Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Synology DS920+ Review (4-bays NAS), RIP internet data edition (Review)

views

fireballs
post Nov 25 2020, 01:40 AM

5,245 posts

https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatib...egory=upses&p=1

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/cyberpow...s219209182.html

so this is compatible

This post has been edited by fireballs: Nov 25 2020, 01:43 AM
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 03:14 PM

Casual
309 posts

nicely written dude. great effort.

been using synology for over a decade and really seen how the product has grown

as for the UPS as long as the USB port with software it should run without any problems, the best use for it is gradual shutdown when batt is low, which means if there is no power to it your NAS will survive until about 3 mins left in battery and get your NAS to be in safe mode. during this time power can cut anytime and won't risk damaging your volume.

you could mount your google shared drive/aka team drive previously and supposedly get "unlimited" storage.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by mintgadget: Nov 25 2020, 03:27 PM
edmund_yung
post Nov 25 2020, 03:35 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Nov 25 2020, 01:01 AM)
I believe the UPS send signal that can be interpreted by NAS or PC.
Just to be sure better ask the seller.
Your video is in NAS or PC?
The video is in NAS. I depend on Plex to catalog and log which video I had watched. The Synology Video Station can also do the same thing but since I use Plex first, I'll stick to that for watching it on TV.

I do need Plex Pass to watch on iPad and my Android phone. So I'm using Video Station if I want to watch on those devices. DLNA is the last alternative.
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 03:40 PM

Casual
309 posts

don't think you need plex pass to watch on devices, you only need to pay for activation for IOS think Android TV no need (not sure). but Plex Pass is worth it for this box as you can easily transcode up to 9 streams (hardware transcoding) without any issues (it a freaking celeron chip only)

the list of plex pass features -

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-...ature-overview/

This post has been edited by mintgadget: Nov 25 2020, 03:42 PM
TSxxboxx
post Nov 25 2020, 05:30 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
4,827 posts

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Nov 25 2020, 03:14 PM)
nicely written dude. great effort.

been using synology for over a decade and really seen how the product has grown

as for the UPS as long as the USB port with software it should run without any problems, the best use for it is gradual shutdown when batt is low, which means if there is no power to it your NAS will survive until about 3 mins left in battery and get your NAS to be in safe mode. during this time power can cut anytime and won't risk damaging your volume.

you could mount your google shared drive/aka team drive previously and supposedly get "unlimited" storage.

Attached Image
Is that 1 petabyte? sweat.gif

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Nov 25 2020, 03:40 PM)
don't think you need plex pass to watch on devices, you only need to pay for activation for IOS think Android TV no need (not sure). but Plex Pass is worth it for this box as you can easily transcode up to 9 streams (hardware transcoding) without any issues (it a freaking celeron chip only)

the list of plex pass features -

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-...ature-overview/
You also using this model? Can transcode up to 9 streams is really something. But running at max speed and all the heat it generated all that time I don't think is good for the NAS in long run.
mintgadget
post Nov 25 2020, 06:40 PM

Casual
309 posts

i have yet to see a synology NAS break because of heat over all these years. besides i don't even enable hibernation for the drives as they are on all the time. these boxes are pretty powerful, your drives will die first prior to the box breaking smile.gif
TSxxboxx
post Nov 27 2020, 08:19 AM

4,827 posts

I also disable hibernation as don't want the HDD to stop-start constantly.
lygsl
post Dec 21 2020, 07:54 PM

42 posts

Everyone is asking about Google photo replacement storage/app. Synology is great but expensive in term of learning curve, maintenance, risk etc. You could setup your own Synology via old pc. Test it out whether its suit your purpose.
iZuDeeN
post Dec 22 2020, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,222 posts

Synology has high flexibility.. for typical home users just get D-link ; sync and forget.. may not have tons of feature but for casual users should be enough
TSxxboxx
post Dec 22 2020, 03:40 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(lygsl @ Dec 21 2020, 07:54 PM)
Everyone is asking about Google photo replacement storage/app. Synology is great but expensive in term of learning curve, maintenance, risk etc. You could setup your own Synology via old pc. Test it out whether its suit your purpose.
You mean xpenology right?
For testing purpose is okay but I won't recommend for actual backup or storage as it's basically an illegal software and there's no guarantee on stability of the software.

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Dec 22 2020, 09:23 AM)
Synology has high flexibility.. for typical home users just get D-link ; sync and forget.. may not have tons of feature but for casual users should be enough
D-link NAS? Does it have something like Google's Drive and Photos? For casual user IMO this is the features that they want the most.
Additionally a NAS that can do redundancy and support for BTRFS is important for data integrity.
WaNaWe900
post Dec 25 2020, 11:33 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

Just curious to run 24/7 do we need 4TB HDD above ?
TSxxboxx
post Dec 26 2020, 02:38 AM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Dec 25 2020, 11:33 PM)
Just curious to run 24/7 do we need 4TB HDD above ?
Any HDD sizes can be used for system running 24/7
WaNaWe900
post Dec 26 2020, 06:02 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Dec 26 2020, 02:38 AM)
Any HDD sizes can be used for system running 24/7
Thinking of SHR or RAID-5 configuration, of course require at least 3 HDD but will it be less affective compare to RAID-1 when doing recovery later 👉👈
TSxxboxx
post Dec 27 2020, 09:31 AM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Dec 26 2020, 06:02 PM)
Thinking of SHR or RAID-5 configuration, of course require at least 3 HDD but will it be less affective compare to RAID-1 when doing recovery later 👉👈
If use RAID-5, all the HDD need to be in same size. You can add bigger HDD but it can only utilize same space as the smallest size HDD in the pool. SHR would be the better choice if mixes sizes HDD as it can maxed out the utilization.

If recovery, RAID-5 need to constantly read from the remaining HDD to do the rebuild, it create more stress to the remaining HDD.
When you link multiple hard drives together to create a RAID-5 array, you create redundant data on the array in the form of XOR parity blocks. These parity blocks allow the array to reconstruct missing data if a single hard drive fails. By performing XOR computations on the remaining drives, the array seems to miraculously resurrect the data from the failed drive. And when you insert a new hard drive into the array and replace the old one, the array uses the same XOR computations to write the data onto the healthy drive.

But unfortunately, there is a risk associated with rebuilding the RAID-5 array. When a RAID-5 array runs minus one hard drive (in a degraded condition), its remaining drives endure much more stress than usual. And that stress only increases once the rebuild process begins and the server must work to both integrate the new drive and continue performing its duties. With the additional workload, a second hard drive in the array might fail during the rebuild, creating gaps and holes in the array and crashing the server.
https://www.gillware.com/raid-data-recovery...raid-5-rebuild/
RAID-1 when rebuild poses same risk as RAID-5 in that if another HDD failure it means all the data will be unrecoverable. That is why need to have multiple copies of backup for important data. 3-2-1 backup rule is always the recommended way. If your NAS data is always being use for read and write/amend, that is not backup, that is just your present data. You need to have at least another 2 backup, and one of the backup is stored in different place.
WaNaWe900
post Dec 28 2020, 12:29 AM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,019 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Dec 27 2020, 09:31 AM)
If use RAID-5, all the HDD need to be in same size. You can add bigger HDD but it can only utilize same space as the smallest size HDD in the pool. SHR would be the better choice if mixes sizes HDD as it can maxed out the utilization.

If recovery, RAID-5 need to constantly read from the remaining HDD to do the rebuild, it create more stress to the remaining HDD.

RAID-1 when rebuild poses same risk as RAID-5 in that if another HDD failure it means all the data will be unrecoverable. That is why need to have multiple copies of backup for important data. 3-2-1 backup rule is always the recommended way. If your NAS data is always being use for read and write/amend, that is not backup, that is just your present data. You need to have at least another 2 backup, and one of the backup is stored in different place.
from my read that RAID-5 & SHR are similar... so all type of RAID does had risk then.. indeed the 3-2-1 rules the best 👍
Well maybe proceed with SHR for the maxed out utilisation then, thanks ✌
yanjinowa
post Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM

On my way
562 posts

Nice write up, I have considering between DS920+ and TS-453D.
Just wonder, is this with 4GB of RAM?

also think if under normal scenario like photo viewing, video streaming and simple file viewing, does NVME cache helps.
TSxxboxx
post Jan 15 2021, 03:36 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM)

also think if under normal scenario like photo viewing, video streaming and simple file viewing, does NVME cache helps.
Thanks. It is with 4GB RAM. If normal usage without virtual machine is more than enough. If not enough still got a slot to add RAM.
I see TS-453D have 2.5Gb port, which is useful if your hardware support the faster speed. But I think software side Synology are more polished.

In theory, NVME cache should help if you have same files that you frequently access. If you always open the same files, it will be cached.
If you just open 1 time only to view then won't open it anymore, such as movie or series, then cache won't help. If you always streams same music file then it will help.
ktek
post Jan 15 2021, 05:56 PM

워터파크
All Stars
11,035 posts

QUOTE(yanjinowa @ Jan 15 2021, 02:03 PM)

a friend teach me install 1gb ram = 1 tb disk.
cache = possible hit or miss. no gurantee
TSxxboxx
post Jan 15 2021, 06:03 PM

4,827 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 15 2021, 05:56 PM)
a friend teach me install 1gb ram = 1 tb disk.
cache = possible hit or miss. no gurantee
1gb ram = 1 tb disk is FreeNAS or ZFS rule.
Prebuilt NAS don't have such requirement.
yanjinowa
post Jan 18 2021, 12:08 PM

On my way
562 posts

wow, self-build NAS need condition of 1GB:1TB... good to know about it.
Looking at some online comment the Celeron J4125 processor only support max 8GB of RAM from official Intel spec. I am not sure how much RAM is needed as DSM maybe can utilize RAM efficiently just like iOS could.

Anyway, i have pulled trigger for DS920+, considering my network condition does not have 2.5GBe port and DSM is supposed to be easier to manage.

Any good way to export photo from Google Take Out with metadata?
I got it in JSON format and yet to find how to proceed.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0309sec    0.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th May 2022 - 05:12 PM