Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

171 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

views

prophetjul
post Mar 23 2011, 12:16 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,569 posts

Whats the universities' general requiremnt for A levels for architecture?
yen2009
post Mar 23 2011, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

Hi I got myself stuck with translation of Malay language while choosing Architecture program.

For Architecture, is it "Senibina, Perancangan Dan Ukur" or "Seni Lukis Dan Seni Reka"?

Cause "Kejuruteraan" is engineering right?

EDIT: For the Path 1 of your "4.0. Common Paths to Studying Architecture", does the Foundation means the foundation offered by the certain university? Cause I recently found that IPTA actually offers Foundation program.

This post has been edited by yen2009: Mar 23 2011, 10:03 PM
Bonetoad
post Mar 23 2011, 11:31 PM

Getting Started
158 posts

QUOTE(yen2009 @ Mar 23 2011, 09:58 PM)
Hi I got myself stuck with translation of Malay language while choosing Architecture program.

For Architecture, is it "Senibina, Perancangan Dan Ukur" or "Seni Lukis Dan Seni Reka"?

Cause "Kejuruteraan" is engineering right?

EDIT: For the Path 1 of your "4.0. Common Paths to Studying Architecture", does the Foundation means the foundation offered by the certain university? Cause I recently found that IPTA actually offers Foundation program.
I'm not 100% sure, but I do think this is what it means:

Seni Bina - Architecture
Perancangan dan ukur - Planning and Surveying/Measuring
Seni Lukis - Illustration
Seni Reka - Design

If Seni Lukis & Seni Reka in 1 sentence then it means - Arts & Design

This post has been edited by Bonetoad: Mar 23 2011, 11:33 PM
TSazarimy
post Mar 24 2011, 12:13 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Bonetoad @ Mar 23 2011, 03:31 PM)
I'm not 100% sure, but I do think this is what it means:

Seni Bina - Architecture
Perancangan dan ukur - Planning and Surveying/Measuring
Seni Lukis - Illustration
Seni Reka - Design

If Seni Lukis & Seni Reka in 1 sentence then it means - Arts & Design
that's spot on.

and to answer the new question, yes, it means university specific foundation programme. some IPTAs have started to offer foundation programmes, but i've not seen anyone successfully applied to an IPTA using a foundation from a different one. meaning UIAM's foundation is only valid for studies in UIAM, UM's for UM, UiTM for UiTM and so on.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Mar 24 2011, 12:16 AM
yansheng91
post Mar 24 2011, 12:36 AM

15 posts

DEAR SIR ,

I HAVE FEW QUESTION TO ASK .

1) Does the diploma in architecture UTM offered by the kolej shahputra is genuinely from UTM ?

2) AFTER I GRADUATED FROM THE DIPLOMA IN ARCHITECTURE IN THIS KOLEJ , COULD I CONTINUE MY DEGREE IN ARCHITECTURE IN UTM ?

THE DIPLOMA COURSE IS 3 YEARS .
TSazarimy
post Mar 24 2011, 12:24 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(yansheng91 @ Mar 23 2011, 04:36 PM)
DEAR SIR ,
I HAVE FEW QUESTION TO ASK .

1) Does the diploma in architecture UTM offered by the kolej shahputra is genuinely from UTM ?

2) AFTER I GRADUATED FROM THE DIPLOMA IN ARCHITECTURE IN THIS KOLEJ , COULD I CONTINUE MY DEGREE IN ARCHITECTURE IN UTM ?

THE DIPLOMA COURSE IS 3 YEARS .
1. yes, it's genuinely from UTM. the examination papers are graded by UTM lecturers themselves. shahputra teach, we grade.

2. yes.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Mar 24 2011, 12:24 PM
bayleef10
post Mar 24 2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah it's me yo
651 posts

is architecture considered as social science?
yen2009
post Mar 24 2011, 06:40 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

Thanks for solution, now going to search for the BSN and PTPTN related thread in the forum ASAP since 4th April is the last date for July intake so I've to make it fast.

Just wondering that if I can take my Diploma in university like Laila (I'm a Sarawakian and they provide 'free' or I should rather say a cheaper cost to obtain Diploma for Sarawakians) and then I transfer myself to peninsular for LAM-recognized IPTA like UiTM would affect my further study to Bachelor position since LAM don't recognize Laila (Or do they?).

This post has been edited by yen2009: Mar 24 2011, 07:00 PM
yansheng91
post Mar 25 2011, 12:53 AM

15 posts

AFTER THE DIPLOMA , WHEN WANNA APPLY INTO BACHELOR OF ARCH IN UTM , STILL NEED INTERVIEW ?
Bonetoad
post Mar 25 2011, 06:18 AM

Getting Started
158 posts

QUOTE(yansheng91 @ Mar 25 2011, 12:53 AM)
AFTER THE DIPLOMA , WHEN WANNA APPLY INTO BACHELOR OF ARCH IN UTM , STILL NEED INTERVIEW ?
Yup

btw, u and yen2009 are 2 different people?
prophetjul
post Mar 25 2011, 09:04 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,569 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Mar 23 2011, 12:16 PM)
Whats the universities' general requiremnt for A levels for architecture?
Any help here?
Thanks!
TSazarimy
post Mar 25 2011, 10:17 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(bayleef10 @ Mar 24 2011, 09:52 AM)
is architecture considered as social science?
yes. but it is also built environment and design. it depends on how a university would categorize them. u can see that some schools award a BSc in Architecture, others give a BA in architecture. still the same thing wink.gif.

QUOTE(yen2009 @ Mar 24 2011, 10:40 AM)
Thanks for solution, now going to search for the BSN and PTPTN related thread in the forum ASAP since 4th April is the last date for July intake so I've to make it fast.

Just wondering that if I can take my Diploma in university like Laila (I'm a Sarawakian and they provide 'free' or I should rather say a cheaper cost to obtain Diploma for Sarawakians) and then I transfer myself to peninsular for LAM-recognized IPTA like UiTM would affect my further study to Bachelor position since LAM don't recognize Laila (Or do they?).
LAM do not recognize diploma from laila taib. actually LAM do not recognize ANY diploma from anywhere except the old, discontinued ITM diploma (part 1). but that doesnt mean u cant apply. u still can, but it is up to the target university to determine where u should join: 1st year or 2nd year. the decision will be based on the credit transfer amount and ur portfolio.

QUOTE(yansheng91 @ Mar 24 2011, 04:53 PM)
yes, unless u're from UTM diploma (KL). UTM interviews everyone bcoz of the sheer number applying each year.

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Mar 25 2011, 01:04 AM)
Any help here?
Thanks!
IPTAs only recognize A-levels for foreign students, with the exception of UIAM. if u're local but did A-levels, ur only option now is to join IPTS.
yansheng91
post Mar 25 2011, 02:32 PM

15 posts

FROM DIPLOMA SHAH PUTRA ? STILL NEED INTERVIEW WHILE ENTERING DEGREE IN UTM ?

This post has been edited by yansheng91: Mar 25 2011, 02:49 PM
TSazarimy
post Mar 25 2011, 02:40 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

okay enough with the caps. your keyboard broken or something?

if shahputra to UTM, u will join at 2nd year unless u score a whole bunch of subjects.

this weekend (saturday and sunday) is UTM open day. come drop by in skudai and i'll give u a tour about how to land a place here. that goes to all of u interested in UTM's architecture.
yansheng91
post Mar 25 2011, 03:16 PM

15 posts

sorry that my cap irritated you . smile.gif
waie
post Mar 26 2011, 03:11 AM

WieWie WaWa™
1,246 posts

I scored average ''bad'' in SPM but manage to get 5 credits in BM, English, Sej, P.Islam, and Maths. Any chances for me to go for architectural foundation in UTM or any other uni?

Add Ons : I went to UTM's website and checked out how to apply for Diploma in Architectural thru online and it stated there to go to UPU's website to apply. When I go to UPU website, there's no option for UTM's diploma in Architectural

This post has been edited by waie: Mar 26 2011, 03:31 AM
TSazarimy
post Mar 26 2011, 09:25 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(waie @ Mar 25 2011, 07:11 PM)
I scored average ''bad'' in SPM but manage to get 5 credits in BM, English, Sej, P.Islam, and Maths. Any chances for me to go for architectural foundation in UTM or any other uni?

Add Ons : I went to UTM's website and checked out how to apply for Diploma in Architectural thru online and it stated there to go to UPU's website to apply. When I go to UPU website, there's no option for UTM's diploma in Architectural
UTM do not offer any foundation programmes. only UIAM and UM. do check the requirements at their respective websites wink.gif.

diploma in architecture, UTM is listed under the SPACE full-time programme, not under faculty of built environment. do check again.
yen2009
post Mar 26 2011, 05:16 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Mar 25 2011, 10:17 AM)
LAM do not recognize diploma from laila taib. actually LAM do not recognize ANY diploma from anywhere except the old, discontinued ITM diploma (part 1). but that doesnt mean u cant apply. u still can, but it is up to the target university to determine where u should join: 1st year or 2nd year. the decision will be based on the credit transfer amount and ur portfolio.
You did recommend STPM as the best route to oversea Architecture, how about local? Cause I would prefer more experience exposure to Architecture (Diploma) than education (STPM).

Does replacing Diploma with STPM means I skipped a lot of Architecture basics when advancing to Bachelor through STPM path?

How's your opinion in this case since the government prefers STPM students nowadays.
TSazarimy
post Mar 26 2011, 10:45 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(yen2009 @ Mar 26 2011, 09:16 AM)
You did recommend STPM as the best route to oversea Architecture, how about local? Cause I would prefer more experience exposure to Architecture (Diploma) than education (STPM).

Does replacing Diploma with STPM means I skipped a lot of Architecture basics when advancing to Bachelor through STPM path?

How's your opinion in this case since the government prefers STPM students nowadays.
i always recommend STPM above all else as it gives the widest option available for ur studies. it also is a good fallback should u decide architecture is NOT for u. architecture has the highest drop out rate, so it's always go to have a fallback option.

if u're talking about UTM, then it's not much of a difference between diploma and STPM. basically what u learned in 3 years diploma will be covered in the first 2 years of degree. yeah, it's a bit more compressed, but doesnt mean it's more hectic. but it is always up to u. the diploma gives u option to bail out after 3 years. taking the 5 year degree after STPM means u dont have any options should u wish to quit wink.gif.
yen2009
post Mar 27 2011, 07:00 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

I see, cause people are telling me that going for Laila then Bachelor in peninsular university may disrupt my path.

And since you said the basics would be covered in the early years so I may be taking a safer path which is STPM. smile.gif

171 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0178sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:13 AM