Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Will you spend 10k to go traveling?

views

wtm0325
post Feb 7 2010, 08:17 AM

1,796 posts

QUOTE(Blue07 @ Jan 24 2010, 01:03 PM)
Agreed. I spent almost RM20k for 3 weeks in Europe last year (Euro was really expensive then!) and no regrets whatsoever. I think it's about what you're willing to spend, your style of travelling and what you think you can get out of it. No point spending just to say you've been to some place and then regretting it. I go to very few cities each trip so that I can absorb it. Doing 8-9 cities in 10 days is a no-no because then it's all a blur and I take nothing back with me. I plan my own itinerary and joining tours are very rare for me.  I try to cut corners where possible but not to the extent of limiting my experience there.

Also I find that opening up an account specially for travelling helps. You know that money is meant to be spent on travelling so you feel less "sakit hati" when you spend it.

I think it's important to suss out what kind of traveller you are. I know that I'm not the backpacker/hostel type of traveller so I don't force myself to do it that way and end up not enjoying it. Some people love that style of travelling. I can't afford to be lavish either so it's about customizing my own trip. There are many, many options available to travellers. One just has to be diligent in doing the homework to be able to afford travel.

I'm also the type who doesn't mind paying entrance fees for the places I want to see but I balk at shopping. Often, people are incredulous that I didn't do a whole load of shopping when I travel but I hate shopping and spending on stuff like clothes, bags, shoes etc. I use my budget for entrance fees, splurging on the local cuisine at least a couple of times per city and for buying little souvenirs for myself and loved ones.
Exactly, totally agree thumbup.gif

Back then I used to backpack and couchsurf in 2008 with my gf, for travelling 25 days from London to France, Switzerland, Italy and Barcelona, our travelling cost is merely GBP1000/pax, exchange rate that time was ~MYR 6.00.

We plan the trip in real details, spent on local food, stay with local host, save unnecessary travelling cost, shopping and entrance fees. We were very much enjoying because it is similar to cultural exchange for our travelling style, we want to try living like the local people tongue.gif

Plus the go and return to Msia, it was ~MYR3500/pax so total ~RM10k

Whether it is 10k or not, if you think it's worth spending, you have no regret

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0314sec    0.45    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM