Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[Alignment Guide/General Discussion], How to interpret wheel alignment number?

views

GuyM
post Oct 19 2021, 10:31 AM

Regular
1,767 posts

Was doing my E90 alignment.. This is before the adjustment, what is wrong with my wheels?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
NobodyII P
post Oct 19 2021, 11:26 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 18 2021, 10:14 AM)
I guess @NobodyII meant to say RM260 is the sum of Wheel Balancing at RM35 per tyre X 4 tyres and Wheel Alignment at RM120.

Would link suggested  Autovest Service Centre to Post #2 summary of alignment shops and would you mind elaborating on his pricing, assuming you are very happy with his job?
Zeng, you are right. Total damage = RM260 (RM120 + RM35x4).

Commenting on previous poster, I would also want to know how they charge? Body type, wheel size, etc.?

I would love to go to somewhere much cheaper for a good alignment & balancing service but tbh all those FB/WA/Insta car group all swear by their beloved service centre/tyre shop, sometimes bordering on insanity.

I bet they will even tell you if cost RM1k also, it is money well spent tongue.gif

Purpose of me coming to LY is to seek a broader feedback, non-bias, if possible.
TSzeng
post Oct 19 2021, 12:40 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(GuyM @ Oct 19 2021, 10:31 AM)
Was doing my E90 alignment.. This is before the adjustment, what is wrong with my wheels?
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Atta...ost&id=11016246
Honestly, I don't know what's actually wrong with your wheels as the specific facts surrounding them are with you and unknown to all readers here.

By specific facts I meant to say additional infos like:

Readings of rear camber and toe alignment angles, whether or not they are adjustable from Factory or with aftermarket products;

your E90 suspension types (like Standard, or Performance or Sport etc)?

Is the Suspension lowered/not lowered? I guess not ?

Besides is it a 2WD aka RWD or AWD?

Tyre size too, to a certain extent seeing your Front toes may be displayed in mm(?), not in degrees/minutes.

All the above would influence actual Factory Alignment Specs (from BMW), which is not displayed in your print out through no fault of yours btw.

Anyway thank you for your upload of 'invaluable' print out and clarifying it being an E90 chassis, otherwise no meaningful or purposeful follow up comments/opinions can be had vs hot air/speculation talk.

If I may take a jab, the both Front Cambers and left LF toe are probably within Specs, but the Right Front RF toe being negative aka toe-out is out of specs, as per BMW IIRC.

On typical straight ahead driving scenario your E90 may drifts or veers to the Right (with hands temporarily off the steering wheel, CAUTION please). Care to provide feedback ?

Though Total front toes (is it 3.1 mm, ?) are within BMW Specs, however do monitor and look out for potential uneven outside edge wear on your Left Front LF tyre .... IDK.

Can you have a visual check, on RF tyre as well?

Do you need to exert greater input or effort on steering wheel during turning Right vs turning Left? I suppose you do?

Feedbacks from you would be appreciated for the general benefits of other readers here.

Other Sifus may have more spot on assessments/comments forthcoming.

CMIIMW.

Edit: For easier identification/reference and avoiding likely confusions among readers, it would be nice if Model Year and type (like saloon, coupe, 3xx i petrol/diesel etc) of vehicle are disclosed for readers' benefits.

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 19 2021, 01:17 PM
speedy3210
post Oct 19 2021, 08:13 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 18 2021, 10:14 AM)
I guess @NobodyII meant to say RM260 is the sum of Wheel Balancing at RM35 per tyre X 4 tyres and Wheel Alignment at RM120.

Would link suggested  Autovest Service Centre to Post #2 summary of alignment shops and would you mind elaborating on his pricing, assuming you are very happy with his job?
Can't elaborate much on pricing, pretty much the standard fare of RM50 for front & rear wheels alignment job on b or c segment sized car. Can't remember how much was the balancing job, coz sometimes he threw in free balancing as I was his loyal customer for >20yrs.

If taxi lou seeks him out to pass puspakom test, he can't be expensive as this industry tries to save every penny on opex.

This post has been edited by speedy3210: Oct 19 2021, 08:23 PM
GuyM
post Oct 20 2021, 10:56 AM

Regular
1,767 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 19 2021, 12:40 PM)
If I may take a jab, the both Front Cambers and left LF toe are probably within Specs, but the Right Front RF toe being negative aka toe-out is out of specs, as per BMW IIRC.

On typical straight ahead driving scenario your E90 may drifts or veers to the Right (with hands temporarily off the steering wheel, CAUTION please). Care to provide feedback ?

Though Total front toes (is it 3.1 mm, ?) are within BMW Specs, however do monitor and look out for potential uneven outside edge wear on your Left Front LF tyre .... IDK.

Can you have a visual check, on RF tyre as well?

Do you need to exert greater input or effort on steering wheel during turning Right vs turning Left? I suppose you do?

Feedbacks from you would be appreciated for the general benefits of other readers here.

Other Sifus may have more spot on assessments/comments forthcoming.

CMIIMW.

Edit: For easier identification/reference and avoiding likely confusions among readers, it would be nice if Model Year and type (like saloon, coupe, 3xx i petrol/diesel etc) of vehicle are disclosed for readers' benefits.
I had an uneven wear on my front right tyre and the car was steering to the right slightly hence I went for the alignment.

This is a rear wheel drive with stock absorbers and 225/45/17 and according to shop the cambers are ok. Was charged $85 for 4 wheel alignment at Glenmarie
TSzeng
post Oct 21 2021, 01:46 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(GuyM @ Oct 20 2021, 10:56 AM)
I had an uneven wear on my front right tyre and the car was steering to the right slightly hence I went for the alignment.

This is a rear wheel drive with stock absorbers and 225/45/17 and according to shop the cambers are ok. Was charged $85 for 4 wheel alignment at Glenmarie
That sounds strange (to me) whether a 'proper' 4 wheel alignment has actually been done in your case here.

E90 has stock Factory adjustments for both Rear Cambers and Rear Toes, as per youtube attached below:

With due respect, your Front After alignment report uploaded above does NOT suggest to me a 'proper' Rear Camber and Rear Toe balanced adjustments had been made in this 4 wheel alignment as you made known here.

Question:
Did you ever see with your own eyes the alignment tyreman actually went under the Rear Axle to inspect and actually spending some 10-20 minutes time with some spanners Adjusting the eccentric bolts for both Rear Camber Arms and Rear Tie rod Arms?

Attached Image

IF you don't, then that is not considered a 4 wheel alignment per se imho but a Thrust Line Alignment which meant different ways of doing wheel alignment.

Yes, your Left Front toe of 3.2 mm is about +00°17' (toe-in) and the Right Front toe of -0.1 mm is about -00°005' (toe-out). RF toe is numerically out of specs IINM.

Imho, if a real and proper Rear Camber and/or Rear toe adjustments (in this paid 4 wheel alignment) had actually been carried out then the Front After alignment values of this car may suggest tendency of car drifting/veering towards Right during straight ahead driving scenarios, if I may speculate.

Of course mechanical conditions of suspension system components and/or tyres conicities would have unknown influence as well on vehicle dynamics.

Just my 2 sen.

Note: Mind sharing with us the name of this Glenmarie alignment shop?

Edit: Add picture.

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 22 2021, 09:46 AM
TSzeng
post Oct 22 2021, 09:59 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Oops, you have indicated the screenshot as Before alignment adjustment.

Please ignore previous comments that assume otherwise.

Instead of possible inside/outside edge wear on Left Front LF tyre, can't figure out why would Right Front RF tyre has relatively more severe (inside/outside edge?) wear than LF other than tyre rotation beings practised, unknown Before Rear cambers and toes angles and/or driving styles etc.

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 22 2021, 10:12 AM
TSzeng
post Oct 25 2021, 12:22 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Atta...ost&id=11016246
Whether or not Rear cambers and toes of a vehicle car is adjustable (for Rear Independent Suspension design) or
non-adjustable (for Rear Torsion Beam or solid live axle design),
it IS critically important to measure and display Rear cambers and toes in a typical 4-wheel Alignment or Thrust Line Alignment.
Front Wheel Alignment (as commonly practised locally in Malaysia) without any regards to Rear cambers and toes readings is a sure recipe for headaches or poor driving experience for local car owners imho.
Attached Image

Source: What Every Motorist Should Know About Wheel Alignment
by www.aa1car.com

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 25 2021, 12:28 PM
billychong930518
post Oct 27 2021, 09:30 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

Hi guys,

Wanna ask my proton saga vvt 2018 is having an issue when driving straight line. The steering is pointing to left when I’m driving in straight line.

I have went for alignment, but still the same result.

May I know is camber issue or you guys have any recommend alignment shop in klang valley?
TSzeng
post Oct 27 2021, 10:09 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

During straight ahead driving/tracking a steering wheel points to left phenomenon usually means toes setting problems.

That is assuming during alignment process, the steering wheel was properly 'squared' by the shop.

I suppose you have to apply effort holding on to the steering wheel at ALL time whilst tracking straight ahead?

Does the car veers or drifts to left/right with hands temporarily off the steering wheel?

In the absence of alignment result screenshots, I would speculate your problem is not caused by camber angles, not suggesting these camber angles are perfectly set up here.

If it is under warranty, I suggest you go back for an foc re-do/re-work .....
otherwise look out for another shop, where a good one is hard to come by IME.

Edit: 2018 Saga vvt has a Rear Torsion Beam suspension design which is non-adjustable stock. This shop may have overlooked and not considered the Rear cambers and Rear toes in this alignment job and contribute to your current problem.

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 27 2021, 10:18 PM
billychong930518
post Oct 27 2021, 11:26 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 27 2021, 10:09 PM)
During straight ahead driving/tracking a steering wheel points to left phenomenon usually means toes setting problems.

That is assuming during alignment process, the steering wheel was properly 'squared' by the shop.

I suppose you have to apply effort holding on to the steering wheel at ALL time whilst tracking straight ahead?

Does the car veers or drifts to left/right with hands temporarily off the steering wheel?

In the absence of alignment result screenshots, I would speculate your problem is not caused by camber angles, not suggesting these camber angles are perfectly set up here.

If it is under warranty, I suggest you go back for an foc re-do/re-work .....
otherwise look out for another shop, where a good one is hard to come by IME.

Edit: 2018 Saga vvt has a Rear Torsion Beam suspension design which is non-adjustable stock. This shop may have overlooked and not considered the Rear cambers and Rear toes in this alignment job and contribute to your current problem.
So bro do you have any recommend tyre shops near Cheras or balakong?
TSzeng
post Oct 28 2021, 07:12 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(billychong930518 @ Oct 27 2021, 11:26 PM)
So bro do you have any recommend tyre shops near Cheras or balakong?
There is a limited number of wheel alignment shops listed in Post #2 in this thread, not sure about their quality or finishings though.

Balakong ??....

May be have a look at Ah Man who uses manual method and provide feedback here on how he fares?

Note: I too am personally looking out for a top class wheel alignment shop with good finishing and quality service at reasonable price, hopefully near Subang Jaya/PJ area.

This post has been edited by zeng: Dec 22 2021, 11:09 AM
billychong930518
post Oct 28 2021, 08:53 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 28 2021, 07:12 AM)
There is a limited number of wheel alignment shops listed in Post #2 in this thread, not sure about their quality or finishings though.

Balakong ??....

May be have a look at Ah Man who uses manual method and provide feedback here on he fares?

Note: I too am personally looking out for a top class wheel alignment shop with good finishing and quality service at reasonable price, hopefully near Subang Jaya/PJ area.
I think I will go for the Balakong one, but not sure how much does it charge...
TSzeng
post Oct 28 2021, 10:02 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(billychong930518 @ Oct 28 2021, 08:53 AM)
I think I will go for the Balakong one, but not sure how much does it charge...
So far there is no feedback in this thread of pricings and workmanship finishings of Ah Man, Balakong.

However, member @NobodyII has kindly updated here Ah Man has a sister Branch in Bandar Kinrara 5, Puchong which billed him RM120 for a more complete 4 Wheel Alignment on his SUV (brand/model unknown).

Your 2018 Proton vvt has a Rear Torsion Beam suspension design which is Factory non-adjustable and being isn't a SUV/MPV , hence I speculate it should be lower price than a 'real' 4 Wheel Alignment.

Avoid Front Wheel Front-End Alignment and ask for Thrust Line Alignment as explained here, if the shop guy knows what you are refering to as both these methods are part of 2 Wheel Alignment.

Kindly update us what happens?

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 28 2021, 07:37 PM
billychong930518
post Oct 28 2021, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Oct 28 2021, 10:02 AM)
So far there is no feedback in this thread of pricings and workmanship finishings of Ah Man, Balakong.

However, member @NobodyII  has kindly updated here Ah Man has a sister Branch in Bandar Kinrara 5, Puchong which billed him RM120 for a more complete 4 Wheel Alignment on his SUV (brand/model unknown).

Your 2018 Proton vvt has a Rear Torsion Beam suspension design which is Factory non-adjustable and being isn't a SUV/MPV , hence I speculate it should be lower price than a 'real' 4 Wheel Alignment.

Avoid Front Wheel Alignment and ask for Thrust Line Alignment as explained here, if the shop guy knows what you are refering to as both these methods are part of 2 Wheel Alignment.

Kindly update us what happens?
Bro, I just went over there. The service is quite okay and it's manually alignment the tyres instead of using computer.

I would rate 4/5 for the service and the price too.
TSzeng
post Oct 28 2021, 11:13 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(billychong930518 @ Oct 28 2021, 10:50 AM)
Bro, I just went over there. The service is quite okay and it's manually alignment the tyres instead of using computer.

I would rate 4/5 for the service and the price too.
Thank you for your service ratings, for the benefit of all readers here.

Glad that you appear to be quite happy with the outcome thus far.

Btw, mind sharing with us his price of manually-aligning a 2018 Saga vvt and how long you got to wait ?

After a month or two of rather 'extensive' driving and testing, try to test and update us later whether your Saga can at ALL times drive straight like an arrow (American speak) and planted/steady:
a )under varying conditions of lower (60-80 km/hr) and higher (100-130 km/hr) road speeds, and
b )occasionally with both hands off the steering wheel (Caution!) where condition permits, and
c )during acceleration, and
d )during braking etc.

Besides, test if you have equal ease or heaviness in making turns to Left or Right.

Await your feedback on Ah Man's finishings in months to come. notworthy.gif

Edit: The bold above is sort of a highly pleasurable ultimate/near-perfect driving experience one can get to enjoy and benefit from on typical roads/streets driving .......
even from cheapo cars with non-adjustable Rear suspension systems like Rear Torsion Beam and/or Live axle imho.

This post has been edited by zeng: Oct 28 2021, 11:21 AM
TSzeng
post Dec 10 2021, 09:42 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

How to install rear shims on cars with Rear Torsion Beams suspension for improved alignment 'tuning' ?

What are the benefits?

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/do-i...ignment.232377/

Attached Image

Question: Can rear shimming be carried out on a Rear Live/Fixed Axle like Avanza's?

Note: Rear Torsion Beam suspension is found in most Vios, Corollas, Prius, Yaris, City, Jazz, Fit, Civics, Accents, Elantras, Kias, some Europeans and probably all Perodua's etc, subject to specific model years.

This post has been edited by zeng: Dec 10 2021, 09:54 AM
TSzeng
post Dec 27 2021, 11:06 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Tuning for Oversteering and Understeering..

link

Attached Image

Refering to this display/screenshot, has the writer got the corrections reversed/terbalik?
amduser
post Dec 27 2021, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,534 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Dec 27 2021, 11:06 AM)
Tuning for Oversteering and Understeering..

link

Attached Image

Refering to this display/screenshot, has the writer got the corrections reversed/terbalik?
tyre pressure seems incorrect, it will actually result in more under/oversteer instead

but on actual road, tyre pressure give very less correction on under/oversteer, not as much as adjust the stiffness of suspension
TSzeng
post Dec 29 2021, 10:45 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

2010 Hyundai Tucson Front Suspension parts.

I commented something regarding the above in another lowyat thread.

Attached below are pictorials of some parts in question.

1 )Front Spring & Strut;

Attached Image

2 )Front Stabilizer bar assembly and;

Attached Image

3 )Front Lower Control Arm and Steering Knuckle;

Attached Image

Enjoy...

9 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0287sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:13 AM