The SSD Thread V4, Solid State Drive

views

NightFelix
post Mar 4 2015, 01:34 PM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Mar 4 2015, 12:43 PM)
guys is there any website show comparison on msata ?

or msata and sata is the same performance?
Top choice would be either Intel, Samsung, Crucial, Plextor. The rest I don't bother to look anyway. tongue.gif
milky
post Mar 4 2015, 01:38 PM

- King -
4,743 posts

QUOTE(NightFelix @ Mar 4 2015, 01:34 PM)
Top choice would be either Intel, Samsung, Crucial, Plextor. The rest I don't bother to look anyway. tongue.gif
maybe i ask this like abit over board..
do i need to wait for samsung evo850 msata or just settle for plextor m6m is good enough? coz i bought a laptop with out harddisk.. tot wan to get samsung 840 msata but no stock..
NightFelix
post Mar 4 2015, 03:18 PM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Mar 4 2015, 01:38 PM)
maybe i ask this like abit over board..
do i need to wait for samsung evo850 msata or just settle for plextor m6m is good enough? coz i bought a laptop with out harddisk.. tot wan to get samsung 840 msata but no stock..
Wait is pain. After it come out, you wait for review again, after review, you wait for discount price again. doh.gif
Maxieos
post Mar 5 2015, 01:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

As for Intel 530

any benchmark 120GB vs 240GB ?
Where selling 240GB intel SSD with RM450?
NightFelix
post Mar 5 2015, 11:39 AM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Mar 5 2015, 01:13 AM)
As for Intel 530

any benchmark 120GB vs 240GB ?
Where selling 240GB intel SSD with RM450?
Simply Google can find their benchmarking. As for price you have to dig online pricelist or ask someone else ady bought.
Skylinestar
post Mar 5 2015, 02:39 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

Anyone here uses M2 SSD? Worth it?
Maxieos
post Mar 5 2015, 06:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

NightFelix does those benchmark the same between malaysia version of SSD ?
and as for the price RM450 , how to confirm whether is original firmware fix ? I heard there's a firmware bug around certain batch .
BOTAK_WAI
post Mar 5 2015, 06:59 PM

Blow Water First Class
3,813 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Mar 5 2015, 02:39 PM)
unless you are using ultrabook, else just buy 2 lite on s900 sata ssd and raid0 it (if you want performance).
NightFelix
post Mar 5 2015, 07:32 PM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Mar 5 2015, 06:48 PM)
and as for the price RM450 , how to confirm whether is original firmware fix ? I heard there's a firmware bug around certain batch .
Benchmarking normally would be same. As for firmware fix, then I have no idea... Im still new toward learning SSD tech news and technology...

I just bought the Liteon s900 256gb because it was so cheap.
smallcrab
post Mar 6 2015, 12:48 AM

Getting Started
125 posts

I have just bought 256GB transcend SSD370.

I am facing problems trying to clone from my 320GB HDD on HP Probook 6450b laptop (Win 7, 5 yrs old).

Transcend Clone software unable to clone multi partitions, i have 2 partitions where one is the HP_Tools partition (F). (However Disk Management showed I have 4 primary partitions rclxub.gif )

I need to clone as i do not fancy reinstalling programs and drivers, and I read that the HP partitions have important programs.

What other software can be used for cloning multi partitions easily ? Please help sad.gif

horns
post Mar 6 2015, 12:54 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Mar 5 2015, 02:39 PM)
i am using a small samsung xp941 as boot drive. the current ones in the market need heat sink to help dissipate heat. for cost reasons, i think 2x 256gb sata ssd raid0 can achieve better performance.

worth it or not, yes to me it's worth it. however, if possible, you should wait for models from other brands (with speed higher than 1GB/s).

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Mar 5 2015, 06:48 PM)
yes, these benchmarks apply to the same ssd in Malaysia.

as for firmware fix, you can check out the manufacturer site for the latest, and apply it yourself via intel ssd toolbox software.

Skylinestar
post Mar 6 2015, 01:10 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 6 2015, 12:54 AM)
i am using a small samsung xp941 as boot drive. the current ones in the market need heat sink to help dissipate heat. for cost reasons, i think 2x 256gb sata ssd raid0 can achieve better performance.

worth it or not, yes to me it's worth it. however, if possible, you should wait for models from other brands (with speed higher than 1GB/s).
yes, these benchmarks apply to the same ssd in Malaysia.

as for firmware fix, you can check out the manufacturer site for the latest, and apply it yourself via intel ssd toolbox software.
Is heat sink included in all M2 SSD?
Is it hotter than standard SSD (which is normally cooled via casing fan intake air)?

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Mar 6 2015, 01:12 AM
horns
post Mar 6 2015, 10:48 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Mar 6 2015, 01:10 AM)
Is heat sink included in all M2 SSD?

Is it hotter than standard SSD (which is normally cooled via casing fan intake air)?
not all. most of them are either bare drive or mounted on a pcie adapter without heatsink. so far i think plextor m6e black has a proper one out-of-box. note that this is not a problem. a simple remedy to this is get a third party pcie adapter (preferably that supports at least pcie 2.0 x4. currently the better one is pcie 3.0 x4) with a proper heatsink.

from reviews, yeah it's hotter. i have posted a comparison video not too long ago (a few pages behind). in short it can reach over 100c with a simple file transfer (large file transfer, GBs of data). the ssd controller was said to be built to withstand such heat, but my main concerns are that overheating effects to other parts of a computer. one thing to note is that heat does affect performance of a ssd, so it's better to keep it within safe operating temperatures in any way possible. (you can refer to the ssd specs for the temperature range)

when i say m.2 ssd i mean those that use pcie lanes, not any other types. the optimal use of m.2 ssd depends on how you want your system to be set up. if your mobo is z97, it's good to run it if you only do a single gpu all the way. if you wanna use more gpu (i.e. sli/cf), x99 systems are more optimal because they have more pcie lanes. (in terms of pcie lanes, i am not talking about using pcie switch in the mobo, because imo they get the job done but not optimal). currently the use of a pcie adapter with heat sink is better in terms of heat dissipation. there will be improvements in this area at later time, and i believe we are not far from using bare m.2 drives safely without heat sink.

This post has been edited by horns: Mar 6 2015, 10:56 AM
NightFelix
post Mar 6 2015, 10:49 AM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

QUOTE(smallcrab @ Mar 6 2015, 12:48 AM)

I am facing problems trying to clone from my 320GB HDD on HP Probook 6450b laptop (Win 7, 5 yrs old).

Transcend Clone software unable to clone multi partitions, i have 2 partitions where one is the HP_Tools partition (F). (However Disk Management showed I have 4 primary partitions  rclxub.gif  )

I need to clone as i do not fancy reinstalling programs and drivers, and I read that the HP partitions have important programs.

What other software can be used for cloning multi partitions easily ? Please help sad.gif
I wonder rather than Transcend Clone software, what else Clone software we can use?
horns
post Mar 6 2015, 10:54 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(smallcrab @ Mar 6 2015, 12:48 AM)

Transcend Clone software unable to clone multi partitions, i have 2 partitions where one is the HP_Tools partition (F). (However Disk Management showed I have 4 primary partitions  rclxub.gif  )

if you must clone it, you can either shrink the partition size to fit the ssd size before cloning (using disk management tool), or use another cloning software that are capable of doing such tasks. i think there are plenty of them that can do the job well, like acronis, macrium reflect, or even free ones, if you care to find out with google.

however, i suggest to get rid of everything and start from scratch. (a fresh install) imo it's the least troublesome.
TShmwgbworld
post Mar 6 2015, 07:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,375 posts

Thread closed, V5 is up: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry73296317

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:04 PM