Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Will you spend 10k to go traveling?

views

Vengeance_Mad
post Aug 3 2010, 09:48 AM

Aston-ishing
796 posts

QUOTE(wtm0325 @ Feb 7 2010, 08:17 AM)
Exactly, totally agree  thumbup.gif

Back then I used to backpack and couchsurf in 2008 with my gf, for travelling 25 days from London to France, Switzerland, Italy and Barcelona, our travelling cost is merely GBP1000/pax, exchange rate that time was ~MYR 6.00.

We plan the trip in real details, spent on local food, stay with local host, save unnecessary travelling cost, shopping and entrance fees. We were very much enjoying because it is similar to cultural exchange for our travelling style, we want to try living like the local people tongue.gif

Plus the go and return to Msia, it was ~MYR3500/pax so total ~RM10k

Whether it is 10k or not, if you think it's worth spending, you have no regret
How long ago was that?
GBP1k can last for 25 days so long ar.
gooni3
post Aug 3 2010, 10:09 AM

On my way
518 posts

yes once in a while
jam_lennon
post Aug 3 2010, 11:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,155 posts

QUOTE(??!! @ Jan 14 2010, 04:22 PM)
TS should re -word the question to

If you have the money, would you spend RM10k on  a trip?

Several years ago, our family of 5 used up Rm35k for 3 wks in NZ..it's was really good,  worth every sen of it...went river fishing, glacier walking, stay in log cabin & also a horse ranch etc .

Am planning a Norway tour ---to walk the glacier and do the fjords ...a 1 wk trip staying in tents, and basic forest cabins costs RM7k without food, air tkt and connection to/from the incoming city in Norway. Can't help it that some cities are expensive due to high cost of living.
thou 35k is a big sum, but if break down into number of days stay and per head it is reasonable to me. but of coz have 2 fork out 35k within 3 weeks i still feel very heart pain

if u have budget well, just like above mention, save 10% of your monthly income for a trip, i believe after 2-3y u can accumulate 10k worth money for a travel, reward urself in 2/3y once might be too hard/kedukut but at least u will appreciate it. however as for my current income, fork out 5k in a go for a trip still too hard for me >.<"
munkeyflo
post Aug 14 2010, 05:56 PM

Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon
Staff
2,728 posts

my parents doesn't seem to have a problem with that.
they bring us for yearly family trip that last around a month. and they go holiday overseas every month. they are never home for more than 2 weeks.

as long as you enjoy traveling and you have the money, i don't see why not.
tehtmc
post Aug 15 2010, 12:38 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(munkeyflo @ Aug 14 2010, 05:56 PM)
my parents doesn't seem to have a problem with that.
they bring us for yearly family trip that last around a month. and they go holiday overseas every month. they are never home for more than 2 weeks.

as long as you enjoy traveling and you have the money, i don't see why not.
You mean your parents are travelling half the time?
I guess you have to be wealthy and retired to be able to do that.
How I wish I can be like them!
Not many people have that type of money, time, stamina and the inclination to do it.
lycaphim
post Aug 15 2010, 02:30 PM

Getting Started
137 posts

I suppose when you are living on your credit cards by the end of the month, then of course you can't imagine travelling when you are stuck in an office cubicle making less than you spend.

As for me, I'm going to blow RM15k in one month for a nice trip to Europe. Oh, and I earn less than 2k per month.
munkeyflo
post Aug 15 2010, 09:57 PM

Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon
Staff
2,728 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Aug 15 2010, 12:38 PM)
You mean your parents are travelling half the time?
I guess you have to be wealthy and retired to be able to do that.
How I wish I can be like them!
Not many people have that type of money, time, stamina and the inclination to do it.
yea. they are travelling most of the time. especially with airasia now. they went to india like 2 or 3 times edi this year and are now currently in aussie/nz.
they're retired and they work hard to earn their money. so i guess it's like a reward to them to spend their hard earn money like that.
i also wanna be like them in the future. tongue.gif
Dannyl
post Aug 28 2010, 09:22 AM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

Me and my partner spent about 15k staying at Norway for about 3 weeks, and also 2 days at Germany on the transit back. She had training there and we saved quite a lot staying at her hotel, but I still had to pay for my own airfare (4k+), our transportation there (mostly trains), other hotel fares as we travel around, and food. It's crazy, but it's once in a lifetime, and now our 2nd kid is on the way and there's no such opportunities anymore... my own travelling to several Norwegian towns and sleeping purely on overnight trains (save time and hotel accommodations) is particularly memorable.

I'm not sure which is more expensive, Norway or Japan. Lonely Planet says its Norway. Roadside fish n chips already RM80. Normally who would want to travel there for vacation anyway... personally I feel Sweden would be a better choice for Scandinavia.
mr lappy
post Aug 29 2010, 02:12 AM

Casual
397 posts

i'd probably say norway, I was there a week, my first afternoon on just market food, cost me about an equivalent of 40 pound per person and all of it are snack sized lol.
coolie
post Aug 29 2010, 02:23 AM

Casual
347 posts

I believe everyone should work smart and hard and give themselves a treat from time to time. You don't need 10k to travel around if you really really do your research. Eg: you don't need Shangrila for your night stay or you don't have to dine in the hotel practically every night. YOu can always opt for street side food and that'll save you a whole bunch.

Some people may say that if you're already travelling, then make the best out of it, but going there blindly into expensive hotels doesn't give you the bang for bucks either. Make your research and I bet some guesthouse are just as great as those hotels. Not to mention, the street foods are good too smile.gif

Just one advice : do your research smile.gif
SUSBlackBanana
post Aug 29 2010, 04:08 AM

2 posts

only if the 10k is the bonus salary or strike lottery ..

i mean for working class ppl like me, 10k is quite useful in improving my life style to the more comfortable zone..because after paying the house/car etc installments with the monthly, no much left

I dont like spent a luxury week and suffer later on for months.

This post has been edited by BlackBanana: Aug 29 2010, 04:08 AM
cutiepooh
post Aug 29 2010, 03:05 PM

Casual
446 posts

For me, I think rm10k for me and my partner is worth to experience different cultures, lifestyle in Europe. I love to take a lot of pictures. I think it is good to spend this amount to experience and absorbing their cultures.

If you don't mind to stay in those budget hotels, and having 3 or 4 meals in fancy restaurants. I think that RM10k can even spend in shopping stuffs or to extend 2 or 3 days staying though.

I would rather spend the money to travel 2 years once , not to have more shopping in KL. This is only my personal point of view. But if I have to spend RM10k alone of cause I think that is still a little bit expensive for my own financial capability.

This post has been edited by cutiepooh: Aug 29 2010, 03:10 PM
quest_5692
post Aug 30 2010, 02:52 AM

yo chick, im not buaya
853 posts

im living in switzerland, went for a europe trip from the 1st day of my summer holiday till the last day, 2600 francs or about rm8k under backpacker style, foot stepped on 11 countries. worth every cent of it. well i cant afford business class as im only 18 and a high school student...im malaysian btw

to clear things up, norway is expensive, nuff said. XD even zurich ppl think its expensive...
fiolsn
post Aug 30 2010, 08:43 AM

Getting Started
135 posts

10k to exchange a different kind of LIFE experience..why not?...hehe
tracyjz
post Aug 30 2010, 12:02 PM

-Jay Jay-
1,059 posts

10k to spent for enjoying life is no problem for me..as long I capable to make it happen and i will do it smile.gif
cshong
post Aug 30 2010, 12:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,815 posts

According to the advertisement from travel agency, travel to Argentina need RM25k?
quest_5692
post Aug 30 2010, 02:46 PM

yo chick, im not buaya
853 posts

flight tickets to south america cost a bomb. MAS after discount is around rm15k return trip to costa rica....its because you need to transit twice i think...my friend 1st fly to amsterdam then north america then argentina...it takes near to 24 hour too..
tishaban
post Aug 31 2010, 03:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(quest_5692 @ Aug 30 2010, 02:46 PM)
flight tickets to south america cost a bomb. MAS after discount is around rm15k return trip to costa rica....its because you need to transit twice i think...my friend 1st fly to amsterdam then north america then argentina...it takes near to 24 hour too..
It's a long flight but RM15k is way too much. Go to kayak.com and check the prices there, you can get there for half the price.

wlcling
post Aug 31 2010, 06:01 PM

Hippidy Hoppidy
2,711 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Aug 28 2010, 09:22 AM)
Me and my partner spent about 15k staying at Norway for about 3 weeks, and also 2 days at Germany on the transit back.  She had training there and we saved quite a lot staying at her hotel, but I still had to pay for my own airfare (4k+), our transportation there (mostly trains), other hotel fares as we travel around, and food.  It's crazy, but it's once in a lifetime, and now our 2nd kid is on the way and there's no such opportunities anymore... my own travelling to several Norwegian towns and sleeping purely on overnight trains (save time and hotel accommodations) is particularly memorable.

I'm not sure which is more expensive, Norway or Japan.  Lonely Planet says its Norway.  Roadside fish n chips already RM80.  Normally who would want to travel there for vacation anyway... personally I feel Sweden would be a better choice for Scandinavia.
Norway is the bomb. But Tromso, a lovely little town is a great place to see the northern lights. blush.gif
zweimmk
post Oct 27 2010, 01:03 PM

On my way
512 posts

My trip to Italy (2 pax) - 3 weeks

Tickets: RM5260 total
Lodging: RM12,000 thereabouts
Eurail + seat reservation etc: RM2300
Food: RM2500
Car rental + insurance (1 day): Rm430

Excludes: Shopping

I think total probably close to RM35k to 40k region.

This post has been edited by zweimmk: Oct 27 2010, 01:04 PM

18 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0252sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:14 PM