Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Engine Oil Reviews/Technical talk v2, Everything Automotive lubricants/fluids

views

TSQuazacolt
post Jun 30 2019, 01:06 AM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 29 2019, 09:29 PM)
Well if looking at reputation, Amsoil was actually the first to make FS oil wasn't it?

I truly doubt Motul or LM are better in the real world than Amsoil despite having better base oil. Maybe you can try then do oil analysis test to compare with your favorite Motul and LM.
If I got sponsor I'd be more than glad to, but at this point I have Motul 300v and AMSOIL signature series UOA, I prefer Motul more with much higher additives level (refer first page on my Inspira)

They are different application after all, like I said - one is meant for UOA, the other is meant for racing/performance.

AMSOIL equivalent is dominator series.
TSQuazacolt
post Jun 30 2019, 01:14 AM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 29 2019, 09:29 PM)
Well if looking at reputation, Amsoil was actually the first to make FS oil wasn't it?
And looking at reputation, muhrica is damn good at one thing - marketing

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...at&Number=46987
tongue.gif
6UE5T
post Jun 30 2019, 10:59 AM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 30 2019, 01:06 AM)
If I got sponsor I'd be more than glad to, but at this point I have Motul 300v and AMSOIL signature series UOA, I prefer Motul more with much higher additives level (refer first page on my Inspira)

They are different application after all, like I said - one is meant for UOA, the other is meant for racing/performance.

AMSOIL equivalent is dominator series.
Racing oil is not necessarily suitable for daily street car isn't it? Amsoil has one of if not the highest TBN value if not mistaken. I also saw in some tests that the 300v doesn't withstand heat as much as I thought compared to some other oils despite having such expensive price and ester base. That's why I think Motul is overrated.☺️
TSQuazacolt
post Jun 30 2019, 12:23 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 30 2019, 10:59 AM)
Racing oil is not necessarily suitable for daily street car isn't it? Amsoil has one of if not the highest TBN value if not mistaken. I also saw in some tests that the 300v doesn't withstand heat as much as I thought compared to some other oils despite having such expensive price and ester base. That's why I think Motul is overrated.☺️
That's a misconception for racing oils from Motul/Liqui Moly as they have very high detergent/dispersant and TBN

what you say holds true for older racing oils like Torco/Redline or even AMSOIL where their TBN values are actually very low.

Highest TBN yes, as what my UOA also proven.
But those TBN are mainly detergents and dispersant, for long/extended UOA.

I don't need that so that TBN is irrelevant to me. It merely supports/proven that AMSOIL claims of 25k miles (or well over 40k km) /1 year whichever first OCI marketing holds truth.

That test you've seen (iinm that Russian) is merely an oil being heated up and discolored.
That doesn't hold much ground or value but I believe they have also did wear testing and flow testing subsequently similarly to project farm and I believe 300v hold it's ground (can't remember perfectly if they updated testing for the 300v or was it other lineup)
6UE5T
post Jun 30 2019, 01:51 PM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 30 2019, 12:23 PM)
That's a misconception for racing oils from Motul/Liqui Moly as they have very high detergent/dispersant and TBN

what you say holds true for older racing oils like Torco/Redline or even AMSOIL where their TBN values are actually very low.

Highest TBN yes, as what my UOA also proven.
But those TBN are mainly detergents and dispersant, for long/extended UOA.

I don't need that so that TBN is irrelevant to me. It merely supports/proven that AMSOIL claims of 25k miles (or well over 40k km) /1 year whichever first OCI marketing holds truth.

That test you've seen (iinm that Russian) is merely an oil being heated up and discolored.
That doesn't hold much ground or value but I believe they have also did wear testing and flow testing subsequently similarly to project farm and I believe 300v hold it's ground (can't remember perfectly if they updated testing for the 300v or was it other lineup)
The Project Farm test that I posted above didn't use the 300v but the 8100 and it's beaten just in the first round so still not looking good for Motul, also Liqui Moly which was also eliminated in the first round.

Still for oils costing as expensive as the 300v I expected a lot out of it and should not be beaten by mineral oils costing less than half of it in the heat test.

Amsoil on the other hand seems very well rounded on a high level in all characteristics, more than good enough for practically any street cars with much more reasonable prices to boot.
TSQuazacolt
post Jun 30 2019, 04:20 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 30 2019, 01:51 PM)
The Project Farm test that I posted above didn't use the 300v but the 8100 and it's beaten just in the first round so still not looking good for Motul, also Liqui Moly which was also eliminated in the first round.

Still for oils costing as expensive as the 300v I expected a lot out of it and should not be beaten by mineral oils costing less than half of it in the heat test.

Amsoil on the other hand seems very well rounded on a high level in all characteristics, more than good enough for practically any street cars with much more reasonable prices to boot.
Look at the overall data instead of who's beaten on which round la lol

And Motul 8100 was against Penrite PAO Ester fully synthetic and they are pretty good themselves been around since 1926 and rather big in Australia, just not on a world scale.
Liqui Moly Was also against Amazon basics fully synthetic that's OEM by another old time O&G company (can't remember the name)
Both competition weren't mineral oil at all lol.

The cost may or may not be justifiable for some (like you) and I did mentioned on diminishing returns also.
I'm totally not saying AMSOIL is bad, I've used them as well and still do for my household Nissan Sentra/Kancil for their annual OCI.
I've just having other priorities in performance vehicles that gets heavily abused by an ignorant/lousy driver like me laugh.gif
6UE5T
post Jun 30 2019, 07:40 PM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 30 2019, 04:20 PM)
Look at the overall data instead of who's beaten on which round la lol

And Motul 8100 was against Penrite PAO Ester fully synthetic and they are pretty good themselves been around since 1926 and rather big in Australia, just not on a world scale.
Liqui Moly Was also against Amazon basics fully synthetic that's OEM by another old time O&G company (can't remember the name)
Both competition weren't mineral oil at all lol.

The cost may or may not be justifiable for some (like you) and I did mentioned on diminishing returns also.
I'm totally not saying AMSOIL is bad, I've used them as well and still do for my household Nissan Sentra/Kancil for their annual OCI.
I've just having other priorities in performance vehicles that gets heavily abused by an ignorant/lousy driver like me laugh.gif
In that project farm test, the overall result comparison also shows nothing special of the Motul 8100 and LM Top Tec.

I meant the 300v showed bad in the heat test in the other Russian test while some other mineral oils like the Toyota oil actually withstand the heat better.

You different la, very manja the cars so using very expensive top oils even for low end cars. I just use cheap promotional oils from Giant/Tesco on my cars, poor me. 😅

TSQuazacolt
post Jun 30 2019, 11:58 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 30 2019, 07:40 PM)
In that project farm test, the overall result comparison also shows nothing special of the Motul 8100 and LM Top Tec.

I meant the 300v showed bad in the heat test in the other Russian test while some other mineral oils like the Toyota oil actually withstand the heat better.

You different la, very manja the cars so using very expensive top oils even for low end cars. I just use cheap promotional  oils from Giant/Tesco on my cars, poor me. 😅
I love my vehicles ma what to do laugh.gif
I also actually use cheap Lazada/Tesco/giant promotional oils for my Sentra (this one more towards if I can get 0w20 on promo)/Iswara as well as they leak engine oil tongue.gif
wkc5657
post Jul 1 2019, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 29 2019, 08:56 PM)
There's also recent API /SAE recent studies on LSPI, and AMSOIL overdosing calcium could be a concern for high performance/direct Injection vehicles.
I thought got revised formulation?
TSQuazacolt
post Jul 1 2019, 10:06 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jul 1 2019, 03:58 PM)
I thought got revised formulation?
Even if Got also AMSOIL signature series won't be API certified - too much additives lol

And I didn't know AMSOIL is SN Plus ( to deal with LSPI) yet
wkc5657
post Jul 2 2019, 11:17 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jul 1 2019, 10:06 PM)
Even if Got also AMSOIL signature series won't be API certified - too much additives lol

And I didn't know AMSOIL is SN Plus ( to deal with LSPI) yet
True also, amsoil signature series can never meet API requirements.

Here's the statement in their signature series :
Attached Image
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/moto.../?code=ASMQT-EA

But after all, it is their "claim" la....although i didn't see this statement some years ago when i visited their website. Maybe they did something, may need to dig through bitog for newer version of VOA if available.
TSQuazacolt
post Jul 2 2019, 07:00 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jul 2 2019, 11:17 AM)
But after all, it is their "claim" la....although i didn't see this statement some years ago when i visited their website. Maybe they did something, may need to dig through bitog for newer version of VOA if available.
i didn't knew they updated their marketing laugh.gif

let us know if you do managed to find new VOA/UOA on BITOG wub.gif notworthy.gif
serez
post Jul 3 2019, 03:06 PM

serez beznez
1,225 posts

halo bening wave.gif
i have questions & seek for honest answers. i own a honda civic fb 2012, milage 165k & running. been using 0w20 fully syn honda oil ever since. but some people including mechanics recommend to change to 10w40 or 5w40 semi synth (due to whatever reason they might think eg old engine, long distance travel, etc etc)

1. is it safe for me to stick with 0w20 until only God knows when?
2. if need to change to other grades / viscos, what things should i consider?
3. suggestion (it can be any brand)

many thanks!
ayamxxx
post Jul 3 2019, 03:40 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(serez @ Jul 3 2019, 03:06 PM)
halo bening wave.gif
i have questions & seek for honest answers.  i own a honda civic fb 2012, milage 165k & running. been using 0w20 fully syn honda oil ever since. but some people including mechanics recommend to change to 10w40 or 5w40 semi synth (due to whatever reason they might think eg old engine, long distance travel, etc etc)

many thanks!
Continue 0w20 then. My accord 125k km still with that oil. No problems. Sc also recommend same oil viscosity
terence38
post Jul 4 2019, 08:45 PM

31 posts

Hi guys, totally new in EO here.

Wanna ask what's the difference for different brand like Mobil 1/liqui moly/chemlube/torco/idemitsu/Castrol egde/any good brands you guys may suggest

How do I choose what's best for my Honda accord 8th gen (Perdana type) if I am going for fully synthetic?
mingyuyu
post Jul 8 2019, 02:07 PM

B A N N E D
Group Icon
Elite
3,207 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 30 2019, 11:58 PM)
I love my vehicles ma what to do laugh.gif
I also actually use cheap Lazada/Tesco/giant promotional oils for my Sentra (this one more towards if I can get 0w20 on promo)/Iswara as well as they leak engine oil tongue.gif
Actually how good /bad are those Tesco oils (ex the blue bottle Shell 10w40 semi compared to the Tesco OEM 10w50 oil)?

TSQuazacolt
post Jul 8 2019, 06:24 PM

Riding couple
3,166 posts

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ Jul 8 2019, 02:07 PM)
Actually how good /bad are those Tesco oils (ex the blue bottle Shell 10w40 semi compared to the Tesco OEM 10w50 oil)?
No idea I've never tried those
firefly3x
post Jul 9 2019, 09:40 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

I have a question. I did search but did not see any similar topic asked before, so apologies if it did.

Does the same spec oil with different API have an impact on the engine? 2 different brand of 20W-50 mineral oil but one with API of SJ and the other is SG which is obselete. If i use the one with SG, will it have any negative effect on the engine?

Thanks.
yinchuun
post Jul 14 2019, 06:50 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(Goh1992 @ Jan 23 2019, 01:16 AM)
Hi guys, im switching from 20w50 to 10w40
I feel better on performance but there is a lot smoke(white color) coming out from exhaust pipe.

If that mean the oil not thick enuf?
and i need tp switch back immediately or should be fine to wait until 6k mileage?

Mycar: iswara with 75k mileage
It means your piston ring is not in the good shape.
That's why you should not use 20w50 at the first place. Maybe you can try 15w40 or switch back to 20w50.
yinchuun
post Jul 14 2019, 08:09 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(serez @ Jul 3 2019, 03:06 PM)
halo bening wave.gif
i have questions & seek for honest answers.  i own a honda civic fb 2012, milage 165k & running. been using 0w20 fully syn honda oil ever since. but some people including mechanics recommend to change to 10w40 or 5w40 semi synth (due to whatever reason they might think eg old engine, long distance travel, etc etc)

many thanks!
You are using 0w20 because yours is aluminium angine. If your car has no engine now, just stick to 0w20. Else, you could use 5w20. 5w40 is too thick for aluminium engine.

218 Pages « < 205 206 207 208 209 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0441sec    2.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 01:41 PM