Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

>>Malaysia ThinkPad User Community<<, Post Pics of your Setup & Discussion

views

BeastX
post Jul 16 2020, 10:03 AM

Genomics Revolution; Proud to be a Scientist
5,774 posts

QUOTE(prem182 @ Jul 16 2020, 01:38 AM)
Last week i bought an e495 because it supports up to 32gb memory n price was good. However that came with aHD TN display.  Staring at it for 15 minutes itself i feel my eyes are painful. Any suggestion please?
You could switch out the panel yourself.... higher-end panels even w 100% sRGB....are available on aliexpress for example... search for 14" Thinkpads panels with the correct number of pin... I don't think you can go 4k, touch support definitely not...

This post has been edited by BeastX: Jul 16 2020, 10:32 AM
prem182
post Jul 18 2020, 12:43 AM

Casual
461 posts

QUOTE(BeastX @ Jul 16 2020, 10:03 AM)
You could switch out the panel yourself.... higher-end panels even w 100% sRGB....are available on aliexpress for example... search for 14" Thinkpads panels with the correct number of pin... I don't think you can go 4k, touch support definitely not...
Do you know anyone who provides this service?
danielx90
post Jul 25 2020, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

user posted image

something off here..hahaha
jkelol111
post Jul 28 2020, 03:20 PM

9 posts

Hello LowYat ThinkPad community,

I placed an order for a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 last Thursday morning (23/7/2020), since the price with coupon is good enough. At the payment screen, I used my dad's UOB debit Mastercard, The Mastercard 3DSecure OTP code for the full value was requested, and I inputted successfully and order was placed. Then a while later my dad got SMS for RM159.8 (The 3 year warranty add on with the laptop), but no charge for laptop, so I checked the OVP tracking thing and it says there is a credit issue with the order, along with the seapayments@lenovo.com email. Turns out my dad's debit card is capped at RM 2000 by default, and he went to UOB to increase it, they said last Friday or this Monday the limit would be increased.

This Monday (27/7/2020), I called the support hotline, representative told me that in this situation, they will cancel the order, and I place a new one. No big deal I thought, so today (Tuesday), just like they said, order was cancelled, and the RM 159.8 they apparently charged will be refunded within 3-4 weeks (will have to check on that).

So I then made another order, and once again, they charged my dad's debit card for the warranty (this time RM 400-something because I added the accidental protection thing to the 3 years warranty upgrade), but did not for the laptop, and again, credit issue on the new order's OVP page. My dad said no call from bank, so I emailed mycs@lenovo.com and they replied, saying they would ping the seapayments team (no reply from them yet).

Any clues from past experience? If this goes on, I think I will just go for Dell XPS 15 as college intake is coming soon and I need a laptop.
BeastX
post Jul 29 2020, 07:30 AM

5,774 posts

QUOTE(jkelol111 @ Jul 28 2020, 03:20 PM)
Hello LowYat ThinkPad community,

I placed an order for a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 last Thursday morning (23/7/2020), since the price with coupon is good enough. At the payment screen, I used my dad's UOB debit Mastercard, The Mastercard 3DSecure OTP code for the full value was requested, and I inputted successfully and order was placed. Then a while later my dad got SMS for RM159.8 (The 3 year warranty add on with the laptop), but no charge for laptop, so I checked the OVP tracking thing and it says there is a credit issue with the order, along with the seapayments@lenovo.com email. Turns out my dad's debit card is capped at RM 2000 by default, and he went to UOB to increase it, they said last Friday or this Monday the limit would be increased.

This Monday (27/7/2020), I called the support hotline, representative told me that in this situation, they will cancel the order, and I place a new one. No big deal I thought, so today (Tuesday), just like they said, order was cancelled, and the RM 159.8 they apparently charged will be refunded within 3-4 weeks (will have to check on that).

So I then made another order, and once again, they charged my dad's debit card for the warranty (this time RM 400-something because I added the accidental protection thing to the 3 years warranty upgrade), but did not for the laptop, and again, credit issue on the new order's OVP page. My dad said no call from bank, so I emailed mycs@lenovo.com and they replied, saying they would ping the seapayments team (no reply from them yet).

Any clues from past experience? If this goes on, I think I will just go for Dell XPS 15 as college intake is coming soon and I need a laptop.
The standard practice at least w CC....is they would charge the warranty and accessories first (the ones that are ready to ship)....They would later charge your card when the laptop is ship....

This will be reflected in your online account, if/when you register.... Example: My one laptop purchase has 4 separate transactions....

Also ensure you have 3x the amount on your debit card account.... apparently it's an issue using debit c.

This post has been edited by BeastX: Jul 29 2020, 08:20 AM
jkelol111
post Jul 29 2020, 08:31 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(BeastX @ Jul 29 2020, 07:30 AM)
The standard practice at least w CC....is they would charge the warranty and accessories first (the ones that are ready to ship)....They would later charge your card when the laptop is ship....

This will be reflected in your online account, if/when you register.... Example: My one laptop purchase has 4 separate transactions....

Also ensure you have 3x the amount on your debit card account.... apparently it's an issue using debit c.
Thanks for the reply...thing is, the seapayments person (Priyanka) replied and they just said the payment was declined for some reason. Again, no call from bank, apparently RM 400 was only deducted for the warranty, even when on their order page, they requested for the entire amount (laptop + warranty)? I will call them later this morning then, might as well cancel it if they can't do anything about it and I can go to a physical store and get the laptop instead, then upgrade myself.

Just one more question though, since I used a debit, how will the refund for the warranty they charged work? If I understand they are just holds, and the money should come back within a few weeks? Or did Lenovo actually take the money and they have to refund me? I see a couple Lenovo Forums threads mentioning that for debit they actually take the money and not just a hold.

BeastX
post Jul 29 2020, 08:54 AM

5,774 posts

QUOTE(jkelol111 @ Jul 29 2020, 08:31 AM)
Thanks for the reply...thing is, the seapayments person (Priyanka) replied and they just said the payment was declined for some reason. Again, no call from bank, apparently RM 400 was only deducted for the warranty, even when on their order page, they requested for the entire amount (laptop + warranty)? I will call them later this morning then, might as well cancel it if they can't do anything about it and I can go to a physical store and get the laptop instead, then upgrade myself.

Just one more question though, since I used a debit, how will the refund for the warranty they charged work? If I understand they are just holds, and the money should come back within a few weeks? Or did Lenovo actually take the money and they have to refund me? I see a couple Lenovo Forums threads mentioning that for debit they actually take the money and not just a hold.
I'd not know... but refunding back to your account should not be an issue....
mitodna
post Jul 29 2020, 06:20 PM

Getting Started
All Stars
14,033 posts

QUOTE(jkelol111 @ Jul 29 2020, 08:31 AM)

you better call the bank if you intend to cancel, to check if can claw back from it or not, please get some proof that the order is cancel for the bank

I know it is a stupid advise to apply CC just to buy a laptop from Lenovo, but I think better try to see which CC has 0 annual fees and try to apply, Malaysian CC quite cheap to maintain, some only need to pay RM25 SST per year without any spending requirement
ptewee
post Jul 29 2020, 10:27 PM

Casual
300 posts

QUOTE(danielx90 @ Jul 25 2020, 04:24 PM)
user posted image

something off here..hahaha
Well I just noticed this today and placed an order... brows.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

This post has been edited by ptewee: Jul 29 2020, 10:28 PM
jkelol111
post Aug 4 2020, 02:02 PM

9 posts

Just got a X1 Carbon Gen 7 from the Lenovo Low Yat store a few days ago. Quite overpriced, but it came with the 3 years Accidental Warranty and a couple 'freebies' (ThinkPad Ethernet Extension, HDMI to VGA and a ThinkPad backpack) already so eh...maybe still expensive but at least I have the laptop. Almost everything about this is good, from the display to the keyboard (since my previous HP which I have been using for 3 years is just falling apart, the hinge is shot, and HP themselves refused to fix it, so had to go for repair outside).

That said, it seems like my F8 key is 'sunken' compared to the other keys. It's noticeably sloped downward and not on par with the other keys (it's more wobbly, and the 'sinking' looks quite obvious first hand). I have created an eTicket for on-site service, yesterday, the Lenovo repair guy called me, set a 10am appointment for Wednesday.

It is my first time using on-site, what should I look out for?

user posted image
jkelol111
post Aug 5 2020, 07:26 PM

9 posts

Alright, my keyboard is fixed, now the F8 key is level with everything else as expected. The repairman seemed like he has never worked with an X1 Carbon before, it took him a while to take everything apart, and had to take out the motherboard once again to insert the top speakers in correctly. I'm not even sure he had placed the correct screws into the correct holes, and plugged the bottom speaker into the wrong port (I read the HMM before already), so I had to take apart my laptop again to plug it into the correct port (I hope that misplacement didn't damage anything serious, the laptop beeped a few times while he powered it on after the repair, he left before I found out the bottom speakers weren't working). Now everything is working fine.

Maybe I will to service center next time.
ptewee
post Aug 7 2020, 07:58 PM

Casual
300 posts

QUOTE(ptewee @ Jul 29 2020, 10:27 PM)
Well I just noticed this today and placed an order...  brows.gif

Well, it arrived

The 'offer' is still going on at the website right now

This post has been edited by ptewee: Aug 7 2020, 07:59 PM
acbc
post Aug 7 2020, 08:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

I'm in the process of restoring an old T540P.

Bought the T540P for cheap due to a faulty motherboard.

Also bought several replacement parts from AliExpress and Shopee.

The following parts are.

1. T540P bottom base, Shopee RM 80
2. T540P motherboard, AliExpress RM 200
3. Patriot 240GB SSD, LYN RM 150
4. WD 1TB HDD, LYN 100
5. DDR3L RAM 16GB, AliExpress RM 200
6. T540P base feet, Shopee RM 15
7. T540P DVD to HDD caddy, Shopee RM 30
8. T540P screws, Shopee RM 13
9. Sierra 4G modem, FOC taken from an old ThinkPad 8 tablet

I think that's about it. Will start the teardown and assembly next week when I'm free.

This post has been edited by acbc: Aug 7 2020, 08:11 PM
jkelol111
post Aug 7 2020, 09:56 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(ptewee @ Aug 7 2020, 07:58 PM)
Well, it arrived

The 'offer' is still going on at the website right now
I got an promo email from Lenovo showing this 'offer'...it seems intentional after all. Also they sort of confirmed a T14 Ryzen 7 variant for Malaysia...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
ZM Fong
post Aug 26 2020, 03:13 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(eatsleepcheong @ Aug 26 2020, 02:52 PM)
Hello seniors notworthy.gif

i am interested in between these two...
T14s and Thinkpad X13

i like both these unit because:
- 1.3kg
- small footprint (thin! at around 16mm)
- ryzen
- doesn't cost a arm & a kidney
- legendary keyboard
- black

both also AMD but i see they don't provide 100% SRGB and if i do light image editing , would this be affected?

and is the extra inch on T14s worth the size trade of X13 even when both weight the same hmmmmm...
X13 FHD panel is high sRGB. Uses slightly better materials, smaller in dimensions and slightly ligher

T14 250nits/300nits FHD panel is low sRGB. Has an upgradeable RAM slot and slightly better CPU performance (22w vs 18w)

It really depends on what are your priorities.
eveready
post Aug 27 2020, 01:32 AM

Getting Started
232 posts

QUOTE(eatsleepcheong @ Aug 26 2020, 02:52 PM)
Hello seniors notworthy.gif

i am interested in between these two...
T14s and Thinkpad X13

i like both these unit because:
- 1.3kg
- small footprint (thin! at around 16mm)
- ryzen
- doesn't cost a arm & a kidney
- legendary keyboard
- black

both also AMD but i see they don't provide 100% SRGB and if i do light image editing , would this be affected?

and is the extra inch on T14s worth the size trade of X13 even when both weight the same hmmmmm...
Unless you want to consider replacing with low powered 400 nits display
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-s-Pane...s.426538.0.html

ClericKilla
post Aug 27 2020, 01:39 AM

Regular
1,778 posts

My first time on Lenovo Thinkpad webpage, so many choices.

I'm thinking to purchase one to separate between business and personal laptop. I am currently using a 2019 15" mbp equipped with i7 6 core and 16gb of ram radeon 555x

If you were to recommend me a similar thinkpad to mine above what would it be?

I would appreciate all comments and help to my query. Usually only running on excel doing financial analysis and opening about 10-20 word files. On Mac It's showing 13gb ram used everytime... so all helps would be appreciated.
mercindustries
post Aug 27 2020, 10:27 AM

Getting Started
148 posts

Ordered a T14 last weekend. How long does it usually take before you get the machine (mine says arriving 2 months from now at mid October) rclxub.gif
ZM Fong
post Aug 27 2020, 11:46 AM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(ClericKilla @ Aug 27 2020, 01:39 AM)
My first time on Lenovo Thinkpad webpage, so many choices.

I'm thinking to purchase one to separate between business and personal laptop. I am currently using a 2019 15" mbp equipped with i7 6 core and 16gb of ram radeon 555x

If you were to recommend me a similar thinkpad to mine above what would it be?

I would appreciate all comments and help to my query. Usually only running on excel doing financial analysis and opening about 10-20 word files. On Mac It's showing 13gb ram used everytime... so all helps would be appreciated.
T14/T14s/X13 AMD with 16GB RAM. If you're getting T14/T14s, suggest taking the 400nits panel option (if there is) for better colour accuracy

If prefer dGPU, P14s/P15s/T14/T15
ClericKilla
post Aug 27 2020, 12:33 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Aug 27 2020, 11:46 AM)
T14/T14s/X13 AMD with 16GB RAM. If you're getting T14/T14s, suggest taking the 400nits panel option (if there is) for better colour accuracy

If prefer dGPU, P14s/P15s/T14/T15
I see based on your recommendation you're suggesting for AMD processor..

T14 / 14s inclined towards using Ryzen 5 6cores. Are they reliable as compared to Intel?

Regarding 400 nits, no such option for the T14 Gen 1 when customised, but yes I do appreciate for a fine quality of display. icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by ClericKilla: Aug 27 2020, 12:38 PM

234 Pages « < 228 229 230 231 232 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0411sec    0.67    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:32 PM