Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages « < 15 16 17 18 19 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies Godzilla | based on the iconic Toho Co. character, company behind 300 and The Dark Knight ?

views

ThalaFan
post Jun 4 2019, 12:15 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Jun 4 2019, 09:22 AM)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Honestly... I fell asleep...

I think I fell asleep in the middle of the second act

The story-line is SO convoluted...

Or lack thereof story...

My complain for the first movie (2014) was, Ken Watanabe was in THAT for what?

Well, at least here, he has something to do

The last and inevitable fight between Godzilla and his... nemesis, King Ghidorah was actually worth watching.

And Warner paid homage to the Japaneses culture, by making Godzilla, looking like a sumo wrestle at the end battle.... laugh.gif

Not sure what else I can add this this...

My Two Sen
This post reminded me of a girl who sat next to me y'day when I went to Godzilla: KOTM 2nd time. She slept 5 mins into the film & snored till end credits started rolling

Its herculean task to find reasonable "balance" in Monster vs Monster film & gotta say Michael accomplished it. Ken Watanabe has a beautiful scene & kinda felt touched watchin his wonderful performance in this film.

Fast-paced screenplay was the key. Plus multiple easter eggs here are great homage to Toho. Post-credit scene was kinda eerie..reminds 2012 Avengers set-up

Just wish Godzilla vs Kong director doesnt mess it up cuz this film passed litmus test with fans & MonsterVerse hype goin into the 2020 film gonna be monstrous (no pun intended😂)

Bright_Sparkles P
post Jun 4 2019, 05:15 PM

Probation
17 posts

i just watched Godzilla. The human stories feels boring that i actually enjoyed the monster scenes more.
Mov_freak
post Jun 4 2019, 07:18 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 4 2019, 12:15 PM)
This post reminded me of a girl who sat next to me y'day when I went to  Godzilla: KOTM 2nd time. She slept 5 mins into the film & snored till end credits started rolling

Its herculean task to find reasonable "balance" in Monster vs Monster film & gotta say Michael accomplished it. Ken Watanabe has a beautiful scene & kinda felt touched watchin his wonderful performance in this film.

Fast-paced screenplay was the key. Plus multiple easter eggs here are great homage to Toho. Post-credit scene was kinda eerie..reminds 2012 Avengers set-up

Just wish Godzilla vs Kong director doesnt mess it up cuz this film passed litmus test with fans & MonsterVerse hype goin into the  2020 film gonna be monstrous (no pun intended😂)
Kinda wish I was not so tired going into this movie...

I have to admit I was impressed by the monster fights scene.

Yes, I admit it is not easy to make a monster fest movie.

I missed the end credit scenes... I did not know there are going to be end credit scene... sweat.gif

I really am not sure how Godzilla vs Kong is going to work... I cannot imagine Kong is anywhere near the size of Godzilla...

What is Kong supposed to do, suck Godzilla's toes until Godzilla say uncle??? tongue.gif

Well, will rewatch this again when the bluray is out

Cheers
bartbarb
post Jun 4 2019, 08:21 PM

Casual
391 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Jun 4 2019, 07:18 PM)

I missed the end credit scenes... I did not know there are going to be end credit scene... sweat.gif

I really am not sure how Godzilla vs Kong is going to work... I cannot imagine Kong is anywhere near the size of Godzilla...

What is Kong supposed to do, suck Godzilla's toes until Godzilla say uncle??? tongue.gif

Cheers
Kong is still a young one in skull Island, there's still potential grow for him.

You can check the old Japanese movie King Kong vs godzilla first.. Lol
ThalaFan
post Jun 5 2019, 01:45 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Jun 4 2019, 07:18 PM)

Cheers
Kong's intellect was displayed in 2017 film. He did not rely on brute strength alone against military, Skull Crawlers & various monsters in Skull Island. Plus, its theorized Kong is still growing & by 2020 film, he'd be full-grown adult. Godzilla: KOTM's end-credit scenes revealed kaiju's are headed to Skull Island. As such, Kong would have home-field advantage. Monarch & that particular "post-credit" scene from Godzilla: KOTM would definetly play key role in Godzilla/Kong fight.

But I would obviously want a win-win scenario. After all, both Godzilla & Kong are guardians of their respective territories. Im havin a strong insinuation "BvS" kinda scenario might play-out
Mov_freak
post Jun 5 2019, 07:41 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 5 2019, 01:45 AM)
Kong's intellect was displayed in 2017 film. He did not rely on brute strength alone against military, Skull Crawlers & various monsters in Skull Island. Plus, its theorized Kong is still growing & by 2020 film, he'd be full-grown adult. Godzilla: KOTM's end-credit scenes revealed kaiju's are headed to Skull Island. As such, Kong would have home-field advantage. Monarch & that particular "post-credit" scene from Godzilla: KOTM would definetly play key role in Godzilla/Kong fight.

But I would obviously want a win-win scenario. After all, both Godzilla & Kong are guardians of their respective territories.  Im havin a strong insinuation "BvS" kinda scenario might play-out
Interesting that you brought out the BvS...

It is going to be a Warner Movie...

Will "Martha" coming into play? sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Jun 5 2019, 09:16 AM
domcobb
post Jun 5 2019, 07:54 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Jun 5 2019, 07:41 AM)
Interesting that you brought out the BvS...

It is going to be a Warner Movie...

Will "Martha" comings into play? sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif
Well, she did in this movie … and in the MonsterVerse, she’s called “Mothra” tongue.gif

This post has been edited by domcobb: Jun 5 2019, 08:00 AM
Mov_freak
post Jun 5 2019, 09:16 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(domcobb @ Jun 5 2019, 07:54 AM)
Well, she did in this movie … and in the MonsterVerse, she’s called “Mothra”  tongue.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Clever. Very clever
lyn_grayskale
post Jun 5 2019, 05:40 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 2 2019, 10:48 AM)
The 2014 knew how to build towards a scene, how to stage it, so that when the WHAM! moment happens, you feel the impact. Take the bridge attack scene. The movie knew that anticipation was key and that's how they mounted the sequence. So when Godzilla did finally appear, you could feel the scale and presence of him. And you could feel the might of Godzilla when he simply walks through the bridge like it wasn't there. The impact of the scene doesn't come just from the moment when he crashes his quads into the bridge, but mostly from the build up.

Another great example is the first MUTO escape. 80% of it was build up and staging -- the EMP shocks that occur with greater frequency, the creeping dread, effective editing. So when the MUTO breaks out and you see it's crab-like feet hover above the containment cables, you get a tingle in you. That's impact. It's the on sequence that reminds me most of the Jurassic Park T-Rex escape.

One other difference, among many others, between this new movie and the 2014 one is how the monsters move. In the first movie, they mostly lumbered around, which lent an enormous amount of weight and scale to these CGI creations. The MUTOs were also terrifically designed, part organic, part industrial. So when they fought with Godzilla, each attack landing carried weight to it.

None of these are present in the latest movie, which is 100% muscle on muscle brawn mode. No ingenuity to be seen in the staging of action scenes, no build up, no proper or suitable backdrop for the action. The action is entertaining, but is not half of what Gareth Edwards accomplished in Godzilla 2014. Nothing in the new one beats the final smackdown in the 2014 movie.
Agreed on the points regarding staging of the 2014 one - except that one of the few things that bothered me about that one was offing the characters played by Julliette Binoche and Bryan Cranston pretty early in the story and leaving us with very bland leads - Aaron TJ & Liz Olsen to carry us through the end.
ThalaFan
post Jun 5 2019, 06:05 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(lyn_grayskale @ Jun 5 2019, 05:40 PM)
Agreed on the points regarding staging of the 2014 one - except that one of the few things that bothered me about that one was offing the characters played by Julliette Binoche and Bryan Cranston pretty early in the story and leaving us with very bland leads - Aaron TJ & Liz Olsen to carry us through the end.
Personally, I felt Godzilla 2014 to be 80% buildup 20% payoff

Buildup and drama and staging and setups can only mean so much if ultimate payoff is at least entertaining. Alas, dat 3rd Act fight was in dark, dust & quite frankly boring.It had so much potential waiting to be tapped & yet....Gareth Edward chose to discard them (monster zero was supposed to be included & yet he gave useless MUTO's)

How many times you wanna be amazed @ Godzilla's sheer size, scale & intros when he's not allowed to show anythin...impressive...all show no talk routine

QuickFire
post Jun 5 2019, 07:22 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 5 2019, 06:05 PM)
Personally, I felt Godzilla 2014 to be 80% buildup 20% payoff

Buildup and drama and staging and setups can only mean so much if ultimate payoff is at least entertaining. Alas, dat 3rd Act fight was in dark, dust & quite frankly boring.It had so much potential waiting to be tapped & yet....Gareth Edward chose to discard them (monster zero was supposed to be included & yet  he gave useless MUTO's)

How many times you wanna be amazed @ Godzilla's sheer size, scale & intros when he's not allowed to show anythin...impressive...all show no talk routine
80% build up and 20% payoff is actually a damn good ratio. Many classic movies have a similar ratio. Take Alien (1979). Almost all build up with escalating tension. It's a masterpiece.

The third act fight in 2014 was dark and dusty? That applies more to KotM mate. All the fights here are equally shrouded in darkness and dust and blizzard, if not more so. Gareth Edwards made the smart move of not including too many monsters, and as a result the 2014 movie was perfectly balanced. Anymore and the movie would have been dumbed down. The story or plot may not be intelligent, but the mounting and execution certainly were.
ThalaFan
post Jun 5 2019, 08:05 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 5 2019, 07:22 PM)
80% build up and 20% payoff is actually a damn good ratio. Many classic movies have a similar ratio. Take Alien (1979). Almost all build up with escalating tension. It's a masterpiece.

The third act fight in 2014 was dark and dusty? That applies more to KotM mate. All the fights here are equally shrouded in darkness and dust and blizzard, if not more so. Gareth Edwards made the smart move of not including too many monsters, and as a result the 2014 movie was perfectly balanced. Anymore and the movie would have been dumbed down.  The story or plot may not be intelligent, but the mounting and execution certainly were.
I dunno if ur bein pretentious or simply ignorant mate.

Buildup with escalating tension is what Avatar accomplished. All 2014 Godzilla accomplished was stretching an already extended ball-tickling teasings segments with news broadcasts, cutting away from fight focusin on sleeping child...hype..hype...and more hype with lack of substantial payoff. More than kaiju/Godzilla film, it was a disaster film (no pun intended).

Rodan's chase sequence, Ghidorah vs Rodan, Round 2 Ghidorah's vs Godzilla sequences alone makes ur arguement invalid.
QuickFire
post Jun 5 2019, 08:46 PM

2,865 posts

If Avatar is your chosen benchmark for careful build up it's clear we are referring to differing qualities...

But I can surmise as follows:
If you want a wonderfully rounded and paced action blockbuster that's very smart about how it surrounds its action set-pieces and is not afraid of refraining from showing its namesake character needlessly, then Gozilla (2014) is your movie.

If you want a dumb no holds barred, full-on monster mayhem bash em up with no sense of sophistication whatsoever, but yet is fun when the action happens, then KotM is your choice.

If you want craft, go for the former; if all you want is brawn, go for the latter.

PS: I really like Avatar.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Jun 5 2019, 08:46 PM
QuickFire
post Jun 5 2019, 08:48 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Jun 4 2019, 09:22 AM)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Honestly... I fell asleep...

I think I fell asleep in the middle of the second act

The story-line is SO convoluted...

Or lack thereof story...

My complain for the first movie (2014) was, Ken Watanabe was in THAT for what?

Well, at least here, he has something to do

The last and inevitable fight between Godzilla and his... nemesis, King Ghidorah was actually worth watching.

And Warner paid homage to the Japaneses culture, by making Godzilla, walking in like a sumo wrestle at the end battle.... laugh.gif

Not sure what else I can add this this...

Oh yes, I can think of something to add. All the leads here at super resistant to radio active.... Can stare straight into nuclear blast and not go blind!!! laugh.gif

My Two Sen
What's your thoughts on the 2014 movie?
Mov_freak
post Jun 6 2019, 12:57 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 5 2019, 08:48 PM)
What's your thoughts on the 2014 movie?
Wow, you are really testing my memory...

I found it... Cast heavy

I think the first Japanese Godzilla (1954) movie, was a statement of protest against anything to do with nuclear (Eg. to date, Japan is the only country in the world, that had to live through not one but town nuclear bombs...).

And the second, a strange twist in the script, Godzilla ended up being a savior of mankind...

And the rest to me, is your basic, monster vs monster fest...

SO in short their have B movie quality stamped all over them.

The makers of the American Godzilla (1998) movie, hot off their Independence Day (1996) success put Godzilla on a diet and tried to bring Godzilla to the 21st century. Reviews for that movie was mixed to say the least. Even with Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno and Hank Azaria in the movie.

The 2014 movie really really tried hard to make it a major money churning fpr Warner, which meant that Warner pulled out all the stop in term of casting. Ken Watanabe and Bryan Cranston was cast. I am not sure they were the right fit...

Ken Watanabe had next to nothing to do.

And I felt Bryan Cranston, over hammed it.

It short, Warner tried too hard.

Godzilla is not an easy subject to do.

Even the result of the Japanese 2016 Shin Godzilla was a "huh"????

I was actually in Japan that year. At Shinjuku, they actually made a building size Godzilla next to a building to promote the movie!!

So to answer your question, I thought that the 2014 Godzilla movie, tried to hard to be relevant. sucked almost all fun from the movie.

I have to admit, that the movie seem so uneventful, that when Gidzilla unleashed his atomic breath at the end, I actually went YES, because most of the movie was so uneventful....

Just my another two sen... Don't kill me... tongue.gif
ThalaFan
post Jun 6 2019, 01:18 AM

1 posts

Man, 1998 Godzilla film was my 1st introduction to the creature as I was 7-8 maybe?

Loved the film as kid. Now, I've learnt some aspects of film-making as VFX, cinematography, direction etc & could see why people hated the 1998 version

Like some reviewer said, Zilla looked like Doomsday suffered AIDS & whole fishing/reproduction plot-device felt....so convoluted to say the least

To the films credit though, gotta say it moved at relatively fast-pace which masks most of its flaws. Films 2nd & 3rd Act especially were quite terrific for its time. Zilla's design also looked like demonic underworld devil particularly during underwater submarine chase sequences
jason991
post Jun 6 2019, 02:16 PM

is all about the money, money, money
1,189 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 5 2019, 07:22 PM)

The third act fight in 2014 was dark and dusty? That applies more to KotM mate. All the fights here are equally shrouded in darkness and dust and blizzard, if not more so. Gareth Edwards made the smart move of not including too many monsters, and as a result the 2014 movie was perfectly balanced. Anymore and the movie would have been dumbed down.  The story or plot may not be intelligent, but the mounting and execution certainly were.
Well the setting of the fight scene in KOTM maybe in dark but the gorgeous cinematography and clever use of colour makes it clear enough to see the action unlike it's predecessor and it just feel colourful
domcobb
post Jan 25 2021, 03:59 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

mAzTT
post Jan 25 2021, 11:57 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

They will be evenly matched. But right before Godzilla will deal the final blow to King Kong, the humans manage to find out that Godzilla was actually mind controlled by Mechagodzilla (controlled by aliens), and disable the mind control.

Kong and Godzilla team up to beat the fuck outta mechagodzilla
6UE5T
post Jan 28 2021, 07:21 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(domcobb @ Jan 25 2021, 03:59 AM)

Kong still looks small because of the ship and chains yet now same size as Godzilla. Seems like they've messed up the scaling. How big and strong is the ship to withstand 2 titans fighting on top of it???

19 Pages « < 15 16 17 18 19 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0288sec    0.91    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:01 PM