Repraps and DIY 3D Printing!, Open source hardware~

views

ozak
post Nov 26 2017, 11:21 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Just got my CR-10S.

In the middle of setup and try run. But I guess the filament sample came with it is not sufficient for my addicting beginner now. tongue.gif

Where can I get a filament here in local ? Is there any different quality between seller/maker or the price ? Cheaper poorer quality ?

Anything should I look out to get the filament?

altan
post Nov 27 2017, 12:26 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 26 2017, 11:21 PM)
Just got my CR-10S.

In the middle of setup and try run. But I guess the filament sample came with it is not sufficient for my addicting beginner now.  tongue.gif

Where can I get a filament here in local ? Is there any different quality between seller/maker or the price ? Cheaper poorer quality ?

Anything should I look out to get the filament?
There are a few local filament suppliers but they source from China. I can share with you one that is good and he runs his own 3D printer so his filaments are reliable.

Besides that, I am planning to setup my own filament making facility for specialty colors. I got the kits from filastruder but don't have the space to set it up. I will be setting it up once I move into a new office space I am about to rent from a friend.

Just don't get filaments directly from China though they are cheap but the quality is very hit and miss. I would recommend buying from Singapore or Netherlands. I can sell some of my colorfabb PLA/PHA filament if you want since I bought a bulk of one color. Colorfabb PLA/PHA filaments are very resistant to our humid weather compared to pure PLA filaments.
ozak
post Nov 27 2017, 09:10 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(altan @ Nov 27 2017, 12:26 AM)
There are a few local filament suppliers but they source from China. I can share with you one that is good and he runs his own 3D printer so his filaments are reliable.

Besides that, I am planning to setup my own filament making facility for specialty colors. I got the kits from filastruder but don't have the space to set it up. I will be setting it up once I move into a new office space I am about to rent from a friend.

Just don't get filaments directly from China though they are cheap but the quality is very hit and miss. I would recommend buying from Singapore or Netherlands. I can sell some of my colorfabb PLA/PHA filament if you want since I bought a bulk of one color. Colorfabb PLA/PHA filaments are very resistant to our humid weather compared to pure PLA filaments.
Thanks for your recommend. You can PM me your filament price. I would like to check it from local 1st. As it is the closes community I can get help.

I see the filament extruder is not difficult to make. Require 3 item to make the filament. Extruder, cooling and coiling. Space probably 2-3 meter long ?

The rest is the skill to make it perfect how to maintain the diameter of the filament.
altan
post Nov 27 2017, 02:43 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 27 2017, 09:10 AM)
Thanks for your recommend. You can PM me your filament price. I would like to check it from local 1st. As it is the closes community I can get help.

I see the filament extruder is not difficult to make. Require 3 item to make the filament. Extruder, cooling and coiling. Space probably 2-3 meter long ?

The rest is the skill to make it perfect how to maintain the diameter of the filament.
PMed

The filament extruder is looks easy but getting the parts together is a big headache rclxub.gif

I will need a vertical space of up to 2 meters and horizontal space of 1 to 2 meters. I plan to build it vertically to save space and allow the filament to be drawn by gravity. I have already read most of the forum documentation and other filament maker blogs but I feel its still not enough to make perfect filaments with the kit I got.
Drian
post Dec 6 2017, 07:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(altan @ Nov 27 2017, 12:26 AM)

Wow on filament making, you're getting plastic pellets and making them into filament?

altan
post Dec 11 2017, 09:46 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(Drian @ Dec 6 2017, 07:37 PM)
Wow on filament making, you're getting plastic pellets and making them into filament?
Yup, that is basically it and at the same time I am looking into recycling PLA waste into filament or pellets.
transparent101
post Dec 13 2017, 11:17 AM

38 posts

Has anyone ever bought (going to buy) and original Prusa i3 M2s/MK3 from their official shop~?
Drian
post Dec 13 2017, 11:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Now I'm starting on making my own Delta printer.
300mm diameter bed based on the kossel XL design. Planning to house it in an ikea enclosure.

Planning to use high end components (magnetic ball joints and Force bed probing) to give it a more industrial reliability.
Using Duet Wifi 32 bit controller as the host.

My benchmark is my company's stratasys fortus machine.

Theorac
post Jan 22 2018, 11:27 PM

10 posts

Hi. Looking to get into this hobby.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a local company that ships in printers and supplies? or did you guys custom build / buy yours internationally?

From what I've seen, I'm looking to get a CR10S. Seems they have been able to keep up quality control and the printer has decent statistics?

Thanks!
altan
post Jan 23 2018, 01:12 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(Theorac @ Jan 22 2018, 11:27 PM)
Can anyone point me in the direction of a local company that ships in printers and supplies? or did you guys custom build / buy yours internationally?

From what I've seen, I'm looking to get a CR10S. Seems they have been able to keep up quality control and the printer has decent statistics?

Thanks!
I have been hearing mixed reviews from various sources on the internet about the CR10 but 3Dhubs gave it 2nd place in the budget printer category. https://www.3dhubs.com/best-3d-printer-guide

I know one user who got a CR10 like a month ago from a sale and so far he hasn't sent me his 3D printer for repairs yet. The only issue he had was some adhesion issue with the filament that came with the kit. One thing I want to highlight is the controller board for the CR10. Apparently they use a modified Melzi board so trying to source that locally may be difficult.

Regarding buying a 3D printer, there are a few companies in Malaysia that sells proprietary 3D printers if you just google them. Do note that buying a proprietary 3D printer limits your use to their software, hardware, and support. On the other hand, open source 3D printer gives you more option in choosing the software and sourcing for hardware is much easier. Getting support for these printers depends on the community built around the particular 3D printer. Also it makes it easy to repair if you have the know how.

If you are into 3D printers as a fun hobby I would suggest getting a basic 3D printer (a small one) at an affordable price tag and just go with that. From my experience, any printer you get will eventually breakdown at some point in time.

Just my 2 cents.
ozak
post Jan 23 2018, 03:30 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Theorac @ Jan 22 2018, 11:27 PM)

Thanks!
I think mostly buy it rather build.

I m using CR10S. Now running 7/11 to print some tray organizer. Also see how reliable the machine.

Not that top quality. But no problem with print. You have to setup properly and fine tune it.

Like the glass bed that come together is not flat. It curve in in the middle. That cause the bed align to be tricky and difficult. To solve it, I use the Ikea mirror.

Software have bug and sometime hang. Just this morning when continue print another set, it hang at the heating bed. Nothing major. Just off it and on it back to reset.

They still need to fine tune the the UI and solve some bug. Hope some firmware upgrade.

Price are good during sales.
Theorac
post Jan 23 2018, 07:40 PM

10 posts

I was originally looking into fully built printers like the Monoprice mini since they tend to be tested before shipping but kept running across the CR10 and others like Tevo getting mentioned.
Found this shop (http://3dgadgets.my) but they dont seem to be bothered to reply to my email. Guess I'll look around more.

What do you guys consider as the acceptable average price or 1kg spools of non exotic color PLA?
altan
post Jan 23 2018, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(Theorac @ Jan 23 2018, 07:40 PM)
I was originally looking into fully built printers like the Monoprice mini since they tend to be tested before shipping but kept running across the CR10 and others like Tevo getting mentioned.
Found this shop (http://3dgadgets.my) but they dont seem to be bothered to reply to my email. Guess I'll look around more.

What do you guys consider as the acceptable average price or 1kg spools of non exotic color PLA?
I repaired one Tevo Tarantula before and the issue was the thermistor was faulty and results in a burnt out heater cartridge and clogged nozzle. From my opinion, I think the plastic surface on the heater bed is a silly idea. Good initial adhesion at first layer but it makes removing prints a little difficult. Also, difficult to source for a replacement after scratching it up.

If you are looking for high quality filaments, I sell Qwikfab PLA filaments. From my 3 years of use, I never had any issues with my 3D printer and all my prints turn out really well. They have pretty strict QC for their filaments so you can expect the filament diameter and color batching to be very consistent. One example is the color white in cheap china filaments will have light greyish or reddish undertones. The Qwikfab white PLA filaments is solid white with no funny hues or undertones.

You can check out their website http://web.qwikfab.com/ or you can place an order with me since I have a partnership with them in selling their filaments. If you want I can send you some samples of Qwikfab Q-PLA filaments in a variety of colors. Just PM if you are interested or see my signature below.
altan
post Jan 24 2018, 02:08 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

Hey all,

I recently uploaded a design to Thingiverse for a simple rubber band gun (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2767254) and I need some feedback regarding the design.

You can help by test printing the rubber band gun on your machine and also provide feedback regarding the design and your printing experience.

If you have a Thingiverse account, feel free to post some makes or remixes as well.

I appreciate your time and feedback regarding this thing.

Drillz and YouTube video in the spoiler.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by altan: Jan 24 2018, 02:09 PM
ozak
post Jan 25 2018, 10:33 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Theorac @ Jan 23 2018, 07:40 PM)

If you require support, better get the CR10s. Creality.com have better support. And 1yrs warranty for the printer.

The size of printing for CR10s is larger and you able to print bigger size thing. It is bang for the buck for the printer size. That's why it sell hot.

Printing material is depend on what quality you want and the part cost.
ozak
post Jan 25 2018, 10:40 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Yesterday face a problem where the storm lightning cause the house power a short trip.

That cause my printing half way stop. Have to reset everything. Waste the time and material. sad.gif

So advise to get a UPS for backup incase power trip. But the backup time must be long enough for you to get back and resume the power back to your house.
altan
post Jan 25 2018, 12:27 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 25 2018, 10:40 AM)
Yesterday face a problem where the storm lightning cause the house power a short trip.

That cause my printing half way stop. Have to reset everything. Waste the time and material.  sad.gif

So advise to get a UPS for backup incase power trip. But the backup time must be long enough for you to get back and resume the power back to your house.
I had all my 3D printers UPS proofed years ago. Normally a brand new 800 watts (volt-amp, VA) can last about 2 hours for a 300 watt power supply. To get the time, you just take UPS capacity in watts and divide by your PSU input power consumption in watts. Do note that UPS batteries wears out over time, so it is advised to test its capacity once in a blue moon.
ozak
post Jan 25 2018, 03:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(altan @ Jan 25 2018, 12:27 PM)
I had all my 3D printers UPS proofed years ago. Normally a brand new 800 watts (volt-amp, VA) can last about 2 hours for a 300 watt power supply. To get the time, you just take UPS capacity in watts and divide by your PSU input power consumption in watts. Do note that UPS batteries wears out over time, so it is advised to test its capacity once in a blue moon.
Ya, sometime such thing only realize when using. And neglect it when I know it will happen. Just gamble on it.

Now thinking how to modify it to run on battery (some sort of UPS). I need to swap the power supply out and add in a dc-dc converter.

I have a UPS backup on network and battery offline for others device.
konspiracy
post Jan 26 2018, 10:22 PM

On my way
641 posts

Hey ya'll. Wanna ask, those who has a CR-10S, where did you order your printer from? I'm interested in getting one
ozak
post Jan 26 2018, 10:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(konspiracy @ Jan 26 2018, 10:22 PM)
Hey ya'll. Wanna ask, those who has a CR-10S, where did you order your printer from? I'm interested in getting one
I get it from aliexpress. Look for crearilty official site.

97 Pages « < 90 91 92 93 94 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0496sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:02 PM