Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Professional engineer status

views

SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 10 2008, 11:20 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

usually those who wants the status are in design or consultantcy... however i would suggest any engineer to go for it... no harm.. at least to show you are qualified enough in your field...

ermmm ... any position also can.. depending how much experience he have lor...
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 12 2008, 12:46 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(iDk @ Apr 11 2008, 12:05 AM)
As i know, Malaysia called it IR, USA called it PE, and so on with other countries will have their own title of professional engineer. Which mean if you are IR at Malaysia, and you go to USA, you cannot call yourself professional engineer unless you receive title from them. So basically IR only worth value in Malaysia. But again, you should compare the IR title with other professional certificate, i think those certificates are much more useful and help a lot in career.
no lar... PE means professional engineer... u put the Ir. in front of ur name fot title sake... zzzzzzzzz... you can put the Ir. in front of ur name when u r a PE...

US dont recognize any1's PE status... in the states, every single state have their own institution.. so it is diff there, eg if u have ur PE status from alaska you still can practice there.... visit ncees' website for more info

wherelse IMechE/IEEE UK & IAust recgonizes it but u need some interview to pratice...

QUOTE(kennykck @ Apr 12 2008, 12:27 AM)
Will the IR status expired after a certain period? Meaning have to retake the examination again to obtain the status. Also, is it wise to go for chartered eng instead of IR (meaning is it really worth the effort? I know chartered eng exam is alot more toughter but higher status)
nope... but you have to get enough CPD points/year to maintain it...

no... CEng in msian terms and also UK are for those that have difficulties getting an academic degree... therefore they sit exams set by the board to be certified... and no.. it is not higher status... if you look at those that got their CEng you will know...
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 12 2008, 01:24 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(iDk @ Apr 12 2008, 01:20 AM)

Added on April 12, 2008, 1:21 am
I lazy to read those terms. Just put it the easy way for everyone to know.

To sum things for conclusion. If you are an IR in Malaysia, do you still IR or PE in US or other countries without sitting any paper, interview or whatsoever program that country need? If no, then the IR in Malaysia can ONLY BE USE in Malaysia as easy as that! Dont tell need to wait for this and that, take this paper and that, no means no.
depends on how u say 'use it'... if it is for approving designs then no country will recognize another countries' PE then because standard n laws are different from country to country... if u mean 'use it' for being a consultant and giving ideas... then you maybe 'use it' ... most of the time we talk a bout approving designs and consultation... approving stuff depends on government policies... wherelse recognition for consultation knowledge depends on the professional institution..
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 12 2008, 01:42 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(iDk @ Apr 12 2008, 01:26 AM)
For your sake, what do they call professional engineer in U.S?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_engineer
did u check the source... dont use wikipedia to source things not good.. use the source wikipedia uses... ncees website

if u talk title. they put P.E. there in their academic qualifications together with BSc/BEng...

in america there are diff steps to be a PE... 1st step is to be a FE.... dont tell me u go put FE in front of ur name meh... in the US it is more complicated as it differs from state to state... check out ncees' website for more info...

most US PEs dont usually put P.E. with their names... even if they do... they put it at the back of their names.. but that will be confused with their middle name... so they just ignore it..

eg
Cindi Christenson, P.E

http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensing_b.../california.php

for msia...

Ir. Chow Kuai Toew
BEng (hons), Phd Eng., PEng.

not

PEng/PE. Chow Kuai Toew
BEng, Ir.

but some msian PE uses Engr. to know the diff check out IEM's website
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 12 2008, 05:00 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

important or not doesnt matter... no harm getting it right? phds or masters are academic degrees...

getting extra recognition can only show how good you are ^^

u must be working in msia ^^
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 13 2008, 10:54 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(ibmsege @ Apr 13 2008, 09:28 AM)
for engineering especially in microelectronics industry, getting IEEE recognized is more important.. write more paper and publish in IEEE man! most of the US engineering firm has their own technical recognition mechanism... staff engineer -> principle engineer -> fellow.... that is more important then other stuff...
if u r in msia i would recommend not to join IMechE/IEEE because you will be paying full membership fees and there wont be much activities for you... just join IEM because most of the activities are still runned together with IEM
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 16 2008, 11:44 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(ibmsege @ Apr 13 2008, 12:13 PM)
nope, i'm not in msia but in the states.. for microelectronics, IEM is not much useful compare to IEEE...  and IR is useless for microelectronics engineer too.. IEEE more important for us
biggrin.gif
i see... yea.. usually PE status are for more of the tradional based stuff rather than the more technological stuff... maybe IEEE is not a bad thing after all
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 25 2008, 12:43 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(kb2005 @ Apr 22 2008, 10:37 PM)
Just the name. Not necessary will get high pay! biggrin.gif
in msia... it is sad

QUOTE(Archiou @ Apr 24 2008, 10:30 PM)
"With great power comes great responsibility."
-- Dialogue from "Spider-Man"

In tis PE thread, the above statement is true!
Plus 1 more: Not necessary will get high pay!

So wat's the point to get PE at the 1st place?
Personal satisfaction? higher social status? wat else?
to extend ur name longer by 3 characters XD
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:05 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

any1 in besides me?
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:07 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

i am in already lar... jsut want to know people that are in... so when got talks maybe can go together
SUSSeLrAhC
post May 18 2008, 10:12 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

mechanical... i am not a PE yet.. lacking experience... i am in the GnS section only...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0319sec    0.08    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:53 AM