Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [UPDATED 11/17/05]Headphone FAQ, read this, check it, before you buy one.

views

TSAlamakLor
post Mar 9 2005, 11:49 PM, updated 14y ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

Headphone on Wikipedia

QUOTE(wikipedia)
Headphones (also known as earphones, stereophones, headsets, or the slang term cans) are a pair of transducers that receive an electrical signal from a media player or receiver and use speakers placed in close proximity to the ears (hence the name earphone) to convert the signal into audible sound waves.

Headphones date from the beginnings of the history of the telephone and the radio. The weak electrical signals of the early instruments were enough to operate only headphones audibly.

They are normally detachable, using a jack plug. Typical products to which they are attached include the walkman, mobile phone, CD player, Minidisc player, digital audio player (MP3 player), and personal computer. Headphones can also be used with full-size stereo components. Some headphone units are self-contained, incorporating a radio receiver. Other headphones are cordless, using radio (for example analogue FM, digital bluetooth, Wi-Fi) or infrared signals to communicate with a "base" unit.

Headphones may be used to prevent other people from hearing the sound either for privacy or to prevent disturbance, as in listening in a public library. They are also used to exclude external sounds, particularly in sound recording studios and in noisy environments. Another advantage of headphones over conventional speakers is that the listener experiences total stereo-separation with no mixing of the left and right channels, helping them pinpoint the 'location' of sounds with much greater accuracy. This is of special relevance to videogames that use 3D positional audio, allowing players to better judge the position of an offscreen sound (such as the footsteps of an opponent). A good example of this 3D positioning in action is the game Battlefield 2 for PC. Headphones are almost required in order to listen for enemies firing around you, or someone sneaking behind you for a quick knife kill.

Headphones generally use a 3.5 mm "mini pin" jack.

Types of headphones
In descending order of size:

Circumaural
These type of headphones have pads that go around the ears, usually very large and very comfortable. This is the type typically used in recording studios. Examples include: AKG K501, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Tri-Port Headphones, and Sony MDR-SA5000.

Supra-aural
These type of headphones have pads that go on top of the ears. They were commonly bundled with personal stereos during the 1980s. Examples include: Grado SR-60, Koss Sportapro, Sennheiser PX-200.

Earbuds/Earphones
Earbuds (American English) or Earphones (British English) are small headphones that are placed directly outside of the ear canal, but without fully enveloping it. Earbuds are generally inexpensive and are favored for their portability and convenience. However, due to their inability to provide isolation, they are not capable of delivering the precision and range of sound offered by many full-sized headphones and canalphones.

During the 1990s, they became the most common type bundled with personal stereos. For example, the distinctive white headphones included with the iPod are earbuds.

Canalphones
Professional canalphones (also known as "in-ear monitors") were originally developed for professional audio by Marty Garcia in the early 1980's and designed to be placed inside the ear canal, positioning them closer to the eardrum than other types of headphones. They have excellent isolation quality (up to 32 dBs) because they fit in much the same way as earplugs. Isolation from canalphones is generally superior to that provided by active noise cancellation mechanisms. Hearing aids are a type of canalphone.

Canalphones are traditionally used by live performers as an alternative way of monitoring their music as they allow the performer to protect themselves from the high amount of competitive stage noise present, while mantaining audio fidelity. Their use can eliminate the need for unsightly onstage monitor speakers and feedback problems, and to allow the audience an unobstructed view of the performers. Also, as canalphones can be molded in various colors and sizes, a flesh tone that completely fits inside the ear is commonly preferred by performers for its discreetness.

Despite their roots in live monitoring, canalphones manufacturers have branched out to cater to the audiophile market. Many manufacturers now offer universal fit tips in contrast to the custom ear molds that were the trademark of canalphones which, although offering higher quality, required a trip to a audiologist to make.

A common misconception with canalphones is the higher risk of hearing loss. However, as canalphones block out large amounts of noise, the listener can enjoy his music without being forced to turn it up to a higher level. This is especially true when canalphones are utilized "on the street". With proper discipline, canalphones actually help to prevent hearing loss if the volume is carefully maintained.

The main canalphone manufacturers and their more popular models are :

Driver types
Dynamic
Dynamic drivers use magnetic material attached to a diaphragm that oscillates back and forth. This is the most common type of driver used in headphones.

Electrostatic
A thin, electrostatically charged diaphram (typically a coated mylar membrane), is suspended between two perforated metal plates (electrodes). The musical signal is passed through the plates and depending upon the signal, the membrane is drawn towards one of the plates forcing air through the perforations. This continuous movement of the membrane generates the soundwave. Examples of electrostatic headphones are the Stax SR-007 Omega II, and the Sennheiser HE90 "Orpheus".

Balanced armature
Usually used only in canalphones such as sensaphonics.

Open
Open headphones (sometimes marketed as "open air" headphones) have an open grille on the back of the driver, allowing the sound to vent freely. This usually makes open headphones sound better than closed ones of the same cost range. They also expose the user to more outside sound in cases where that is desirable. Examples of open headphones: AKG K-501, Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD-650.

Closed
Closed headphones are just that, closed backing. Usually these are used where isolation is preferred over sound quality. Examples of closed headphones: AKG K271S, Audio Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Sony CD3000.

Headband
A headband goes over the head. It is usually used with circumaural and supra-aural headphones, but is sometimes used with earbuds or canalphones.

Behind the neck
Behind the neck go behind the neck, and are usually used in portable supra-aural headphones. They do not disturb one's hair like an over-the-head headband does, and can be worn with hats, etc. This now-popular style was newly popularized recently by a particularly trendsetting pair by Sony.

Clip
A clip secures the earpiece with a clip that goes behind the outer ear. Usually used with earbuds, but also sometimes used with supra-aural headphones or canalphones.

Many earbuds and canalphones do not need or have anything to secure themselves inside the ear.

Dangers
Using headphones at a sufficiently high volume level causes temporary or permanent hearing impairment or deafness. Other risks arise from the reduced awareness of external sounds - some jurisdictions regulate the use of headphones while driving vehicles. Also, most European countries have imposed high penalties since 2002 on drivers not using a headset while operating a mobile phone in a car, to ensure that drivers keep their hands on the vehicle's controls.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html
QUOTE(Tangent)
Input Capacitors for Headphone Amps
Some headphone amplifiers have an optional input capacitor. This article discusses the tradeoffs involved in choosing this capacitor's value, or for choosing to eliminate it entirely.

The comments in this article were made with the CMoy Pocket Amp, META42, MINT, PPA and PIMETA amplifier circuits in mind, as they are the only ones I have extensive personal experience with. In some other circuits, the input capacitor is absolutely required due to the design of the circuit, so it cannot be eliminated. You must understand your amplifier's design before you try to apply this article's information to it.

The Problem
In circuits like those I mentioned above, the input capacitor is not required in the ideal situation. They receive an incoming AC signal (music), and they amplify it for the headphones. Very straightforward.

But in real life, music sources have some DC offset: the AC signal is shifted by some constant DC level. The amplfier multiplies the source's DC offset by the amp's gain, and adds some offset of its own. If this total offset is large enough, it can damage headphones, so a source that has an acceptably low DC offset can still become a problem when used with an amplifier.

DC offset is a problem because it can either strain the headphone driver by pushing it one direction continually, or by heating up the coil to the point where damage occurs.

A conservative limit is 20mV across the driver. If your amp has a gain of 10, then the source must have a DC offset of no more than 2mV, and that's assuming that the amp has no DC offset of its own.

How Do You Measure DC Offset?
Put your meter on the DC millivolts scale and measure from ground to each channel.

It's most useful to measure this at the output of the amp, while it is plugged into the source. If your amp uses mini jacks (1/8"), put a mini-to-mini cable in the jack and measure from the long "sleeve" part to the "tip" and "ring" parts out at the end of the plug. With 1/4" jacks, it's a bit tougher because 1/4" to 1/4" cables aren't very common. Instead, it's simplest to measure between the solder lugs on the inside of the amp. If you don't want to open the amp up and can't find a 1/4" patch cable, a 1/4" to dual RCA adapter will also work: just measure from the inside of each RCA jack to the outer shell.

You can also measure DC offset at the source. Remember to multiply this by the amp's gain when deciding if it's acceptable.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58157
QUOTE(head-fi)
This FAQ was initiated by a few members though FrostyMMB was the main pulse in this body of work. I am essentially reposting his synthesis and stickying it for others to read up on before asking about this phenomenon. This FAQ is specifically for Headphones, though the phenomenon is pretty well the same across all equipment, though specifics can be addressed in the various forums.

What is 'burn in'?

When speaking of headphones, 'burn in' is the term used for the settling oft he design parameters of the diaphragms into their intended state. The physical process is that the diaphragms loosen up through use and eventually reach a point that could be considered final. A similar situation is breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Why do people choose to burn in a new pair of headphones shortly after getting them?

Fresh out of the box, a pair of headphones may not sound as good as a well used pair, as the designers have intended. Often, people want their headphones to sound the way that they are intended as soon as possible. Most people don't want to wait for weeks or months of regular use, so the choice is to expedite burn in by getting the process over with in the first week of ownership. Others choose to listen to their headphones as they change over the burn in period.

How do I burn in my new pair of headphones?

You can simply play music through them continuously. Some prefer using pure tones, sine wave sweeps, pink noise, or AM/FM static for burn in. Some recommend using bass heavy music. The method of burning in a headphone does not change depending on model or manufacturer.

Which burn in method is most efficient?

There is no scientific evidence proving that one is better than the other. Choose the method that you prefer.

What do I do with my headphones while they are burning in?

You can set them on a table, put them in a sock drawer, put them under some pillows, or put them on your head. It's up to you.

Do I have to burn in my new pair before I listen to them?

No. You can listen to your new pair of headphones straight from the box. Whether or not to burn in your headphones is your choice. As you listen, you may hear gradual changes in the sound through use. Some people choose to listen periodically during the process, while some hold out until the process is complete. While still others listen for the burn in throughout the entire process listening from day one and enjoying the evolution in sound.

How much does burn in effect the sound of the headphones?

Some say burn in has a drastic effect, some say there is little effect, and some say that there is no effect. The amount of change resulting from burn in will be different for each model of headphones.

How long should I burn in my new pair?

Many recommend approximately 100 hours for most headphones. Some recommend as many as 200 hours or more. Different headphones may take longer than others for a so-called 'complete' burn in, and there is no exact or set length of time for burn in. It is best to use your ears to listen for changes to decide when you should stop the burn in process.

When is burn in complete? Can I burn in too much?

The idea behind initial burn in is to reach the point at which audible changes stop occurring and you are left with drivers than have settled into the sound that they will have forever after, the sound that it was designed to have. After that point, regular use of the driver won't cause significant change in the sound, until perhaps years and years later when thousands upon thousands of hours have passed and the life of the driver is at its end. However, some say that burn in is never complete. The argument is that regular, long-term use constantly wears on the drivers and that wear always has an affect on the sound. Still, it is safe to say that, after a driver has reached its designed parameters through burn in, regular use won't cause significant audible changes.

Is there a wrong way to burn in my headphones?

You risk damaging your headphones at any time by using extremely high volumes. Some recommend setting the volume to a comfortable listening level during burn in, while others recommend a volume slightly higher than your normal listening level. If you hear distortion, pops, or cracks due to high volume, you are likely doing damage to the drivers. Also, using very low volumes will not be very effective in burning in your headphones.

Is burn in actually real?

The idea of burn in has always been controversial. Some people say that there is evidence that proves it while others say that there is evidence to disprove it. Some consider the phenomenon to be purely psychological conditioning while others insist upon physical changes to the drivers, and some agree upon a combination of the two. You are free to be a believer, and you are free to be a skeptic. Whether or not you believe in it and the position you take on the subject is a choice that you should make for yourself.

Is there anything else that I should know?

Burn in has been discussed at length over the years of Head-Fi. Any question you have concerning burn in has likely been asked numerous times, and by using the search function and reading through previous threads, you will almost surely find answers and opinions. This FAQ has been created to limit the number of redundant threads posted by newcomers or especially curious existing members of the Head-Fi community asking the same questions that have been asked in the past. The subject of burn in is not especially complicated or involved, nor is it something to have great concern about, nor is it an exact science. Opinions, methods, and results vary from person to person, headphone to headphone, system to system.

Sorry, no time to write my own articles tongue.gif hope these helps.

This post has been edited by AlamakLor: Nov 18 2005, 07:10 AM
raynmay
post Mar 11 2005, 04:42 PM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

alamak...
i think we should hav 1 FAQ thread all about the audio such as format, THX, DTS, etcetc...
computer idiot
post Mar 11 2005, 07:41 PM

R2904/700005
1,167 posts

QUOTE(raynmay @ Mar 11 2005, 04:42 PM)
alamak...
i think we should hav 1 FAQ thread all about the audio such as format, THX, DTS, etcetc...
Here whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif
tailtwist
post Mar 11 2005, 07:55 PM

Regular
1,563 posts

nice site for headphone reviews
but sadly doesn't contain the phillips headphone models like HP890 n HP1000

This post has been edited by tailtwist: Mar 11 2005, 07:56 PM
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 11 2005, 09:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(tailtwist @ Mar 11 2005, 08:55 AM)
nice  site for headphone reviews
but sadly doesn't contain the phillips headphone models like HP890 n HP1000
dor some reasons, audiophiles dont really like consumer brands....but still, heard from many ppl that hp890 is really sweet mid-fi phone smile.gif
raynmay
post Mar 11 2005, 09:24 PM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

QUOTE(computer idiot @ Mar 11 2005, 07:41 PM)
Here  whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif
wow thanks but still is not "FAQ" enough tongue.gif tongue.gif
do we hav such FAQ site in whole of the forum???
like mp3 format, OGG, or others...
and like frequency responce of speaker/headphone...
ect ect... biggrin.gif
hope i din ask for tooo much sweat.gif tongue.gif
raynmay
post Mar 13 2005, 03:40 AM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

excuse me but what i gona do to "burn-in" a headphone???
juz leave it thr and let it play a song continuosly????
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 13 2005, 03:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(raynmay @ Mar 12 2005, 04:40 PM)
excuse me but what i gona do to "burn-in" a headphone???
juz leave it thr and let it play a song continuosly????
Headphone Burn-in Faq
zx7177
post Mar 13 2005, 12:11 PM

@mp.ZX
2,850 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Mar 13 2005, 03:49 AM)
useful post man , thanks notworthy.gif
raynmay
post Mar 13 2005, 02:35 PM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

thanks again alamak...^^
so what song is recommended to burn-in a new headphone...
frm the FAQ i not really understand what is AM/FM static... blink.gif

This post has been edited by raynmay: Mar 13 2005, 02:41 PM
zx7177
post Mar 13 2005, 03:22 PM

@mp.ZX
2,850 posts

QUOTE(raynmay @ Mar 13 2005, 02:35 PM)
thanks again alamak...^^
so what song is recommended to burn-in a new headphone...
frm the FAQ i not really understand what is AM/FM static... blink.gif
put it to a frequency without a channel

then let ut "PLAY" that channel laugh.gif
raynmay
post Mar 13 2005, 05:02 PM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

not really understand...
how to do it???can i use winamp????
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 14 2005, 01:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

try this and u will know what it is, turn ur volume down before playing it:
http://home.comcast.net/~jbrockmo/headfi_s...hitenoise30.wav
raynmay
post Mar 14 2005, 02:25 PM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

oic...but btw this ype of sound can i play a normal song to burn-in???
(like mp3)??
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 15 2005, 11:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(raynmay @ Mar 14 2005, 03:25 AM)
oic...but btw this ype of sound can i play a normal song to burn-in???
(like mp3)??
burn-in has got no other meaning and no special thing that u need to do ok? just let the music run for long hours, that is what called burn-in.
raynmay
post Mar 16 2005, 02:45 AM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

ok i get it now...thanks and hope i am not so "mafan"^^
jimmylim85
post Mar 28 2005, 10:23 PM

iPhone world....
7,395 posts

Alamaklor, what do you think about comparing MX500, Philips HP800 and Altec Lansing AH502? I would love to have music being lively with well balance of treble and Bass.

Thank you.
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 28 2005, 10:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(jimmylim85 @ Mar 28 2005, 11:23 AM)
Alamaklor, what do you think about comparing MX500, Philips HP800 and Altec Lansing AH502? I would love to have music being lively with well balance of treble and Bass.

Thank you.
i cant seem to find any of them here. i could find mx500 over here but they dont seem to have it anymore. u will have to give them a hear urself somehow. as far as sounding goes, a more balanced phone is usually the most boring phone....as many claimed. but that is what i like biggrin.gif
jimmylim85
post Mar 28 2005, 11:57 PM

iPhone world....
7,395 posts

Btw between earphone and headphone. Which serve best for audiophile listeners?

Cause gavin told me HP890... then MX500 is around the corner from uglyvamp...
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 29 2005, 12:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

no matter how good a earphone/canalphone is, be in UE/Weston/shure/ety/AT/senn you will never get the same sound quality of a fullsize phone at the same price. earphones have better performance to price ratio at the lower end, but after passing certain price point, fullsize tends to take over again. imo, mx500 is nowhere near audiophile.
raynmay
post Mar 29 2005, 04:03 AM

~*r@yVy0u*~
1,308 posts

so if compare mx500 v mx550???
the difference izit only mx550 hav volume control n mx500 dont???
a peoson bulk senheiser mx500 n mx550...which 1 is more considered???
or others model???
Uchiha Itachi
post Apr 14 2005, 12:21 AM

Enthusiast
723 posts

QUOTE(raynmay @ Mar 29 2005, 04:03 AM)
so if compare mx500 v mx550???
the difference izit only mx550 hav volume control n mx500 dont???
a peoson bulk senheiser mx500 n mx550...which 1 is more considered???
or others model???
I met the seller and tried Mx500... Trebal, vocal is very very good but the bass is light... according to him mx550's bass is even weaker... Ermphh.. depends on which music genre u listening to... Mostly i listen to rock so Mx500 wont be my choice wink.gif

Oh ya... a stupid question here... If i use better earphone eg: EX71 on my mp3 player, will the battery drain faster cause it produce better sound?
Par@dox
post Apr 18 2005, 11:50 PM

Gantzer
1,149 posts

I bought myself a MX400 which is essentially a MX500 without the volume control.. The sound is pretty good.. brighter and more engaging than my HP890.. but the HP890 is more balanced, smoother and less tiring to listen to.. I still prefer the HP890..

Bought myself the MX400 because of thinking to mod my O2 Mini handsfree with it.. no need for volume control.. smile.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Apr 19 2005, 02:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Uchiha Itachi @ Apr 13 2005, 01:21 PM)
I met the seller and tried Mx500... Trebal, vocal is very very good but the bass is light... according to him mx550's bass is even weaker... Ermphh.. depends on which music genre u listening to... Mostly i listen to rock so Mx500 wont be my choice  wink.gif

Oh ya... a stupid question here... If i use better earphone eg: EX71 on my mp3 player, will the battery drain faster cause it produce better sound?
nope, in fact it depends on the mp3's quality as well as the volume.
Glyyde
post Apr 19 2005, 08:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,087 posts

hows the performance of a Bose's headphone? anyone tried it b4?
gavlim
post Apr 21 2005, 03:27 PM

i'm too sexy for my girlfriend
1,487 posts

i am debating between the Audio Technica CM7 and the etymotic ER6 / ER6i. has anyone here tried out the etymotic ER6 / ER6i earphones? i wrote to discountheadphones.com and they replied saying the ER6 is more accurate and would be a better buy over the ER6i. they also recommended the etymotics over shure E3C.

i've read some mixed reviews and its making it difficult to make a choice. so hoping whoever has these phones, could u say a few words?

the CM7, ER6 and ER6i are all around the same price. CM7 quoted at RM415 including shipping from Singapore, the ER6 around US$110+ including shipping from US at Discountheadphones.com

edit: called up HungBros Singapore (65) 6336 9989, quoted ER6i at S$245 and HD650 at S$700 (cheaper than malaysia).
knuxed
post Apr 30 2005, 12:24 AM

Regular
1,855 posts

CM7 definitely,i am talking here from personal usage.The thing is that the cm7 needs a long time to burn in then it sounds like an angels voice.The ER6i has some mixed reviews and u might be burning some money on the ear filters and sutff.Another thing is that the cm7 is built like a tank so u can abuse it,from what i have read whereas the Er6i is more fragile/
Geminist
post May 28 2005, 02:00 AM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
Staff
2,928 posts

Wow.. I almost got Cm-7...But made my choice to KOSS KCS 75 ...hahaha... I will share out the sound quality later on when the headphone arrive smile.gif

*made a mistake, I got 55 not 75.. sorry

This post has been edited by Geminist: May 28 2005, 02:05 AM
kenlui
post May 28 2005, 02:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,319 posts

@geminist

Well, looking foward to hear about your Koss headphones.
geejun2
post Jun 14 2005, 11:48 PM

ipod-freak
951 posts

alamaklor taiko!!
need some help in determining what to buy. i bought an iriver ifp895 player which comes with a MX400 earphone. i am looking at MX 550, Pmx 60 and Px 100. Which one would u suggest if i were to change it for my player? thanks dude!!

TSAlamakLor
post Jun 14 2005, 11:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

mx400 no good? tongue.gif
the 400, 500, 500 all also not much different ler, the pmx 60 is also rather bright and light, same kind of phone. so you might wanna check out the px100, koss ksc 75/protapro. alternatively, just buy the shure E4 or superfi and dun worry about upgrading anymore (as long as u ahvent kena upgratitus laugh.gif)
geejun2
post Jun 15 2005, 02:25 PM

ipod-freak
951 posts

thanx taiko..
but does this mean that if i want to upgrade, i should go for the px100 instead of the pmx60 and the mx series issit?
thanx!!
TSAlamakLor
post Jun 15 2005, 07:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

the mx series all sounded very similar, i wonder if they are really the exact same thing in different enclosure. the mx400 is the best among all of the mx series actually, at least that is what others said.

the pmx60, is detail, sounded light and crisp. it lacks in bass and the tone may not sound as full as other more balanced phone. so if u are looking for details, and doesnt mind the lack of bass...pmx60 is one of the cheapest phones that would give you those needs. it sounded like a lite version of my sony cd480.

as for the px100, when i listened it the first and last time, i didnt like it. bleh...nothing special about it...but apparently it carries the higher end senn sound signature. a more refined and well rounded tone. not everybody likes it, which is why the senns are regarded as one of the best to some ppl, and not the best to others. basically, if u wanan try something different, px100 is the way to go. if u wanna keep the same kind of sound but probably a little more detail, try the pmx60.
FatSam
post Jun 16 2005, 09:45 AM

On my way
509 posts

i have Grado SR60...sound better than SR80....but the best headphone for portable gadget is still Sennheiser PX100...

the best of all is Senn HD650..RM 1600(headphone only) bought it last sunday excluding Music Fidelity X-Can V3 Headphone Amp(RM1900).....damn it..the sound ummmpphss...!!!!

This post has been edited by FatSam: Jun 16 2005, 09:46 AM
FatSam
post Jun 16 2005, 09:47 AM

On my way
509 posts

KOSS KCS55 is one of my favourite when i'm cycling....
geejun2
post Jun 19 2005, 01:48 PM

ipod-freak
951 posts

wow!! u earn a lot issit? how u afford such super GADGETS!!! px100 is bttr than pmx60?
mysticaldodo
post Jun 20 2005, 10:27 AM

Enthusiast
993 posts

The cheapest price so far in Malaysia for the Senn HD 650. Where did you buy it from?
lattisimus
post Jun 24 2005, 11:02 PM

4 posts

aloha, does anyone know the price for sennheiserHD 497 and EH250? really hoping someone knows it...thanks!
zx7177
post Jun 25 2005, 01:39 PM

@mp.ZX
2,850 posts

hey alamaklor

remember last time u said got 1 model of somic headset very good wan ?

which 1 ah ? at bulk section hav bulk

coz i need 1 desperately , and dunno where to get a plantronics audio 90

so which model good ah ?
TSAlamakLor
post Jun 26 2005, 01:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(zx7177 @ Jun 25 2005, 02:39 AM)
hey alamaklor

remember last time u said got 1 model of somic headset very good wan ?

which 1 ah ? at bulk section hav bulk

coz i need 1 desperately , and dunno where to get a plantronics audio 90

so which model good ah ?
IIRC, it is SM-350, user posted image
zx7177
post Jun 26 2005, 10:39 AM

@mp.ZX
2,850 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Jun 26 2005, 01:17 AM)
IIRC, it is SM-350, user posted image
so thats the 1 that supposedly sound like a rm200 headphone ? tongue.gif

me gila kiamsiap biggrin.gif

edit : really alamak lor , that bulk tarak this 1 sweat.gif

closest oso is sm-380

This post has been edited by zx7177: Jun 26 2005, 10:40 AM
TSAlamakLor
post Jun 26 2005, 11:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

ive never heard of it, just "heard" of the rumour...and it may be not true laugh.gif afaik, it's the 350 that sounds good for it's price.
izzudin
post Jun 27 2005, 01:35 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(FatSam @ Jun 16 2005, 09:45 AM)
i have Grado SR60...sound better than SR80....but the best headphone for portable gadget is still Sennheiser PX100...
the best of all is Senn HD650..RM 1600(headphone only) bought it last sunday excluding Music Fidelity X-Can V3 Headphone Amp(RM1900).....damn it..the sound ummmpphss...!!!!
Ellow all...
ehh... rm1.6k is pretty cheap... where do u get it from...??

Currently using AKG k 501...
zx7177
post Jun 27 2005, 06:33 PM

@mp.ZX
2,850 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Jun 26 2005, 11:12 AM)
ive never heard of it, just "heard" of the rumour...and it may be not true laugh.gif afaik, it's the 350 that sounds good for it's price.
ah , ok

then mebbe gotta find the distro of plantronics then sweat.gif

duwan waste cash on sumthin that may not be good laugh.gif

thanks man
Tachikoma
post Jul 6 2005, 06:06 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.202.0 (Icemat Siberia) Just wondering if these things can compare to your Grados and Senns and HP890/895s...
LittleLinnet
post Jul 6 2005, 10:02 PM

Iophobia
3,593 posts

is philip Hm450 lame ??
jameskumar
post Jul 14 2005, 07:02 PM

Validating
38 posts

not gonna spam or do nething but
TQ TQ TQ
for advice off this forums topic,with so many good advice from you guys.
i cannot go wrong with my next can.

A short history of my music life b4 i found this forum.

I went to an AV fair to try some can to buy, well I was lucky in a way, the man there gave me a beyer to try, and after that my ears was pamppered by it.

They took me to a place with BOSE speakers setup hidden somewhere, and I was mesmerized,.

now to me all cans sound on-par,but until I got here i reliased and read many advice.THANKS.

Now I know. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
gavlim
post Jul 18 2005, 12:55 AM

1,487 posts

heres a nice site i came across. shows just about every headphone there is (but missing AT CM7). comes with some useful info for each headphone as well as expected retail price, impedance etc etc and most importantly, some very nice pictures.

enjoy guys smile.gif

http://headphones.warzone.org/
TSAlamakLor
post Jul 18 2005, 12:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(gavlim @ Jul 17 2005, 01:55 PM)
heres a nice site i came across. shows just about every headphone there is (but missing AT CM7). comes with some useful info for each headphone as well as expected retail price, impedance etc etc and most importantly, some very nice pictures.

enjoy guys smile.gif

http://headphones.warzone.org/
damn it gavlim! i just saw that yesterday midnight laugh.gif
lucifah
post Jul 18 2005, 01:02 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,580 posts

wow.. sony mdr01 price is us$3850. my gawd... blink.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Jul 18 2005, 01:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

wait till u find out how much Sennheiser HE-90 orpheus cost.laugh.gif

sony have lots of expensive phones, as for "worth" it or not....i dunno....laugh.gif the qualia 010 is also another expensive toy.
lucifah
post Jul 18 2005, 02:09 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,580 posts

wow.. what the f**K, us$14,000 for a pair of headphones? doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

i think only sultan of brunei can afford this baby (the sultan bought a pair of very expensive custom speakers that even got into the news few yes back, reportedly cost aroun usd300k for a pair, dunno true or not)
scotty
post Jul 18 2005, 02:14 AM

THX Certified Conman
Group Icon
Staff
4,379 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 18 2005, 02:09 AM)
wow.. what the f**K, us$14,000 for a pair of headphones? doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

i think only sultan of brunei can afford this baby (the sultan bought a pair of very expensive custom speakers that even got into the news few yes back, reportedly cost aroun usd300k for a pair, dunno true or not)
well must be the most custom made speaker in this world.ferrari red grand slamm with stars on it biggrin.gif diamond stars biggrin.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Jul 18 2005, 02:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

if so, there will be quite a number of sultan of brunei in the states laugh.gif
gavlim
post Jul 18 2005, 12:11 PM

1,487 posts

lol i just realised senn orpheus impedance is 10,000 ohm.. i think my cmoy will self implode laugh.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Jul 18 2005, 02:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

electrostat mar...stax's phones are typically around 150k ohm
lucifah
post Jul 18 2005, 03:22 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,580 posts

wow.. n00b question here. why must have that very high impedance? 10k ohms? can u hear anything lateron?

i only know how to rate earphones by SNr and it's effective frequencies. so, tis impedance oso important?
TSAlamakLor
post Jul 19 2005, 12:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

i dunno how electrostat works...maybe it's for safety measure, so that if the amp leaks or shoot out too much current, it doesnt fry the phone right away.
shinnosuke
post Jul 19 2005, 06:48 PM

who are you?
1,997 posts

my hp800 worth 5 bucks more than px100 sweat.gif
but one px100 can buy 2 1/2 hp800 here sad.gif
blstz
post Aug 10 2005, 12:50 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

Hey guys, im currently using mx550 earbuds. Thinking of upgrading to headphones. Seen the portapro and sportapro online and they dont look very cool. I've also seen koss ksc75 and sennheiser px100.

I quite like those behind the neck style. Porta and Sportapro's headband can adjust it to the back rite?

Anyone have any comments? BTW, im from kuching and if you go to a audio shop here and ask them about portapro or sportapro, they'll go "HA? What? Got kah?" So anyone here know the price(roughly) for these headphones, please do let me know! Thanks!
gavlim
post Aug 10 2005, 01:43 PM

1,487 posts

try the senn px100. i bought them before and gave a very short review. quite good for the money u pay. dont even need an amp to drive them, actually i feel with an amp maybe the bass is a bit too strong. runs nicely straight out of an ipod. and sturdy construction also. maybe a little bit bright at first, but i heard they will quieten down a bit after a burn in period. try www.bluetin.com good prices there.
blstz
post Aug 10 2005, 02:09 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

QUOTE(gavlim @ Aug 10 2005, 01:43 PM)
try the senn px100. i bought them before and gave a very short review. quite good for the money u pay. dont even need an amp to drive them, actually i feel with an amp maybe the bass is a bit too strong. runs nicely straight out of an ipod. and sturdy construction also. maybe a little bit bright at first, but i heard they will quieten down a bit after a burn in period. try www.bluetin.com good prices there.
Great site. Anyway, are the price at local kl stores cheaper than the site?

Have you tried Koss gav? Only thing i dont like about senn px100 is that the headband cannot be folded to the back of the head.

Is PX200 the same as px100?
gavlim
post Aug 10 2005, 04:28 PM

1,487 posts

QUOTE(blstz @ Aug 10 2005, 02:09 PM)
Great site. Anyway, are the price at local kl stores cheaper than the site?

Have you tried Koss gav? Only thing i dont like about senn px100 is that the headband cannot be folded to the back of the head.

Is PX200 the same as px100?
u can try calling the sennheiser distributor (number in the "where to buy what" thread), apparently i read someone posted that they give free shipping. bluetin will charge around RM12-20 on the shipping. i bought two earphones from them, good service and prompt email reply.

never tried koss before.. really dun like the way the porta pro looks. px100 is open, px200 is closed headphones.. havent tried px200 but didnt havent read anything good about them. go with the px100, if you dont like them, dont worry, someone will buy them in garage sales smile.gif
Zaryl
post Aug 18 2005, 12:58 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,193 posts

Hmm..anyone here can recommend me a decent headphones that wont hurt / burden your ears for long time usage?

My current headphone is kinda heavy, when using for 1-2 hours, then I felt my ears getting uncomfortable, especially on my left ears.

Thanks for helping out!
gavlim
post Aug 18 2005, 01:55 AM

1,487 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Aug 18 2005, 12:58 AM)
Hmm..anyone here can recommend me a decent headphones that wont hurt / burden your ears for long time usage? 

My current headphone is kinda heavy, when using for 1-2 hours, then I felt my ears getting uncomfortable, especially on my left ears.

Thanks for helping out!
need to know your budget..
Zaryl
post Aug 18 2005, 02:03 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,193 posts

Hmm..less than RM100.

Got any?
scotty
post Aug 18 2005, 02:13 AM

THX Certified Conman
Group Icon
Staff
4,379 posts

i guess your budget kinda tight biggrin.gif u can try mikechai's bulk on philips.there is a model less than 100.the rest i'll leave it to master sifu gavlim notworthy.gif
gavlim
post Aug 18 2005, 02:27 AM

1,487 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Aug 18 2005, 02:03 AM)
Hmm..less than RM100.

Got any?
RM100 a bit hard to play with. like scotty mentioned, u can try mikechai's bulk on the philips. alternatively, many people will be recommending the Senn's MX series earphones. if u can up a bit, check garage sales for people selling their philips HP890. mostly selling for under RM130. what are u using currently that is causing that heaviness?
scotty
post Aug 18 2005, 02:35 AM

THX Certified Conman
Group Icon
Staff
4,379 posts

a rough idea what u can get for rm 100,still some spare change for some snacks

user posted image
Zaryl
post Aug 18 2005, 01:04 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,193 posts

Hmm..I'm using this chapalang headphone, Emerald E-330, bought at Midvalley IT center shop for RM45. doh.gif

scotty : That headphone looks big lah. Kinda heavy isnt? Wont hurt my ears for long time usage? unsure.gif
blstz
post Aug 21 2005, 04:04 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

Hello,

Im just wondering, im thinking of getting new sponge covers for my mx550. Though I've always thought that they never sell spare parts for earbuds but I heard that it's possible to get them at the distributor? Am i right or wrong? If yes, can i jsut call them up and order and have to send it to me in kuching?

How much would it cost btw? Roughly...Because i dont wanna get my head chopped! Thanks! notworthy.gif smile.gif
sky_lor
post Aug 30 2005, 04:08 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

the sponge cover?i think normal shop also selling right?can use any headphone one...wont really notice the diff la...but just my opinion...haha
jefferey
post Aug 30 2005, 08:54 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

the spongy thingy is very hard 2 get ... unless if the shop taken from some other earphones n sell 2 u ..

bought 2 pairs from thailand for rm4.00 each ... i think i was chopped but wat 2 do since i don c any in the m'sia market ...

if anyboby know where's selling plz share v me ... kekeke
Tachikoma
post Aug 30 2005, 09:27 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

anyone ever seen electrostat headphones (ie: stax) being sold in malaysia?
ijan
post Oct 9 2005, 09:49 PM

The one with a boring life...
3,289 posts

ei, electrostats headphone are better in term of sound production is it? but it needs a special driver, a boxed power unit to drive it right?
xjian1985
post Oct 12 2005, 11:50 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

can anyone recommend any headphone suitable for gaming and also listen to music & movie ???
better if the price below RM200.
Tachikoma
post Oct 13 2005, 07:41 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

Yeah, stax electrostatics need either a voltage bias unit (you plug a power amp to this, and this to the electrostatic) or a complete stax amp, which includes power and the voltage bias (SRM-313). The later is usually MUCH more expensive, and there is no guarantee that it will deliver better sound.
thedoctor
post Oct 13 2005, 08:51 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(xjian1985 @ Oct 12 2005, 11:50 PM)
can anyone recommend any headphone suitable for gaming and also listen to music & movie ???
better if the price below RM200.

the Philips HP-890 and SHP-895 is quite popular over here. do a check over at Bulk section. there's 2 sellers there with both models.
LittleLinnet
post Oct 13 2005, 09:15 PM

Iophobia
3,593 posts

890 still available ?
can't get that though
ThEmAGpiE
post Oct 15 2005, 02:57 PM

Casual
401 posts

can any1 tell me d pros n cons of dts, pro logic n dolby??
like which is better n all dat..get confused with all these selections!!
thedoctor
post Oct 15 2005, 04:59 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(ThEmAGpiE @ Oct 15 2005, 02:57 PM)
can any1 tell me d pros n cons of dts, pro logic n dolby??
like which is better n all dat..get confused with all these selections!!

there's a thread before this for those jargons.. in audiophile of course. try searching a few pages back..
mascis
post Nov 15 2005, 12:22 PM

7 posts

does anyone know where i can get Sennheiser, Koss, AKG or Shure earphones around PJ? and what is the price range i should expect? should be in the hundreds right?

thanks

P.S: and if possible, of the three brands stated, recommend one with good mids.

This post has been edited by mascis: Nov 15 2005, 12:56 PM
chernloon
post Nov 15 2005, 03:23 PM

On my way
513 posts

sennheiser : go to the senn distro at damansara perdana as stated in 1 of the pinned thread, or mediaplex in mid valley. mediaplex might carry akg as well since i saw akg at mediaplex klcc

AKG : a shop in 1u got, but limited model, near jusco there, corner lot, i think is 2nd or 3rd floor, forgot its name

This post has been edited by chernloon: Nov 15 2005, 03:24 PM
airbag_grado
post Nov 17 2005, 09:44 PM

* Washed Hand *
945 posts

QUOTE(mascis @ Nov 15 2005, 12:22 PM)
does anyone know where i can get Sennheiser, Koss, AKG or Shure earphones around PJ? and what is the price range i should expect? should be in the hundreds right?

thanks

P.S: and if possible, of the three brands stated, recommend one with good mids.
This is a dangerous qs to ask here tongue.gif , especially u mentioned akg,shure,senn. Why dun you state how much u are willing to pay?

KL not too far from PJ. Try shop in KL.
mascis
post Nov 22 2005, 12:08 PM

7 posts

dangerous is THE word =)

but kl mega jam...thats why im a bit reluctant to go. bad enough everyday i have to travel from pj to puchong to work

i just bought a pair of sennheiser mx-500 for the time being as i havent really made up my mind yet..nice sounds..and cheap..100 only..might make me lazy to upgrade..see how first

might not get shure in the end..coz i was thinking...in the end im only using an mp3 player..whats the point of getting a pair of ultra good and expensive earphones..no matter how good the bitrate is..it will never be as good as audio cds..and i have a good pair of panasonic clip ons and AKG headphones for my discman..dubai damn cheap..just minus around 50-80 bucks for all akg headphones you see in that shop in 1utama

thanks for replying chernloon and airbag_grado....grado headphones..very nice..quite expensive tho...but not as ridiculos as bang and olufsen...stupid prices

This post has been edited by mascis: Nov 22 2005, 12:18 PM
jonchoo
post Dec 5 2005, 03:39 PM

5 posts

Hey guys,
I was just wondering whether any of u have any idea whether will a headphone/earphone be damaged if it's plugged/unplugged onto a source that's playing.
That said, for example when my mp3 player is playing a song I remove the existing headphones n plug in another one.
Will there be any problems with doing so? Or does it cause any damages to the headphone?
I've seen some threads stating that it will cause problems but I was just wondering up to what extent and what problems will occur, whether noticeable?
Thanks in advanced for everyone reading thru this n replying too!

regards,
Jon
TSAlamakLor
post Dec 8 2005, 10:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(jonchoo @ Dec 5 2005, 04:39 AM)
Hey guys,
I was just wondering whether any of u have any idea whether will a headphone/earphone be damaged if it's plugged/unplugged onto a source that's playing.
That said, for example when my mp3 player is playing a song I remove the existing headphones n plug in another one.
Will there be any problems with doing so? Or does it cause any damages to the headphone?
I've seen some threads stating that it will cause problems but I was just wondering up to what extent and what problems will occur, whether noticeable?

regards,
Jon
little damage to the headphone, but more damage to the player/amp. just pause/mute the music before plugging it in. It'd also be best to NOT have the headphone plugged in when turning on an amp/DAP/whatever. plug it in after it's turned on but without music playing.
jonchoo
post Dec 8 2005, 04:30 PM

5 posts

Thanks heaps for yr answer, AlamakLor the audio guru.notworthy.gif. Clears my doubts. Will definitely take your advice as a guideline to follow. biggrin.gif
chernloon
post Dec 8 2005, 08:07 PM

On my way
513 posts

alamaklor :

when u wana build ur own headphone? thumbup.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Dec 10 2005, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(chernloon @ Dec 8 2005, 09:07 AM)
alamaklor :

when u wana build ur own headphone?  thumbup.gif
laugh.gif never come across my mind. GAWDDAMNIT WTF is my secret weapon! cry.gif
Kagaya
post Jan 26 2006, 09:51 PM

Bad-Badtz Maru FREAK !!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,396 posts

Alamaklor, i'm kinda interested in building a Headphone Amp the size of those 5.25" Bay on a PC, utilising the PSU, but uses a separate DC/DC circuitry to avoid those noise generated by typical PC switching PSU...

The thing is the lack of info on such project on the net, and of course, my knowledge also limited. Perhaps i should just dump a CMOY into a box of such dimension or 'enhance' the provided circuit with a better PCB layout and sorts?
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 26 2006, 10:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 26 2006, 10:51 AM)
Alamaklor, i'm kinda interested in building a Headphone Amp the size of those 5.25" Bay on a PC, utilising the PSU, but uses a separate DC/DC circuitry to avoid those noise generated by typical PC switching PSU...

The thing is the lack of info on such project on the net, and of course, my knowledge also limited. Perhaps i should just dump a CMOY into a box of such dimension or 'enhance' the provided circuit with a better PCB layout and sorts?
for the power section, the easiest way is to use a TREAD (tangentsoft) and bypass the rectifier stage since you are gonna use dc. Some pc psu are extremely noisy, but some are not....though it may still not be as clean as a dedicated linear psu. You can give it a try. If you don;t like Tangent's schemactics on his TREAD, just download the datasheet for LM317 and it will be on there as well.

the 5" bay is quite huge, you can almost accomodate a larger amp in it (ppa, and etc) skip the cmoy and go with a pimeta. You can cut corners on the pimeta and reduce the cost, yet retaining most of the sound smile.gif
Kagaya
post Jan 27 2006, 01:07 AM

Bad-Badtz Maru FREAK !!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,396 posts

Thanks, dude.. it must be chilling the butt in Canada huh?

PIMETA, another sifoo from another thread on Philips Headphone thread also recommend this. Gonna take a peek...

Edit: TREAD, what's that huh? Something like jumper wire?
Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will do the trick in minimizing the noise?

This post has been edited by Kagaya: Jan 27 2006, 01:11 AM
thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 01:30 AM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 27 2006, 01:07 AM)

PIMETA, another sifoo from another thread on Philips Headphone thread also recommend this. Gonna take a peek...

Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will do the trick in minimizing the noise?
tangent has a nice collection of audio articles. refer here. there stored articles about PPA, PIMETA, MINT and META amps.

TREAD is a Linear Power Regulation Circuit based on the LM317. but that requires about 3V drop across the regulator for it to work properly and without hum. so that's not really a choice if you're thinking of using the 12V rail. you'd be better off with a low dropout voltage regulator for that usage.

and i doubt that toroid ferrite core would help in smoothing switched power.
[edited : typos]

This post has been edited by thedoctor: Jan 27 2006, 01:37 AM
Redundant
post Jan 27 2006, 11:07 AM

Gundam Freak
1,518 posts

hey guys, would like to know if i plug my sony ex71sl into my laptop's headphone jack, would it do any damage? i've heard of plugging an earphone into desktop's soundcard will kill the earphone right?

This post has been edited by Redundant: Jan 27 2006, 11:08 AM
thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 02:38 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Redundant @ Jan 27 2006, 11:07 AM)
hey guys, would like to know if i plug my sony ex71sl into my laptop's headphone jack, would it do any damage? i've heard of plugging an earphone into desktop's soundcard will kill the earphone right?
not that i've heard of. in fact, i do it all the time. and most people in here also does it. if you can't plug it into the soundjack, then where you're supposed to plug it into? sweat.gif

but then again, you might know something i don't.
Categg
post Jan 27 2006, 03:27 PM

Still A Forum Lurker
677 posts

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 27 2006, 02:38 PM)
not that i've heard of. in fact, i do it all the time. and most people in here also does it. if you can't plug it into the soundjack, then where you're supposed to plug it into? sweat.gif

but then again, you might know something i don't.

Intresting.. has anyone actually measured the DC offset that laptop outputs? It might be quite high for all we know laugh.gif

thedoctor
post Jan 27 2006, 08:39 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Categg @ Jan 27 2006, 03:27 PM)
Intresting.. has anyone actually measured the DC offset that laptop outputs? It might be quite high for all we know laugh.gif
on laptop i never did, but on a SoundStorm, Audigy2 ZS, Audigy 1, SB Live, and some ALC850 and ALC650 the DC offset in less than 5mV. safe enough for even low impedence cans.
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 27 2006, 09:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Kagaya @ Jan 26 2006, 02:07 PM)

Due to the noisy nature of a switching PSU, i wonder if a toroid ferrite core will        do the trick in minimizing the noise?
sure, slap a ferrite core/choke on the cable if u want, but that only attenuate the high freq noise. Remember that if your headphone is of low impedance, it is easier to hear noises since the caps would need to discharge more current, the ripple noise will increase. btw, I use switching wallwart myself, and I hear no noise whatsoever smile.gif BUT that's not a pc psu tongue.gif
Uchiha Itachi
post Feb 5 2006, 03:56 AM

Enthusiast
723 posts

QUOTE(jonchoo @ Dec 5 2005, 03:39 PM)
Hey guys,

regards,
Jon
My earphone suddenly dead after i plugged it into a mp3 player that playing, just the right side though, any idea why and can it be fix?
thedoctor
post Feb 5 2006, 11:56 PM

Certified PhD in EE
Group Icon
Elite
1,040 posts

QUOTE(Uchiha Itachi @ Feb 5 2006, 03:56 AM)
My earphone suddenly dead after i plugged it into a mp3 player that playing, just the right side though, any idea why and can it be fix?
try using different source, a CD player or your soundcard for instance. just to make sure it's the earphone's problem.
Sky.Live
post Feb 12 2006, 02:55 AM

Proctected Species
4,236 posts

guess wrong place to post

This post has been edited by Sky.Live: Feb 14 2006, 08:38 PM
TanSriLowYat
post Feb 13 2006, 08:32 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

Im looking desperately for senheiser earphones..the best one..Anybody can help here since u all pro in this matter.
empire23
post Feb 15 2006, 08:52 AM

Team Island Hopper
Group Icon
9,392 posts

QUOTE(TanSriLowYat @ Feb 13 2006, 08:32 PM)
Im looking desperately for senheiser earphones..the best one..Anybody can help here since u all pro in this matter.
You can get all the high end models from Davis's bulk. I bought my HD650s from him.
No<mans>Land
post Mar 12 2006, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

got a lil question about the headphone burn in. Can v burn in the headphone seperately or must it be one go playing none stop for few days?
KilJim
post Mar 13 2006, 12:26 AM

^-_-^ ZzzZzZzZzzz....
Group Icon
Elite
4,396 posts

QUOTE(No<mans>Land @ Mar 12 2006, 11:10 PM)
got a lil question about the headphone burn in. Can v burn in the headphone seperately or must it be one go playing none stop for few days?
what do u mean by seperately?
if u understand what burning in actually does, by simply playing music you're already burning them in
no matter for how long or what kinda music or any volume
No<mans>Land
post Mar 13 2006, 08:00 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

What i mean by my last question was. Must i play either any music for a few days none stop for 100 hours or can burn in seperately.
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 13 2006, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(No<mans>Land @ Mar 12 2006, 09:00 PM)
What i mean by my last question was. Must i play either any music for a few days none stop for 100 hours or can burn in seperately.
burn-in = wear out/saturates the driver/component. You don't need to do it continuously for a long period, just use it as normal would do.
No<mans>Land
post Mar 13 2006, 09:36 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

thats wat i mean. thanks

chernloon
post Mar 13 2006, 10:28 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(TanSriLowYat @ Feb 13 2006, 08:32 PM)
u can surf around head-fi.org for-sale thread for 2nd hand hd650 if u hav lower budget.
Categg
post Mar 13 2006, 10:34 PM

Still A Forum Lurker
677 posts

QUOTE(chernloon @ Mar 13 2006, 10:28 PM)
u can surf around head-fi.org for-sale thread for 2nd hand hd650 if u hav lower budget.
And skip the burn in process which almost drives u insane laugh.gif

Tachikoma
post Mar 13 2006, 11:55 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

Enough with bose I see? biggrin.gif welcome back to the lighter darkside tongue.gif
chernloon
post Mar 14 2006, 12:16 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Categg @ Mar 13 2006, 10:34 PM)
And skip the burn in process which almost drives u insane  laugh.gif
and get some decent amps from there too, and decent source, and sometime got decent cable as well

mostly, all are burnt-in already
can directly enjoy them without dropping a single sweat at cheaper price
Blackhart
post Mar 30 2006, 03:19 PM

Like a rolling stone
508 posts

One question,I left my headphones connected to an old pair of speakers for a couple of hours to burn-in,only to realise later that the speakers are a little faulty; at certain volume level the right channel become a lot less audible than the left.Does this make the burn-in on both sides of my headphones unbalanced?
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 30 2006, 03:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

it may be due to channel imbalance on the pot of your speaker, or possibly that your speaker has damaged the phone somehow. Try it on some other sources to determine if the channel imbalance is still present, or whether it only appears with the use of your speaker.
Blackhart
post Mar 30 2006, 03:35 PM

Like a rolling stone
508 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Mar 30 2006, 03:23 PM)
it may be due to channel imbalance on the pot of your speaker, or possibly that your speaker has damaged the phone somehow. Try it on some other sources to determine if the channel imbalance is still present, or whether it only appears with the use of your speaker.
Sorry thats not what I meant,the phones are fine.The speakers are always like that.I'm just concerned about whether the volume imbalance during the burn-in would result in the right side of the phone to be slower than the left side in "burn-in hours".Which would make the sound quality of both sides to be unbalanced.I hope you understand what I'm trying to say smile.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Mar 30 2006, 03:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

I wouldn't worry about it, grado's* channel matching is pretty poor anyway, and technically..they are never the same and I doubt you could hear any difference unless your pair's drivers are seriously badly matched.

*(i presume it's your grado?)
Blackhart
post Mar 30 2006, 04:17 PM

Like a rolling stone
508 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Mar 30 2006, 03:53 PM)
I wouldn't worry about it, grado's* channel matching is pretty poor anyway, and technically..they are never the same and I doubt you could hear any difference unless your pair's drivers are seriously badly matched.

*(i presume it's your grado?)
Yep,thank you very much for your replies!Its just me being paranoid again smile.gif
xterlasifique
post Apr 19 2006, 03:45 PM

11 posts

hi there guys..
a question: is Stanton cans good?
reason to why i'm asking is tht i'm kinda considering & in the same time saving enuf money to buy a sr60 (gr8 rite?) but i came across stanton while waitin'..
smile.gif
Redundant
post May 19 2006, 01:54 PM

Gundam Freak
1,518 posts

i have a pair of sony ex71... bought it a yr ago...
can i use it with my laptop's headphone jack?
will it cause damage like when u plug in ur earphone into ur desktop's audio out jack?
thanks!
empire23
post May 19 2006, 03:14 PM

Team Island Hopper
Group Icon
9,392 posts

QUOTE(Redundant @ May 19 2006, 01:54 PM)
i have a pair of sony ex71... bought it a yr ago...
can i use it with my laptop's headphone jack?
will it cause damage like when u plug in ur earphone into ur desktop's audio out jack?
thanks!
Nope, but just remember to keep the volume at zero and slowly turning it up. Max while plugging them in might blow the Transducers.
Redundant
post May 19 2006, 09:04 PM

Gundam Freak
1,518 posts

QUOTE(empire23 @ May 19 2006, 03:14 PM)
Nope, but just remember to keep the volume at zero and slowly turning it up. Max while plugging them in might blow the Transducers.
ok, thanks alot! =)
dya_ungu
post May 29 2006, 05:24 PM

* look at my stars *
1,040 posts

actually i still dont understand burn in new headphone is for what?
Blackhart
post Jun 1 2006, 10:52 AM

Like a rolling stone
508 posts

QUOTE(dya_ungu @ May 29 2006, 05:24 PM)
actually i still dont understand burn in new headphone is for what?
It is said that that usually quality headphones does not sound at its maximum potential right out of the box.By playing it for long hours the sound quality will gradually "open up".Can't give you the technical explanation but thats the theory smile.gif
expertester
post Jun 12 2006, 04:38 AM

Casual
321 posts

After exhaustive research about a good pair of headphone (under RM 500), i decide to buy grado SR80. It really worth every single cent. Really worth. Compare to my zalman 5.1 and Koss or Altec headphone, grado stand out from the crowd obviously. The bass is more than enough (i am techno mp3 lover fyi) and the treble is i max my x-fi trebble setting could pierce my ear drum. Thats my recommendation about good grado headphone.

For the burn in process, any song or sound could do. Even though, you are not force to do so. You may enjoy your good pair of headphone eventually sound better and better. Yes i notice the different ... I just play mp3 and listen to it.

How the burn in process improve the sound. Well, if you buy a good set of speaker, it require some burn in too. It related to the phisical and material of diafragm. Fresh from the factory, the diafragm kinda not so elastic. The output of the diafragm sound less transparent and lack of bass (for my grado). Time to time, when the burn in process enough i think, i never imagine that the bass could be very good...more to thumping now.
Akabane@DrJackel
post Jun 15 2006, 08:05 AM

**Music Listeners**
4,540 posts

QUOTE(Blackhart @ Jun 1 2006, 10:52 AM)
It is said that that usually quality headphones does not sound at its maximum potential right out of the box.By playing it for long hours the sound quality will gradually "open up".Can't give you the technical explanation but thats the theory smile.gif
QUOTE(expertester @ Jun 12 2006, 04:38 AM)
After exhaustive research about a good pair of headphone (under RM 500), i decide to buy grado SR80. It really worth every single cent. Really worth. Compare to my zalman 5.1 and Koss or Altec headphone, grado stand out from the crowd obviously. The bass is more than enough (i am techno mp3 lover fyi) and the treble is i max my x-fi trebble setting could pierce my ear drum. Thats my recommendation about good grado headphone.

For the burn in process, any song or sound could do. Even though, you are not force to do so. You may enjoy your good pair of headphone eventually sound better and better. Yes i notice the different ... I just play mp3 and listen to it.

How the burn in process improve the sound. Well, if you buy a good set of speaker, it require some burn in too. It related to the phisical and material of diafragm. Fresh from the factory, the diafragm kinda not so elastic. The output of the diafragm sound less transparent and lack of bass (for my grado). Time to time, when the burn in process enough i think, i never imagine that the bass could be very good...more to thumping now.
Need a lot time to burn it, that what i consult by the specialist from grado headphones distributor. More u burn the drive, sound will improve at the same time. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

dinodog_Jr
post Jun 15 2006, 01:06 PM

I am not a dog
3,808 posts

haha..expertester, i got the similar history like urs.

I was couldn't bear wif the Altec headphone sounds like. I even brought to the distributer shop to complaint bout headphone sounds like Sh@T.
Design looks so nice but the sound is horrible unacceptable.

After joined this forum, i bucked up my Rm100 budget and went for SR60 in the end. Happy listening until today.

johnliew
post Jun 15 2006, 02:25 PM

Casual
339 posts

Same here same here. I used to own a RM90 Koss headset (with mic boom), and a Panasonic "DIGITAL" Stereo Insidephones, "gold plated" somemore.

Koss so so okey la. Mic died after a while. The Panasonic is way crap. What do you expect for a RM20 buds? So don't fall into trap, where "gold plated" (more like gold color only) jack = good.

I am now proud owner of SR60 smile.gif

BTW, found the Koss model that I had. I had it for almost 5 years now. Pads all gone, mic dead, but driver is still quite ok. ==> CS100

This post has been edited by johnliew: Jun 15 2006, 02:30 PM
Akabane@DrJackel
post Jun 16 2006, 10:52 PM

**Music Listeners**
4,540 posts

is proud to say it, when u feel confortable with ur hp
TSAlamakLor
post Jun 17 2006, 02:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(johnliew @ Jun 15 2006, 03:25 AM)
Same here same here. I used to own a RM90 Koss headset (with mic boom), and a Panasonic "DIGITAL" Stereo Insidephones, "gold plated" somemore.

Koss so so okey la. Mic died after a while. The Panasonic is way crap. What do you expect for a RM20 buds? So don't fall into trap, where "gold plated" (more like gold color only) jack = good.

I am now proud owner of SR60 smile.gif

BTW, found the Koss model that I had. I had it for almost 5 years now. Pads all gone, mic dead, but driver is still quite ok. ==> CS100
send it for warranty to claim a new one. make good use of its lifetime warranty
walabies
post Jul 3 2006, 01:39 PM

Jaben Network.. A headphones store with teddy bears...
6,402 posts

Wah... really lifetime warranty? But I forget my serial...
yeahs4.1
post Jul 21 2006, 12:45 AM

Audio Freako
2,489 posts

hi. mind to share the price of grado SR60 and SR80?
thx..
yeah_guyz
post Jul 21 2006, 01:12 AM

o2 + co2= coo22 ^_^lll
3,980 posts

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Jul 21 2006, 12:45 AM)
hi. mind to share the price of grado SR60 and SR80?
thx..
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=264943
try here

This post has been edited by yeah_guyz: Jul 21 2006, 01:12 AM
:+:[J]erR[y]:+:
post Jul 24 2006, 06:51 PM

On my way learning
1,033 posts

I am also looking for a nice headphone..
I love bass and loud music.. but does it spoil hearing?
anyway.. got any recommend on good headset with budget under RM150?
Thanks a lot..
1zR4eL
post Aug 3 2006, 01:06 PM

Regular
1,816 posts

what is noice cancelling headphone do actually?

This post has been edited by 1zR4eL: Aug 3 2006, 01:06 PM
yeahs4.1
post Aug 3 2006, 07:28 PM

Audio Freako
2,489 posts

when u listen to it, u cant hear other noise outside from the surroundings..
that's y it;s noise canceling..
1zR4eL
post Aug 3 2006, 11:10 PM

Regular
1,816 posts

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Aug 3 2006, 07:28 PM)
when u listen to it, u cant hear other noise outside from the surroundings..
that's y it;s noise canceling..
if using canal headphone also cannot hear sound from surroundings, so is that noice cancelling too
prototype
post Aug 8 2006, 05:43 PM

Getting Started
156 posts

im planning to get a philips shp805
will it spoil if i connect it to my guitar amp?
yeahs4.1
post Aug 17 2006, 09:10 PM

Audio Freako
2,489 posts

hi there,
i know that every headphone's brand have different signature of sound.
can any1 share/describe this with me?
so far, i jz know that:
1. Grado ->all rounder, bright, up-front mid
2. Senn -> should be dark or warm?
3. how about audio technica?

correct me if i'm wrong..
Tachikoma
post Aug 17 2006, 09:26 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

Grado phones aren't supposed to be all rounders =P

anyway, does anyone know where I can buy the AKG K81 DJ in malaysia?
walabies
post Aug 21 2006, 09:08 PM

6,402 posts

QUOTE(1zR4eL @ Aug 3 2006, 11:10 PM)
if using canal headphone also cannot hear sound from surroundings, so is that noice cancelling too
No... some are specially made for noise cancelling, not the normal ones. For example Shure e2c, Senn cx300 and sony ex71s are nice noise cancelling canals.
penny2
post Oct 30 2006, 05:30 PM

Enthusiast
841 posts

i want to ask,
how to differentiate whether an earphone is good or not by looking at the output or voltage or watt or something stated at the package without testing it?
walabies
post Oct 30 2006, 05:33 PM

6,402 posts

No it doesnt tells anything. I only look at the frequency range... However, it also doesnt tells much.
penny2
post Oct 30 2006, 05:37 PM

Enthusiast
841 posts

QUOTE(walabies @ Oct 30 2006, 07:33 PM)
No it doesnt tells anything. I only look at the frequency range... However, it also doesnt tells much.
huh...
anyway, thanks
skod
post Nov 27 2006, 11:03 PM

Regular
1,035 posts

noob question ::

How to burn in your headphone??

edited : question answered. just read from the 1st post..from your personal experiemce, any tips on burning in? what type of song good for burn in?

This post has been edited by skod: Nov 27 2006, 11:12 PM
walabies
post Dec 5 2006, 08:28 PM

6,402 posts

There's one edifier speaker tool that would make the burn in fast. I think so... But my friend experienced the program makes the burn in with his edifier speaker spoiled, has some noise after that, thus I suggest you play music 24hrs/7days with slightly louder than your listening volume.
yeahs4.1
post Dec 6 2006, 12:50 AM

Audio Freako
2,489 posts

QUOTE(walabies @ Dec 5 2006, 08:28 PM)
There's one edifier speaker tool that would make the burn in fast. I think so... But my friend experienced the program makes the burn in with his edifier speaker spoiled, has some noise after that, thus I suggest you play music 24hrs/7days with slightly louder than your listening volume.
is that possible? pink noise will spoil speaker ? rclxub.gif
i dun have problem with that and i'm also using edifier speaker with edifier burn-in tools..
walabies
post Dec 7 2006, 07:13 PM

6,402 posts

I dunno, it's just my friend's experience and my suggestion.
PcWork
post Dec 27 2006, 01:30 PM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

i think that's due to manufacturer defect, more than the program spoil the speaker.
perhaps the amp design is not good / defect in that unit, and they on it for relatively long time for burn in, and viola, the chip really burned out then.

goliath
post Jan 9 2007, 03:10 PM

5,392 posts

Referring to headphone specifications, what is this Nominal Impedance?
walabies
post Jan 9 2007, 04:13 PM

6,402 posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_impedance
Is it same with impedance? Related with whether the phone is hard or easy to drive.
goliath
post Jan 9 2007, 04:25 PM

5,392 posts

So is it,

Low nominal impedance = easy to drive
High nominal impedance = hard to drive

or the other way round ? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by goliath: Jan 9 2007, 04:26 PM
walabies
post Jan 9 2007, 04:34 PM

6,402 posts

QUOTE(goliath @ Jan 9 2007, 04:25 PM)
So is it,

Low nominal impedance = easy to drive
High nominal impedance = hard to drive

or the other way round ?  hmm.gif
That's what I understand too. I would like to add more; low impedance phone will do well in unamped but when you need to amp it, finding the suitable one will be quite choosy.
goliath
post Jan 9 2007, 04:44 PM

5,392 posts

If I would to get a high impedance (hundreds ohms) haedphones, I need a better source of output (music player), am I right? I can't just get those and plug it straight to my iPod and listen, can I?
mADmAN
post Jan 9 2007, 07:19 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

@goliath
u dont NEED a better source.... just get a decent amp for ur source should be enough.
walabies
post Jan 9 2007, 10:07 PM

6,402 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Jan 9 2007, 07:19 PM)
@goliath
u dont NEED a better source.... just get a decent amp for ur source should be enough.
Yes, high impedence phones tend to sound weak without amps
Enferno
post Jan 11 2007, 12:39 AM

Casual
467 posts

wanted to ask u guys abt philips SHP2700.. what u guys think?? do anyone here own 1??
Hackezkk
post Feb 21 2007, 10:34 PM

~::CiPan'S LovEr::~
1,959 posts

yeah...anyone hav it??
arifwan
post Mar 6 2007, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
118 posts

Hi frenz.. newbiew here...
I'm using Behringer HPM1000.. for me the sound is not bad vs price (cost only hundred puls).. Anyone here ever used any Behringer headphone??? How is the sound quality...?? Any comment/s?? rclxms.gif

Behringer HPM1000 link: http://www.behringer.com/HPM1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

THanks

This post has been edited by arifwan: Mar 6 2007, 01:39 PM
mofonyx
post Apr 17 2007, 12:18 AM

Squatting is the solution to life's problems
2,394 posts

QUOTE(walabies @ Aug 21 2006, 09:08 PM)
No... some are specially made for noise cancelling, not the normal ones. For example Shure e2c, Senn cx300 and sony ex71s are nice noise cancelling canals.
Noise cancelling and noise isolating are different things just so you know.

Noise cancelling headphones are headphones that produces a "antinoise" soundwave in response to outside noise. One famous pair of headphones that ultilises this noise cancelling technology is the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 (Bose QC2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

Noise isolating are what we are familiar with, with the likes of Shure ES530 and Etymotic ER-4
nicholas_1213
post Apr 17 2007, 07:27 PM

Music is how feeling sounds like..
1,138 posts

And noise cancelling headphones normally need some power input such as battery, while noise isolating just like those IEM.. correct me if im wrong tongue.gif
fo33il
post Jun 23 2007, 12:18 AM

Casual
433 posts

errr.....i dont know if this is the rite thread to ask bout this....what causing the EMI (electromagnetic interference)?

coz, when i moving my mouse or types on my keyboard....i can hear the zzz sound on my headphone...

what must i do? biggrin.gif

hedfi
post Jun 26 2007, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
198 posts

think you just have to move the transmitter further away from your source
mezerwi
post Jun 30 2007, 07:52 PM

Casual
340 posts

Er, duno where to ask. Any introduction to audiophile? Im totally noob about this thingy.
yrh0413
post Jun 30 2007, 09:30 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,207 posts

QUOTE(mezerwi @ Jun 30 2007, 07:52 PM)
Er, duno where to ask. Any introduction  to audiophile? Im totally noob about this thingy.
state your budget
mezerwi
post Jun 30 2007, 11:14 PM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(yrh0413 @ Jun 30 2007, 09:30 PM)
state your budget
Hurm.. RM 50-99 .. Mainly what audiophile people do?
walabies
post Jul 1 2007, 12:34 AM

6,402 posts

Audiophile? We buy them when it's good.
jazzy939
post Sep 3 2007, 02:18 PM

reel is real
8,174 posts

Hi there arifwan!

Since you are a user, when don't you tell us how does your behringer sounded?

Interesting read: "The HPM1000 multi-purpose headphones provide semi-pro-level users with an incredible performance unheard of in this price category. They feature an ultra-wide frequency response, high dynamic range, a high-resolution capsule and oval-shaped ear cups with a comfortable headband"

Would be interesting to know first hand experience. How true is their claims...
Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the 'club'! rclxms.gif

QUOTE(arifwan @ Mar 6 2007, 11:53 AM)
Hi frenz.. newbiew here...
I'm using Behringer HPM1000.. for me the sound is not bad vs price (cost only hundred puls).. Anyone here ever used any Behringer headphone??? How is the sound quality...?? Any comment/s?? rclxms.gif

Behringer HPM1000 link: http://www.behringer.com/HPM1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

THanks
This post has been edited by jazzy939: Sep 3 2007, 02:20 PM
MadZiZ
post Sep 7 2007, 05:19 PM

Enthusiast
719 posts

Here the tip to being a smart audiophille is buying things cheap but having the sounds of more expensive headphones:)
nicholas_1213
post Sep 7 2007, 09:42 PM

Music is how feeling sounds like..
1,138 posts

QUOTE(MadZiZ @ Sep 7 2007, 05:19 PM)
Here the tip to being a smart audiophille is buying things cheap but having the sounds of more expensive headphones:)
Hehe, good saying.. and whenever we hear of this statement, something WHITE, and WHITE + ORANGE stuff will appear in our mind tongue.gif
MadZiZ
post Sep 25 2007, 05:46 AM

Enthusiast
719 posts

Haha poison poison tongue.gif Yes i would agree smile.gif
Endless9930
post Oct 8 2007, 09:10 AM

Enthusiast
757 posts

Well...

Got hissing sound when i plug the earphone ( creative 630 ) to my sony nwe 015f walkman during soft music....

So the problem can be solved by buying other earphone?? ( probably sony one ??)
ryder
post Oct 13 2007, 05:02 PM

Ice Madness
875 posts

i got a Plantronics audio .340...if anyone is using the same model can tell me weather the volume when max its still kinda soft or is it normal?
thx
TeOtq
post Nov 13 2007, 04:55 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(Endless9930 @ Oct 8 2007, 09:10 AM)
Well...

Got hissing sound when i plug the earphone ( creative 630 ) to my sony nwe 015f walkman  during soft music....

So the problem can be solved by buying other earphone?? ( probably sony one ??)
is the sound occur when u plug in?is yes than is normal,nothing to worry.
since u are at lyn.net,the most hot earphone is the mylarone series that sold by yuheng n wallabies.hv a look
watdafuk_abn
post Nov 16 2007, 11:31 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

hi , i'm currently using w200.

Just a question here, will it make a different if i get a different earphones? i tried one earphone which is JVC gummy ones...
TeOtq
post Nov 16 2007, 04:17 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(watdafuk_abn @ Nov 16 2007, 11:31 AM)
hi , i'm currently using w200.

Just a question here, will it make a different if i get a different earphones? i tried one earphone which is JVC gummy ones...
sure,different earphone gv u different sound signature.some earphone good in bass,some good in clarity,some warm,some dark...
dlyz
post Nov 20 2007, 11:36 AM

Dynaudio
1,826 posts

What does a headphone amp do besides boosting the volume?
akRia
post Nov 28 2007, 08:56 PM

...~+noob+~...
1,998 posts

wrong section

This post has been edited by akRia: Nov 29 2007, 01:31 AM
myniuniu
post Dec 14 2007, 11:33 AM

8 posts

Anybody heard of Beyerdynamic before???can give some commend???
richter693
post Jan 24 2008, 12:10 PM

26 posts

anyone can tell where can i get a reasonable price for V-Moda earphone in malaysia ...thankyou
yuheng
post Jan 24 2008, 04:58 PM

Audio=Enjoy
2,753 posts

QUOTE(richter693 @ Jan 24 2008, 12:10 PM)
anyone can tell where can i get a reasonable price for V-Moda earphone in malaysia ...thankyou
sorry, i dont think u could get any Vmoda in malaysia, and it is abit overprices based on the review in headfi biggrin.gif

can try some alternative if u focus on its sound, as for looked, it is pretty good biggrin.gif
richter693
post Jan 25 2008, 08:47 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(yuheng @ Jan 24 2008, 04:58 PM)
sorry, i dont think u could get any Vmoda in malaysia, and it is abit overprices based on the review in headfi biggrin.gif

can try some alternative if u focus on its sound, as for looked, it is pretty good biggrin.gif
ops... really ?? actually i saw it in pavilion's MAC shop... but seriously it cost for rm4xx .. really a bit pricy.. so if same with the quality of sound..can you recommand any other model or brand ??

thankyou very much .. si fu
notworthy.gif
yuheng
post Jan 25 2008, 02:18 PM

Audio=Enjoy
2,753 posts

QUOTE(richter693 @ Jan 25 2008, 08:47 AM)
ops... really ?? actually i saw it in pavilion's MAC shop... but seriously it cost for rm4xx .. really a bit pricy.. so if same with the quality of sound..can you recommand any other model or brand ??

thankyou very much .. si fu
notworthy.gif
u can always PM me ur budget, so we can have better diccuss in PM then tongue.gif
Holyboyz
post Feb 9 2008, 09:00 PM

Casual
421 posts

Hey im looking 4 a pair of gaming headphones since my stupid logitech gaming headset died on me(regretted buying that)with preferably above average in music audio and has a mic...in my budget of RM250 of cuz..ive done some research online and read alot of reviews on the different kind of headphones i like them full ear and comfortable for long term gaming sessions with sturdy durability

After looking around a long while i came down too 2 headphones which are the

1,Steelsound 4H
2.Everglide s500

I would like 2 know which one of these would have the better bang for the buck value recommendation of other heaphones would also be welcomed cheers
kurasano
post Feb 11 2008, 01:20 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

hallo guys..me bought a4tech hd800..its usb...haow can i plug it to my mp3 female 3.5 jack..

plz..really need ur help...anyone sell the adapter?
Raiko
post Feb 11 2008, 04:31 AM

On my way
582 posts

Anyone can kindly recommend me a good but not expensive surround sound headphone that uses optical cable for my PS3 ?
Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Raiko: Feb 11 2008, 04:32 AM
ckffeng
post Apr 5 2008, 09:26 PM

Validating
41 posts

wow ... great .. thanks for sharing . i hav learned much from here
eric999
post Apr 23 2008, 10:11 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

got myself a nice headphone, do i need to upgrade my soundcard to make it sound better ?

please recommend me a good soundcard to pair with it smile.gif

user posted image

Added on April 30, 2008, 10:58 pmgrab a wireless sennheiser T80.... 100m effective range..

now i really need a better sound card, any recommendation ?

user posted image

This post has been edited by eric999: Apr 30 2008, 10:58 PM
D_Y2k.4^
post May 6 2008, 12:08 AM

Enriching Your Lifestyle!
2,267 posts

Not sure whether its the right thread but here goes. I need technical support here. In a sudden one side of my earphones just went off and now I can only listen to music one sided. Any idea what happened?
Yuki Ijuin
post May 12 2008, 01:07 AM

On my way
649 posts

Most probably, cable problems. Try cracking the cables (SOFTLY) to see if you can get the sound back. if you know where's the problem, you can fix it easily. the other thing would be a blown driver. Which would suck. XD
myhat
post May 14 2008, 12:49 PM

Enthusiast
804 posts

QUOTE(nicholas_1213 @ Sep 7 2007, 09:42 PM)
Hehe, good saying.. and whenever we hear of this statement, something WHITE, and WHITE + ORANGE stuff will appear in our mind tongue.gif
sorry....
i don't get it....
what would be the "something WHITE, and WHITE + ORANGE stuff"?
guide me, plez....

thanks

muh_is
post Jun 14 2008, 10:17 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

maybe will be getting a philips SHP8900 next month.. or are there any other better headphones within that price?

btw, does a SHP8900 gives that much different in sound if using the onboard Realtek ALC888 8+2 Channel HD Audio, compared if using any good soundcards out there? and does using a head amp gives much better sounds for this model?
dlyz
post Aug 18 2008, 11:44 PM

Dynaudio
1,826 posts

Hi, was looking around at stores selling headpones and wonder what is the connection between a uncle wilson character, jaben.net and unclewilsons.com
Uzumaki NaruTo
post Aug 27 2008, 12:31 PM

oro?
4,185 posts

Hello seniors. Want to ask. Does the coating on the sponge thingy at this headphone http://www.audio-technica.com.hk/image/model/small/359_2.jpg lasts ? I have a philips headphone (Cant remember the name)before but after a while the coating on the sponge already fell off. Any tips to care the coating?
nimrod2
post Sep 2 2008, 10:32 AM

the imba one
2,521 posts

hmmmmm what would be a good or reasonable headphone for rm100 budget?

any ideas?

so far from what i read,
it would be the behringer HPM1000 which is less than rm100.

do u think that would be good enough for now, or should i save abit more money n get a better ones?
if yes, what would be the next range ah?

thanks biggrin.gif

** just read the older posts and saw someone got the HMP1000. hows the reviews ah?

This post has been edited by nimrod2: Sep 2 2008, 04:45 PM
Dry Pillow
post Sep 3 2008, 01:33 PM

On my way
593 posts

How many hours that required for Koss KSC 75 to be well burned? Anyone with idea?
nimrod2
post Sep 5 2008, 04:08 PM

the imba one
2,521 posts

hmmm no replies ah? i need to buy soon already cry.gif
walabies
post Sep 14 2008, 08:17 PM

6,402 posts

QUOTE(nimrod2 @ Sep 2 2008, 10:32 AM)
hmmmmm what would be a good or reasonable headphone for rm100 budget?

any ideas?

so far from what i read,
it would be the behringer HPM1000 which is less than rm100.

do u think that would be good enough for now, or should i save abit more money n get a better ones?
if yes, what would be the next range ah?

thanks biggrin.gif
** just read the older posts and saw someone got the HMP1000. hows the reviews ah?
maybe u can try get the philips first.
nimrod2
post Oct 7 2008, 05:37 PM

the imba one
2,521 posts

QUOTE(walabies @ Sep 14 2008, 08:17 PM)
maybe u can try get the philips first.
haha u guys replied too late. went with the behringer.

i think its quite okay for a budget headphones. that is after all what behringer is good for right?

biggrin.gif
jammie
post Oct 8 2008, 05:38 PM

11 posts

guys..
i am looking for the following headphone

ATH-WM5
audio technica

I am planning to purchase tis~

tats slim enuf n easy to keep xP

any user of WM5 or those who tried WM5 gimme some recommend?

thanks!!
nelz89
post Nov 12 2008, 10:27 AM

17 posts

Guy, can someone tell me which headphone is better?
- Koss KSC75
- Audio Technica T22
walabies
post Nov 13 2008, 09:50 PM

6,402 posts

A lot KSC75 fanz here.
bunyani
post Nov 16 2008, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
294 posts

but ksc75 hard to find..i go lyp also failed to search..anyone know where can get ?
Xplicit
post Nov 16 2008, 09:29 PM

12 posts