16 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Professional engineer status

views

JoeWong
post Apr 25 2008, 03:26 AM

1 posts

Dear all,
Through referral link arrived here... Such a fantastic discussion over here. smile.gif

Hoping that the following posting is sufficiently clear your doubt.
Practicing Engineering & Route To Professional Engineer in MALAYSIA

I am registered PE (under BEM) in MALAYSIA as well as Corporate Member of IEM.
Those, i have Ir. in front of my name and Engr below my name.

I just copy some responses to queries raised by Young Engineer

What're the PROs & CONs as PE ?
If you are good and fit engineer, you shall progress yourself to PE status. NO QUESTION on PROs and CONs. You should not give yourself a choice because you called yourself ENGINEER.

Read more about "ENGINEER" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer

I guess the PROs would be...
i) Continuing development...this is part of life regardless of engineer or other profession
ii) Practising engineer oversea...It may be a "passport" to obtain PE status in other country...
iii) Job requirement...e.g. LEAD PROCESS ENGINEER in an OIL & GAS project required Professional engineer. Now PREFERABLE still keeps in the spec...I believe it will be removed soon. (and become MANDATORY)
iv) Promotion...(iii) set one of the requirement for promotion to Senior, lead, principal, management level...in establish company like SHELL, TECHNIP, etc.
Others would be gain extra respect, self satisfaction, role model, etc...which is more individual related...

You may think this is "CON" (infact it should be PRO...)
If you have acquired your PE status, your SHALL fulfill the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) e.g. maintain accumulating 50 CPD hours per year on average over 3 years...
CPDDetails...read here - http://www.bem.org.my/cpd/19sept2005/cpdcircular1-2005.doc

Why should i register to BEM if i practising engineering in MALAYSIA ?
First and the essential step is if your are practising engineering in any aspect, it is mandatory to register yourself as Graduates engineer to BEM. This is govern by ACT !
I know many practising engineers ignore this...PLEASE register yourself to BEM as Graduate engineer. Otherwise you are ILLEGAL workforce !!!

BEM ? IEM ??
BEM is government body
- authority to ensure all practising engineer in compliance to MALAYSIA's LAW in engineering related. Once you are certified by BEM, you are Professional Engineer (PE) and you can apply Ir. in front of you name i.e. PhD holder with title of Dr.

IEM is professional body
- a body promote professionalism and encourage continuous learning. Provide professional opinion to BEM whenever required. NO authority at all in legal terms. Once you are approved by IEM as member, you are Corporate member of IEM and you can apply ENGR at the end or below you name.

Authority organization (BE, UK ?) in UK...(those who know, please furnish here)
- Similar to BEM...law related stuff. Once you are certified, you are PE.

IChemE - Professional body similar to formal IJKM (Institute Jurutera Kimia Malaysia) or MIEM (not 100%)
- works on promoting professionalism. Once you are approved, you are Chartered Engineer, CE if not mistaken

Again, THERE's NO ACKNOWLEDGMENT and AGREEMENT between them.

P.S. : Recently IChemE is has raised some discussion with IEM on this issue...however there's not conclusion.

$$$ ???
An engineer...RM4000-6000 ? A good and fit engineer can get 5 figure (per month) income...
Being a PE would be a "guideline" to other who don't know you. BUT, this does not mean a PE is always a good engineer.

Hope above helps.

JoeWong
Chemical & Process Technology
MonkeyEggBalls
post May 18 2008, 03:57 PM

35 posts

Joe, that helps. Thanks, and that's probably why there's no more discussion. smile.gif
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:05 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

any1 in besides me?
SUSDavid83
post May 18 2008, 10:05 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(SeLrAhC @ May 18 2008, 10:05 PM)
any1 in besides me?
You want to become a PE or what?
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:07 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

i am in already lar... jsut want to know people that are in... so when got talks maybe can go together
SUSDavid83
post May 18 2008, 10:09 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(SeLrAhC @ May 18 2008, 10:07 PM)
i am in already lar... jsut want to know people that are in... so when got talks maybe can go together
Under which engineering branch? Civil?

Perhaps you could coach us who are interested to be one of them.
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:12 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

mechanical... i am not a PE yet.. lacking experience... i am in the GnS section only...
SUSDavid83
post May 18 2008, 10:13 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(SeLrAhC @ May 18 2008, 10:12 PM)
mechanical... i am not a PE yet.. lacking experience... i am in the GnS section only...
I wanted to join IEM but lazy to fill those forms. tongue.gif

Already worked for two years and still haven't get myself register with IEM.
Babablacksheep
post Jul 2 2008, 09:02 PM

Enthusiast
852 posts

If my company doesn't have any recognized PE (IR), what would be my route to gain a PE status myself?
CityChan
post Jun 20 2009, 11:21 PM

1 posts

Any Ir. in the field of civil engineering?
I am a fresh graduated engineer.
could u guys please tell me the clear procedures in order to get Ir.
I've go through BEM website but not really clear.
What kind of Exam we have to sit for? In design? By laws? softwares knowledge?
sungami
post Jun 21 2009, 01:17 AM

25 posts

There are two ways to become a professional engineer in Malaysia:

a) Through BEM ===> By sitting for their PAE (Professional Assessment Examination)

- In order to be able to sit for their PAE you MUST have a minimum of 3 years of working experience.

- Your 3 years of working experience ONLY STARTS counting after you have registered with the BEM.

- Eg. In the year 2009 you have been effectively working for 10 years but you have registered with the BEM only in 2008. That means you only
have 1 year of working experience in their clock. Therefore, all fresh graduates please register with the BEM ASAP after your graduation. It is
supposed to be illegal for you to work in the capacity of an engineer without a registration with the BEM.

- The second requirement before you can sit for their PAE is to complete 60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP (Professional
Development Programme). PS: My abbreviation for PDP may be wrong.

- Once you have sat and passed the PAE you will gain your P.Eng and hence, entitled to use the title Ir.
Eg. Ir. Dr. Jeffrey Han B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), P.Eng

b) Through IEM ===> By sitting for their PI (Professional Interview)

- Before even talking about the PI, a fresh graduate is encouraged to register with the IEM as a graduate engineer. Once you have registered with
the IEM as a graduate engineer, you are entitled to the title Engr. As simple as that.
Eg. Engr. Dr. Jeffrey Han B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), GM.I.E.M

- Once you are a graduate member, you can then proceed on to become their corporate member which consists of the bulk of the IEM membership.
Note: It is not mandatory to become a graduate member first before becoming a corporate member.

- In order to become a corporate member, you have to first sit for the PI.
Note: The PAE by BEM is EXACTLY the same as the PI by IEM. In fact the PAE is run by the same people that organizes the PI.

- In order to be able to sit for the PI, applicants SHOULD have at least a minimum of 3 years of working experience. It will be virtually
impossible to pass the PI if you have less than 3 years of working experience since you will most probably have insufficient materials to be put in
your report.
Note: It is not necessary to become a graduate member first before you can sit for the PI and there is no IEM clock that counts your working
experience. If you have been working for 10 years, you will then have 10 years of working experience as far as IEM is concerned.

- Once you have sat and passed the PI, you are entitled to use the title Engr. (Same title as the graduate engineer)
Eg. Engr. Dr. Jeffrey Han B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), M.I.E.M

- Once you have your Engr. (M.I.E.M) you can then proceed to top up with the Ir (P.Eng) from BEM. There are two scenarios:

===> If you have not registered with the BEM, go register with them and wait three years before getting your P.Eng. You must also complete the
60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP.

===> If you have registered with the BEM and have three years of woking experience according to their clock, you can get your P.Eng.
immediately. You must also complete the 60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP.

Once scenario 1 and 2 are covered, you will have the privillege to use the titles:
Eg. Ir. Dr. Jeffrey Han B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), P.Eng, M.I.E.M ===> Normally people will use Ir. only if they have both the
Ir. and Engr.

Notes:
1) If you have to approve or/and submit layouts/designs to the approving authortity, P.Eng is mandatory. But if you are working in the manufacturing sector for instance, you can opt just for the M.I.E.M. Getting either/both the P.Eng or the M.I.E.M is a great personal satisfaction if you ask me and they look absolutely fabulous on your resume smile.gif .

2) Once you get your P.Eng from BEM, you will have to renew your "license" every year in order to be able to continue to use the title Ir. Before you can renew your license, you must complete 40 hours (I may be wrong) of CPD (Continuous Professional Development).

3) Feel free to add/correct my points as necessary.

This post has been edited by sungami: Jun 21 2009, 01:23 AM
Enferno
post Jun 24 2009, 08:25 PM

Casual
468 posts

QUOTE(David83 @ May 18 2008, 10:13 PM)
I wanted to join IEM but lazy to fill those forms. tongue.gif

Already worked for two years and still haven't get myself register with IEM.
U register with BEM and not IEM.. a lot of ppl tend to confuse on this two body.
showkun
post Jul 19 2009, 11:43 PM

4 posts

I'm already registered as graduate member with BEM. Should I register with IEM too?

So I should work my way towards Ir with BEM or Engr with IEM? Or both??

If both Ir and Engr have the same function, why bother paying membership fees to two bodies? I'm kinda confused here @_@
stranger2nd
post Aug 4 2010, 03:17 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(showkun @ Jul 19 2009, 11:43 PM)
I'm already registered as graduate member with BEM. Should I register with IEM too?

So I should work my way towards Ir with BEM or Engr with IEM? Or both??

If both Ir and Engr have the same function, why bother paying membership fees to two bodies? I'm kinda confused here @_@
ya, i oso wanna ask the same questions....
what is the difference between these 2 bodies?
how to apply as a graduate engineer in BEM?
i thought that the university that we had studied would straight apply for us as the graduate engineers, once we have finished the engineering courses?

This post has been edited by stranger2nd: Aug 5 2010, 08:35 AM
bobby1988
post Aug 5 2010, 09:18 AM

Getting Started
181 posts

I graduated from University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus as BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering. BEM does not accredited this programme, they only accredited MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering which is one year longer.

So, in order for me to gain accreditation from BEM, I will need some further study, I already enrolling in PhD study in the same university while working as engineer full time.

Question is : After I graduate, am I eligible to gain accreditation from BEM ?

Note : I already try to ask them regarding this, no reply so far.
dyso
post Oct 5 2010, 05:09 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(khinfai @ Aug 5 2010, 09:18 AM)
I graduated from University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus as BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering. BEM does not accredited this programme, they only accredited MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering which is one year longer.

So, in order for me to gain accreditation from BEM, I will need some further study, I already enrolling in PhD study in the same university while working as engineer full time.

Question is : After I graduate, am I eligible to gain accreditation from BEM ?

Note : I already try to ask them regarding this, no reply so far.
The best way is for you to call them straight to registration department. Not only they going to brief you she@he will give a a straight forward answer as a guideline. Called them to expedite my registration and now i'm registered on both. But yet still blur on the subject for PE plus i have disadvantages since working in less technical area tho still related.

Awakened_Angel
post Oct 5 2010, 05:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,703 posts

QUOTE(dyso @ Oct 5 2010, 06:09 PM)
The best way is for you to call them straight to registration department. Not only they going to brief you she@he will give a a straight forward answer as a guideline. Called them to expedite my registration and now i'm registered on both. But yet still blur on the subject for PE plus i have disadvantages since working in less technical area tho still related.
I graduated from Uni of Leeds.. 2+1 programme... called them to join, but was turn down.. reason? Leeds was accredated, but my duration was not. Plus now I`m with my family business, so PE is just an intangible dream for me.

the main criteria is not your qualifications... but constant learning, join courses, conference, training, technical briefing by manufacturers that was recegnized by BEM... and not forgeting.. you need to work under a PE as your mentor

Added on October 5, 2010, 5:14 pm
QUOTE(CityChan @ Jun 21 2009, 12:21 AM)
What kind of Exam we have to sit for? In design? By laws? softwares knowledge?
more holistic exam of engineering..........

me lecturer said 4-10 people passed out of 100 people who sit for the exam

This post has been edited by Awakened_Angel: Oct 5 2010, 05:14 PM
dyso
post Oct 5 2010, 05:23 PM

33 posts

I got one simple question and wanted to confirm this.

Below is my situation :

BEM : Reg and approved on JULY 2009
IEM : Reg and approved on JULY 2010

So there 3 years of 50CPD per year av, is accounted from JULY 2010 or JULY 2008?

bernardryan
post Oct 25 2010, 01:08 PM

bench warmer
662 posts

QUOTE(dyso @ Oct 5 2010, 05:23 PM)
I got one simple question and wanted to confirm this.

Below is my situation :

BEM : Reg and approved on JULY 2009
IEM : Reg and approved on JULY 2010

So there 3 years of 50CPD per year av, is accounted from JULY 2010 or JULY 2008?
For you to take the Professional Assessment Examination (PAE), you have to be registered with BEM for 3 years. IEM is just a society of engineers. BEM is the regulatory board.

There are 2 ways to obtain your PE (Ir.).

1) Mentoring system, this way you have to become a graduate member with IEM and request them to assign you a mentor. For the next 3 years, quarterly, you will have to meet up with your Mentor and discuss what you've learnt over the past 3 months. And also fill up your log book. Very very tedious system but sure way for you to learn throughout your 3 years.

2) Submitting a design report - After 3 years of experience (usually 5 years would be a good time to apply), you will have to fill in the necessary forms and write 2 reports. 1 report would be the Experience report of what you've done throughout your working life, sort of like a resume. The other report is the design report which during your working career, you choose a project that you were involved in and write about that. So it can be anything from designing a pump system for mechanical engineers, designing a water treatment plant for chemical engineers, etc. Then you submit both your reports to your Interviewer and then you will go for the interview where you will be questioned on the design report just to make sure that you didn't copy it. Depending on the interviewer, you might just fail there and then if you don't know basic stuff. After the interviewer is satisfied, you will be required to write 2 essays. 1 with regards to your design report and 1 from the Code of Ethics.

Let me know if you need help. I hope I didn't confuse anyone further.

For me, I never was an IEM member until i sat for my PAE. So I actually applied to become a Corporate Member instead of the normal process of converting your Graduate membership to a corporate membership. I didn't see the need to waste my money for 3 years when my company would pay for me if i wanted to go for trainings hosted by IEM.

smile.gif
engrfeez
post Nov 23 2010, 02:47 PM

Ironman
316 posts

My position right now is QA Engineer. I'm not sure it is related if i can pursue to go for PI since the engineering path is very minimum compare with quality side.

My fren who already in IEM told me that i can't go to profesional engineer since i was in quality department however for info my background was Mechanical Engineering.

16 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0150sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:44 AM