W4.

In regards to the serial, keep in mind that "severe" system modifications (Microsoft says changing motherboards falls under this) might make the system key invalid, though this probably doesn't apply to the 510 as the only time we might need a motherboard change is when ours die.

Also, if you trust Microsoft, log in with (or create) a Microsoft account and go to the Microsoft website to "pair" a Windows system key to your account. This works as a "backup" in case the UEFI embedded serial becomes invalid/borked up for some unknown reason. This also applies to authentic Office serials as well, apparently.

And finally, drivers are shipped together with the 510 on one of the SSD partitions, though some of them are prolly out of date. They should be fine to start with post format though.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 18 2017, 12:33 AM
GymBoi
post Mar 18 2017, 12:31 AM

Regular
1,352 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 18 2017, 12:13 AM)
The "serial" is actually embedded in the UEFI/BIOS. You normally would never need to enter one. But you can always download Nirsoft Produkey to get the serial in numerical format, just in case: https://goo.gl/XYmsZc

You just download the Windows 10 image maker off Microsoft's website, and create an installation image/media on a pendrive and boot off that. The serial should be read off the UEFI and Windows should install fine.

Keep in mind that "severe" systems modifications (Microsoft says changing motherboards falls under this) might make the system key invalid, though this probably doesn't apply to the 510.

Also, if you trust Microsoft, log in with (or create) a Microsoft account and go to the Microsoft website to "pair" a Windows system key to your account. This works as a "backup" in case the UEFI embedded serial becomes invalid for some unknown reason.

Drivers are shipped together with the 510 on one of the SSD partitions, though some of them are prolly out of date.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thanks for your reply bro but I'm a little noob with this so I'm kinda confused. Yes I always do a "refresh" every year. Are you saying I can create some kind of a "image" now (which is perfect because I have not done anything to my mixx yet besides charging and change wallpaper lol). Then place that image into my partition. Every year I just need to launch this "image" and it will go back to "today's state" ? Is that what you're saying? And the software I need is Macrium Reflect + Macrium WinPE recovery ? 2 different software ? freeware ? Thanks man. You're very helpful in this Miix thread ...
TSEiraku
post Mar 18 2017, 12:45 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 18 2017, 12:31 AM)
Thanks for your reply bro but I'm a little noob with this so I'm kinda confused. Yes I always do a "refresh" every year. Are you saying I can create some kind of a "image" now (which is perfect because I have not done anything to my mixx yet besides charging and change wallpaper lol). Then place that image into my partition. Every year I just need to launch this "image" and it will go back to "today's state" ? Is that what you're saying? And the software I need is Macrium Reflect + Macrium WinPE recovery ? 2 different software ? freeware ? Thanks man. You're very helpful in this Miix thread ...
Yes, that's what I mean. It's like creating/flashing TWRP image backups in Android phones (well, actually this was the originator of the idea).

Just get Macrium Reflect Free (it's freeware) and you'll have everything you need to create a REAL system "refresh" solution (the WinPE recovery media creator is a part of Reflect itself).

All you need to do is:

1) Download and install Macrium Reflect Free.

2) Create a WinPE Recovery Media through Macrium Reflect (usually an 8/16GB pendrive, and you should probably keep the Recovery Media separate from the Disk Image aka keep them on different disks as redundancy is a good thing).

3) Prepare your system to be imaged (install whatever software you need and uninstall any bloatware you don't). This is entirely optional though.

4) Using Macrium Reflect, image your system to external media (external HDD/SSD, big pendrive, or a whole stack of DVDs - your choice). Give it a clear name so that you will never mistake it for another Image

And all you need to do to "refresh" later would be:

1) Go into UEFI/BIOS and make sure the USB/Type-C is in a higher boot priority then the internal SSD.

2) Restart with the Recovery Media inserted in your USB/Type-C (it will launch straight into Macrium Reflect).

3) Plug in whatever you stashed your System Image in.

4) In Macrium Reflect, select and restore the System Image to your internal SSD.

All done. System should be returned to Day One condition, or whatever condition the system was in when you told Macrium Reflect to make the Image.

BTW, you can migrate to a larger HDD/SSD using Macrium Reflect as well, and all of the above is applicable to EVERY Windows machine you have, not just the Miix... and not just Win10.

There's a slight learning curve to the whole process, but Macrium Reflect does come with a comprehensive help file plus everything is quite well labeled and explained to begin with so it's really not THAT hard IMHO.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 18 2017, 12:58 AM
GymBoi
post Mar 18 2017, 12:59 AM

Regular
1,352 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 18 2017, 12:45 AM)
Yes, that's what I mean. It's like creating/flashing TWRP image backups in Android phones (well, actually this was the originator of the idea).

Just get Macrium Reflect Free (it's freeware) and you'll have everything you need to create a REAL system "refresh" solution (the WinPE recovery media creator is a part of Reflect itself).

All you need to do is:

1) Download and install Macrium Reflect Free.

2) Create a WinPE Recovery Media through Macrium Reflect (usually an 8/16GB pendrive, and as you can do a lot of other stuff to save your system with it as well, you should probably keep the Recovery Media separate from the Disk Image aka keep them on different disks).

3) Prepare your system to be imaged (install whatever software you need and uninstall any bloatware you don't). This is entirely optional though.

4) Using Macrium Reflect, image your system to external media (external HDD/SSD, big pendrive, or a whole stack of DVDs - your choice).

And all you need to do to "refresh" later would be:

1) Go into UEFI/BIOS and make sure the USB/Type-C is in a higher boot priority then the internal SSD.

2) Restart with the Recovery Media inserted in your USB/Type-C (it will launch straight into Macrium Reflect).

3) Plug in whatever you stashed your System Image in.

4) Tell Macrium Reflect to restore the selected System Image to your internal SSD.

All done. System should be returned to Day One condition, or whatever condition the system was in when you told Macrium Reflect to make the Image.

BTW, you can migrate to a larger HDD/SSD using Macrium Reflect as well, and all of the above is applicable to EVERY Windows machine you have, not just the Miix... and not just Win10.

There's a slight learning curve to the whole process, but Macrium Reflect does come with a comprehensive help file plus everything is quite well labeled and explained to begin with.
Sounds pretty much like Norton Ghost. I use that alot but still a little confused (sorry)

Backup step 2) WinPE Recovery Media - This act's like a software that will auto boot in recovery step 2 right?
Backup step 4) With this, I should have an image of my laptop, where should i store this image? Is it on the same USB as backup step 2? Or separate USB.

Backup step 2 and 3, are they they same USB? Or different? Step 2 is like a recovery software and step 3 is just a normal USB with my image inside?

TSEiraku
post Mar 18 2017, 01:13 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 18 2017, 12:59 AM)
Sounds pretty much like Norton Ghost. I use that alot but still a little confused (sorry)

Backup step 2) WinPE Recovery Media - This act's like a software that will auto boot in recovery step 2 right?
Backup step 4) With this, I should have an image of my laptop, where should i store this image? Is it on the same USB as backup step 2? Or separate USB.

Backup step 2 and 3, are they they same USB? Or different? Step 2 is like a recovery software and step 3 is just a normal USB with my image inside?
It's exactly like Norton Ghost, only free. I don't have access to paid NG and apparently Macrium Reflect seems to outperform NG anyway on modern systems (at least the Paid Pro version does) so yeah, Macrium Reflect for me.

As for The WinPE recovery media in (2), keep it on a separate USB drive from the System Image. I dunno why, but for me it works better this way.

Also, it actually doesn't auto boot to recovery, its actually its own "recovery" with Macrium Reflect installed in it to help your "install" your backed-up System Image.

As for step (4), save your system image somewhere else.

So you'll have 2 disks. 1 pendrive containing the WinPE recovery (8GB is more than enough and dirt cheap) and 1 external HDD (or a big pendrive) containing your System Image.

How to mount both on the 510 at the same time to allow for all this in the first place? Get a Type-C to USB-A adapter.

Why not save the System Image on your disk itself? Because you can't write the Image onto the disk you're reading the Image from.

You CAN create a separate new partition on your 510 SSD especially for the System Image, and read the image off that... But for backups it's normally safer to put System Recovery Images onto external disks and put them safely out of harms way.

IMHO anyway. As you're familiar with NG you might have your own way of managing image backups so that might work too.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 18 2017, 01:18 AM
GymBoi
post Mar 18 2017, 01:17 AM

Regular
1,352 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 18 2017, 01:13 AM)
It's exactly like Norton Ghost, only free.

As for The WinPE recovery media in (2), keep it on a separate USB drive from the System Image. I dunno why but it works better this way.

Also, it actually doesn't auto boot to recovery, its actually its own "recovery" with Macrium Reflect installed in it to help your "install" your backed-up System Image.

As for step (4), save your system image somewhere else.

So you'll have 2 disks. 1 pendrive containing the WinPE recovery (8GB is more than enough and dirt cheap) and 1 external HDD (or a big pendrive) containing your System Image.

How to mount both on the 510 at the same time to allow for all  this in the first place? Get a Type-C to USB-A adapter.

Why not save the System Image on your disk itself? Because you can't write the Image onto the disk you're reading the Image from.

You CAN create a separate new partition especially for the System Image, and read the image off that... But for backups it's normally sager to put System Recovery Images onto external disks.

Normally anyway.
Alrighty, gotcha! Just final confirmation, the pendrive containing the WinPE recovery (8GB is more than enough and dirt cheap), this can be used everywhere right? pc, laptop, yadayada. What I need is only appropriate system image to go to the proper hardware right? Coz that WinPE thing is more like a software for it to boot and read the image right?

1 last question, are you using the "skin" from mobileoutfitters? I know them from the guys in Note 7 thread last time, they are pretty expensive ... covering the whole miix might cost a bomb, I just want to make sure the touch and the pen function will not be disturbed ...
TSEiraku
post Mar 18 2017, 01:24 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 18 2017, 01:17 AM)
Alrighty, gotcha! Just final confirmation, the pendrive containing the WinPE recovery (8GB is more than enough and dirt cheap), this can be used everywhere right? pc, laptop, yadayada. What I need is only appropriate system image to go to the proper hardware right? Coz that WinPE thing is more like a software for it to boot and read the image right?

1 last question, are you using the "skin" from mobileoutfitters? I know them from the guys in Note 7 thread last time, they are pretty expensive ... covering the whole miix might cost a bomb, I just want to make sure the touch and the pen function will not be disturbed ...
Yep that's correct. The WinPE Recovery is generic in that sense, as only really exists to read and "flash" the Images.

You're also correct that it's the System Image that needs to correspond to whatever system you're putting it back on (due to drivers and serials and yada yada), hence my suggestion to "properly" name your System Images.

As for skin, actually no. I'm using my own "skin" made out of CF vinyl (yeah I cut it myself lol), with slipshod clear vinyl "plaster" bumpers on each of the 4 corners just in case.

As for the screen, I'm actually using Tempered Glass off eBay and its working pretty well for my needs, even with touch and the Wacom pen... so I see no reason why the clear vinyl Mobile Outfitters seem to be using would fare any worse.

Pen "feel" would be pretty different though between glass and vinyl. I don't really draw so glass is good enough for me but artists on the net seem to either prefer the "tacky" feel of vinyl or the rough feel of a matte screen protector for drawing.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 18 2017, 01:29 AM
GymBoi
post Mar 18 2017, 01:47 AM

Regular
1,352 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 18 2017, 01:24 AM)
Yep that's correct. The WinPE Recovery is generic in that sense, as only really exists to read and "flash" the Images.

You're also correct that it's the System Image that needs to correspond to whatever system you're putting it back on (due to drivers and serials and yada yada), hence my suggestion to "properly" name your System Images.

As for skin, actually no. I'm using my own "skin" made out of CF vinyl (yeah I cut it myself lol), with slipshod clear vinyl "plaster" bumpers on each of the 4 corners just in case.

As for the screen, I'm actually using Tempered Glass off eBay and its working pretty well for my needs, even with touch and the Wacom pen... so I see no reason why the clear vinyl Mobile Outfitters seem to be using would fare any worse.

Pen "feel" would be pretty different though between glass and vinyl. I don't really draw so glass is good enough for me but artists on the net seem to either prefer the "tacky" feel of vinyl or the rough feel of a matte screen protector for drawing.
Great stuff bro! Thank you so much with your patience !! 1 happy miix user here ... going pyramid tomorrow to protect my baby haha
TSEiraku
post Mar 18 2017, 01:49 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 18 2017, 01:47 AM)
Great stuff bro! Thank you so much with your patience !! 1 happy miix user here ... going pyramid tomorrow to protect my baby haha
Glad to be of service. Do come back and share your experiences with Mobile Outfitters, it would be great info for other would be Miix owners.
glauncher
post Mar 18 2017, 11:48 AM

Casual
317 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 18 2017, 01:47 AM)
bro, may I know which version and how much you bought?
GymBoi
post Mar 18 2017, 02:57 PM

Regular
1,352 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Mar 18 2017, 01:49 AM)
Glad to be of service. Do come back and share your experiences with Mobile Outfitters, it would be great info for other would be Miix owners.
For sure .. more than happy to give back ... i;m checking for last minute advice now lol ... i'm going pyramid right after this ...

QUOTE(glauncher @ Mar 18 2017, 11:48 AM)
bro, may I know which version and how much you bought?
I got the 8gb/256 from lenovo shop in digital mall ... they got discount .... 3399 IF I'VE NOT MISTAKEN (dont quote me) ... coz i got another usb c to hdmi plus another 3m hdmi cable (both is good brand cable, recommended here before by someone ..j5create).. total price is 3550 (this for sure).... good price as originally i wanted to get surface pro ... screw that lol
GymBoi
post Mar 21 2017, 11:12 PM

Regular
1,352 posts

Guys im back after few days of using the miix. I must say im super happy with it haha. My desktop is like 10 years old so this will be my desktop replacement and i like how i can type this now on my bed haha.

Anyway some sifu already review the miix so no need for me to do that. i just want to share my experience with mobile outfitters screen protector

So let me first start off by saying they do not support Lenovo Miix lol...they were like wtf is this. But guess what? this is actually good because the full set for surface pro cost like RM 400+ if i didnt remember wrongly lol...so since they have nothing for miix, they just custom cut and charge me RM 170 for tablet price. Super reasonable. So since its custom cut, dont expect it to fit 100%. For me its good enough. If youre a perfectionist, maybe not so happy. Better you go on weekdays and give him more time to slowly do lol. oh btw my price is for matte. normal will be cheaper. i super hate fingerprints so this works really well for me. In case u dont know about matte, it makes your screen darker and also sometimes like blur if look from different angle. Thats expected since i use matte sp on my phone too. Lastly, mo compromise on the touch function at all. really love it.

However i have few question:
1) since i go wrap on my second day, i didnt even notice if the keyboard cover sticks to the screen or not. i know the keyboard snaps in very well bit when you close it like a book, is there magnet too? like if you put it vertical, will the keyboard drop down? mine will. i hope its not the effect of the sp.
2) i dont use the physical keyboard at all, but the on screen keyboard is not the best either. can we install custom keyboards? any keyboard with function like swype?
3) if no third party keyboard, can we make the keyboard smaller?
TSEiraku
post Mar 23 2017, 12:46 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(GymBoi @ Mar 21 2017, 11:12 PM)
Guys im back after few days of using the miix. I must say im super happy with it haha. My desktop is like 10 years old so this will be my desktop replacement and i like how i can type this now on my bed haha.

Anyway some sifu already review the miix so no need for me to do that. i just want to share my experience with mobile outfitters screen protector

<snip>

However i have few question:
1) since i go wrap on my second day, i didnt even notice if the keyboard cover sticks to the screen or not. i know the keyboard snaps in very well bit when you close it like a book, is there magnet too? like if you put it vertical, will the keyboard drop down? mine will. i hope its not the effect of the sp.
2) i dont use the physical keyboard at all, but the on screen keyboard is not the best either. can we install custom keyboards? any keyboard with function like swype?
3) if no third party keyboard, can we make the keyboard smaller?
Thanks for the review man. Should be helpful for those interested.

Anyway for your questions:

1) Yes it kinda does. It has two positions actually, (a) that lays flat without sticking to a little bit of the screen edge and (b) that DOES stick, therefore angling the KB a bit.

2) There is a few (like touchpal I think) but unfortunately they all hail from the early Windows touch days and suck even harder than the built in keyboard. Try typing "on screen keyboard" into the Start menu search, launch it and THAT is how most of the alternatives look like (aka badddd).

3) There is, if you can live with it floating around. Tap the "resize" button on the left side of the "minimise" button. And unfortunately that's as small as it can go.
rosihan
post Mar 30 2017, 03:14 PM

*\(-_-)/*
1,223 posts

just received VINSIC notebook power bank charge my MIIX510 from 17% to 100% and the battery still have 51% thumbup.gif
i bought 250++ after coupon and discounts rclxms.gif
Attached Image
hapa
post Apr 2 2017, 05:18 PM

i kill u!!
821 posts

hi guys. just brought the miix 510 with intel 7th gen processor.

I wan wondering is there any battery life preserving features? limiting the maximum charge rate below 100%
hkh m43
post Apr 2 2017, 10:38 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(hapa @ Apr 2 2017, 05:18 PM)
hi guys. just brought the miix 510 with intel 7th gen processor.

I wan wondering is there any battery life preserving features? limiting the maximum charge rate below 100%
7th gen!
Specs/Price?
Where did you buy from?

22 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0217sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:50 AM