Any guppy fans here?, come come come

views

mydelsol
post Nov 19 2006, 01:06 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

I love guppies, hve a few of them, attached ,my current aquarium and some
guppy shots...these hve been with me past 2 months, some hve died after birth
ande some are the kids of the previous ones....

user posted imageuser posted image

This post has been edited by mydelsol: Nov 19 2006, 01:08 PM
mydelsol
post Nov 19 2006, 01:14 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(copadelrey @ Nov 19 2006, 01:08 PM)
[attachmentid=156322]Nah, my nicest guppy
its a beauty indeed...will try to attached pics of mine, buggers dam fast... rclxms.gif
mydelsol
post Nov 19 2006, 04:02 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 19 2006, 02:15 PM)
hahaha, urs one is mosaic species ahh?? did u join
http://www.myguppy.net/guppy/      ? i am there la, can c me there too icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif  kekeke, only one tank u hv ahh?? the one u mention bigger one mostly come from thailand, and they need a bit salty water to live in, and more plants is better if u wan to breed them, but capalang breed is not encourage bcos u wil spoilt the gene pool la, later all sampah wil come out! sweat.gif  sweat.gif no offence plz, as guppy lover, i just wan to maintain the pure breed only, peace. if u like guppy so much, join the myguppy la, all siffu are there rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
The forum is in chinese larr, wat abt those of us who dont speak or
hve the software? thanks anyways....
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 01:34 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

any suggestions for DIY Co2? My tank posted in first page, hve
gone to a few shops, cheapest abt RM85/-....thanks
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 02:25 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

Shots of my current guppies, sorry for the pic quality, used my mobilephone tongue.gif
user posted image
have about 5 females and 6 males with about 20ish babies..will try to take shots of
the babies and pos it soon...they ar enow hiding in the trees... flex.gif

mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 02:52 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 21 2006, 02:39 PM)
Here is what I have used:

- 2 liter coke bottle
- tubings that is smaller than the coke bottle cap (~5mm)
- airstone
- super glue
- knife
- yeast

I cut a hole that is just a tad smaller than the tubing diameter on the center of the coke bottle cap. Stick the tubing through and apply superglue around the hole to seal it properly. Attach the airstone to the other end which you will set to the bottom of your tank.

You can do without the airstone if you don't have one. I just stick my tubing under a decorative stone to hold it down.� biggrin.gif

Mix half a cup of yeast with warm water. Stir to mix it evenly. Let it sit for about a minute or two and then pour it into your coke bottle. Add more water to fill the coke bottle about slightly below 2/3 full. The yeast should start producing CO2 in a day or so. The measurement above are subject to change. Experiment with it. I did it a few times before I found the right amount of yeast and water. Quality of yeast will also affect the production of CO2 so do a trial and error until you find the correct amount of what you need.

I am sure there are better methods out there but I find this to be very cost effective. You get to enjoy your coca cola or favorite beverage before using it! tongue.gif Most aquariums owners I know already have tubings. If not, just head to your local fish store to buy some cheap ones. The wrong mixture combination will produce too much or too little CO2 so find the right mixture for yourself.

Just a word of caution. If you use an adjustable valve to control the release of CO2, be aware that you may have an exploding bottle on your hand if it produces too much CO2!! Do at your own risk! tongue.gif tongue.gif

Good luck.
RB
many thanks bro, but since u said it can explode, dont think I will be experementing or fermenting anything soon, i hve kids at home, and their
safety is my utmost priority, really appreciate your help and info, rclxms.gif rclxms.gif btw, si the set-up above for a 2 feet tank?

THANK YOU biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mydelsol: Nov 21 2006, 02:53 PM
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 03:45 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 21 2006, 02:56 PM)
My caution was if you use a valve to control the released of CO2. Just don't use a valve then. However, this may cause too much CO2 in your tank if it released too much. If this is the case, just take the tubing out of the tank. Once you try it a few times, you will find that you can get the right mixture. smile.gif

I have used it on a 10 gallon and 29 gallon tank. I have never owned any other sizes. I'm too lazy to go measure it now but I am sure the volume will give you an idea. tongue.gif
RB
again THANK YOU for your help and uidance, really imformative.
My current tank is nice (sendiri puji) but my plants tend's to die off in a week or
so, so was told to hve C02....thats my only reaosn...and i like to see my guppies
"happy" with so many plants, but tired of buying them on and off..sum of the babies tends to die off...sigghh
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 09:19 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(sayasebuk @ Nov 21 2006, 06:55 PM)
RM85 for tank or co2?
it was a small Co2 tank thingy wit a 1 month supply of "CO2" to be replinished
every month at a cost of RM20/- a pack cry.gif
mydelsol
post Nov 21 2006, 09:21 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 21 2006, 02:56 PM)
RB
bro, IF you cld, can you post how your CO2 setup, how it looks like,
just need an idea IF i do go ahead with it, advance thanks.
mydelsol
post Nov 22 2006, 01:02 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:11 PM)
THANK YOU for the informative url, appreciated... rclxms.gif

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 21 2006, 11:11 PM)
Wow... expensive to replendish. I buy packets of yeast from grocery store for 50cents a pack.
I don't have one to show at this moment. See the link provided by jaspery27 above. Very similar. My tank currently have enough Corydoras and Guppies so I have not made a new diy CO2 setup. The plants are not as green as before. I have been spending more time with my puppy than on my aquarium these days.  blush.gif
RB
yes i know, its expensive, that why i wanted to DIY, so looks like will go ahead
with my project later this weekend, how many guppies you have now? tank size?
mydelsol
post Nov 22 2006, 02:04 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 22 2006, 01:08 PM)
hehehehehehe, my guppy tank nvm provide any co2 too, but the plants r doing well, if u guys dont wan to waste money on co2, then diy la, or like me, go for the fern types plants, easy to grow, minimum light, no need co2 ( if u hv fish inside), ferterlizer i use JBL brand (its up to u la), fern like java or singapore moss just nice for those lazy ppl like me lo rclxm9.gif just share my opinion, peace  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Bro,

I hve considered C02 DIY as recommended by bro RB, below is my tank, think its abt 10gallons, hve considered Java Moss, but dont know how much to buy as most shops sell by "weight" or palm size and cost abt RM10/-
to RM12/- a pc. so am curently torn between CO2 bomb, as am not a scientist, or a being a normal lazy guy and getting moss.....advise pls?? rclxms.gif

user posted image
mydelsol
post Nov 22 2006, 02:07 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 22 2006, 01:11 PM)
I got hit with some illness and now left with 8 guppies, 4 Albino Corydoras, 1 Corydoras Melanistus and some snails in a 29 gallon tank.
I also have 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. The two goldfishes have been with me for about 4 to 5 years now. Before that, it belongs to a friend of mine who gave it to me after he moved. The goldfishes are estimated at about 9 or 10 years old now! smile.gif
RB
ouch, had the same problem wit sum snails, whihc turned out to be millions... cry.gif had bought snail remover, but it removed everything in the tank as well cry.gif cry.gif wow, ur Goldfish really old bro... notworthy.gif

mydelsol
post Nov 22 2006, 06:51 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(sayasebuk @ Nov 22 2006, 04:30 PM)
one dwarf puffer is enough to eliminate hundreds of snails
yes i was told but also the might eat my other fishes in the tank, so decided
against it, but mana tau, the meds were too strong, killed everything in sight cry.gif
thanks anyways... rclxms.gif
mydelsol
post Nov 23 2006, 10:43 AM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(jaspery27 @ Nov 22 2006, 09:48 PM)
puffer is a carnivore le, dont mix with small fish.
mydelsol: ur tank only a few plants nia, need co2 meh?? rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif later i post my here, no co2 one.
guys: my red guppies just delivered babies  rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif
yes they are, dats why i decided against them, the pet shop i normally go to,
recommended a snail remover, but atlast, removed more then my snails, cialat
only, too much it killed eveything in my tank.....
jus bought more plants and a Co2 tank, sigh, sorry brothers coudlnt help it,
am weak when it comes to gadgets icon_question.gif besides my wife paid the bill icon_idea.gif
hehehehehe....btw, congrats on the babies...

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 22 2006, 10:44 PM)
Well let me tell you, I have given up trying to get rid of the snails!  shakehead.gif Those damn things just will not go away!! It came with some plants I got from a friend. The snails spread like crazy. At times, I have to just pick them out by turning over every single stone in my tank. That's the only way I am controlling it now. I did buy a snail remover/killer solution but to no avail. When I get home, I'll post some pictures of the snail remover solution. If I can, I'll take some close up of what I think are snail eggs too if when I find them. Pesky little things. I know they provide benefits to a tank but boy... they produce too fast for my liking!
Get some plants that are tolerant to low CO2 then. Do a search on the Internet, you will find information on these. I still find that some CO2 will allow the plants to grow much stronger. I can tell a difference when I stopped providing CO2 in my tank.
Congratulations on the new guppy babies!  thumbup.gif
just bought a C02 tank last nite, with more plants and a piece of Java Moss,
will post pics during lunch time....cost me RM35/- wit a 1 1/2 mth supply
of C02....also bought some Neon Tetra's, (my son insisted on "I wan da brue
karer pish, prisss daddyyy....so nice wannnn)...siigghhhh.... tongue.gif wil post the pics
to later....
mydelsol
post Nov 23 2006, 12:20 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Nov 22 2006, 10:57 PM)
People wanna get rid of snails... but I want snails hahah.... coz they eat up my algea.
dont think u really need them, its really bad, honestly....once kena
spread like wild fire...very hard to remove... doh.gif

btw, these are the "new" pics of my tank after visiting the pet shop with the family lastnite:- bought 1x C02, 15x Neon Tetras, 1xJava Moss, 3 Female Guppies
and 3x Plants cost RM85/-, priceless rclxms.gif thumbup.gif

user posted image
user posted image

below pic of C02 cannister and after set-up in tank

user posted image

This post has been edited by mydelsol: Nov 23 2006, 12:27 PM
mydelsol
post Nov 23 2006, 09:45 PM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(RedBox @ Nov 23 2006, 01:28 PM)
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif After seeing your pics, I think I will add tetras to my tank too. Looking for some new additions. I like neon tetras but will visit the fish store to see if I like any other tetras. thumbup.gif
RB
thanks, the place i go to, tmn megah in PJ is called My Pet World carries abt 3 types of Tetras, Blue, Green and Silver i think, blue is RM1/- Green at RM2/- forgot abt the silver price whistling.gif

QUOTE(Panda @ Nov 23 2006, 07:19 PM)
I bought 5 guppies from pasar malam yesterday... but they dont want to eat the fish foods...what am i suppose to do?
dude, sometimes they are not "used" the to new envorinment, so give it a day
before feeding, or look at my pic above, am feeding them guppy food pellets,
rally tiny ones mixed with flakes, works well... thumbup.gif
mydelsol
post Nov 24 2006, 09:08 AM

Malaysian
2,104 posts

QUOTE(Panda @ Nov 23 2006, 11:50 PM)
cant see the pic clearly... how tiny is the food pellets?
like powder?
really really tiny the "biji" very small, fits exactly into the Guppy & Tetra mouths thumbup.gif have never tried bloodworms,
as so far my guppies ok lar can "tahan" the pellets & falkes I hve been feeding them, so goes for the tetras, fast lil'buggers, sometimes "steal" food frm the guppies rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by mydelsol: Nov 24 2006, 09:09 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0684sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:54 PM