Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Shoes for (real) men

views

shanjeev
post Nov 6 2019, 11:06 AM

Casual
396 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 6 2019, 08:55 AM)
I don’t remember Clarks being 200+ however I will drop by the outlet to check it out thanks!
I have been to Clarks but all their design kind on "uncleish". I find Tomaz to have better design but their shoe is as hard it could get.
coolguy99
post Nov 6 2019, 01:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,818 posts

QUOTE(shanjeev @ Nov 6 2019, 11:06 AM)
I have been to Clarks but all their design kind on "uncleish". I find Tomaz to have better design but their shoe is as hard it could get.
Yes I have the same opinion too. I like tomaz design but for some reason their shoes are so hard, makes it very difficult to put on also.
stfsoelyn
post Nov 6 2019, 04:22 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 6 2019, 01:06 PM)
Yes I have the same opinion too. I like tomaz design but for some reason their shoes are so hard, makes it very difficult to put on also.
Bata. Yes, I know, its blasphemy to mention that name in this forum, but they have a promotion at MidValley,
Made-In-Italy Real Leather shoes for RM299. But be warned, they have rubber soles, not in keeping with
the uppers. And likely cemented.
niakulah
post Nov 6 2019, 05:01 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(stfsoelyn @ Nov 6 2019, 04:22 PM)
Bata. Yes, I know, its blasphemy to mention that name in this forum, but they have a promotion at MidValley,
Made-In-Italy Real Leather shoes for RM299. But be warned, they have rubber soles, not in keeping with
I've recommended Bata numerous times in this thread as well. Might as well. Tomaz is also cemented, so same same....
coolguy99
post Nov 6 2019, 07:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,818 posts

QUOTE(stfsoelyn @ Nov 6 2019, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE(niakulah @ Nov 6 2019, 05:01 PM)
I've recommended Bata numerous times in this thread as well. Might as well. Tomaz is also cemented, so same same....
Thanks both I will check out Bata too. I googled what you guys meant by 'cemented' and it seems like a way of constructing your shoe.

'Cement construction involves a process where the upper part of your shoe is shaped and completed separately from the sole and the attached with adhesive and no welts or stitching.'

One cons that I read is that usually this type of shoe has a shorter lifespan?
heavyduty
post Nov 6 2019, 08:19 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 6 2019, 08:11 AM)
Is there any recommendation for budget shoe brand? I currently own a pair of hush puppies, looking into maybe tomaz?
I would recommend clarks too. Tomaz has the plastic shiny leather on their shoes which will eventually crack after a few wears.

Clarks price are a step above tomaz but mitsui outlet clarks are 200 and above. Or wait for clarks lazada sale, quite a few deals
shanjeev
post Nov 7 2019, 09:27 AM

Casual
396 posts

QUOTE(heavyduty @ Nov 6 2019, 08:19 PM)
I would recommend clarks too. Tomaz has the plastic shiny leather on their shoes which will eventually crack after a few wears.

Clarks price are a step above tomaz but mitsui outlet clarks are 200 and above. Or wait for clarks lazada sale, quite a few deals
I think Clarks price are reasonable as it's very comfortable to wear for long periods but just that design wise puke.gif.
coolguy99
post Nov 7 2019, 03:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,818 posts

QUOTE(shanjeev @ Nov 7 2019, 09:27 AM)
I think Clarks price are reasonable as it's very comfortable to wear for long periods but just that design wise  puke.gif.
Yeah I get what you are trying to say. As for tomaz they have very good design but in terms of comfort they are seriously lacking.

Their shoes are so hard it makes it difficult to put on. Wear it for hours I am sure you will get soreness after that.
niakulah
post Nov 8 2019, 09:31 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 7 2019, 03:25 PM)
Yeah I get what you are trying to say. As for tomaz they have very good design but in terms of comfort they are seriously lacking.

Their shoes are so hard it makes it difficult to put on. Wear it for hours I am sure you will get soreness after that.
I've never tried any Tomaz because just looking at them...they try to copy classic designs with their own twist and fail, and their leather quality is just not there. Only so much you can do at that price point...

But I am curious though, what do you mean by hard? The leather soles (if they have models with leather soles) are hard? Or the uppers are too stiff? Or something else.
coolguy99
post Nov 8 2019, 09:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,818 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Nov 8 2019, 09:31 AM)
I've never tried any Tomaz because just looking at them...they try to copy classic designs with their own twist and fail, and their leather quality is just not there. Only so much you can do at that price point...

But I am curious though, what do you mean by hard? The leather soles (if they have models with leather soles) are hard? Or the uppers are too stiff? Or something else.
By hard I am referring to the entire outer layer of the shoe. Not sure if it is the shoe model I tried on or their shoes are like that in general.

I tried like 3 pairs, don't feel comfortable walking with them on.
niakulah
post Nov 8 2019, 10:07 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 8 2019, 09:35 AM)
By hard I am referring to the entire outer layer of the shoe. Not sure if it is the shoe model I tried on or their shoes are like that in general.

I tried like 3 pairs, don't feel comfortable walking with them on.
Ah ok. The uppers are too stiff then.

The upper of a classic oxford is usually just an outer layer of leather, and an inner layer of lining (on better shoes the lining will be leather as well). Some places will have something (leather on only the highest end of shoes, most manufacturers use some form of plastic/cellastic) in between to stiffen them on some parts e.g. at the toe puff and heel counter.

Not all leathers are created equal. Cheaper shoe leathers tend to be stretchy so they need a significant amount of stiffening, which might be the case with Tomaz shoes.

Another approach is to deviate from the classic oxford design and pad the hell out of the shoe, a la Hush Puppies and co.
otnuus
post Nov 13 2019, 12:39 PM

Casual
377 posts

QUOTE(stfsoelyn @ Oct 25 2019, 10:02 AM)
I recently bought 2 pairs from shoetreeproject.com (they are Singapore based), for about RM258, inclusive of shipping, which works out to about RM129 per pair. They're supposedly made of "American Red Cedar". I have no way to confirm that, but they seem to be of good quality.
Muji also sells red Cedar shoe trees - they were RM 121 back in 2018, but they are single tube, as opposed to normal twin tube. These were made in China.
And then, of course, Lazada and Taobao also have cedar shoe trees.
This is my first time to get shoe tree. How do you get the size? They have a wide range of size options to choose. I drop them a question asking what is the correct size to get for Brannock size 9.5 but did not get a direct answer. I think it should be around 41-42. Will it be ok if the size is a little bit off?
niakulah
post Nov 13 2019, 02:21 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(otnuus @ Nov 13 2019, 12:39 PM)
This is my first time to get shoe tree. How do you get the size? They have a wide range of size options to choose. I drop them a question asking what is the correct size to get for Brannock size 9.5 but did not get a direct answer. I think it should be around 41-42. Will it be ok if the size is a little bit off?
Depends, the Brannock device used was in US or UK sizing? I've encountered both.
stfsoelyn
post Nov 13 2019, 02:55 PM

37 posts

On their website, they have a Sizing Guide which you can download, print out, and measure you feet with.

The ones they sell are split-toe shoe trees, and therefore have springs longitudinally and laterally, so I suppose
these will compensate for any small size differences (provided you don't buy several sizes too small!).

But anyway, you can exchange them if size is not correct.

This post has been edited by stfsoelyn: Nov 13 2019, 02:58 PM
otnuus
post Nov 13 2019, 03:02 PM

Casual
377 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Nov 13 2019, 02:21 PM)
Depends, the Brannock device used was in US or UK sizing? I've encountered both.
It is US size 9.5
yehlai
post Nov 13 2019, 11:31 PM

tree lover
4,492 posts

Shoetree project allows you to change size in case not fit
their customer service quite good, prompt reply

Just got my shoe tree, 42 bucks
Not cedar wood, but built quality not bad

This post has been edited by yehlai: Nov 13 2019, 11:37 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
coolguy99
post Nov 14 2019, 09:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,818 posts

QUOTE(yehlai @ Nov 13 2019, 11:31 PM)
Shoetree project allows you to change size in case not fit
their customer service quite good, prompt reply

Just got my shoe tree, 42 bucks
Not cedar wood, but built quality not bad
Do they have a physical store? I am going to sg next week and can probably get a pair.
stfsoelyn
post Nov 14 2019, 11:43 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Nov 14 2019, 09:34 AM)
Do they have a physical store? I am going to sg next week and can probably get a pair.
It seems they have a warehouse, but its only for those who want to self-collect online purchases

You can check it out here https://shoetreeproject.com/collection/
kl920930
post Nov 14 2019, 11:53 AM

mr. minibosskl
1,221 posts

usually what are the quality differences between those shopee non branded china and those more expensive branded shoe trees?

lets say rm40 vs rm150 type

the shape looks identical in pictures just have additional branding on the expensive ones.. is it worth the extra premium? lets say I'm only pairing the shoetree with a rm300-400 work shoe
yehlai
post Nov 16 2019, 03:30 PM

tree lover
4,492 posts

Anyone using Venetian shoe cream? really good review on it

289 Pages « < 267 268 269 270 271 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:20 PM