Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Will you spend 10k to go traveling? (Travel)

views

D-Tourist
post Jan 16 2010, 11:48 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

Well u won't know the joy of it until u been there, done that and come back loving it smile.gif BUt choose ur destination wisely... coz not all places really worth it. Myself, i believe japan is worth every cent of it. smile.gif Especially hokkaido.
vey99
post Jan 17 2010, 08:17 AM

Manyzer
2,851 posts

my last oversea trip was about RM10K.

hong kong 4d3n.

stimix
post Jan 17 2010, 09:27 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

ehhhh Not Banting meh?
??!!
post Jan 17 2010, 12:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,427 posts

QUOTE(??!! @ Jan 15 2010, 03:37 PM)
Itinerary :-

KLIA ----->Transit city of your Choice *----> US city of your Choice* ----->KLIA

*(Airport transit lounge only)

QUOTE(Mr.Wokayyy @ Jan 15 2010, 05:23 PM)
yup pretty much that. US city no la, 3d2n in US probably can go to hotel and walk 2 hours before back to hotel and fly back liao. 1/2 city  oso kenot see lol
QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 16 2010, 09:52 PM)
How to walk 2 hours wor, even just want to go and comeback immediately also not possible. Maybe walk 2 hours in the air port more like it.
See the * note on transit city and US city.

Now with the security checks at US airports due to latest security scare...maybe walk around duty free shops also not enuf time.
SUSMr.Wokayyy
post Jan 17 2010, 04:23 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

can la, got enuf time to walk to duty free shop buy 1 drink and drink inside airpot toilet
wlcling
post Jan 18 2010, 03:18 PM

Hippidy Hoppidy
2,692 posts

yup... enough for 1 person's expenditure when i went to Tromso, Norway.
a) Cheapest Flight to Oslo and then transit with cheapest budget flight to Tromso.
a) stay in bed & breakfast inn about 8 nights
b) have instant noodles for some meals
c) minimal shopping
tishaban
post Jan 18 2010, 10:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,595 posts

I guess I try to save up as much as possible beforehand and make sure that I can pay whatever extra I spend within 2-3 months. Yes I've spent way more than 10k before...

If you plan properly you can obviously save cost but I'm not the type to plan every single detail up front but that's a bit heavier on the wallet obviously. I didn't expect for example to be charged 12 euros for wifi access at my hotel this past weekend, a little bit more planning would've saved me that money but I just go with the flow...

arthurlwf
post Jan 19 2010, 01:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,544 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 14 2010, 03:03 PM)
Traveling around MY is fine as it's cheap. But what about going to US or UK or Japan and other countries. Those are expensive.

So, are you willing to spend 10k (for you and your partner) to go traveling? Because that 10k is for airplane ticket, hotel lodging, traveling fees, tickets and food only. That means 10k just gone like that.

For some people it is worth it but for some you get nothing (tangible) in the end.

Discuss....
TS, it's a different objective as memory will stay with you forever. And best since you're going with your partner. If you want to go budget, then go to those country that Air Asia is going to currently to save flight expenses. Most of the travel issue is due to flight expenses only.

Next main cost is the accommodation and you can browse http://www.hostelworld.com for good pricing accommodation with high rating. Alternatively, you can ask LYN icon_rolleyes.gif

And if you decided to go for the trip, try to enjoy the local food as much as possible

Btw, most of the people over here will say worth it. Try ask in Financial section, and you might get different answer.

This post has been edited by arthurlwf: Jan 19 2010, 01:50 AM
aichiban
post Jan 23 2010, 07:22 PM

pot yia thee keh tai lang!!
1,992 posts

Sometimes its not a matter of choice
Many places if you wanna go, you NEED to spend at least 10k, or dont go at all.

So if dun wanna spend XXX amount of money, cant travel to XXX place oredi
shady
post Jan 23 2010, 07:25 PM

The Real Slim Shady
2,818 posts

If you have extra money and don't know where to spend, I think it is worth spending on travelling. Travelling opens up our mind and you can meet people from around the world.
Blue07
post Jan 24 2010, 01:03 PM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Jan 14 2010, 03:20 PM)
I have spend 20k/30k per trip a few times but never regretted. The memory u get is eternity.......but we need to strike a balance , don't overspend on holidays  smile.gif
Agreed. I spent almost RM20k for 3 weeks in Europe last year (Euro was really expensive then!) and no regrets whatsoever. I think it's about what you're willing to spend, your style of travelling and what you think you can get out of it. No point spending just to say you've been to some place and then regretting it. I go to very few cities each trip so that I can absorb it. Doing 8-9 cities in 10 days is a no-no because then it's all a blur and I take nothing back with me. I plan my own itinerary and joining tours are very rare for me. I try to cut corners where possible but not to the extent of limiting my experience there.

Also I find that opening up an account specially for travelling helps. You know that money is meant to be spent on travelling so you feel less "sakit hati" when you spend it.

I think it's important to suss out what kind of traveller you are. I know that I'm not the backpacker/hostel type of traveller so I don't force myself to do it that way and end up not enjoying it. Some people love that style of travelling. I can't afford to be lavish either so it's about customizing my own trip. There are many, many options available to travellers. One just has to be diligent in doing the homework to be able to afford travel.

I'm also the type who doesn't mind paying entrance fees for the places I want to see but I balk at shopping. Often, people are incredulous that I didn't do a whole load of shopping when I travel but I hate shopping and spending on stuff like clothes, bags, shoes etc. I use my budget for entrance fees, splurging on the local cuisine at least a couple of times per city and for buying little souvenirs for myself and loved ones.

This post has been edited by Blue07: Jan 24 2010, 01:08 PM
SUSd3m0n
post Feb 1 2010, 05:24 AM

Just A Member
898 posts

Sure will. I love traveling and seeing other parts of the world. So 10k for seeing something that will or will not be there in the future is worth it.
bernardyong
post Feb 1 2010, 10:09 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

It all depends on where you're planning on going ain't it smile.gif RM10K for a trip to Europe won't get you much...but spend that money on an ASEAN destination and you can pretty much live like a King for a short while...lol.

But to answer ur question, yes its worth it....as long as you go with someone special wink.gif
Monya Meow Meow
post Feb 4 2010, 10:38 PM

100% Tiffanyfied
2,222 posts

Depends on where the destination is.
Had a fren who went to Alaska for that price to witness the Aurora.
I say worth it !
SecrET_of_RainBOw
post Feb 6 2010, 04:35 AM

Getting Started
201 posts

10k worth then... can visit many place thumbup.gif
akira de aimbuster
post Feb 6 2010, 01:52 PM

しごと~
3,498 posts

i dont mind spending 10k in japan nod.gif
wtm0325
post Feb 7 2010, 08:17 AM

1,796 posts

QUOTE(Blue07 @ Jan 24 2010, 01:03 PM)
Agreed. I spent almost RM20k for 3 weeks in Europe last year (Euro was really expensive then!) and no regrets whatsoever. I think it's about what you're willing to spend, your style of travelling and what you think you can get out of it. No point spending just to say you've been to some place and then regretting it. I go to very few cities each trip so that I can absorb it. Doing 8-9 cities in 10 days is a no-no because then it's all a blur and I take nothing back with me. I plan my own itinerary and joining tours are very rare for me.  I try to cut corners where possible but not to the extent of limiting my experience there.

Also I find that opening up an account specially for travelling helps. You know that money is meant to be spent on travelling so you feel less "sakit hati" when you spend it.

I think it's important to suss out what kind of traveller you are. I know that I'm not the backpacker/hostel type of traveller so I don't force myself to do it that way and end up not enjoying it. Some people love that style of travelling. I can't afford to be lavish either so it's about customizing my own trip. There are many, many options available to travellers. One just has to be diligent in doing the homework to be able to afford travel.

I'm also the type who doesn't mind paying entrance fees for the places I want to see but I balk at shopping. Often, people are incredulous that I didn't do a whole load of shopping when I travel but I hate shopping and spending on stuff like clothes, bags, shoes etc. I use my budget for entrance fees, splurging on the local cuisine at least a couple of times per city and for buying little souvenirs for myself and loved ones.
Exactly, totally agree thumbup.gif

Back then I used to backpack and couchsurf in 2008 with my gf, for travelling 25 days from London to France, Switzerland, Italy and Barcelona, our travelling cost is merely GBP1000/pax, exchange rate that time was ~MYR 6.00.

We plan the trip in real details, spent on local food, stay with local host, save unnecessary travelling cost, shopping and entrance fees. We were very much enjoying because it is similar to cultural exchange for our travelling style, we want to try living like the local people tongue.gif

Plus the go and return to Msia, it was ~MYR3500/pax so total ~RM10k

Whether it is 10k or not, if you think it's worth spending, you have no regret

SUSendau02
post Aug 2 2010, 04:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,180 posts

wif my salary atm, cant afford, later, y not? coz u worth it
pilotan
post Aug 2 2010, 09:13 PM

17 posts

definitely worth it, for me.

in fact im saving hard now, yes, my heart pinches a little thinking of how much car loan i could've paid with the amount.

but i guess nothing compares to the fabulous experience of seeing the world with ur own eyes =)
e-jump
post Aug 2 2010, 09:39 PM

┐( ¯3¯)┌
4,784 posts

i may not have spent 10k, but i've spend ~6k, twice, to japan for 9 days each..
japan is an expensive place, but the environment to was well worth to be in n feel
and i did it for my photography hobby as well...
rm6k? having set foot to CureFestival was worth it

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0311sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th January 2022 - 07:47 PM