94 Pages « < 78 79 80 81 82 > » Bottom
Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Malaysia Import Duties

lennylsl
post Feb 2 2019, 05:32 PM

44 posts

Dear Experts,

I'm about to purchase a home alarm and this is a wifi powered system that comes in a form a circuit board. Total is about USD 200 which i guess i'll be taxed. i've tried to search on the tariffs website but not sure if i understand it correctly (attached). Can you guys kindly provide your valuable advise????

Any idea of how much the tax will be?

I might split this item into 2 shipping to make it below rm500 as an alternative though.

Thank you very much for your kind help. Cheers.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
ahgan91
post Feb 2 2019, 08:51 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(kherel77 @ Jan 31 2019, 09:50 PM)
IATA rate is use in duties/taxes calculation only. Not to pay the exact amount... doh.gif
Hahaha....btw, thank lot
Axelredan
post Feb 4 2019, 05:15 AM

Casual
369 posts

Hi just wanted to confirm. If I buy laptop from amazon will I have to pay any custom tax or import tax?

This post has been edited by Axelredan: Feb 4 2019, 05:15 AM
Rei7
post Feb 6 2019, 01:31 AM

Game, anime and headphones ❤️
1,665 posts

A friend of mine is from Switzerland and he wanted to send a laptop as a gift for my birthday soon. So I'm wondering if I have to pay tax for this gift.. just in case. Also it's a used laptop he got for free from his work place laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Rei7: Feb 6 2019, 01:39 AM
DEz012
post Feb 12 2019, 08:53 PM

On my way
569 posts

Hi,

Just bought a watch worth Rm 700 from Kuching ship to JB.

Right now item were Held by Custom (Import) KLIA Hub.

Does it mean, it will get tax ?

Still have not receive any calls or notice from them.
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 13 2019, 08:11 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

Hi guys, need advice. I bought some toys less than RM300 including shipping from Japan. Today I got an email from DHL saying I have to pay them RM100+ coz they helped settle custom tax for me. I called DHL to ask further, I told the operator lady my figures are less than RM500, shouldn't get taxed. The lady told me custom taxed me under "Tariff Code"(??).

Anyone knows what's that? Can custom tax sesuka hati like that?

Update:
I downloaded some documents related to this parcel from DHL website. There's no mention of this "tariff code", maybe the DHL lady was bullshitting me. Instead, I found out that custom changed my freight to RM320, the original shipping fee was 1800jpy (RM66) only. Seems like Malaysia is still the same even after the government has changed.

This post has been edited by SmokerBamboo: Feb 13 2019, 10:19 AM
andrekua2
post Feb 13 2019, 10:56 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(SmokerBamboo @ Feb 13 2019, 08:11 AM)
Hi guys, need advice. I bought some toys less than RM300 including shipping from Japan. Today I got an email from DHL saying I have to pay them RM100+ coz they helped settle custom tax for me. I called DHL to ask further, I told the operator lady my figures are less than RM500, shouldn't get taxed. The lady told me custom taxed me under "Tariff Code"(??).

Anyone knows what's that? Can custom tax sesuka hati like that?

Update:
I downloaded some documents related to this parcel from DHL website. There's no mention of this "tariff code", maybe the DHL lady was bullshitting me. Instead, I found out that custom changed my freight to RM320, the original shipping fee was 1800jpy (RM66) only. Seems like Malaysia is still the same even after the government has changed.
There is tariff code... it is not bullshit. Although your item may be cheap but because under declaration, the item falls under a category that is being subjected import duty, thus they will seek the value of the item in order to determine whether to tax and the amount buyer needs to pay. Therefore if there is no supporting documents like invoices (usually happen with gift), they will agak agak the value and ask shipper (in your case, it is DHL) the cost to ship the item from its origin country (usually it is bloated amount).

What I can suggest to you is walk in to Kastam office beside the OLD LCCT. Then give them supporting documents (invoice with free shipping) or explain to them its a gift or something. Most of the time they will just let you through (chop dilepaskan) if you can prove its value is insignificant. Shippers are usually looking for easy way to earn money because once you let them handle it, they will charge you a handling fee.

FYI, I seen someone getting toys gift and being subjected to import duty. Saw a lady receiving a box of minions from her sister in HK, but due to the quantity of the toys (she got like 40+), Kastam simply slap a figure of RM10 per figurine, that adds up and then add shipping fees estimate from shipper (bloated amount again), somehow the value got over RM500. Dont simply ship huge quantity thinking its gift and it will be no problem. Kastam deal with tens of thousands buyers who tried to get over their loopholes everyday. Sometimes I think better just forged an invoice and attach it just like what those Taobao seller are doing. Easier to pass Kastam clearance.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: Feb 13 2019, 11:03 AM
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 13 2019, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 13 2019, 10:56 AM)
There is tariff code... it is not bullshit. Although your item may be cheap but because under declaration, the item falls under a category that is being subjected import duty, thus they will seek the value of the item in order to determine whether to tax and the amount buyer needs to pay. Therefore if there is no supporting documents like invoices (usually happen with gift), they will agak agak the value and ask shipper (in your case, it is DHL) the cost to ship the item from its origin country (usually it is bloated amount).

What I can suggest to you is walk in to Kastam office beside the OLD LCCT. Then give them supporting documents (invoice with free shipping) or explain to them its a gift or something. Most of the time they will just let you through (chop dilepaskan) if you can prove its value is insignificant. Shippers are usually looking for easy way to earn money because once you let them handle it, they will charge you a handling fee.
Hi bro thanks for the reply.
1. There's invoice for this transaction as I bought it from online shop, i didn't declare as gift or whatsoever, so they should not have problem determining its value
2. As mentioned, I checked the document, they still declare the item values correctly (RM225), but they marked up the air freight to RM320 from RM66. I don't know who marked up the shipping fee but it's really pissing me off.

Any idea how I can ask them to reevaluate?
Thanks
andrekua2
post Feb 13 2019, 11:05 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(SmokerBamboo @ Feb 13 2019, 11:03 AM)
Hi bro thanks for the reply.
1. There's invoice for this transaction as I bought it from online shop,  i didn't declare as gift or whatsoever, so they should not have problem determining its value
2. As mentioned, I checked the document, they still declare the item values correctly (RM225), but they marked up the air freight to RM320 from RM66. I don't know who marked up the shipping fee but it's really pissing me off.

Any idea how I can ask them to reevaluate?
Thanks
If you got the invoice with shipping fee stated in the invoice, then just confront the officer with that. If the shipping fees is not stated, then thats when they get the bloated amount by asking your shipper aka DHL for an estimate.
TyroneS
post Feb 13 2019, 04:54 PM

Casual
429 posts

hello, planing to buy some bag worth 1,500usd from ebay
will it be taxed?
price around 1,500+200 deliver total of 1,700usd
i did check the tariff but did not shown import tax stuff?
hs 4202 is it?

This post has been edited by TyroneS: Feb 13 2019, 04:57 PM
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 14 2019, 07:03 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 13 2019, 11:05 AM)
If you got the invoice with shipping fee stated in the invoice, then just confront the officer with that. If the shipping fees is not stated, then thats when they get the bloated amount by asking your shipper aka DHL for an estimate.
Ahh... Now I see why. The shop didn't state the shipping in the invoice. I contacted DHL again and they said they'll check with the shop if the shop is willing to absorb the penalty because it's their fault for wrong declaration of value. Doubt they'll pay... Sigh

This post has been edited by SmokerBamboo: Feb 14 2019, 07:03 AM
andrekua2
post Feb 14 2019, 08:57 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(SmokerBamboo @ Feb 14 2019, 07:03 AM)
Ahh... Now I see why. The shop didn't state the shipping in the invoice. I contacted DHL again and they said they'll check with the shop if the shop is willing to absorb the penalty because it's their fault for wrong declaration of value. Doubt they'll pay... Sigh
That's why it's better to go there directly and nego nego.

From my personal experience, those who walk in usually walk away in smile. My dad usually gets a shipment of tea every year from far far away relatives in China. We have nothing at all. No shipping fees nor invoice. 50 small boxes which they gave a rough figure like RM10 per box. Then add shipping fees already over RM500 but we never had to pay since they finally relented after we gave our explanation. We even keep the shipping document over the years to backup they sent every year during cny as gifts.

Also different officer will treat you differently. My cousin once went there after his 4k monitor was held. First officer strictly want to impose duty but after he went to lunch, my cousin talk to another officer and managed to convince her to let him off scoot free.

Depends on your luck.
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 14 2019, 01:10 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 14 2019, 08:57 AM)
That's why it's better to go there directly and nego nego.

From my personal experience, those who walk in usually walk away in smile. My dad usually gets a shipment of tea every year from far far away relatives in China. We have nothing at all. No shipping fees nor invoice. 50 small boxes which they gave a rough figure like RM10 per box. Then add shipping fees already over RM500 but we never had to pay since they finally relented after we gave our explanation. We even keep the shipping document over the years to backup they sent every year during cny as gifts.

Also different officer will treat you differently. My cousin once went there after his 4k monitor was held. First officer strictly want to impose duty but after he went to lunch, my cousin talk to another officer and managed to convince her to let him off scoot free.

Depends on your luck.
I see... Thanks for the tips, but I used DHL shipping. DHL will "help" you to settle the payment without asking you beforehand. They charge additional RM 50 for the "help" they offered. That's why the tax already paid an DHL is now asking the Japan shop to pay on behalf. If the shop refuses, then I'll have to pay 🙄
andrekua2
post Feb 14 2019, 01:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(SmokerBamboo @ Feb 14 2019, 01:10 PM)
I see... Thanks for the tips, but I used DHL shipping. DHL will "help" you to settle the payment without asking you beforehand. They charge additional RM 50 for the "help" they offered. That's why the tax already paid an DHL is now asking the Japan shop to pay on behalf. If the shop refuses, then I'll have to pay 🙄
Are you sure? Normally when you want to use their service, they will require you to sign a slip with your ic number to appoint them as representative.
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 14 2019, 02:14 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 14 2019, 01:32 PM)
Are you sure? Normally when you want to use their service, they will require you to sign a slip with your ic number to appoint them as representative.
Yeap I'm sure, this is the second time they "pay on behalf" without consulting me. It happened to me last time when I purchased figures just slightly above RM500 (RM505+ if not mistaken, guess I have bad luck)
DHL even put this in their website:

To ensure the DHL courier can deliver your goods in shortest possible time after entering your country or customs union, DHL pays the customs authority on your behalf for any duties and taxes that are due on the goods.

Source: DHL Duties and Taxes

This post has been edited by SmokerBamboo: Feb 14 2019, 02:14 PM
andrekua2
post Feb 14 2019, 03:16 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(SmokerBamboo @ Feb 14 2019, 02:14 PM)
Yeap I'm sure, this is the second time they "pay on behalf" without consulting me. It happened to me last time when I purchased figures just slightly above RM500 (RM505+ if not mistaken, guess I have bad luck)
DHL even put this in their website:

To ensure the DHL courier can deliver your goods in shortest possible time after entering your country or customs union, DHL pays the customs authority on your behalf for any duties and taxes that are due on the goods.

Source: DHL Duties and Taxes
I see. I think you are slightly unlucky. I only had one encounter with DHL when I bought a headphone via Massdrop. Total including shipping is USD 145 (3.60 rate) actually exceed RM500 but it was dilepaskan.
SmokerBamboo
post Feb 16 2019, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 14 2019, 03:16 PM)
I see. I think you are slightly unlucky. I only had one encounter with DHL when I bought a headphone via Massdrop. Total including shipping is USD 145 (3.60 rate) actually exceed RM500 but it was dilepaskan.
Yeah, really bad luck. Anyway thanks for your help bro. I'll update here if anything worth updating, for reference of others
neooren
post Feb 18 2019, 09:30 AM

Getting Started
237 posts

hi, the <RM500 rules no tax or import duties applicable to all item or certain item only?

Ordered some used car spare part (ABS/VSA modulator/pump) from japan total include delivery USD113 (RM462).

Anyone know it falls under which category/code?

meemaggie
post Feb 25 2019, 07:43 AM

33 posts

i already got 2 parcel detain this month. feels like custom detain all parcel coming in now. tax not cheap even when rm400++ item u say 10% tax but u get charge rm150. by the way car spare part sure got tax.
K4iz3n
post Feb 26 2019, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

I bought caps from UK totalling GBP109. In Malaysia its been handled by M Xpress. They have email me and said that Customs Duty, SST, clearence and handling charges totals to RM169. Surely I cant be paying 30% of the value of the items?

94 Pages « < 78 79 80 81 82 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:51 PM