Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Public Mutual Funds, version 0.0

views

felixmask
post May 25 2015, 07:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,354 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ May 25 2015, 06:15 PM)
I'm curious as to why people use PM agents when you can do it online at FSM or eunittrust for less than half the commission?
litteracy or awarness to do online.

When PM has agent all place kampung or small town.
wodenus
post May 25 2015, 07:14 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(felixmask @ May 25 2015, 07:11 PM)

If FSM had agents, paid them 2%.. still cheaper than PM, and they carry more funds. Wonder why they don't do that.
wil-i-am
post May 25 2015, 10:16 PM

10k Club
10,001 posts

QUOTE(felixmask @ May 25 2015, 07:11 PM)

Nope
Majority of Ppl dun have technical know how on investment
braindeath
post May 26 2015, 12:05 PM

On my way
521 posts

Hi guys, really noob on this investment but my friend recommend me this PM as his PM investment handle by his wife

Few quick question:

1) is it a secure investment? I know it is hold up by public bank but after few scam im really afraid to do another.
2) what do actually im invest on?
3) what is the average rate of dividend gain per year

Tqvm and sorry for my poor english.....
T231H
post May 26 2015, 12:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,143 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ May 26 2015, 12:05 PM)
Hi guys, really noob on this investment but my friend recommend me this PM as his PM investment handle by his wife

Few quick question:

1) is it a secure investment?  I know it is hold up by public bank but after few scam im really afraid to do another.

hmm.gif while waiting for responses....
may try to ask your friend's wife....

btw, pls be reminded that dividend in Unit Trusts (usually called "Distributions") is NOT of the same concept of gain as dividend from shares from stock markets....have to ask "why is that?" too.

This post has been edited by T231H: May 26 2015, 12:26 PM
braindeath
post May 26 2015, 12:31 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(T231H @ May 26 2015, 12:09 PM)
hmm.gif while waiting for responses....
may try to ask your friend's wife....

btw, pls be reminded that dividend in Unit Trusts is NOT of the same concept of gain as dividend from shares from stock markets....have to ask "why is that?" too.
Should include that too in my questionnaire?

Im not home, now away, only able to meet her around august... need to gain as much infor as i can

But reading through the post, obviously i cant understand everything....
T231H
post May 26 2015, 12:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,143 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ May 26 2015, 12:31 PM)
Should include that too in my questionnaire?

Im not home, now away, only able to meet her around august... need to gain as much infor as i can

But reading through the post, obviously i cant understand everything....
can try reading some links from the webs....as inside these links has many info (especially those FAQs, resources, etc)...hope it helps.
http://www.publicmutual.com.my/Resources/U...ustLessons.aspx
http://www.fundsupermart.com.my/main/resea...l?articleNo=569
http://www.cimb-principal.com.my/
https://www.fimm.com.my/investor/
https://www.kenangainvestors.com.my/KIB/KIB...idual/Home.aspx
http://www.eastspringinvestments.com.my/?r...-tree&pageid=12
https://www.eunittrust.com.my/

braindeath
post May 26 2015, 07:08 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(T231H @ May 26 2015, 12:42 PM)
notworthy.gif tqvm
braindeath
post May 26 2015, 07:09 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(T231H @ May 26 2015, 12:42 PM)
notworthy.gif tqvm
MikeX
post May 28 2015, 05:31 PM

Casual
354 posts

Hi. I have been invested in public regular savings fund for years. Now I think it has around RM31k on value. Is there any way to withdraw the fund for my new business use? Thank you.

Kaka23
post May 28 2015, 08:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,251 posts

QUOTE(MikeX @ May 28 2015, 06:31 PM)
Hi. I have been invested in public regular savings fund for years. Now I think it has around RM31k on value. Is there any way to withdraw the fund for my new business use? Thank you.
If not EPF investment then can withdrawal for your business

MikeX
post May 28 2015, 08:23 PM

Casual
354 posts

If EPF investment then need to wait till age 55? Thank you.
Kaka23
post May 28 2015, 09:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,251 posts

QUOTE(MikeX @ May 28 2015, 09:23 PM)
If EPF investment then need to wait till age 55? Thank you.
Yes.. You sell and the money go back to EPF..

MikeX
post May 28 2015, 09:47 PM

Casual
354 posts

QUOTE(Kaka23 @ May 28 2015, 09:44 PM)
Yes.. You sell and the money go back to EPF..
Thank you for your support.

eternity4life
post May 30 2015, 01:34 AM

Getting Started
113 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ May 26 2015, 12:05 PM)

Few quick question:

1) is it a secure investment?  I know it is hold up by public bank but after few scam im really afraid to do another.

Answering your question in case you didn't find the answer you are searching for :

1) In comparison to most types of investment, unit trust is very safe. The concept of unit trust is made as such that the made is not held by PM themselves, as the money is hold by the trustee while PM job is just to manage the funds. Also, as long as the fund manager is reliable, it is very unlikely you'll lose money in the long term, but if you want good consistent returns, that's where picking the right funds and fund managers matters a lot.

2) PM provides unit trust funds. Unit trust are funds where the money is collected by the company is managed by fund managers to invest on stocks, bonds, money market instruments, properties, etc, depending on the types of funds and funds objectives. So there's no specific answer to your question but usually it's a combination of the assets I listed just now.

3) This would also depends on the funds that you are investing me. Certain funds focus on absolute return where they target specific return. Unit trust does not just give returns in terms of dividends but also in the forms of capital appreciation and profit distribution. Funds that gives more dividends are usually income funds/funds that focus on blue chip stocks/dividend stocks and certain types of bonds. There's no specific rate for all fund dividends so this heavily depends on the types of funds.

TSj.passing.by
post May 30 2015, 02:51 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

Back to Basics

Continuing on with the “Back to Basics” series... These posts are on the fundamentals of mutual fund (also known as unit trust), and are purposely titled for ease of search; sort of ‘tagging’ them.

Income Distribution

While FD has interest, and fixed-price fund (such as EPF and ASB) has dividends; variable priced mutual fund has ‘income distribution’.

It is important to note that it is not a play on words or giving different names to the same thing. Income distribution is NOT interest or dividend. More on this latter, as there are 2 things that are needed to know about income distribution:

1: The fund’s policy on income distribution.
Normally, the policy is either “incidental” or “annual”. The former is usually when the fund is a growth fund, and hence, will only declare a distribution when the fund made some gains.

The latter means that the fund will make an annual distribution (whether this is any real growth or not); and normally, it is an Income or Dividend fund.

Please note some funds are ‘semi-annual’, such as PDSF (Public Dividend Select Fund) and PIDF (Public Islamic Dividend Fund).

2: Your option of having the distribution as “Re-Invest” or “Payout”.
By default, the option is set to “re-invest”; meaning that the distributed amount (in ringgit) is converted to more units in the fund. The 2nd option means that cheque will be made out to you (or directly transferred into your bank account.)

As mentioned in an earlier post, a variable priced mutual fund is re-priced at the end of every business day; and its NAV/unit price is then made known latter at night or the following working day.

NAV means NET Asset Value; meaning the value is a net figure and already taken into account its management & trustee fee, and the market prices of the stocks the fund is holding on that particular day.

Hence, Income Distribution is not accumulated gains or interests that are being paid out. If there is any gain, it is already priced into the NAV/unit price; and which you can attain the gain anytime you wished to, by redeeming the fund at anytime you want, before or after the distribution.

Income distribution is an exercise to give out some money to investors who elected the “payout” option.

(If the distribution option selected is “Re-Invest”, the money is used to buy more units. Since there are now more units, the NAV per unit is then re-priced. After all is said and done, the NAV/unit price is lowered; but the NET value is still the same – meaning that what you have, in ringgit amount, in the fund is still the same - before or after a “re-invest” distribution.)

Master Prospectus

The above info on distribution policy can be found in the prospectus of the fund.

(Prospectus - a document describing the major features of a proposed literary work, project, business venture, etc., in enough detail so that prospective investors, participants, or buyers may evaluate it. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prospectus )

It is advisable to read the master prospectus – which group all the available funds together into one document, to get to know more details of the fund and to compare the funds.

And try to read between the lines too; as it is, after all, a marketing document to present the fund in the best manner to present and market itself.

I would take lightly the “Suggested Minimum Investment Period” which is usually 3-5 years. Please read back the previous post on “Annualized Rates and Service Charges.”

Cheers. Keep investing.

=====================

One thing good about Public Mutual is that they are predictable and efficient in their procedures in handling income distributions. It would help a senior and DIY investor, who is relying on distribution income to finance his/her retirement, to determine which bond or equity funds to have in his/her portfolio.

As usual, Public Mutual had declared income distribution on the last working day of the month, which is yesterday, for those funds with financial year ending 31st May. The re-invested units could be updated in PMO latest by Tuesday.

Cheers.

SUSDavid83
post May 31 2015, 10:46 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Public Mutual declares distributions for 10 unit trust funds

KUALA LUMPUR: Public Mutual Bhd, with a total fund size of RM65.7bil, has declared distributions for 10 of its unit trust funds for the financial year ending May 31, 2015.

URL: http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Busines...unds/?style=biz

ultimate93
post Jun 2 2015, 12:36 AM

Getting Started
260 posts

hello guys, any PDSF investor here?
just get 1sen distribution yesterday...
seems drop compared to previous year...

I am newbie to mutual fund, not more than 4 months, lol

want to ask:
when I top up via public mutual online, there's an option for me to direct top up via interbank (eg maybank), it's any extra charge??

tkwfriend
post Jun 2 2015, 05:56 AM

I always doubt and always something goes wrong
1,828 posts

QUOTE(ultimate93 @ Jun 2 2015, 12:36 AM)
hello guys, any PDSF investor here?
just get 1sen distribution yesterday...
seems drop compared to previous year...

I am newbie to mutual fund, not more than 4 months, lol

want to ask:
when I top up via public mutual online, there's an option for me to direct top up via interbank (eg maybank), it's any extra charge??
Yes there will be charges.

1 sen, on the best effort hope another one on november
kwiklee
post Jun 2 2015, 07:31 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

Hi

I am new to Unit Trust

I got 100k cash to invest in.

Please tell me how to start with Unit Trust and what funds to buy

What is the risk involved ?

Average returns vs FD ?