Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Repraps and DIY 3D Printing!, Open source hardware~

views

ozak
post Mar 27 2018, 12:17 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(konspiracy @ Mar 27 2018, 12:11 PM)
Hey guys. I pulled the trigger and got the Prusa MK2S instead of the CR-10S I originally wanted. Kinda addicted to printing stuff now tongue.gif
Congrat.

I heard the Prusa I3 MK3 more famous now. Many great feature in this printer.

BeastX
post Mar 27 2018, 12:20 PM

Genomics Revolution; Proud to be a Scientist
5,774 posts

FYI... you maybe able to pick-up some bargains from Gearbest this week till early April...
konspiracy
post Mar 27 2018, 12:24 PM

On my way
641 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 27 2018, 12:17 PM)
Congrat.

I heard the Prusa I3 MK3 more famous now. Many great feature in this printer.
Yeah well. It's also nearly RM1k more expensive lol
ozak
post Mar 27 2018, 03:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(konspiracy @ Mar 27 2018, 12:24 PM)
Yeah well. It's also nearly RM1k more expensive lol
Currency sucks. 1K alot.

ozak
post Mar 27 2018, 04:33 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Since I need more Silica gel to keep the filament dry, I need to get it in big quantity. Daiso silica gel is expensive if want a lot.

Than to recycle the silica gel, I need to oven it dry at the temperature of 80°c. Advice from the expect seller. This process will be repeat again and again for filament box.

Since I can't use the kitchen oven, microwave or toaster for drying the silica gel (safety food purpose), I decide to modify a toaster.

Toaster is same as oven but cheaper version. But toaster is not temperature precise and can spoil the silica gel when the temperature raise high. I need to control the temperature at around 80°c. Without modify it, it is impossible.

Thing I need.

2nd hand toaster. Found it in 2nd hand shop in good running condition.
user posted image

A solid state relay to control the heater on/off.
user posted image

Temperature controller
user posted image

Thermocouple for sensing inside temperature
user posted image

Design and print the attachment and wire casing. The wire casing later broken cause by bad design.
user posted image

Start the modify. Wired up all the component. Place the wire into the heat insulation sleeve. SSR place at behind to dissipate the heat out.
user posted image

Attach the controller at the side toaster cover. Away from heat. This toaster can be very hot. The PLA material might not survive the heat.
user posted image

Design again the wire casing.
user posted image

Fit nicely the casing and controller attachment.
user posted image

Done. Now I can control the temperature precisely. It take about 30-45min to dry the silica gel. Another usefull is to melt the printing surface to smooth it out. Also can be dry any painting parts.
user posted image

Total cost is about RM90.

This post has been edited by ozak: May 28 2018, 10:28 AM
Left4Dead2
post Mar 27 2018, 04:36 PM

Regular
1,085 posts

Is it hard to play this if dont have any drawing software programming knowledge ?
ozak
post Mar 27 2018, 05:15 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Left4Dead2 @ Mar 27 2018, 04:36 PM)
Is it hard to play this if dont have any drawing software programming knowledge ?
No. You don't need prg knowledge.

You can learn a design software as simple like google skecthup. If you want to design some stuff yourself.

Or plenty of thing to download from website. Like https://www.thingiverse.com/. To print.

But definitely require some knowledge of how to print and the troubleshoot.

konspiracy
post Mar 27 2018, 09:53 PM

On my way
641 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 27 2018, 03:26 PM)
Currency sucks. 1K alot.
Yup. So I'd rather buy a tried and tested last year's model and buy some awesome upgrades for the printer hehhe. At the time when I ordered the MK2S, Prusa was also still having issues with the MK3 removable beds + 1 over month wait.

This post has been edited by konspiracy: Mar 27 2018, 09:54 PM
konspiracy
post Mar 27 2018, 10:13 PM

On my way
641 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 27 2018, 04:33 PM)
Done. Now I can control the temperature precisely. It take about 30-45min to dry the silica gel. Another usefull is to melt the printing surface to smooth it out. Also can be dry any painting parts.
user posted image
Wah cool. I'm thinking of sticking a dehumidifier inside the storage container with the filament so I don't need to use silica gel. Let's see if it'll work. Is your window seal + IKEA box airtight enough?
ozak
post Mar 27 2018, 11:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(konspiracy @ Mar 27 2018, 10:13 PM)
Wah cool. I'm thinking of sticking a dehumidifier inside the storage container with the filament so I don't need to use silica gel. Let's see if it'll work. Is your window seal + IKEA box airtight enough?
Not so sure. Monitoring now.

If the seal not good enough, will change to another type. The window seal that using now is more than 10yrs in my store. Probably degrade the rubber. Have another type of seal in my store.

I try to not use much energy when printer not running. So dehumidifier is out of my choice. Beside, the container can't put 4 filament if using dehumidifier.
I<3LYN
post Mar 28 2018, 05:50 PM

On my way
612 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 27 2018, 04:33 PM)
Since I need more Silica gel to keep the filament dry, I need to get it in big quantity. Daiso silica gel is expensive if want a lot.

Than to recycle the silica gel, I need to oven it dry at the temperature of 80°c. Advice from the expect seller. This process will be repeat again and again for filament box.

Since I can't use the kitchen oven, microwave or toaster for drying the silica gel (safety food purpose), I decide to modify a toaster.

Toaster is same as oven but cheaper version. But toaster is not temperature precise and can spoil the silica gel when the temperature raise high. I need to control the temperature at around 80°c. Without modify it, it is impossible.

Thing I need.

2nd hand toaster. Found it in 2nd hand shop in good running condition.
user posted image

A solid state relay to control the heater on/off.
user posted image

Temperature controller
user posted image

Thermocouple for sensing inside temperature
user posted image

Design and print the attachment and wire casing. The wire casing later broken cause by bad design.
user posted image

Start the modify. Wired up all the component. Place the wire into the heat insulation sleeve. SSR place at behind to dissipate the heat out.
user posted image

Attach the controller at the side toaster cover. Away from heat. This toaster can be very hot. The PLA material might not survive the heat.
user posted image

Design again the wire casing.
user posted image

Fit nicely the casing and controller attachment.
user posted image

user posted image

Total cost is about RM90.
silica gel are food safe... this is why you see them in pills bottle, snacks etc.
ozak
post Mar 28 2018, 06:18 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(I<3LYN @ Mar 28 2018, 05:50 PM)
silica gel are food safe... this is why you see them in pills bottle, snacks etc.
Silica gel have 2 type. Food grade and non food grade.

The color wan is non food grade. It been ban in western country.
I<3LYN
post Mar 29 2018, 04:23 AM

On my way
612 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 28 2018, 06:18 PM)
Silica gel have 2 type. Food grade and non food grade.

The color wan is non food grade. It been ban in western country.
nope, that was Dimethyl fumarate, not silica gel, silica gel is chemically inert.
BeastX
post Mar 29 2018, 05:29 AM

5,774 posts

QUOTE(I<3LYN @ Mar 29 2018, 04:23 AM)
nope, that was Dimethyl fumarate, not silica gel, silica gel is chemically inert.
Silica gel infused with Colbalt chloride (blue/pink)... has been banned
ozak
post Mar 29 2018, 08:24 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(I<3LYN @ Mar 29 2018, 04:23 AM)
Sorry. I don't no much about chemical.

I only been inform about the food grade and non food grade silica gel. And how to identiti it.

Please tell me more about this Dimethyl fumarate.
BeastX
post Mar 29 2018, 08:34 AM

5,774 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Mar 29 2018, 08:24 AM)
Sorry. I don't no much about chemical.

I only been inform about the food grade and non food grade silica gel. And how to identiti it.

Please tell me more about this Dimethyl fumarate.
The silica gel blue (when dry), pink (when wet) is non-food safe... and no longer used with food stuff...

blue/pink colour indicator through infused colbalt chloride.

I'm not aware of any Dimethyl fumarate application used for absorption of moisture... and I'm a scientist...

This post has been edited by BeastX: Mar 29 2018, 08:40 AM
ozak
post Mar 29 2018, 08:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(BeastX @ Mar 29 2018, 08:34 AM)
The silica gel blue (when dry), pink (when wet) is non-food safe... and no longer used with food stuff...

I'm not aware of any Dimethyl fumarate application used for absorption of moisture... and I'm a scientist...
Thanks. I understand about this infused cobalt chloride into silica gel. It been totally ban in western country.

But not here. So we need to aware how to use it. Even the thing contact with such silica gel is not safe if it for food.

So far I know 2 type common in market. Silica gel and another is Hippo. (forget the chemical name.)
aeiou228
post Mar 29 2018, 09:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,830 posts

QUOTE(BeastX @ Mar 29 2018, 08:34 AM)

I'm using it for storing non food item in plastic storage boxes. I recharge it in microwave oven and air flyer and clean the oven thoroughly after used. What health hazard I might be risking ? Thanks.
BeastX
post Mar 29 2018, 09:29 AM

5,774 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Mar 29 2018, 09:09 AM)
I'm using it for storing non food item in plastic storage boxes. I recharge it in microwave oven  and air flyer and clean the oven thoroughly after used. What health hazard I might be risking ? Thanks.
The blue ones (of even the white ones)... with multiple quick heating may crack the beads to powder/dust form... and if you breath in these dust it may cause "lung disease silicosis"....

Also Cobalt (II) chloride that's infused (blue/pink indicator) is a possible carcinogen (causes cancer)

Here's the MSDS: http://datasheets.scbt.com/sc-252623.pdf

This post has been edited by BeastX: Mar 29 2018, 09:30 AM
aeiou228
post Mar 29 2018, 09:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,830 posts

QUOTE(BeastX @ Mar 29 2018, 09:29 AM)
The blue ones (of even the white ones)... with multiple quick heating may crack the beads to powder/dust form... and if you breath in these dust it may cause "lung disease silicosis"....

Also Cobalt (II) chloride that's infused (blue/pink indicator) is a possible carcinogen (causes cancer)

Here's the MSDS: http://datasheets.scbt.com/sc-252623.pdf
Wow !. Didn't know that. Thanks. notworthy.gif
I use disposable moisture absorbers too (similar to that of thirsty hippo). Are they health hazard too?

97 Pages « < 92 93 94 95 96 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.33    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:36 PM