19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Buying Advice nikon D50 vs D70s?

views

TScfyung85
post Apr 5 2006, 03:30 PM, updated 18y ago

Casual
383 posts

well actually i started this topic in the "nikon fans" forum but planned to put it in the main forum so everyone can share ideas.

so besides the cf n sd card, what other big difference between the D50 n D70s? n whats the market price for D50 now (KL)? any good honest shop to recommend? i dun wanna get 'fried" if u know what i mean sweat.gif

i know D50 is cheaper compared to D70s but if the difference in terms of body built is too big than better off getting a D70s. but if the difference is just minor stuffs...well a D50 should be ok.

really need some help from DSLR pros icon_question.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by cfyung85: Apr 5 2006, 03:31 PM
richx
post Apr 5 2006, 07:17 PM

Sleeping Member
Validating
3,775 posts

The D50 lacks many important features. The lack of DOF preview is a problem for people who want to shoot macros, close-ups and other focus-sensitive applications. The lack of mirror-lockup makes it hard to shoot on a tripod without killing the mirror's initial vibration.

Other than that, the D50 also lacks the D70's wireless flash commander capabilities. The D50's burst rate is slower, but can burst for more shots, if this feature matters to you at all.

The D50's kit lens also leaves you wanting more, compared to the D70's kit lens. All in all, the D50 could have been a great value product, but sadly it lacks too many serious tools.
TScfyung85
post Apr 5 2006, 10:16 PM

Casual
383 posts

thnx a lot for the info! smile.gif i think i'll survey around KL to ask for the best price for both of the cameras

actually the D50 price is really tempting...i checked www.nikon.com.my n it only cost RM 3118 for the body n the..."not so good" lens tongue.gif but i dunno now market price is how much so any guide guys?

but i tried to compare the 2 of the cameras n found nothing much of a difference except for auto white balance, the card type etc (lazy to list out)

sigh...really kinda blur now... shakehead.gif any advise?

This post has been edited by cfyung85: Apr 5 2006, 10:24 PM
BurgaFlippinMan
post Apr 5 2006, 10:37 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

D70 has no mirror lockup too la. the one in its options is only for cleaning purposes. tongue.gif The main differences is that the D70S can finetune WB, has 1/3 stop increments in ISO (D50 is in full stops) and the D70S' inbuilt flash has commander mode. Oh, CF vs SD too. I'd go for the D70S if only for the CF support.
TScfyung85
post Apr 5 2006, 11:01 PM

Casual
383 posts

shocking.gif ......

hmm...if that so most prob i'll get the D50...budget minded a bit tongue.gif n not so pro oso in the 1st place blush.gif oh n is there an option where i dun wan the lens provided in the D50 n get a cheaper price? means that i only wan the body cos i planned to get myself another better(not the best) nikon lens.
richx
post Apr 5 2006, 11:07 PM

Sleeping Member
Validating
3,775 posts

Can the D50 embed EXIF comments like the D70? Also, can the D50 be uploaded with custom curves like the D70? I'm not very sure about these finer features ...
BurgaFlippinMan
post Apr 6 2006, 12:23 AM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

not sure aobut EXIF comments (which i have nver used frankly) but custom curves are doable.
mr-2
post Apr 6 2006, 06:52 PM

Enthusiast
727 posts

The D50 AF-S DX 18-55mm ED kit lens is not all that bad. It focuses reasonably fast and silently for a budget lense. It's sharp and doesn't have as much distortion at 18mm wide compare to the D70 kit lens AF-S DX 18-70mm.

You find more info of D50 at : D50 Review

D50 COMPARED TO D70 and D70s

The D50 improves on the D70 and D70s by:

1.) Adjusting ISO directly in full stops, not cumbersome thirds.

2.) Self timer and remote control options are now set with their own button instead of through the drive mode control. (You lose the meter mode button to get this.) This is the washed-out button in my photo of the top of the D50.

3.) New AF-A mode automatically selects AF-S or AF-C modes for you. You may still select the AF-S and AF-C modes just like the D70 and D70s. There's no icon displayed for this mode since the LCD which would display this new mode is simply the LCD from the D70 and D70s which has no such icon. This is an advantage for tyros for whom the D50 is designed and transparent to serious photographers.

4.) A new default ISO control mode has the camera choose the ISO in the scene modes. You can turn this off to set your own ISO in the scene modes which is how previous cameras worked. The Auto ISO function is also available as with the D70 and D70s. See pages 91 - 92 of the manual for more. This is an advantage for my mom for whom the D50 is designed and transparent to photographers.

5.) Cutesy in-camera ability to copy and resize photos for email to 640 x 480, 240 x 320 and 160 x 120 pixels.

6.) Lower Price.

7.) Less Weight.

8.) Smaller size.

What's missing compared to the D70 and D70s that I'd miss a little:

1.) No White Balance fine-tuning. You can do this through bracketing, but that's cumbersome. If you care about this as I do get the D70s; 99% of people will never miss this.

2.) No front (secondary) command dial. That's OK, the D50 also lacks the WB fine tuning you adjusted with this dial. To adjust the aperture in manual exposure you hold the aperture button (same as the exposure compensation button) while turning the command dial. I prefer this in A and S modes since I never can remember which knob to turn on my D70; on the D50 it's always the one command dial that does it.

3.) No ability to use the built-in flash for remote control of external flash. To do this you'd need to buy an SU-800 or SB-800 for a few hundred dollars, which makes no sense. If you use this feature (I do) just get a D70 or D70s. I have a whole page explaining this here.

4.) No viewfinder grid. I would miss this, most people won't.

5.) SD vs. CF memory cards. Again, better for a tyro whose point-and-shoot probably took these. Bad for pros since we all have pockets full of CF cards, in fact, for a pro the price difference between the D50 and D70s is about the price of a few new SD cards.

6.) No ability to set the lowest shutter speed used with flash in P and A modes. I do set my camera to 1/15 or 1/8 instead of the usual defaults of about 1/60.

7.) No AF area selector lock button. I rarely use this and it bugs me when I do, so no big deal.

8.) Won't work with MS-D70 battery holder for disposable CR2 batteries. Even though the D50 uses the same EN-EL3 rechargeable, there is a pin on the MS-D70 that corresponds to a hole in the D70 and D70s. To jam it into the D50 you'd have to take a pair of dykes to the MS-D70, but don't do that since the MS-D70 puts out a higher voltage than the EN-EL3 for which the D70 and D70s can compensate and the D50 can't. The EN-EL3 makes 7.4V while the MS-D70 pumps out 9V. I do keep an MS-D70 in my bag if my rechargeable ever dies on me, which has never happened in over a year of use.

9.) 2.5 FPS compared to D70's and D70s' 3 FPS.

10.) No prophylactic LCD cover. I suggest using a conventional stick-on one cut to size like these here so you simply may replace the cover, and not the camera, when you scratch it up.

11.) No illumination of top numeric LCD panel. In the dark use the menus and see them on the rear color LCD.

12.) No depth-of-field preview button. No big deal, 99% of photographers don't even know what this button does even if the D50 had it.

13.) No top LCD illuminator. You'll have to bring a flashlight or rely only on the viewfinder shooting in the dark.

14.) No two-finger FORMAT CARD buttons. You have to go into a menu. Pros refoprmat a card every time they use it. We don't just erase the images. We reformat because it eliminates any potential for data errors and other weird things that can accumulate over time without reformatting.

What's missing that I never used on my D70 anyway:

1.) Only 1/4,000 top shutter speed compared to 1/8,000. Not important; I've never even used 1/4,000 on any of my cameras.

2.) The D50 loses the hard button for bracketing. One has to use a menu instead.

3.) No custom function for setting exposure compensation without having to press the +/- button. No big deal, the default is just hold the +/- button and turn the command dial like every other Nikon DSLR.

4.) No ability to change the diameter of the center weighted meter (Note to Nikon: specs on page 130 claim this feature however there is no way to set it in the menus on page 96).

5.) No ability to set the order of bracketing.

6.) No ability to allow your selection of AF areas to wrap around when you go off one end.

7.) No ability to turn off the "use flash" symbol in the viewfinder.

8.) No meter mode button. I never use center or spot meters, but if you do you now have to go find them in a menu. The meter button of the D70 and D70s is now the self timer and remote control button on the D50, which I prefer.

SUMMARY

The Nikon D50 is a great camera for basic photographers, non-photographers or backup. Image quality is identical to the D70 and D70s, which means brilliant 12 x 18" prints that many people confuse with prints from a medium format film camera. Most people will never miss the few features I would, so if you don't have any idea what I'm talking about in my comparisons get a D50 and you'll love it.

But if you have the $$$. Go for the D70s lah. I am saving up to upgrade pretty soon. rclxms.gif
Intrigue
post Apr 6 2006, 07:08 PM

L O W Y A T E R
3,917 posts

i also in the mist of getting one

either 350D or D70s or D50..

now gonna get my hands and molest those cam first
BurgaFlippinMan
post Apr 6 2006, 07:09 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

QUOTE(mr-2 @ Apr 6 2006, 06:52 PM)
The D50 AF-S DX 18-55mm ED kit lens is not all that bad. It focuses reasonably fast and silently for a budget lense. It's sharp and doesn't have as much distortion at 18mm wide compare to the D70 kit lens AF-S DX 18-70mm.

You find more info of D50 at : D50 Review
But if you have the $$$. Go for the D70s lah. I am saving up to upgrade pretty soon.  rclxms.gif
Please, not Ken Rockwell. doh.gif
mr-2
post Apr 6 2006, 08:08 PM

Enthusiast
727 posts

laugh.gif Ahhaha... why lah brother? sweat.gif
TScfyung85
post Apr 6 2006, 08:24 PM

Casual
383 posts

rclxms.gif not bad not bad. seems that i have found what i want smile.gif

i'm a normal photographer who shoots photo as a hobby so i think D50 is enough for me. anyway, anyone know how much is D50 body only? hopefully it is below 2500 blush.gif

i planned to get myself the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED since its kinda cheap. any suggestion? my budget for the lens is about 1000 sad.gif or maybe should i just stick back to the 18-55mm lens provided?
chizzu
post Apr 6 2006, 09:35 PM

ブラック★ロックチューター BEAST
1,357 posts

i would suggest 18-70 tongue.gif
TScfyung85
post Apr 6 2006, 09:42 PM

Casual
383 posts

is that the lens fitted in the D70s kit?

yar my friend oso recommend me that lens but if D50 + that lens then the price should be almost equal to the D70s with the lens(correct me if i'm wrong...still kinda blur with the price) tongue.gif
faust
post Apr 6 2006, 09:51 PM

Getting Started
129 posts

Sure you haven't considered something other than the big two?

If you're not prone to collecting lenses, and don't already have a whole store of some, and can focus yourself on the hobby (ok la, give and take some occasional indulging), why not try more stuff for comparison?

Ever thought of an 18-55 that can do good close focus, hmm? Handles better than the DX 18-55 (and the 18-70 as well, imho), non-rotating barrel, and can do autofocus-then-manual-override (usefulness depends on whether you have such need, but it's there), hmm?

I don't usually make recommendations, but I'm feeling happy laugh.gif The trick being, it may be possible for you to get such a package at similar, or lower prices. Hehe.

More importantly, is that your choice makes YOU happy smile.gif
ceo684
post Apr 6 2006, 10:00 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

For the telephoto lens forget the 55-200 and get a sigma 70-300 instead.
Longer range and better resale value.
TScfyung85
post Apr 6 2006, 10:00 PM

Casual
383 posts

i'm using a digicam pansonic fz30 all this while n it is equipped with a 35-420mm lens

in fact whats the difference between a SLR lens n those digicam lens i oso dunno rclxub.gif thats y i aim for cheap DSLR cam n lens n slowly learn things. can say i'm a newbie in these stuffs blush.gif

anyway until now no 1 gave me a price for D50 body only flex.gif (well someone gave me D70s oledi at least smile.gif ). maybe i'll ask tomolo in sungei wang n low yat unsure.gif

This post has been edited by cfyung85: Apr 6 2006, 10:00 PM
Categg
post Apr 6 2006, 10:01 PM

Still A Forum Lurker
677 posts

QUOTE(cfyung85 @ Apr 6 2006, 08:24 PM)
rclxms.gif not bad not bad. seems that i have found what i want  smile.gif

i'm a normal photographer who shoots photo as a hobby so i think D50 is enough for me. anyway, anyone know how much is D50 body only? hopefully it is below 2500  blush.gif 

i planned to get myself the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED since its kinda cheap. any suggestion? my budget for the lens is about 1000  sad.gif or maybe should i just stick back to the 18-55mm lens provided?
Ever thought about third party lense? Stick to the 18-55mm and add another sigma 70-300mm for around RM700 tongue.gif
TScfyung85
post Apr 6 2006, 10:04 PM

Casual
383 posts

well actually my dad was using the nikon F100 film SLR

he got 2 lenses...the nikkor dunno what lens(portrait) n another sigma huge long lens...if i'm not mistaken it is 200-500mm...maybe he can spare me that 1 n his tripod oso biggrin.gif

anyway thnx million lots for the info guys smile.gif it really helped me a lot although there r numerous photography jargons that i dun understand blush.gif

i'll ask for the D50 n D70s tomolo in sungei wang n low yat n try to consider again. well have to ask my ol' dad to teach me these slr stuffs now blush.gif

thnx a lot guys!!! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by cfyung85: Apr 6 2006, 10:07 PM
kb2005
post Apr 6 2006, 10:08 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,379 posts

QUOTE(cfyung85 @ Apr 5 2006, 03:30 PM)
well actually i started this topic in the "nikon fans" forum but planned to put it in the main forum so everyone can share ideas.

so besides the cf n sd card, what other big difference between the D50 n D70s? n whats the market price for D50 now (KL)? any good honest shop to recommend? i dun wanna get 'fried" if u know what i mean  sweat.gif

i know D50 is cheaper compared to D70s but if the difference in terms of body built is too big than better off getting a D70s. but if the difference is just minor stuffs...well a D50 should be ok.

really need some help from DSLR pros  icon_question.gif  sweat.gif
If money is not a concern for you, why don't you buy D70 ?

19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0196sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:46 PM