1 to 1.5” per year is a good guide !
Cheers

[/quote

You deworm your babies?
SAMPERTH
post Dec 4 2017, 04:15 PM

On my way
517 posts

QUOTE(Relentless @ Dec 4 2017, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE(SAMPERTH @ Dec 4 2017, 03:35 PM)

1 to 1.5” per year is a good guide !
Cheers

You deworm your babies?
I seldom deworm any of my turtle ! But I bet some of them are full of worms !

Predator type like mata mata and snapping or even slider are easy to deworm - inject the worming medication into the feeder fish or shrimp and feed ( tip is starve your babies for at least a few meal till it look hungry and constant moving around looking for a feed , before feeding )

Cheers

This post has been edited by SAMPERTH: Dec 4 2017, 04:18 PM
ron c
post Dec 4 2017, 04:20 PM

45 posts

You deworm your babies?
I have read it is difficult to deworm mata2s because they are constantly exposed to bacteria and germs from their feeding requirement of live feeders.
Relentless
post Dec 4 2017, 06:33 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(ron c @ Dec 4 2017, 04:20 PM)
I have read it is difficult to deworm mata2s because they are constantly exposed to bacteria and germs from their feeding requirement of live feeders.
Yeah. I realise that so i plan to get a pair of tilapia to get the fries
I got a pair of convict cichlid now and waiting for it to breed.
I realise that most of the feeder in lfs are weak and easily succumb to death when i attempt to acclimitize them to blackwater.

SAMPERTH
post Dec 4 2017, 07:22 PM

On my way
517 posts

QUOTE(Relentless @ Dec 4 2017, 07:33 PM)
Yeah. I realise that so i plan to get a pair of tilapia to get the fries
I got a pair of convict cichlid  now and waiting for it to breed.
I realise that most of the feeder in lfs are weak and easily succumb to death when i attempt to acclimitize them to  blackwater.
Breeding your food supply is the best way to go ! Like snake keeper will try to breed their own rats or mice if they have multiple snakes .

Dragon fly nymphs beside tapoles are good food items for variety .....

A good SOP will be to soak the feeder in diluted S1 or iodine before putting into turtle tank !

Swordtail and mollies take to salty/brackish water better than say baby koi/goldfish .

Cheers

Relentless
post Dec 4 2017, 07:50 PM

44 posts

[quote=SAMPERTH,Dec 4 2017, 07:22 PM]
Breeding your food supply is the best way to go ! Like snake keeper will try to breed their own rats or mice if they have multiple snakes .

Dragon fly nymphs beside tapoles are good food items for variety .....

A good SOP will be to soak the feeder in diluted S1 or iodine before putting into turtle tank !

Swordtail and mollies take to salty/brackish water better than say baby koi/goldfish .

Cheers

[/quote

Yeah. I even went to a lake last week to net fishes to feed my turtle.
Especially haruan fries. Hehe
SAMPERTH
post Dec 4 2017, 08:07 PM

On my way
517 posts

QUOTE(Relentless @ Dec 4 2017, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE(SAMPERTH @ Dec 4 2017, 07:22 PM)

Dragon fly nymphs beside tapoles are good food items for variety  ..... 

Cheers
Haruan fry maybe a little quick , try fighting fish fry ( breeder have rejects here and there ) or just breed your own !

Even adult brine shrimps are good !

Cheers
Relentless
post Dec 4 2017, 09:12 PM

44 posts

[quote=SAMPERTH,Dec 4 2017, 08:07 PM]

[/quote]
Haruan fry maybe a little quick , try fighting fish fry ( breeder have rejects here and there ) or just breed your own !

Cheers

[/quote]

Honestly,the first feeder I tried were the female betta,usually can be obtain for rm1 in LFS.
I did the head counts and they remain as serene as ever in the mata2 turtle tank for the duration of the tank setup
So I move towards guppies,but like I said before,they 're fragile and dont last a long time in blackwater tank
I could see some belly up(perhaps lack of food,,perhaps.....)
Next,I secure a couple of 1-2 inches tilapias and I keep a track on the numbers, surprisingly the numbers came down.
So the mata2 finally fed
Given the difficulty in getting smaller tilapias,
I venture into the getting 1-2 inches soon hock double as feeder fish(i kept it in the quarantine tank)
The latest percurement would be the the 4 croaking gouramis, of which I release into the mata2 tank a couple of minutes ago so as we speak.

SAMPERTH
post Dec 5 2017, 10:48 AM

On my way
517 posts

[quote=Relentless,Dec 4 2017, 10:12 PM]

Cheers

[/quote]

Honestly,the first feeder I tried were the female betta,usually can be obtain for rm1 in LFS.
I did the head counts and they remain as serene as ever in the mata2 turtle tank for the duration of the tank setup
So I move towards guppies,but like I said before,they 're fragile and dont last a long time in blackwater tank
Next,I secure a couple of 1-2 inches tilapias and I keep a track on the numbers, surprisingly the numbers came down.
So the mata2 finally fed
I venture into the getting 1-2 inches soon hock double as feeder fish(i kept it in the quarantine tank)
The latest percurement would be the the 4 croaking gouramis, of which I release into the mata2 tank a couple of minutes ago so as we speak.

[/quote]

[attachmentid=9403478]

Soon hock fry are good choice too ( can stand brackish ) but they don’t swim much thus need the mata2 to seek them out !

But I rather grow up soon hock for sale as ready market for them . ( I breed them for grow out )

Cheers

Relentless
post Dec 5 2017, 12:37 PM

44 posts

[quote=SAMPERTH,Dec 5 2017, 10:48 AM]
So the mata2 finally fed

[/quote]

[attachmentid=9403478]

Soon hock fry are good choice too ( can stand brackish ) but they don’t swim much thus need the mata2 to seek them out !

But I rather grow up soon hock for sale as ready market for them . ( I breed them for grow out )

Cheers

[/quote]

Side income for soon hock la
Soon hock have a very frustrating growth rate
Doubt you can rely as a main stream of income.
After quarantine it. I am gonna feed it to mata2.hiak hiak hiak
SAMPERTH
post Dec 5 2017, 04:55 PM

On my way
517 posts

[quote=Relentless,Dec 5 2017, 01:37 PM]
[QUOTE][attachmentid=9403478]

Cheers

[/quote][/QUOTE]

[/quote]

Depends how you farm them , mine on pellets , indoor cement / fiberglass tank and growth not too bad !

Feed on live food and outdoor in mud pond takes forever to reach even 6-700g ( except for a few alpha adult )

Just like those long blue claw giant fresh water prawn !

Cheers

Relentless
post Dec 5 2017, 05:43 PM

44 posts

[quote=SAMPERTH,Dec 5 2017, 04:55 PM]
[/QUOTE]

[/quote]

Depends how you farm them , mine on pellets , indoor cement / fiberglass tank and growth not too bad !

Feed on live food and outdoor in mud pond takes forever to reach even 6-700g ( except for a few alpha adult )

Just like those long blue claw giant fresh water prawn !

Cheers

[/quote]

Icic
ron c
post Dec 15 2017, 12:34 PM

45 posts

Wah, now dropped to the 2nd page. Have to bump up this thread.

My Mata2 fouls up the water very quickly.
I put it in a plastic container without filter and have to change the water every 2-3 days. I doubt a small filter will help.
But its not a problem cos' I just pour away the water and fill in fresh ones. Water is only about 3 inches deep.
Its eating a lot, even immediately after a water change. I feed it baby koi with turtle pellets stuffed into their mouths for additional nutrition...
SAMPERTH
post Dec 15 2017, 05:19 PM

On my way
517 posts

QUOTE(ron c @ Dec 15 2017, 01:34 PM)
Wah, now dropped to the 2nd page. Have to bump up this thread.

My Mata2 fouls up the water very quickly.
I put it in a plastic container without filter and have to change the water every 2-3 days. I doubt a small filter will help.
But its not a problem cos' I just pour away the water and fill in fresh ones. Water is only about 3 inches deep.
Its eating a lot, even immediately after a water change. I feed it baby koi with turtle pellets stuffed into their mouths for additional nutrition...
Unstable water parameters too often will cause them to shed excessively which may or may not affect their growth or appetite !

ron c
post Dec 15 2017, 05:23 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(SAMPERTH @ Dec 15 2017, 05:19 PM)
Unstable water parameters too often will cause them to shed excessively which may or may not affect their growth or appetite !
Yes, I have wondered about this point too.
Anyway to overcome the dirty water issue? I doubt a filter will work and the water level is too low for a filter to work anyway.
SAMPERTH
post Dec 15 2017, 05:40 PM

On my way
517 posts

Maybe undergravel filter like those for plant tank ? Or powerhead type but place it sleeping down ( so dont need high water level to work )

[attachmentid=9435646][attachmentid=9435647]

SAMPERTH
post Dec 16 2017, 11:11 AM

On my way
517 posts

[attachmentid=9436221]

My this turtle also don’t need deep water to keep ! A fun species to keep as well .

So fun that my children take over to keep as their own . LOL
Relentless
post Dec 16 2017, 12:24 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(SAMPERTH @ Dec 16 2017, 11:11 AM)
[attachmentid=9436221]

My this turtle also don’t need deep water to keep ! A fun species to keep as well .

So fun that my children take over to keep as their own . LOL
i am to understand this is more terrestrial type of turtle, living in rocky waterfall area
anyway,You breed them yet?
Relentless
post Dec 16 2017, 12:27 PM

44 posts

I have kept my mata2 turtle over the last 1 month.
So far I only do water change weekly basis
I dont monitor my turtle,all I did was to make sure there are fishes in the tank for it to feast on.I used catappa leaves to reduce the water pH
SAMPERTH
post Dec 16 2017, 05:57 PM

On my way
517 posts

QUOTE(Relentless @ Dec 16 2017, 01:24 PM)
i am to understand this is more terrestrial type of turtle, living in rocky waterfall area
anyway,You breed them yet?
Ya they climb a bit thus the rock and a dry dock above !

Breeding , ya but they multiply slowly ! Lol

57 Pages « < 52 53 54 55 56 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0232sec    0.19    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:36 AM