Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Any guppy fans here?, come come come

RedBox
post Nov 20 2006, 02:42 PM

Folding@Malaysia Team
Group Icon
Folding@Malaysia
Group: VIP

You mean rear? Well I am no expert and I only have regular guppies, not any rare types. I didn't have to do anything other than provide a good home (mine is a 29 gallon tank), food, correct temperature, live plants, regular water change, etc. Before too long, I have so many that I stopped counting! tongue.gif

RB
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LovesReborn
post Nov 20 2006, 02:48 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

i mean rear. not rare....my fingers just went on and type the word that wasnt in my mind...
+Quote Post
jaspery27
post Nov 20 2006, 10:56 PM

On my way

hi guys, aqua plant is good for guppy, but plants wil release some protein to the water after the process fotosintesis, so if u notice there wil b a layer of oil like floating on top surface of water, if u dont hv a surface skimmer, then just put in 1 or 2 black molly fish, and if u wan to hv babies guppies, then make sure u hv a lot plants inside the tank, the ratio for male : female the best is 2 male : 1 female. if u just keep for fun, then any breed wil do, but if u r a beginer, then i suggest u dont go for the red eye / albino red eye species, they r quite hard to handle bcos they cant really see! if u mix with other fish/types, then they wil always kena bully. any fish food or bloodworm is good enug for them. if u wan to hv nice plant tank, then make sure u hv a lamp with at least 6000K full spectrum n water temperature keep to around 25-26C. just to share my basic knowledge, anyone kno mandarin n interest to learn more can join the site i recommend. peace notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
+Quote Post
andyjyneo
post Nov 21 2006, 01:36 AM

Marshmallow 6.0.1

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Nov 20 2006, 10:48 AM)
Erm... guppies don't lay eggs lah.....
sorry sorry
my mind used to think that fishes lay eggs
sad.gif

how did you all maintain the babies? how to feed them?
anyone moved the babies after the mother finish giving birth?
or when you all see signs of giving birth, then shift the mother to another tank?

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 20 2006, 02:42 PM)
You mean rear? Well I am no expert and I only have regular guppies, not any rare types. I didn't have to do anything other than provide a good home (mine is a 29 gallon tank), food, correct temperature, live plants, regular water change, etc. Before too long, I have so many that I stopped counting! tongue.gif
RB
i'm still wondering, how to measure how many gallon my tank is?
mind to advise?
thank you
+Quote Post
ciohbu
post Nov 21 2006, 02:39 AM

hi..i am thinking of setting up a tank for guppy...wondering if i replace the real plant with the plastic one..izzit ok?..the guppy will breed ar?...and do i need to put any black water or ketapang leave?..oh ya..one more thing..if the tank didnt have pump..izzit ok ar?
+Quote Post
RedBox
post Nov 21 2006, 03:56 AM

Folding@Malaysia Team
Group Icon
Folding@Malaysia

QUOTE(andyjyneo @ Nov 21 2006, 01:36 AM)
sorry sorry
sad.gif

or when you all see signs of giving birth, then shift the mother to another tank?
mind to advise?
thank you
1 cubic feet = 7.48051945 US gallons
Measure:
(Length x width x depth) x 7.48051945 = size of tank in gallons. smile.gif

If you want to keep all the babies safe, I would suggest moving it to another tank or buy those baby nets that you can keep the babies in the same tank but in the suspended net so the adults can't eat them. This will also keep them safe from being sucked by filtration systems and such if you have them in your tanks.

QUOTE(ciohbu @ Nov 21 2006, 02:39 AM)
hi..i am thinking of setting up a tank for guppy...wondering if i replace the real plant with the plastic one..izzit ok?..the guppy will breed ar?...and do i need to put any black water or ketapang leave?..oh ya..one more thing..if the tank didnt have pump..izzit ok ar?
Plastic plants is fine but real plants always looks better. Black water? Hmm... I'm a little lost by that term. I think you mean brackish water. For me, I just use regular tap water that is dechlorinated either by dechlorination solution or by leaving it for a few days in a clean bucket each time I do a water change. The guppies seem to do fine.

Air pumps improve water circulation. For babies in a separate temporary tank, you will be fine without a pump. I would strongly suggest having a filtration system and live plants in your main tank. I do not use air pumps after I moved to having live plants in my tanks. Believe it or not, I actually make my own carbon dioxide to pump in the water rather than having an air pump. Plants release oxygen for fish, I release CO2 for plants. smile.gif

RB

+Quote Post
ciohbu
post Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM

ic ic...but normally real plant will always die faster right?..unlike plastic one..i think around few weeks d need to change lor..and which one is better for breeding guppy ar?

This post has been edited by ciohbu: Nov 21 2006, 08:57 AM
+Quote Post
sayasebuk
post Nov 21 2006, 09:42 AM

On my way

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:56 PM)
hi guys, aqua plant is good for guppy, but plants wil release some protein to the water after the process fotosintesis, so if u notice there wil b a layer of oil like floating on top surface of water, if u dont hv a surface skimmer, then just put in 1 or 2 black molly fish, and if u wan to hv babies guppies, then make sure u hv a lot plants inside the tank, the ratio for male : female the best is 2 male : 1 female. if u just keep for fun, then any breed wil do, but if u r a beginer, then i suggest u dont go for the red eye / albino red eye species, they r quite hard to handle bcos they cant really see! if u mix with other fish/types, then they wil always kena bully. any fish food or bloodworm is good enug for them. if u wan to hv nice plant tank, then make sure u hv a lamp with at least 6000K full spectrum n water temperature keep to around 25-26C. just to share my basic knowledge, anyone kno mandarin n interest to learn more can join the site i recommend. peace  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
why black molly fish? do they eat the protein?

QUOTE(andyjyneo @ Nov 21 2006, 01:36 AM)
sorry sorry
sad.gif

mind to advise?
thank you
if lazy or forget how to count, i always use this website
http://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm

QUOTE(ciohbu @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM)
ic ic...but normally real plant will always die faster right?..unlike plastic one..i think around few weeks d need to change lor..and which one is better for breeding guppy ar?
thats because your aquarium does not have the necessary requirements for a planted aquarium (lights, co2, fertilizer, etc). maybe you can just purchase does easy plants like java ferns, anubias, and some floating plants
+Quote Post
ciohbu
post Nov 21 2006, 09:55 AM

thanx for all the answer...
+Quote Post
RedBox
post Nov 21 2006, 11:04 AM

Folding@Malaysia Team
Group Icon
Folding@Malaysia

QUOTE(ciohbu @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM)
I am sure there are certain plants that die very easily or do not have a long life. I am not sure what I have but they grow steadily to replace the ones that get old and wither away. Start with some easy ones. You can find loads of information on the Internet.

Sayasebuk is right. You need the right ingredients for the plant to thrive. Enough light for the right length in a day, enough CO2 and O2, the plants in my aquarium greened up and grew strong. I buy some regular tablet form plant food but I find a proper amount of CO2 and light works easily.

RB

This post has been edited by RedBox: Nov 21 2006, 11:05 AM
+Quote Post
HaM7
post Nov 21 2006, 11:16 AM

Team Eclipse = Geng Team!!
Group: Junior Member

i have a guppy that it's tail is larger than the fish, and damn long the fish plus the tail, around 4 -5 cm
+Quote Post
goldfries
post Nov 21 2006, 11:50 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

male to female ratio 1:3
lotsa plants, make sure filter don't suck in the babies.

kau tim - recipe for rearing / breeding. biggrin.gif

and i wish my aquaria site is still up, there's a calculator there. unfortunately some complications in payment resulted it being down and i some how didn't have the source files with me (old HDD, died, didn't backup). biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
crazymouse_yyh
post Nov 21 2006, 01:19 PM

www.suggiesathome .wordpress.com
Group Icon
Pets Wonderland
Group: Elite

Hmm.. this inspires me to try again. 1 question.... I think my aquarium is contaminated... well, now no fish lah coz once I bought 10 guppies... all died in 1 week.... my uncle said it could be contaminated so he advice to wash the whole tank with mild bleach... got any better way to do it? How about the gravel? Wash with bleach also? I am guessing it could be the filter coz it has been running for 5 years already..... those cheap rm20 fliters... should change right?

+Quote Post
HaM7
post Nov 21 2006, 01:21 PM

i have 3 Kois living in another of my mini "kong"'s beside my fish "kong", last time i use to put it wif the guppies and it ate the poor guppies, juz a few of them, then now after a few months the Kois are about 3-4 times the size of the mid aged guppies
+Quote Post
HaM7
post Nov 21 2006, 01:23 PM

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Nov 21 2006, 01:19 PM)
Hmm.. this inspires me to try again. 1 question.... I think my aquarium is contaminated... well, now no fish lah coz once I bought 10 guppies... all died in 1 week.... my uncle said it could be contaminated so he advice to wash the whole tank with mild bleach... got any better way to do it? How about the gravel? Wash with bleach also? I am guessing it could be the filter coz it has been running for 5 years already..... those cheap rm20 fliters... should change right?
during the first 3 days i think u shud bot feed the guppies, let the guppies know the place first, then oni start feeding it, another cause maybe becuz of the contaminated thing lor
+Quote Post
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 01:34 PM

Malaysian

any suggestions for DIY Co2? My tank posted in first page, hve
gone to a few shops, cheapest abt RM85/-....thanks
+Quote Post
crazymouse_yyh
post Nov 21 2006, 01:47 PM

Group Icon
Pets Wonderland

QUOTE(HaM7 @ Nov 21 2006, 01:23 PM)
during the first 3 days i think u shud bot feed the guppies, let the guppies know the place first, then oni start feeding it, another cause maybe becuz of the contaminated thing lor
Nah, I didn't feed the guppies so soon. I'm just curious as to why they died and can the tank and gravel be cleaned with bleach or not.

I scared bleach may kill new fishes if there is any residue.. Is there any other way to clean everything?

Now my tank running with water for 2 months liao... no fish... sounds like waterfall in my living room coz dun wanna make the water calm to attract mozzies hahhah...
+Quote Post
HaM7
post Nov 21 2006, 01:56 PM

then liddat i dunno bout u
+Quote Post
goldfries
post Nov 21 2006, 02:02 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Nov 21 2006, 01:19 PM)
what was previously in the tank?

and why would you want to bleach your tank, gravel and such. cos if it was running all these years, then the helpful bacterias are ready there.

fish don't die so easily, but without detailed information on your tank it's difficult to advice the course of action.

filter yes, of course must change but then it's not so bad until can kill off 10 guppies in 1 week. if could be the guppies being bad stock. it could be that they were stressed in some way.

there's many other factors to consider, not just "contaminated" tank. perhaps you can ask your uncle why he said it was possibly contaminated.
+Quote Post
crazymouse_yyh
post Nov 21 2006, 02:10 PM

Group Icon
Pets Wonderland

QUOTE(goldfries @ Nov 21 2006, 02:02 PM)
what was previously in the tank?

and why would you want to bleach your tank, gravel and such. cos if it was running all these years, then the helpful bacterias are ready there.

fish don't die so easily, but without detailed information on your tank it's difficult to advice the course of action.

filter yes, of course must change but then it's not so bad until can kill off 10 guppies in 1 week. if could be the guppies being bad stock. it could be that they were stressed in some way.

there's many other factors to consider, not just "contaminated" tank. perhaps you can ask your uncle why he said it was possibly contaminated.
I used to have ranchus... but they didn't last long, 3 years they lasted, were my dad's fish... then I switched to Gold Severums and gouramis.... kept a few years till I decided to get an oscar..... then my oscar lasted only a few weeks coz got hole in the head... treatment didn't work properly loh then I thought ok lah, stop for now, clean everything and let the water run.... after run a month, I put some guppies... then 1 by 1 died... so sad...

In the tank there is no plants... just gravel.

Funny, I can manage to keep a 1ft mini tank with plants and fishes alive for 1 year and still growing but my 2ft tank always die.... sad.gif So my uncle assume maybe my tank got parasite or disease so maybe a mild bleach can do something about it. So before I do something with chemicals... better ask you guys about your opinions first before I place anymore guppies...

I think I will change the pump and the hanging filter and try again....
+Quote Post

90 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0813sec    3.95    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 07:56 AM