75 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Lighting, You Light Up My Life Renovations

views

TSkathlynn
post Jul 6 2010, 02:19 PM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
264 posts

Since I will be re-doing the wiring at my house, the contractor asked me to mark out the spots where I want my lights to be. Currently, the house is using flourescent lights, and I plan to switch to downlights (those embedded into the flat plaster ceiling - i do not plan to do those L Box and stuff like that, just a plain flat plaster ceiling).

I read somewhere that the rule of thumb is to have the lights 1m apart from the wall & about 1.5m - 2m apart for each light. Is there any truth to that?

Also, any recomendation on what lights to use/not to use?

I have a high ceiling living room that goes up to the 2nd floor (those who have seen the 1.5 story USJ house would know what I mean). Instead of using chandeliers, is there an alternative to iluminate my living room? Suggestions/share of experiences are very much welcome!

Many thanks in advance! smile.gif

This post has been edited by kathlynn: Jul 6 2010, 03:26 PM
smsseah5
post Jul 6 2010, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

hahaha....florasense light
VinluV
post Jul 6 2010, 02:29 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

Better for you to have a rough idea where you want lights and go through it with your contractor..
lj0000
post Jul 6 2010, 02:34 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

play with dialux software to do 3d simulation
tinkerbel
post Jul 6 2010, 02:34 PM

Fanaddict!
Group Icon
VIP
13,469 posts

@kathlynn,
You can also speak with the plaster ceiling fella and ask him for his recommendations.
mingyew
post Jul 6 2010, 02:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,146 posts

if u dunwan chandelier, juz put downlight with bigger watt bulbs.

then can consider to put soft/warm light by install wall light or floor light.

btw, juz my 2 cents idea..
TSkathlynn
post Jul 6 2010, 03:27 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(smsseah5 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:21 PM)
hahaha....florasense light
thank you for politely pointin out my spelling mistake! smile.gif

Added on July 6, 2010, 3:30 pm@vinluv & tinkerbel - i would discuss with my contractor, but I was tryin to do some research myself first. especially from LYN forumers whom have plenty of constructive opinions....

Added on July 6, 2010, 3:31 pm
QUOTE(mingyew @ Jul 6 2010, 02:56 PM)
if u dunwan chandelier, juz put downlight with bigger watt bulbs.

then can consider to put soft/warm light by install wall light or floor light.

btw, juz my 2 cents idea..
does having higher watts affect the plaster ceiling board?

This post has been edited by kathlynn: Jul 6 2010, 03:32 PM
lj0000
post Jul 6 2010, 03:38 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

just remember dun install it too high. later hard to change bulb.
barista
post Jul 6 2010, 03:41 PM

I want to retire
871 posts

think energy saving and environmental friendly. Use something that gives out little heat.
antzan
post Jul 6 2010, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

LED...
tinkerbel
post Jul 6 2010, 04:14 PM

Fanaddict!
Group Icon
VIP
13,469 posts

@kathlynn,
You're gonna need to know roughly what you want or how you want the lightings to be.

In my last experience, I sat with the plaster ceiling fella and we both came up with the design biggrin.gif He gave some pretty valuable information biggrin.gif
TSkathlynn
post Jul 6 2010, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

some articles that you guys may find interesting - http://www.ehow.com/way_5316740_lighting-i...iving-room.html

Added on July 6, 2010, 5:03 pmhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/lighting_types.shtml

This post has been edited by kathlynn: Jul 6 2010, 05:03 PM
mingyew
post Jul 6 2010, 05:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,146 posts

if u hv budget... yes, install all LED light for common lighting.

then buy other soft tone floor light / wall light
morpheuzneo
post Jul 6 2010, 06:08 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

Hi,

my best advice to you - go to any of your friend house who had just renovated their house., and see for your self.. how many lighting point they installed and what type.

I've made some silly mistake by just following the ceiling contractor advice on lighting point.

When the whole house completed and i switch on all the light.! Whoaaa!! my house like a hypermarket or hotel - very the bright!! even switch off half also still over-bright.

so.., before you spend like mad following the contractor advice.. seek for yourself.. any of your friend house. and try to reduce the lighting point.

If you see the house in english movie - their lighting is very simple., and not too bright.

Now.. everytime i'm back at my house.., i'm still looking at those extravaganza light that I've installed at my house.. tongue.gif.. ! silly me.

Hopefully all this light will be useful one day - when i do any event or during hari-raya open house.. hhahaha..

TSkathlynn
post Jul 6 2010, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

thanks for your advise! yes, im also worried that my hse looks like its perpectually christmas or something. but worse still if its not bright enough...

may consider gettin a few dimming controller - so that can adjust to liking.....

nick210214
post Jul 7 2010, 12:40 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

Downlights - 4 incher or 6 incher with or without glass
Bulb - energy saving or 'coiled' looking ones or LED

Apart from those, gotta take into consideration your ceiling height.
Say standard 2800mm, you may go for 1pc downlight for every 1 meter (4 incher).

Just a guide, there's no rule. It's a matter of preference, mixing and matching.
TSkathlynn
post Jul 7 2010, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

thanks nick!~

im lookin at "spotlights" for my house too, since the wall is too high, i need to use these at the ceilings - something like this

user posted image

my mom warned me against it tho, sayin tat its too "hot"... would anyone have the alt to this?
ROCKEY
post Jul 7 2010, 09:39 AM

Getting Started
189 posts

yes this is very hot light bulb, generating alot of heat. there are similar designs with different light bulb
justin_nys
post Jul 7 2010, 11:01 AM

Regular
1,192 posts

QUOTE(morpheuzneo @ Jul 6 2010, 06:08 PM)
Hi,

my best advice to you - go to any of your friend house who had just renovated their house., and see for your self.. how many lighting point they installed and what type.

I've made some silly mistake by just following the ceiling contractor advice on lighting point.

When the whole house completed and i switch on all the light.! Whoaaa!! my house like a hypermarket or hotel - very the bright!! even switch off half also still over-bright.
Yea I fully agree with morpheuzneo. except my scenario is insufficient lightings! End of the day, it depends on your personal preference..do you like your house bright or dim cosy type? Personally, I prefer bright environment as I read a lot.. At my new place which I've just renovated, my contractor recommended to have only 8 downlights in my living room which I find it insufficient (18W energy saving bulbs with frosted glass cover). So I changed the bulbs the the 24W type instead of changing the downlight to 2 bulbs housing type...
TSkathlynn
post Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(justin_nys @ Jul 7 2010, 11:01 AM)
Yea I fully agree with morpheuzneo. except my scenario is insufficient lightings! End of the day, it depends on your personal preference..do you like your house bright or dim cosy type? Personally, I prefer bright environment as I read a lot.. At my new place which I've just renovated, my contractor recommended to have only 8 downlights in my living room which I find it insufficient  (18W energy saving bulbs with frosted glass cover). So I changed the bulbs the the 24W type instead of changing the downlight to 2 bulbs housing type...
what's the built up of your living room if you dont mind sharing. im considering using the dimmin control as recommended by some website. so you can create an bright or dimmer environment as you like.

if you read alot, its best to use a lamp or a floor light. better for your eyes too! smile.gif

75 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0634sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:56 PM