8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Moving to Singapore after 30, Too late or never too late

views

SUSBrookLes
post Mar 1 2022, 11:50 AM

Regular
1,354 posts

Go to Singapore and retire after 10 years.
erric 850
post Mar 1 2022, 12:01 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(weehournow @ Mar 1 2022, 09:59 AM)
My hometown is in Muar and now I'm working in Senai. So it really is in the middle point of SG and KL.
Confusing what you want to bring out ..?
hungrygodzilla
post Mar 1 2022, 12:02 PM

Casual
456 posts

QUOTE(Icehart @ Mar 1 2022, 11:07 AM)
Confirm friend problem.
I've no such issues with my Singapore colleagues.
When I travel down to SG, they will offer accommodation and always insist on treating me meals.
That's right! But still so many Malaysian felt that they are outcast by the SG colleagues. Either they really in shitty company with shitty people, but most probably, I think it's their own self esteem problem.
erric 850
post Mar 1 2022, 12:05 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(Don't Troll me! @ Mar 1 2022, 10:05 AM)
if you accept the social life there why not.. mind you.. it would not easy to work with singaporean.. they are very fast paced and high in result.

my friend work there for 5 years and salary is gooding (around 8k sgd) but he still eating alone everyday at canteen because all of his colleague are singaporean.
Note - he is friendly and talkative person

your choice smile.gif
lol
Meanwhile then earning 8k sgd still can’t make friend with singaporean lol
MrBaba
post Mar 1 2022, 12:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,121 posts

Depend on what u want , go Sg if u want migrate out of Malaysia. If u got Sg PR it's a good stepping stone to migrate oversea.
SUSBrookLes
post Mar 1 2022, 12:08 PM

Regular
1,354 posts

QUOTE(weehournow @ Mar 1 2022, 09:45 AM)
I am currently 30 years old with 5+ years of working experience in the legal industry. For my current job I am drawing a salary of RM4600+. I work in Johor btw. I feel that I am somehow stuck due to my slow career progression so I have been thinking about moving to Singapore.

I found a potential job which offers SGD3.5k at most, which means most likely they will only be paying 3.2k (optimistic?). I know for a fact that if I move to KL I could land a job that would pay me MYR5k+. So the dilemma is should I go to SG for smaller pay (disregard the conversion) and start afresh or to KL?

Appreciate any constructive view. Thanks.
Did you find the job by yourself or a job agent found you.

If you rent a room in Singapore, it's going to be around SGD 600.

Why do you think you will be starting afresh? I dun think you will be starting afresh just because you are going to Singapore.

Actually, conversion of currency is important. For example, 6400SGD is still "higher" then say 9750MYR.

I think that 3.2 or say 3.3k is still > 4600. But then you do not have to pay rent etc when you are in malaysia.

I think you can save quite a bit if you really manage your finance well. But i dunno. Increment in Singapore is not very fast.
hungrygodzilla
post Mar 1 2022, 12:15 PM

Casual
456 posts

QUOTE(BrookLes @ Mar 1 2022, 12:08 PM)
Did you find the job by yourself or a job agent found you.

If you rent a room in Singapore, it's going to be around SGD 600.

Why do you think you will be starting afresh? I dun think you will be starting afresh just because you are going to Singapore.

Actually, conversion of currency is important. For example, 6400SGD is still "higher" then say 9750MYR.

I think that 3.2 or say 3.3k is still > 4600. But then you do not have to pay rent etc when you are in malaysia.

I think you can save quite a bit if you really manage your finance well. But i dunno. Increment in Singapore is not very fast.
If can get S$4k+ then i will encourage TS to go for it. I think it's a comfortable ground. But by right, at 30, should be higher than that. But judging from TS current salary, anything above S$4k is really attractive for him. 3.2 - 3.3k is a bit not here not there, not too poor, also not too rich.
SUSBrookLes
post Mar 1 2022, 12:20 PM

Regular
1,354 posts

QUOTE(hungrygodzilla @ Mar 1 2022, 12:15 PM)
If can get S$4k+ then i will encourage TS to go for it. I think it's a comfortable ground. But by right, at 30, should be higher than that. But judging from TS current salary, anything above S$4k is really attractive for him. 3.2 - 3.3k is a bit not here not there, not too poor, also not too rich.
I dun think in Singapore, they actually pay 1 - 1.

Even if you compare the job postings.

A similar job in Malaysia will definitely be paid much higher then say in Singapore if you do not convert.

3K is tight.

This post has been edited by BrookLes: Mar 1 2022, 12:21 PM
waxppl
post Mar 1 2022, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

30 is still very young tbh... once u gt 1st job, try work for 1-2 yr and then jump, it will be easier once u got PR
SUSTianJian

Casual
435 posts

1. if u are planning to earn money for retirement in Malaysia, sure, but will u sad or worry ur family members as u cant come back for a very long time? cause this always stops a lot of people right now

2. if the job pay u $3500, it will be $3500, won't be as what u mention $3200

3. if you're not money spending person, trust me, U can save more than $2k

4. Singaporean, not racist if u r not the racist guy or a hot temper person

5. Pr can help u save more $$ when u retired and go back to Malaysia

I also come SG work when I was going turn 30's, the life is never been better then Malaysia

This post has been edited by TianJian: Mar 1 2022, 12:31 PM
sonicscourge

Casual
434 posts

how hungry are you? Legal professionals Supply > Demand in Sgp.
waxppl
post Mar 1 2022, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(hungrygodzilla @ Mar 1 2022, 10:46 AM)
Problem is with your friend. He might be friendly and talkative to you, but maybe he distanced himself from his SG colleague.

What if i tell you that it's easy to integrate into SG community, all the Malaysian I know that cant integrate, you know what's the common excuse? They just blame that all their colleagues are SG, but the real problem is always themselves, they discriminate SG people because they think that SG people discriminate them. I've worked in SG for more than 10 years, never in any company, big or small, old or startup will I have problem with SG and foreigners. And i never ever see any foreigner get outcasted, unless they themselves have some problem or is hard to mix with. We have meals together not just in canteen, going out for better meals away from office, good dinner, oversea holiday trips, game together, and also regular gathering after we left the company. If you cant make good friends with SG people, the problem is you.
yep... sinkies i know only discriminate ceca or some ah tiong, they dont normally discriminate malaysian laugh.gif
zephyrus9999
post Mar 1 2022, 01:01 PM

On my way
649 posts

QUOTE(waxppl @ Mar 1 2022, 12:38 PM)
yep... sinkies i know only discriminate ceca or some ah tiong, they dont normally discriminate malaysian laugh.gif
Pls lah u think they will tell u this in front of ur face? It’s all subtle and wayang show. For sure below are their stereotypes on msian: stealing jobs, depressing salaries, weird Chinese kampung accent, horrible English, tendencies to backstab gossiping in office, transform office space to Chinatown speaking mandarin all the way, doing non-prestigious 3D jobs (hairstylist hawkers cleaners drivers u name it)

The hate towards ceca is worse off, as they access to professional jobs that some sinkie can ever dream of
ameliorate
post Mar 1 2022, 01:10 PM

Casual
358 posts

Single, should go. I don't consider Sg as foreign. It is the easiest country to migrate for Msians. It's akin to moving to another abang adik place. If you don't like it can always come back, the transition is very minimal.
ceo684
post Mar 1 2022, 01:15 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(hungrygodzilla @ Mar 1 2022, 10:46 AM)
Problem is with your friend. He might be friendly and talkative to you, but maybe he distanced himself from his SG colleague.

What if i tell you that it's easy to integrate into SG community, all the Malaysian I know that cant integrate, you know what's the common excuse? They just blame that all their colleagues are SG, but the real problem is always themselves, they discriminate SG people because they think that SG people discriminate them. I've worked in SG for more than 10 years, never in any company, big or small, old or startup will I have problem with SG and foreigners. And i never ever see any foreigner get outcasted, unless they themselves have some problem or is hard to mix with. We have meals together not just in canteen, going out for better meals away from office, good dinner, oversea holiday trips, game together, and also regular gathering after we left the company. If you cant make good friends with SG people, the problem is you.
I think its whether that person is open to make friends or not.
I mean.. myself I have made new friends from those running events and what not.. I am MY citizen and they are true blue SG citizen since birth.

Some are so nice (back then I didn't make much money) to even treat me a meal. They all know I'm from KL.

I do not feel discriminated.. as a matter of fact in work, faster response is better than everything pending rclxub.gif

On another point. is whether you can do as the romans do in ROME or not.
They would always use shortforms. TP = traffic police, plaza SGP = plaza singapura.
So you need to keep up with the romans in rome.

This post has been edited by ceo684: Mar 1 2022, 01:19 PM
waxppl
post Mar 1 2022, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(zephyrus9999 @ Mar 1 2022, 01:01 PM)
Pls lah u think they will tell u this in front of ur face? It’s all subtle and wayang show. For sure below are their stereotypes on msian: stealing jobs, depressing salaries, weird Chinese kampung accent, horrible English, tendencies to backstab gossiping in office, transform office space to Chinatown speaking mandarin all the way, doing non-prestigious 3D jobs (hairstylist hawkers cleaners drivers u name it)

The hate towards ceca is worse off, as they access to professional jobs that some sinkie can ever dream of
Im sure there are some sinkies that discriminate msian.. like i said, "sinkies I know", not all sinkies..

it depends on what group of sinkies u mix with, low life sinkies sure hate u for "stealing their jobs"..
Pakatan SinMa Plus
post Mar 1 2022, 01:27 PM

Regular
1,123 posts

QUOTE(weehournow @ Mar 1 2022, 09:45 AM)
I am currently 30 years old with 5+ years of working experience in the legal industry. For my current job I am drawing a salary of RM4600+. I work in Johor btw. I feel that I am somehow stuck due to my slow career progression so I have been thinking about moving to Singapore.

I found a potential job which offers SGD3.5k at most, which means most likely they will only be paying 3.2k (optimistic?). I know for a fact that if I move to KL I could land a job that would pay me MYR5k+. So the dilemma is should I go to SG for smaller pay (disregard the conversion) and start afresh or to KL?

Appreciate any constructive view. Thanks.
It is not too late to start a new life in Singapore at 30 years old.

Not sure about your marital status. If you are single, looking at the offer and your current condition, i would suggest to come to Singapore and build your professional career here. However, if you are married and with kids, you might need to consider about your wife and kid too.

ceo684
post Mar 1 2022, 01:31 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(BrookLes @ Mar 1 2022, 12:20 PM)

A similar job in Malaysia will definitely be paid much higher then say in Singapore if you do not convert.

3K is tight.
More peanuts by 20-25% here, but in actual fact our peanuts have less disposable income and buying power.
mushigen
post Mar 1 2022, 02:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,501 posts

1. TS, you plan to stay in Sg or JB?

2. You plan to work there for short term or long term? I know of ppl who planned short term but as their commitment increases, they are stuck there.

3. You plan to start a family? You gotta familiarise yourself with their school system when you enrol your kids there.

4. Your kids will be stuck there if they're schooled there. Can't even speak Malay wei.
hungrygodzilla
post Mar 1 2022, 02:24 PM

Casual
456 posts

QUOTE(BrookLes @ Mar 1 2022, 12:20 PM)

3K is tight.
depends on his actual job role and scope, the term "legal industry" is just too vague. A cleaner in a legal office also work in legal industry.

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:41 PM