Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Synology DS920+ Review (4-bays NAS), RIP internet data edition (Review)

views

TSxxboxx
post Jan 19 2021, 10:26 AM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
4,827 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 18 2021, 12:08 PM)
wow, self-build NAS need condition of 1GB:1TB... good to know about it.
Looking at some online comment the Celeron J4125 processor only support max 8GB of RAM from official Intel spec. I am not sure how much RAM is needed as DSM maybe can utilize RAM efficiently just like iOS could.

Anyway, i have pulled trigger for DS920+, considering my network condition does not have 2.5GBe port and DSM is supposed to be easier to manage.

Any good way to export photo from Google Take Out with metadata?
I got it in JSON format and yet to find how to proceed.
If not mistaken it's the way ZFS is. But I also read some have their system without 1:1, need to dig further about it.
Anyways I think self-build NAS only suitable for hobbyist/enthusiast or those that need a lot of bays/customization.
Simple self-build NAS components still cost 1 thousand plus, the difference with prebuilt is just few hundreds. If get second hand parts then maybe can lower it by few hundreds. Those that need more bays/customization will save a lot if go self-build, but general users won't need it, no matter how one think they should have more bays in their NAS. You need time and knowledge to setup everything, IT people especially with programming skills can cut short on the learning process but those without it will take long time to learn from basic to a lot more things. It might be more economical to pay extra for prebuilt so that no need spend time to get skills same as people with degree in IT.

J4125 specs is max 8GB RAM but a lot people have it running fine with a lot more RAM than that.

Didn't use Take Out so I not sure about that. But googling around I found this info
The ZIP folder also includes .json files with data (for example descriptions, locations) added in Google Photos. Google does not provide any tools to add them to the photos, but EXIFTool seems able to do it:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4202425...-google-takeout
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/i...hp?topic=8154.0

https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresourc...kupped-pictures

yanjinowa
post Jan 20 2021, 02:28 PM

On my way
562 posts

Thanks xxboxx for advise.
I have tried Take Out which gives JSON and need some Exiftool to merge the metadata, which i will avoid unless no work around.

another software mentioned is SyncBackPro, which could successfully download Google Photo with metadata, however missing GPS.

Then i see some youtuber mentioned to create album is Google Photo in timeline manner, then use download all function, indeed this will give the photo+metadata+GPS. I used this method to download the data.

anyway, DS920+ arrived, and time to setup now.

This post has been edited by yanjinowa: Jan 20 2021, 02:29 PM
TSxxboxx
post Jan 20 2021, 04:04 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 20 2021, 02:28 PM)
Thanks xxboxx for advise.
I have tried Take Out which gives JSON and need some Exiftool to merge the metadata, which i will avoid unless no work around.

another software mentioned is SyncBackPro, which could successfully download Google Photo with metadata, however missing GPS.

Then i see some youtuber mentioned to create album is Google Photo in timeline manner, then use download all function, indeed this will give the photo+metadata+GPS. I used this method to download the data.

anyway, DS920+ arrived, and time to setup now.
Another thing I forgot to mention is about the RAM. 4GB is enough if not using something memory intensive such as running VM Win 10 or Linux. I got a lot of Synology apps installed and also running 2 dockers package and my RAM usage is less than 2GB.
yanjinowa
post Feb 8 2021, 10:16 PM

On my way
562 posts

OMG, my taman have power outage yesterday, which i have not bought a UPS. DS920+ start up with warning and improper shutdown.
I know it is my bad that i do not consider an UPS before, and lesson learnt.

While surveying UPS, there is a shared link in this thread, I have personally text the seller, which share that this model does not support Synology NAS for shutdown, and required Titan series from Right Power, which cost about 1k.

QUOTE(fireballs @ Nov 25 2020, 12:34 AM)
yes i saw that reply too. but nas is not pc. dont think can install the software in the DSM interface, right?
While I try to search around and found BX700U-MS to be working in Reddit. Any other recommedation?
Thank you.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 8 2021, 10:37 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Feb 8 2021, 10:16 PM)
OMG, my taman have power outage yesterday, which i have not bought a UPS. DS920+ start up with warning and improper shutdown.
I know it is my bad that i do not consider an UPS before, and lesson learnt.

While surveying UPS, there is a shared link in this thread, I have personally text the seller, which share that this model does not support Synology NAS for shutdown, and required Titan series from Right Power, which cost about 1k.
While I try to search around and found BX700U-MS to be working in Reddit. Any other recommedation?
Thank you.
If you are not writing to the HDD when power outage, less likely any issue, so don't worry too much. Most crucial is your important data also have backup on other than inside the NAS.

Those UPS that have USB port supposed to be for connect to NAS/PC to configure shutdown.
fireballs
post Feb 8 2021, 11:13 PM

5,245 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Feb 8 2021, 10:37 PM)
If you are not writing to the HDD when power outage, less likely any issue, so don't worry too much. Most crucial is your important data also have backup on other than inside the NAS.

Those UPS that have USB port supposed to be for connect to NAS/PC to configure shutdown.
sked liao.. outage killed my buffalo nas and no way to recover. all data gone also.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 9 2021, 12:49 AM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Feb 8 2021, 11:13 PM)
sked liao.. outage killed my buffalo nas and no way to recover. all data gone also.
True also. Mayne not write anything that time but the system is writing on the background.
That's why backup is a must.
Gaara92
post Feb 10 2021, 07:54 AM

Herald
586 posts

Wait, this 920+ already got 4GB RAM soldered onto it? My 918+ can use 2 slotted RAM, so I utilised is for 16GB ram with dual channel 8Gb each.
TSxxboxx
post Feb 10 2021, 12:27 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(Gaara92 @ Feb 10 2021, 07:54 AM)
Wait, this 920+ already got 4GB RAM soldered onto it? My 918+ can use 2 slotted RAM, so I utilised is for 16GB ram with dual channel 8Gb each.
Yup, it's soldered memory chips. Recent models they start taking this approach. Still have 1 slot for expandability.
xPrototype
post Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

Like for backup photo purpose, do you think it's okay to turn on NAS only when you want to backup , then shut down for a period of time?

I heard this would hurt the hdd as nas hdd are meant for 24/7
TSxxboxx
post Apr 1 2021, 09:47 AM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(xPrototype @ Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM)
Like for backup photo purpose, do you think it's okay to turn on NAS only when you want to backup , then shut down for a period of time?

I believe NAS HDD have same mechanism as normal HDD in starting and stopping the disc. So it's as bad as normal HDD that start and shut down. That said tho, I have read some people that say their NAS HDD died after 2 or 3 years because they shut down and start everyday. If you going to shut down and start everyday, might as well let it run 24/7. And if the system just going to run for short period of time to do backup, can get normal HDD instead.

I also have a NAS HDD that I use in NAS running 24/7 for 2 years then now move it to my PC that I shut down and start everyday, also 2 years. Still running fine. So I think really depends on individual situation. It might not be the daily shut down and start that kill the HDD but something else.
WaNaWe900
post Apr 1 2021, 03:35 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xPrototype @ Mar 31 2021, 11:41 PM)

if like that better you get DAS (external HDD) type

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Apr 1 2021, 09:47 AM)
I believe NAS HDD have same mechanism as normal HDD in starting and stopping the disc. So it's as bad as normal HDD that start and shut down. That said tho, I have read some people that say their NAS HDD died after 2 or 3 years because they shut down and start everyday. If you going to shut down and start everyday, might as well let it run 24/7. And if the system just going to run for short period of time to do backup, can get normal HDD instead.

I also have a NAS HDD that I use in NAS running 24/7 for 2 years then now move it to my PC that I shut down and start everyday, also 2 years. Still running fine. So I think really depends on individual situation. It might not be the daily shut down and start that kill the HDD but something else.
Its so true when I read NAS = Setup & forget sweat.gif over 3 months now and I do forgot about it sometimes. Plan to do some cleaning over this weekend icon_rolleyes.gif
rx330
post Jan 10 2022, 10:11 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,140 posts

where do you send of repair if your Synology breaks down?
TSxxboxx
post Jan 10 2022, 07:26 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 10 2022, 10:11 AM)
where do you send of repair if your Synology breaks down?
Touch wood it doesn't. sweat.gif
Never thought about this, hopefully they have partners that does the service.
rx330
post Jan 11 2022, 09:36 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,140 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 10 2022, 07:26 PM)
Touch wood it doesn't. sweat.gif
Never thought about this, hopefully they have partners that does the service.
jialat

mine broke down

blue light flashing

I think it was a 918+, bought during 2018
TSxxboxx
post Jan 12 2022, 10:24 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 11 2022, 09:36 AM)
jialat

mine broke down

blue light flashing

I think it was a 918+, bought during 2018
Bought from which company? Maybe ask them where to send for repair?
rx330
post Jan 14 2022, 09:37 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,140 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 12 2022, 10:24 PM)
Bought from which company? Maybe ask them where to send for repair?
problem buy in SG, now stuck in MY bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSxxboxx
post Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 14 2022, 09:37 AM)
problem buy in SG, now stuck in MY  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
Synology doesn't have office in Malaysia. The distributors here might not want to do since you not buy from them. Try contact Synology live chat and see how they can arrange for you.
https://www.synology.com/en-au/company/contact_us

Last time my phone spoilt while under warranty, the distributor that sell the phone doesn't want to repair since they going to stop being the brand distributor in few more months, don't know who the new distributor yet. I ask Singapore distributor since I also got go there but they doesn't want to do since not they sell. In the end I directly contact the brand and they arrange so that Singapore distributor to accept my phone for repair.
rx330
post Jan 14 2022, 03:39 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,140 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM)
Synology doesn't have office in Malaysia. The distributors here might not want to do since you not buy from them. Try contact Synology live chat and see how they can arrange for you.
https://www.synology.com/en-au/company/contact_us

Last time my phone spoilt while under warranty, the distributor that sell the phone doesn't want to repair since they going to stop being the brand distributor in few more months, don't know who the new distributor yet. I ask Singapore distributor since I also got go there but they doesn't want to do since not they sell. In the end I directly contact the brand and they arrange so that Singapore distributor to accept my phone for repair.
tried live chat, I'm on my own it seems bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
TSxxboxx
post Jan 14 2022, 03:44 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jan 14 2022, 03:39 PM)
tried live chat, I'm on my own it seems bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
Not under warranty or no place to send for repair in Malaysia?

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0481sec    0.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th May 2022 - 05:25 PM