Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

171 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

views

rowreige4869
post Mar 28 2011, 08:06 PM

16 posts

which university i should apply to get diploma in architecture? UTM or UiTM. my friend suggest i take UiTM. but as to my research there is no diploma in architecture in UiTM only in UTM and UIAM. I really want to be architect but i don't know where to start. which are the university that can help me pursuing my dream. and i a bit worried about the interview. i have kind talent in drawing but not as good as other who learn art and design in teknik school. help me please!! let me know when the time you online. i want to add you in ym. if you can add me that really helpful. my ym is "rowreige4869@yahoo.com" rclxub.gif rclxub.gif rclxub.gif
TSazarimy
post Mar 29 2011, 10:41 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(yen2009 @ Mar 26 2011, 11:00 PM)
I see, cause people are telling me that going for Laila then Bachelor in peninsular university may disrupt my path.

And since you said the basics would be covered in the early years so I may be taking a safer path which is STPM. smile.gif
it wont disrupt ur path, but might make it harder.

Added on March 29, 2011, 10:46 am
QUOTE(rowreige4869 @ Mar 28 2011, 12:06 PM)
which university i should apply to get diploma in architecture? UTM or UiTM. my friend suggest i take UiTM. but as to my research there is no diploma in architecture in UiTM only in UTM and UIAM. I really want to be architect but i don't know where to start. which are the university that can help me pursuing my dream. and i a bit worried about the interview. i have kind talent in drawing but not as good as other who learn art and design in teknik school. help me please!! let me know when the time you online. i want to add you in ym. if you can add me that really helpful. my ym is "rowreige4869@yahoo.com"  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
as i've mentioned earlier, UiTM do not offer diploma anymore, and neither do UIAM. i'm only aware UIAM offering foundation, but not diploma. and there's a big difference between those two.

and i dont do YM or any messengers anymore. better use the forums as i can get online as i please to answer ur questions, rather than stuck in front of a PC waiting for people to come in for a chat wink.gif. i'm paid by the hour u know, time is precious tongue.gif.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Mar 29 2011, 10:46 AM
tehtmc
post Mar 29 2011, 12:35 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

i'm paid by the hour u know, time is precious

Just curious...what is the rate like? wink.gif tongue.gif

It seems SPM leavers are inclined to go for foundation and diploma route rather the tradional pre-U/STPM route. Easier route you reckon?

I'd think STPM is more intellectually challenging, having been time-tested for decades.

This post has been edited by tehtmc: Mar 29 2011, 12:40 PM
youhesh
post Mar 29 2011, 03:28 PM

11 posts

i recently just went to UTM Skudai for the jom masuk u booths in pesta konvo . and i did get a pamplet of Fakulti Alam Bina . when i tried to apply in the upu form , it did say something about passing an interview . so do i need to attend the interview and pass it in order to study architecture in UTM ?

i think it'll be easier for me to study there since my sis and bro are studying engineering in that same u . btw , i was studying in science stream . i never took arts or LKJ . so im not pretty sure if im really qualified and have what it takes to study architecture . i decide on architecture because i like to draw . well , i've never drawn any buildings btw . -__-''

and after taking the personality test , the counselor mentioned that im quite the artistic type . so i figured out maybe architecture is a good choice . but my results not that good . and is it hard studying in the architecture stream ? because none in my family is an architect or took architecture before .

TQ .
Fern0922
post Mar 29 2011, 05:57 PM

10 posts

Hi guys, I'm currently taking Bachelor of Landscape Architecture. Want to ask a question, French and German, which language is easier and more useful in landscape architecture field? Thanks!
TSazarimy
post Mar 29 2011, 07:43 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Mar 29 2011, 04:35 AM)
Just curious...what is the rate like?  wink.gif tongue.gif

It seems SPM leavers are inclined to go for foundation and diploma route rather the tradional  pre-U/STPM route.  Easier route you reckon?

I'd think STPM is more intellectually challenging, having been time-tested for decades.
about RM25 per hour only (gomen rate). but if we're invited to give lectures outside the university etc, the fee is RM200 per hour. unfortunately we dont get invited alot. yet... wink.gif

this year it seems people are so inclined to get their hands dirty. remember a couple of years back people are all going for degree straight away? i dont understand these kids lol. or perhaps it's bcoz SPM results just came out. is STPM out yet?

i'm always recommending STPM. no argument there.

QUOTE(youhesh @ Mar 29 2011, 07:28 AM)
i recently just went to UTM Skudai for the jom masuk u booths in pesta konvo . and i did get a pamplet of Fakulti Alam Bina . when i tried to apply in the upu form , it did say something about passing an interview . so do i need to attend the interview and pass it in order to study architecture in UTM ?

i think it'll be easier for me to study there since my sis and bro are studying engineering in that same u . btw , i was studying in science stream . i never took arts or LKJ . so im not pretty sure if im really qualified and have what it takes to study architecture . i decide on architecture because i like to draw . well , i've never drawn any buildings btw . -__-''

and after taking the personality test , the counselor mentioned that im quite the artistic type . so i figured out maybe architecture is a good choice . but my results not that good . and is it hard studying in the architecture stream ? because none in my family is an architect or took architecture before .

TQ .
yes, u would need to pass the interview. it's been that way since UTM first started.

art or LK is not a requirement for application. but we do require that u have the ability and interest to draw. btw, during the visit, didnt the officer point u to FAB? bcoz i could've convince u better, as i was incharge at the main exhibition for the faculty, particularly with all the sample works being exhibited.

architecture might be hard at first, but it'll get harder as u go along lol. but it's not as hard as medicine or law. so no worries.

QUOTE(Fern0922 @ Mar 29 2011, 09:57 AM)
Hi guys, I'm currently taking Bachelor of Landscape Architecture. Want to ask a question, French and German, which language is easier and more useful in landscape architecture field? Thanks!
do u plan to go to germany or france? coz if u're not, i would say mandarin is better.
rowreige4869
post Mar 29 2011, 07:56 PM

16 posts

where and when will the interview conduct by UTM for diploma in architecture? for 2011^^

This post has been edited by rowreige4869: Mar 29 2011, 07:56 PM
TSazarimy
post Mar 29 2011, 08:29 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(rowreige4869 @ Mar 29 2011, 11:56 AM)
where and when will the interview conduct by UTM for diploma in architecture? for 2011^^
i dont know. the schedule is not out yet.
yen2009
post Mar 29 2011, 08:54 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Mar 29 2011, 12:35 PM)
It seems SPM leavers are inclined to go for foundation and diploma route rather the tradional  pre-U/STPM route.  Easier route you reckon?

I did incline myself towards Diploma as few posts ago, finally I chose STPM.
Basically I got reminded that more practices (Diploma) is always better than education (STPM) since Architecture is a skill practicing job.

Seriously when I go to bookstores these few days reading STPM references, I almost forgot my route is to be an Architect rather than Pharmacist / Doctor (I am Science stream, so yea Chemistry and so on)
TSazarimy
post Mar 29 2011, 09:14 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

just so u know, taking UTM diploma is almost a surefire way to gain a place in UTM degree. for the past few years, the intake from UTM diploma is about 90% (between 25-30 students). the other 10% went elsewhere, usually overseas. all u need is a 3.00 minimum.

so if u're already set for an architectural degree, perhaps diploma is a good way to go. most of my colleagues' children went that way anyways. i dont think a single one of them went to STPM.

but the choice is still urs, of course.
youhesh
post Mar 29 2011, 11:12 PM

11 posts

err . they just point me to some pamplets . so in just took them lol .

about the interview . we're required to draw isnt it ? my friend told me that . is there any other tips about what might be interviewed/asked in the interview session ? i've never been to an interview before . -___-''

im actually confused . i think im interested in architecture but i am not confident enough to study in this course . as i was studying in the science stream , none of my study involves drawing and such . and all i've ever drawn are cartoons . tongue.gif

my dad said it doesnt matter as long as i have the creativity and imagination . icon_rolleyes.gif

TQ .
TSazarimy
post Mar 30 2011, 12:22 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(youhesh @ Mar 29 2011, 03:12 PM)
err . they just point me to some pamplets . so in just took them lol .

about the interview . we're required to draw isnt it ? my friend told me that . is there any other tips about what might be interviewed/asked in the interview session ? i've never been to an interview before . -___-''

im actually confused . i think im interested in architecture but i am not confident enough to study in this course . as i was studying in the science stream , none of my study involves drawing and such . and all i've ever drawn are cartoons .  tongue.gif

my dad said it doesnt matter as long as i have the creativity and imagination .  icon_rolleyes.gif

TQ .
i cant tell u more than what have already been shared. but it's good to be confident and strong, but remember not to be too cocky and arrogant.

and listen to ur dad. it doesnt matter. a lot of other people doing architecture are from science stream and did not take arts (formally) before.
rowreige4869
post Mar 30 2011, 12:48 AM

16 posts

if i want to apply UTM for the diploma in architecture. what should i do in UPU forms. from resources it better to apply the university you wanted the most in the first place. and in other number like 2 to 8. you just feel where you university you like. is it true? hmm.gif
post Mar 30 2011, 12:48 AM

6 posts

Dear Azarimy,
Nice to meet you. May I know how to address you?
I have been reading this thread (version 2 and version 3) since last year December. Thank you for providing so many informations about architecture education.
I have applied for diploma in architecture in utm.
For spm, i got 8A+ 2A and 1B+... I wonder whether i have the chance to get into this diploma course.
Besides, may I know how to get to study in overseas university?(with scholarship) (eg, Bartlett, AA, cambridge and oxford)
Thank you.

Best Regards

TSazarimy
post Mar 30 2011, 09:18 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(rowreige4869 @ Mar 29 2011, 04:48 PM)
if i want to apply UTM for the diploma in architecture. what should i do in UPU forms. from resources it better to apply the university you wanted the most in the first place. and in other number like 2 to 8. you just feel where you university you like. is it true?  hmm.gif
well, u should alternatively apply to other courses/universities that might interest u, just in case. for example, apart from diploma, u should also look for UIAM foundation (in architecture) or UiTM degree (4 years). or perhaps diploma in landscape architecture or even town planning. these certificates can eventually lead u to an architectural degree (part 2) in UTM, or even other IPTAs as well.

so better use all the choices that would lead towards an architectural degree rather than relying on one lucky try.

QUOTE(5050 @ Mar 29 2011, 04:48 PM)
Dear Azarimy,
  Nice to meet you. May I know how to address you?
  I have been reading this thread (version 2 and version 3) since last year December. Thank you for providing so many informations about architecture education.
  I have applied for diploma in architecture in utm.
  For spm, i got 8A+ 2A and 1B+... I wonder whether i have the chance to get into this diploma course.
  Besides, may I know how to get to study in overseas university?(with scholarship) (eg, Bartlett, AA, cambridge and oxford)
  Thank you.

Best Regards
azarimy is my internet handle. u may address me as u wish or give me whatever respect u think i deserve (not what other people tell u to).

on paper, it looks good. but it will depend mostly on who u're competing with this year, and how well u do during the interviews. u must understand, amongst 5A+ students, the 6A+ wins. but he will lose out amongst the 7A+. it's a supply and demand thing. so dont assume bcoz last year a 3A student got in, u will this year, and vice versa.

in order to apply to overseas universities, u will need an A-levels or STPM. then with the results, u may apply to those universities through UCAS (UK equivalent of UPU). after receiving an offer, u can apply to any scholarships (for example JPA), and upon award, u can proceed to the school in the UK. that's more or less the gist of it.
rowreige4869
post Mar 30 2011, 10:30 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Mar 30 2011, 09:18 AM)
well, u should alternatively apply to other courses/universities that might interest u, just in case. for example, apart from diploma, u should also look for UIAM foundation (in architecture) or UiTM degree (4 years). or perhaps diploma in landscape architecture or even town planning. these certificates can eventually lead u to an architectural degree (part 2) in UTM, or even other IPTAs as well.

so better use all the choices that would lead towards an architectural degree rather than relying on one lucky try.
oh, thanks 4 the info. i kind of confused which diploma courses to choose on, so i can take up degree in architecture. thumbup.gif

i hope my spm result will not stop me from getting into any university.
tamizy
post Mar 31 2011, 05:56 PM

4 posts

Any one think about Study Architecture in Germany , it is free !!! They got a lot of Uni which is offer architecture subject with world class standard.
My wife graduated there. For those who interested to study there this Info Club will help :

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116471545034767&v=wall

TSazarimy
post Apr 1 2011, 05:13 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

UTM diploma will be calling shortlisted candidates for the interview on 15-17 april 2011. if u're applying UTM diploma, expect the letter coming your way beginning middle of next week. if u havent received any letter by 12, give UTM (unit kemasukan dan rekod) a call.

i will be interviewing. see u there!
fiddle
post Apr 1 2011, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

hi there.
what are the differences between architecture and quantity surveying?
tehtmc
post Apr 1 2011, 09:40 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(fiddle @ Apr 1 2011, 07:29 PM)
hi there.
what are the differences between architecture and quantity surveying?
Architecture - QSing

creative - non-creative
designer - accountant
drawings - figures
design & construction - costs & payments
lead role - secondary role
lead consultant - sub-consultant
artistic,intuitive - methodical, routine
greater involvement - lesser involvement
heavy responsibility/liability - lesser responsibility/liability
highly paid - no-as-highly paid (i.e. as a business)
one of the oldest professions - relatively new profession

Is the question for your own knowledge or for an assignment? wink.gif

Incidentally, do you know....
The word 'architect' is derived from the Greek word 'arkhitekton', arki - chief teckton - builder

Building projects, especially smaller ones, can be done without a Q.S.

This post has been edited by tehtmc: Apr 1 2011, 10:05 PM

171 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM