Ask my anything about tires, I am a tire engineer

views

light_up
post Jul 11 2022, 06:17 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(epjx31 @ Jul 10 2022, 06:42 PM)
Hey guys,

As some of you have seen me posted before, I am a tire engineer working for one of the top 4 premium manufacturer. I write mostly about tires on my blog here https://toptirereview.com/. My ultimate goal is to enable consumers to make a more knowledgeable decision when it comes to buying tires and I hope I can do so by using my website as a medium of information.

Anyways, since I am bored and its Sunday, I would take questions related to tires.

Feel free to ask any questions in regards to tires and I will try to answer as good as I can.

Thanks!
hi, i'm an ex tire compound r&d engineer in Giti, mind to share which tire company u r working with?
ktek
post Jul 11 2022, 06:25 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(light_up @ Jul 11 2022, 06:17 PM)
hi, i'm an ex tire compound r&d engineer in Giti, mind to share which tire company u r working with?
u guys can be expertz here rclxms.gif
ktek
post Jul 11 2022, 06:26 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jul 11 2022, 03:24 PM)
Why tyre shop ask me to rotate my tyres for a fee, when they're already rotating everyday when I drive?
coe684 is cute most of d times. u can ignore them rotate is happenning whenever u drives
kkm
post Jul 11 2022, 06:47 PM

Regular
1,192 posts

Why tyre shop ask me to rotate my tyres for a fee, when they're already rotating everyday when I drive?
This is a fantastic question! Best so far...
TSepjx31
post Jul 11 2022, 06:51 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Jul 11 2022, 03:18 PM)
Will upsizing from 185/55 R16 to 205/50 R16 affect in fuel economy and car acceleration assuming using the same wheels

I believe this is due to larger size but from online calculator it was way below (seems like the perfect size to upsize to) the 3 percent threshold (+0.25%) over 185/55 tires.
In terms of size effects, there is no big difference in terms of rolling resistance coefficient of your 2 sizes. <3%. If you somehow fit this on your vehicle assuming you have +20mm more space width, you are ok. Outer diameter only differs 2.5mm.

Regarding car acceleration, you have a wider front contact patch (205 vs 185) this is helpful in wet braking. But in terms of dry it should not matter.

TSepjx31
post Jul 11 2022, 06:55 PM

16 posts

Sounds like a joke to me but its quite funny so I will entertain.

What they meant is just switching the front tires with the rear tires due to your traction tire (usually the front) bears the most wear as it has to the heavy digging.

If you want to know more you can check out here as I wrote about why we should do tire rotation.
MrBaba
post Jul 11 2022, 06:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,123 posts

They say dragon fruit sap can patch tyre up true ?
TSepjx31
post Jul 11 2022, 06:59 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(MrBaba @ Jul 11 2022, 06:58 PM)
They say dragon fruit sap can patch tyre up true ?
Definitely not true.
IamAHuman
post Jul 11 2022, 10:03 PM

Casual
339 posts

Are China made tyres getting more competitive nowadays? If so, for an average daily driver, it would be wiser to gk for China made tyres?
TSepjx31
post Jul 12 2022, 12:01 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jul 11 2022, 10:03 PM)
Are China made tyres getting more competitive nowadays? If so, for an average daily driver, it would be wiser to gk for China made tyres?
From the results I see, they are catching up. Big brands such as ling long is relatively ok. But if budget is your constraint, you might as well got for the 2nd brands from the top manufacturers like Dunlop. They provide much more value than the China brands.
minizian
post Jul 12 2022, 09:37 AM

Regular
1,053 posts

QUOTE(epjx31 @ Jul 11 2022, 06:51 PM)
In terms of size effects, there is no big difference in terms of rolling resistance coefficient of your 2 sizes. <3%. If you somehow fit this on your vehicle assuming you have +20mm more space width, you are ok. Outer diameter only differs 2.5mm.

Regarding car acceleration, you have a wider front contact patch (205 vs 185) this is helpful in wet braking. But in terms of dry it should not matter.
Thanks for the reply, I am not sure if my 6.5J wheel will be able to fit 205/50 wheels or not.

Tire shop person said cant fit while checking online the minimum width is 5.5J. Not sure who is correct who is wrong, they say its okay to fit 195/50R16 inside but the speedo will be off quite a bit icon_question.gif

Hard to find good fitting third wheels since the stock wheels are not common offset unless go full custom which is not cheap.

Not sure if this is under your field or not.

Also, not sure which tire co your are in but I noticed some of tire brand model have different country of origin. Eg Pilot Sport 4 was made in France while the ST model was made Thailand. Likewise the same goes to Falken which certain model was made in Turkey while SEA model were made in Thailand. I believe Goodyear & Pirelli also hade made in China model & European made.

Are the quality same between country of origin for the same model of tires?

This post has been edited by minizian: Jul 12 2022, 09:37 AM
IamAHuman
post Jul 12 2022, 11:17 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(epjx31 @ Jul 12 2022, 12:01 AM)
From the results I see, they are catching up. Big brands such as ling long is relatively ok. But if budget is your constraint, you might as well got for the 2nd brands from the top manufacturers like Dunlop. They provide much more value than the China brands.
thanks for the advise. I was using almost all brands as I like to feel other makes of 'donus'. Somehow, If you are an average daily driver within town, I feel that there are next to no difference in terms of wet and dry handling. Even stopping also feels the same. Mind you that I tried tyres from top notch brands such as Michelin PS4s, PS4, Primacy 4, Turanza, PZeros to mid range such as Hankook V12evo2, Dunlop Maxx 050+ to budget range such as Dunlop D05, Firestone, etc etc.

Of course these top brands gives you some sense of 'security' but I really wonder whether it's really worth while to 'invest' in top brands. The reason I'm saying this is that because you can see some common defects in top brands such as Michelin PS4 rubber tends to 'peel off' at the thread or GY Asym and Pirellis that are well known of it's lump at the sidewalls etc etc.

sume2t
post Jul 12 2022, 02:26 PM

36 posts

Good thread!
My question - sometimes the tires (esp front) doesn't inflate at petrol stations, but all ok at tire shop. What could be the potential issue? I have tried multiple petrol stations just to make sure the machine/pressure sensor is not broken.
TSepjx31
post Jul 12 2022, 07:52 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Jul 12 2022, 11:17 AM)
thanks for the advise. I was using almost all brands as I like to feel other makes of 'donus'. Somehow, If you are an average daily driver within town, I feel that there are next to no difference in terms of wet and dry handling. Even stopping also feels the same. Mind you that I tried tyres from top notch brands such as Michelin PS4s, PS4, Primacy 4, Turanza, PZeros to mid range such as Hankook V12evo2, Dunlop Maxx 050+ to budget range such as Dunlop D05, Firestone, etc etc.

Of course these top brands gives you some sense of 'security' but I really wonder whether it's really worth while to 'invest' in top brands. The reason I'm saying this is that because you can see some common defects in top brands such as Michelin PS4 rubber tends to 'peel off' at the thread or GY Asym and Pirellis that are well known of it's lump at the sidewalls etc etc.
to be honest, every manufacturer has it own "defects" & issues. When you pay for a Michelin you are paying for its technological solution. The tires from them provide you the best possible wet braking while maintaining your wear performance at a very high level. Every tire manufacturer can be good at one single criteria. But to be good in 5-7 such as wet, dry, snow, ice & wear its a whole new different level.

Hence you might not be able to "feel" them when you are driving normally as per say any tire can be used for a normal driving conditions. But it is the moment when you need your tires most, be it during heavy rain or emergency braking where these "expensive" tire comes into play. So as the saying goes from Steve Jobs, "People don't know what they want until you show it to them".

Hope this answers your questions.

TSepjx31
post Jul 12 2022, 07:53 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(sume2t @ Jul 12 2022, 02:26 PM)
Good thread!
My question - sometimes the tires (esp front) doesn't inflate at petrol stations, but all ok at tire shop. What could be the potential issue? I have tried multiple petrol stations just to make sure the machine/pressure sensor is not broken.
Strange, but I would suspect there is something wrong your air inlet valve. Might be worth changing them to see whether its a real culprit. Not worth to keep going back to a tire shop to maintain your air pressure smile.gif
TSepjx31
post Jul 12 2022, 07:58 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Jul 12 2022, 09:37 AM)
Thanks for the reply, I am not sure if my 6.5J wheel will be able to fit 205/50 wheels or not.

Tire shop person said cant fit while checking online the minimum width is 5.5J. Not sure who is correct who is wrong, they say its okay to fit 195/50R16 inside but the speedo will be off quite a bit icon_question.gif

Hard to find good fitting third wheels since the stock wheels are not common offset unless go full custom which is not cheap.

Not sure if this is under your field or not.

Also, not sure which tire co your are in but I noticed some of tire brand model have different country of origin. Eg Pilot Sport 4 was made in France while the ST model was made Thailand. Likewise the same goes to Falken which certain model was made in Turkey while SEA model were made in Thailand. I believe Goodyear & Pirelli also hade made in China model & European made.

Are the quality same between country of origin for the same model of tires?
Michelin have a different product strategy when it comes to global product line. They have the European lines which forms their core, these are the Pilot Sport 4/5, Primacy 4 and then they add a ST for those in APAC. I am pretty sure they are using different construction + compound for their APAC counterparts as the local requirements are also different. They looks the same as the pattern which is what normal users see its the same between the 2 products. So to answer your question, there is a difference between these 2 products not only because they were made in different plants but its tune to the local demands. Of course if you are staying in APAC its wise to get the ST version because it is specifically tuned to our weather climate instead of a European version.

faizrajaie
post Jul 12 2022, 09:06 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

1) How long do tyres are really safe to be use. Is 5 years the max?
2) so im using an old rwd car which its stock wheels are wider in the rear. Right now i have 205/50/16 in front and 225/50/16 in rear. Problem is the rear tyre size is quite difficult to find. The one im using ps3. Which size do you suggest i change to or just stick to Michelline ps3/4..other brands didn't have this size😢
TSepjx31
post Jul 12 2022, 11:24 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(faizrajaie @ Jul 12 2022, 09:06 PM)
1) How long do tyres are really safe to be use. Is 5 years the max?
2) so im using an old rwd car which its stock wheels are wider in the rear. Right now i have 205/50/16 in front and 225/50/16 in rear. Problem is the rear tyre size is quite difficult to find. The one im using ps3. Which size do you suggest i change to or just stick to Michelline ps3/4..other brands didn't have this size😢
1) There are 2 main concerns here, one would be performance as the tread compound tends to harden over time you might get worse wet performances but the margins are quite low. I would say not more than 10 years if everything is normal. 2nd point is the storage conditions. Is the tire loaded ? how's the humidity and temperature in storage? these things affects the compound state but as long you are not killing it it should be fine smile.gif

2) Regarding your tire size, the easiest solution is to change to 205/55R16. They have the size outer diameter and its widely available. Handling would be worse but I dont think you will feel a difference.
kdr93
post Jul 13 2022, 10:46 AM

On my way
534 posts

Sort of unrelated question but,

Is the tyre industry a good area of work for someone with product R&D background and an interest in cars?

And is it a difficult field to get into?

My current work/line of work is really boring me to death.
andrekua2
post Jul 13 2022, 10:55 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

Recently noticed some grey import of CSC5 from China. Are there any difference in their compound?

47 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM