Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Repraps and DIY 3D Printing!, Open source hardware~

OoiTY
post Mar 2 2012, 12:27 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap can print those parts, RepRap is a self-replicating machine - one that anyone can build given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend...

How does the Reprap machine work?
It’s a 3D printer, that is to say a computer controlled machine that can draw a highly intricate pattern and move up a fraction of a millimeter and draw another pattern. In this case instead of dispensing ink onto the paper, it uses a plastic extruder (think hot glue gun) into a flat surface until a very detailed 3D object is created. It is a critical machine in any manufacturing factory, or research and development lab.

Here is an excellent video from the Reprap founders showing how the Mendel Reprap works, worth the watch!-(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUB1WgiAFHg) What is the point? The Reprap Project (www.reprap.org) envisions that 3D printing will be found in every home in the future. And will change the way goods are made. Instead of running to the shop every time you need a little trinket for one thing or another, you could likely make it at home and for less cost. For most homes, this is still a dream but with the help of the developer community the printer is constantly undergoing an evolution and learning how to print faster more precisely and with new materials. One day the machine will be able to print 100% of all its parts.

Okay, but why?
Well, first of all, it's cool as hell. Secondly, you can print more printers for fun (and profit!). Thirdly, you can print rather beautiful models and objects, properly configured, a reprap can print stuff that gives commercial printers that cost USD$10-30k a run for their money.

For example;

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

More at; http://www.thingiverse.com/

Whoa, those are beautiful, but how much will it cost?

Personally, I'll put the figure at somewhere around $600-800 USD from international sources, not including shipping and the time you'll take to put it all together. If you're resourceful and/or very good at hunting for cheap parts, you can bring that figure even lower.

I've built a Reprap Prusa Mendel before, and I'll be printing out a set of parts to put together another printer when I get back to Malaysia. smile.gif Anyone else interested in building one?

Added on March 5, 2012, 5:02 pmHmm.. since noone's posting I guess I'll share the research I've done so far. I've been looking around for the places to source the materials to put together a Reprap cheaply, and easily.

Basically, a reprap is split into two parts, the Printed parts and the Vitamins.

Printed parts are parts of the printer which can be printed on another printer, while vitamins are parts which can not. Motors, electonics, steel rods, etc.

Electronics
The most common electronics for repraps are either RAMPS or Sanguinololu. Kits can be found for about 50-60USD
RAMPS is more fully featured than Sanguinololu, but it's also more expensive, because it relies on an Arduino board (Which is another ~50-60USD on top of the board's price).
The prices above are for unassembled kits, which means you'll need to do your own soldering, if you're not up to that, you can get assembled ones for a premium.

On the boards sit 4-5x stepper drivers, and arguably the best stepper drivers you can get are Pololu's. (About $15USD each and you'll need at least 4)

The motors used for repraps are called Stepper Motors, which is different from DC motors which you find in your old Tamiya cars. The common size used is NEMA 17, and sometimes for the extruder, NEMA 14 motors are used to save weight. Most stores online sell these at 25USD each, and you'll need at least 5 of them for a Prusa Mendel.

Hotend

Arguably the most important part of the printer is the Extruder. This is where the plastic filament gets fed into the printer and hot molten plastic comes out that can then be formed into your objects. There are a number of commercial hotends available and here are a few of the popular ones;

Arcol: http://shop.arcol.hu/
Budaschnozzle: http://www.lulzbot.com/en/5-hot-ends
J-Head: http://hotends.com/ and http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=784
Makergear: http://www.makergear.com/products/operators-pack
Parcan: http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=59

The extruder is one of the parts of the printer which you won't be able to get much cheaper if you tried to assemble one yourself, unless you make it in large quantities. So it's cheaper (and easier!) to just get one of the popular ones. smile.gif

Hardware
Belts and pulleys connect and drive the printer's X and Y axis. If you have an old printer that doesn't work anymore, you could probably rip it apart and salvage the timing belt and pulley found inside. Otherwise, try to get either T2.5, GT2 or MXL belts with a 2mm pitch. You'll need around 2m for both X and Y axis (1m for each) and don't worry, because it doesn't have to be a continuous loop. You can buy metal pulleys online, they're nice, but plastic pulley would work fine too, and they would be cheaper.
T5 belts can still be used, but they're now outdated by the finer toothed belts.

Nuts, bolts, 608zz bearings (Common skateboard bearings). We'll need a bunch of these, which I assume can be found easily in local hardware stores..

Stainless steel threaded rods (allthread) and smooth bars (Bar stock?) are the parts which I'm having trouble finding a source for in Malaysia, and would love to know where I can get them cheap-ish-ly.

Software
It's free. Nuff said. smile.gif Don't worry about this, there are some great guys developing firmware and programs which converts your 3D model into physical printed objects. biggrin.gif

user posted image vs user posted image

I figured I'd try to build a Mendelmax, which uses Aluminium T-Slot extrusions instead of the Prusa's rods, which gives it more stability and rigidity, allowing it to go faster and give better quality prints. (Although smooth rods and threaded rods are still needed.. advice on where to get them anyone?)

It's been recommended to get the extrusions from Misumi's website, and they've recently started a Malaysian branch! (Although the web ordering is stupid; fill in an excel spreadsheet and email it back to them for a quote?!). Unless anyone knows somewhere to get Aluminum extrusions cheap, I think that's where I'll be getting most of my hardware from. EDIT - Apparently only Misumi USA is willing to sell to individuals, hence, don't bother with the Malaysian branch.

This post has been edited by OoiTY: Mar 26 2012, 10:13 PM
ray123
post Mar 5 2012, 10:15 PM

Senior Citizen
Group: Senior Member

Start a blog and tell us how it goes. I'm really interested in this.

What are you going to do for the data input? A 3D scanner?
jason83
post Mar 5 2012, 11:14 PM

Enthusiast

You can also check this out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printr...irst-3d-printer

$499 only for a fully functional 3d printer.
OoiTY
post Mar 7 2012, 11:14 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ray123 @ Mar 5 2012, 10:15 PM)
Start a blog and tell us how it goes. I'm really interested in this.

What are you going to do for the data input? A 3D scanner?
It can be a 3D scanner, I don't have one. If you want to print real objects, I think there's a program called 123D by autocad that takes pictures of objects taken from multiple angles and converts it into a 3D model. If I make models, I usually either use Sketchup or Rhino and export it to STL (Common filetype for 3D printing). Thingiverse is a big library of 3D printable objects and I've spent most of my time printing parts from there rather than designing my own.

QUOTE(jason83 @ Mar 5 2012, 11:14 PM)
You can also check this out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printr...irst-3d-printer

$499 only for a fully functional 3d printer.
More like $540, with shipping for international customers wink.gif

Seriously, though. the Printrbot is quite famous (notorious) among the reprap developers. It's a decent printer, if it's run at it's recommended size (small) and relatively slowly. Speed it up or scale it up, and it has problems with wobble and vibration. It's basically trading stability and rigidity for a reduced part count and simplicity. It means well, since it aims to be people's first printer/reprap, and its simplicity lends to that.

However since most of the cost of the printer is in the vitamins (hardware), and not the printed parts, it makes more sense to try to go for a full size printer for my project instead. Personally, I'm trying to get the whole printer assembled for about $600, which isn't that much more than a shipped printrbot.

I've started ordering parts and stuff, and I'll list out the prices and where I got them soon, from if it's alright to link to shops here..
storm88
post Mar 7 2012, 11:28 AM

~UncleSam Ready to Rolls~

good sharing
was looking for these equipment for so freakin long time
Newboxx
post Mar 17 2012, 12:14 PM

Interesting , looking forward on the final product.
OoiTY
post Mar 26 2012, 09:58 PM

Getting Started

Hey guys, sorry for not posting for a while.

I was trying to look for sources for Aluminium extrusions as well as leadscrews locally, without much success. Mitsumi Malaysia requires you to be a registered company to purchase from them, while another company that I asked quotes from was too pricey.

Tl;dr, I got everything overseas.

I promised I'd give you a list of shops and a breakdown of the prices and here they are;

Electronics; I got a Sanguinololu (with the FDTI pre-soldered) as well as a set of 4x Pololus from Emakershop - About USD$106.5

NEMA 17 Motors; Got a lot of 10 motors from China, which is perfect for two machines. Ebay link - USD$103.88

Hotend; J-Head MK IV, Lots of good reviews, and it looks pretty good! Got it here. - USD$54.99

Hardware; Aluminium extrusions, leadscrews and precision rods. Got these from mendelmax's store, it's hard to beat his price, even when you include shipping into the number. Mendelmax Store. - $325

Additional vitamins; One important vitamin that was out of stock from Mendelmax's store was the GT2 belt; I asked the site owner about this and he just can't keep it in stock; he had to take it down from the website because he was backordered too far. I put in an order for a length over here instead; Techpaladin's store. - $8

More vitamins; I also got a bunch of 608zz and linear bearings, as well as fans off ebay. Costed me about $60

Printed parts; I didn't have enough time to print all of the parts, so I found someone off the Reprap IRC channel to help me print out the rest -$45

Keep in mind, that the prices I listed above don't include shipping. Also, I'm buying parts to build two printers at once. With that in mind, the total cost for everything, with shipping included is USD$1123.24, which makes one printer $561.62. Pretty close to my estimated budget. smile.gif

Edit - I just realised, I ordered an extra leadscrew and other parts, which I included in that final price, so if we're talking strictly about these printers that I'm building here, it's slightly less than the total I listed by about $40-50 for both.

I've already received the electronics, I'll be taking pictures and posting a worklog of soldering the components and assembling the printer here soon!

This post has been edited by OoiTY: Mar 26 2012, 10:05 PM
storm88
post Mar 27 2012, 10:04 PM

what ya guys think about makerbot?

i found it's evolve from the Reprap resign and make their own one
Human10
post Apr 8 2012, 12:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(storm88 @ Mar 27 2012, 10:04 PM)
what ya guys think about makerbot?

i found it's evolve from the Reprap resign and make their own one
Keycaps making using thingiverse
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29898-C...-on-thingiverse

This post has been edited by Human10: Apr 8 2012, 12:12 AM
storm88
post Apr 8 2012, 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Human10 @ Apr 8 2012, 01:12 AM)
hey. thanks for info, thats helpful
zenix
post Apr 8 2012, 02:36 AM

Pirate Captain

i've been dreaming to get one of these babies since started watching benheck show drool.gif
voltro888
post Apr 8 2012, 07:39 AM

This look awesome. Where can I get one of these and how much does it cost?
gaban709
post Apr 8 2012, 11:23 AM

yes amaizing .. anyone had try this ?
stanleyshyeoh
post Apr 11 2012, 12:42 AM

On my way

OoiTty,

Reprap blog wrote about a developing project using UV cured photopolymer resin and DLP projector. Have you consider using this method to print 3D?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19185

http://code.google.com/p/lemoncurry/wiki/main
zenix
post Apr 22 2012, 03:10 AM

Pirate Captain

DLP projector!
Thats an idea! nod.gif
storm88
post Apr 22 2012, 09:55 AM

QUOTE(stanleyshyeoh @ Apr 11 2012, 01:42 AM)
OoiTty,

Reprap blog wrote about a developing project using UV cured photopolymer resin and DLP projector. Have you consider using this method to print 3D?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19185

http://code.google.com/p/lemoncurry/wiki/main
Thats a total different type of design for this.
It has very high resolution, and very detail "print out"...however its not printed, but something like a laser scaling concept.

Fullset inclusive the DLP projector cost 4k usd
blazinstreaks
post May 6 2012, 10:48 PM

I had attempted to build a RepStrap printer weeks ago using mainly locally available parts, except for the stepper motors (USA) and bearings (China). Total cost around RM700~RM800 (excluding the printing material).

It took me a few months to read up on the mechanical and electronic modifications since it's not from main Reprap branch. Still working out the programming kinks. The firmware isn't moving the motors properly as they should.

This post has been edited by blazinstreaks: May 6 2012, 11:11 PM
yougay
post May 6 2012, 11:47 PM

QUOTE(OoiTY @ Mar 26 2012, 09:58 PM)
Hey guys, sorry for not posting for a while.

I was trying to look for sources for Aluminium extrusions as well as leadscrews locally, without much success. Mitsumi Malaysia requires you to be a registered company to purchase from them, while another company that I asked quotes from was too pricey.

Tl;dr, I got everything overseas.
I  promised I'd give you a list of shops and a breakdown of the prices and here they are;
Electronics; I got a Sanguinololu (with the FDTI pre-soldered) as well as a set of 4x Pololus from Emakershop - About USD$106.5

NEMA 17 Motors; Got a lot of 10 motors from China, which is perfect for two machines. Ebay link - USD$103.88

Hotend; J-Head MK IV, Lots of good reviews, and it looks pretty good! Got it here. - USD$54.99

Hardware; Aluminium extrusions, leadscrews and precision rods. Got these from mendelmax's store, it's hard to beat his price, even when you include shipping into the number. Mendelmax Store. - $325

Additional vitamins; One important vitamin that was out of stock from Mendelmax's store was the GT2 belt; I asked the site owner about this and he just can't keep it in stock; he had to take it down from the website because he was backordered too far. I put in an order for a length over here instead; Techpaladin's store. - $8

More vitamins; I also got a bunch of 608zz and linear bearings, as well as fans off ebay. Costed me about $60

Printed parts; I didn't have enough time to print all of the parts, so I found someone off the Reprap IRC channel to help me print out the rest  -$45
Keep in mind, that the prices I listed above don't include shipping. Also, I'm buying parts to build two printers at once. With that in mind, the total cost for everything, with shipping included is USD$1123.24, which makes one printer $561.62. Pretty close to my estimated budget. smile.gif

Edit - I just realised, I ordered an extra leadscrew and other parts, which I included in that final price, so if we're talking strictly about these printers that I'm building here, it's slightly less than the total I listed by about $40-50 for both.
I've already received the electronics, I'll be taking pictures and posting a worklog of soldering the components and assembling the printer here soon!
kinda pricy
bukulima
post May 8 2012, 03:31 PM

Getting Started

i think they have freeware for this try google
nnq
post May 28 2012, 02:16 AM

Wow, i stumble to this thread while browsing the web for parts. I am building one (Mendelmax 1.5) and it is almost complete. You can source most of the hardware parts in Malaysia, even the aluminium extrusion. Saves a lot of money on shipping.

Anyway, it may look pricy, but its heck a lot of fun :-)

95 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0956sec    5.71    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 03:22 PM