Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Mountain Biking V33, less yappin' more brappin'

thurtin
post Jul 19 2017, 11:55 AM
Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(croomaniac @ Jul 19 2017, 11:30 AM)
I'm no expert on bb standards but from what I know sram gxp bb will not fit shimano hollowtech ii cranks. Shimano cranks use 24mm diameter spindles for both sides. Gxp is for 24mm and 22mm sram cranks. I think you can use adapters to fit but it's quite leceh. You can get the shimano press fit bb that fits your frame. Don't think they are that expensive.

When it comes to component cross compatibility, the two things that really make the difference is the shifter and rd. Sram and shimano use different shifting ratios. When they don't match, you can usually tell it's not working as smoothly or as intended. For crank, cassette and chain, I think probably ok but depends on how you are used to the sram or shimano "feel" so it may be a big deal in the end.

I've use shimano xt cassette with sram x01 shifter for a bit after my X1 cassette died. While the shop told me it's compatible, I could tell it wasn't how I felt "normal" shifting would be with sram. After I changed to a gx cassette, I was much happier. Lol.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aquilaTE
post Jul 19 2017, 12:15 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(MjMax15 @ Jul 18 2017, 04:48 PM)
ya. i hate more cycling in city/road because of smoke/dust
sometimes i have to breathe with mouth (well...pancit recovery after few miles lol) so thats...quite dangerous

in trail no problem
nature around us, just a bit dust should be okay
if raining season, for me must use eyewear
Ic ok. Yeah, no choice when there are motor vehicles around. I tot off getting those fabric type respirator but someone mentioned that it may hinder one's breathing which is bad.

Anyway, thx very much for your experience.
+Quote Post
croomaniac
post Jul 19 2017, 01:18 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jul 19 2017, 11:55 AM)
I'm no expert on bb standards but from what I know sram gxp bb will not fit shimano hollowtech ii cranks. Shimano cranks use 24mm diameter spindles for both sides. Gxp is for 24mm and 22mm sram cranks. I think you can use adapters to fit but it's quite leceh. You can get the shimano press fit bb that fits your frame. Don't think they are that expensive.

When it comes to component cross compatibility, the two things that really make the difference is the shifter and rd. Sram and shimano use different shifting ratios. When they don't match, you can usually tell it's not working as smoothly or as intended. For crank, cassette and chain, I think probably ok but depends on how you are used to the sram or shimano "feel" so it may be a big deal in the end.

I've use shimano xt cassette with sram x01 shifter for a bit after my X1 cassette died. While the shop told me it's compatible, I could tell it wasn't how I felt "normal" shifting would be with sram. After I changed to a gx cassette, I was much happier. Lol.
Yupp i bet you are just right. Since if you buy 3rd party chain, they always says : Shimano & SRAM compatible. Chain is definitely interchangable. 3rd party chainrings, and also jockey wheel too. But I have no experience on swapping shifter, cassette & RD though.

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jul 19 2017, 12:15 PM)
Ic ok. Yeah, no choice when there are motor vehicles around. I tot off getting those fabric type respirator but someone mentioned that it may hinder one's breathing which is bad.

Anyway, thx very much for your experience.
Not just dust & mud, but also insects.. cool2.gif cool2.gif cool2.gif
+Quote Post
aquilaTE
post Jul 19 2017, 03:35 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(croomaniac @ Jul 19 2017, 01:18 PM)
Not just dust & mud, but also insects..  cool2.gif  cool2.gif  cool2.gif
Yet to experience that but oh well, better to expect than to have an angry bee between my eyes. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
thurtin
post Jul 19 2017, 04:00 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jul 19 2017, 03:35 PM)
Yet to experience that but oh well, better to expect than to have an angry bee between my eyes.  laugh.gif
easiest solution: stop riding on the road. ride more on the trails. lol icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
aquilaTE
post Jul 19 2017, 04:08 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jul 19 2017, 04:00 PM)
easiest solution: stop riding on the road. ride more on the trails. lol  icon_rolleyes.gif
Would love to if it's just out my front door and got kaki whistling.gif
+Quote Post
thurtin
post Jul 19 2017, 04:17 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jul 19 2017, 04:08 PM)
Would love to if it's just out my front door and got kaki  whistling.gif
Be the typical malaysian la. drive to trail and ride lor. go to popular trails on the weekend and join people. don't be shy!
+Quote Post
aquilaTE
post Jul 19 2017, 04:19 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jul 19 2017, 04:17 PM)
Be the typical malaysian la. drive to trail and ride lor. go to popular trails on the weekend and join people. don't be shy!
Will be starting the 1st one next month. Not all weekends I'm free therefore I ride at night once I come home from work.

Atm, I'm starting it out as workout due to heart related medical condition.

This post has been edited by aquilaTE: Jul 19 2017, 04:22 PM
+Quote Post
croomaniac
post Jul 19 2017, 05:11 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jul 19 2017, 04:19 PM)
Will be starting the 1st one next month. Not all weekends I'm free therefore I ride at night once I come home from work.

Atm, I'm starting it out as workout due to heart related medical condition.
then you must have one of those HR watch.. so that it can warn you when you hit your limit then.. don't overpush..
+Quote Post
aquilaTE
post Jul 19 2017, 07:20 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(croomaniac @ Jul 19 2017, 05:11 PM)
then you must have one of those HR watch.. so that it can warn you when you hit your limit then.. don't overpush..
Thx, yup for sure but since I am a little bit short for techs, I have to consciously make sure I don't go overboard. For now, training as much as I can on the road b4 I go wild on the trails thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
bakabakayaro
post Jul 20 2017, 02:23 PM

hello boys

im trying to look for some trails in FRIM to go this weekend but google shows ma maps and trails like 4-6 years ago which i dont think can apply now.. since i heard that one of the trails were closed to public.. anyone has a more updated map or guide to share? for newbie rider icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
ieR
post Today, 01:13 AM
~Cursed Member~
Group Icon
Group: Elite

hi all sifu again, i been using my 29er mtb on road often lately(mostly) and i was thinking to convert my front suspension fork to a rigid fork. i dont have much experience or knowledge but i was wondering from what i can observ, since suspension fork is so much taller due to the extra 100mm travel, will the rigid fork upset the handling since (i assume) its missing out 100mm travel? or danger like pedal hitting the floor due to much lower front?
+Quote Post
shadow111
post Today, 03:49 PM
Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

sorry for the noob question..
any tips on where can I find trail nearby my area? any sites/etc?
thanks.

+Quote Post

50 Pages « < 48 49 50Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0794sec    5.04    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 10:44 PM