Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

CGPA - how to calculate, and why u should dare to fail!

views

TSazarimy
post Aug 16 2007, 11:36 PM, updated 5y ago

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

what is this guide about?

this guide is written to assist university or college students to understand more about the grading system at tertiery education level. students are often trapped under the pretense that once they've failed, their grades can never go up again. this is fairly untrue in most of the cases. however it is important to note that not all tertiery education system follows the same CGPA system. what i've tabled out below are applicable to local IPTAs, several IPTSs and most UK based universities.

what is CGPA?

ultimately, CGPA is where everything boils down to in ur studies. it stands for Cummulative Grade Point Average, hence CGPA, which is an accumulation of all ur grade points divided to every single credit u take. CGPA is also the determining factor of whether u get to graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper, 2nd class lower or 3rd class. however, the minimum point for each class differs from university to university. UTM for example classifies 1st class as 3.70 and above and 2nd class upper from 3.00 to 3.69. MMU on the other hand classifies 2nd class upper from 3.30 to 3.69.

what is calculated?

CGPA is calculated based on all subjects that u take. each subjects usually comes with a credit value. some less important subjects carry between 1 to 2 credits, more important ones carry 3 to 4, and the core subjects can carry between 5 to 8 credits each. also, there are subjects categorized as "compulsory attendance only" (hadir wajib sahaja) which usually carry 0 credits. these subjects hold no value, but failing it (due to poor attendance or whatever) will still hold u down from graduating successfully.

how is it calculated?

for each subject that u've successfully taken, a grade will be issued after the final exam. these grades each carry a specific point value. typically, A carries 4.00, B carries 3.00 and C carries 2.00. each of these points will be calculated based on the credit rating of each subject, and later summed up to give u ur GPA for that particular semester. for example:

semester 1

subject M (6 credits): B = 3.00
subject N (2 credits): A = 4.00
subject O (3 credits): C = 2.00

(6 x 3.00) + (2 x 4.00) + (3 x 2.00) = 32 total grade point for 11 credits. hence, your GPA for semester 1 is:

32 / 11 = 2.91 GPA for sem 1. since this is ur first semester, ur GPA is also ur CGPA.

semester 2

subject P (6 credits): A = 4.00
subject Q (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject R (3 credits): E = 0.00 (FAIL)
subject S (2 credits): B = 3.00

(6 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 0.00) + (2 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 14 credits. hence your GPA for semester 2 is:

39 / 14 = 2.79 GPA for sem 2

now that this is ur second semester, ur CGPA will be calculated by combining the two. however, a direct average is wrong. CGPA is calculated NOT based on the average of GPAs per semester, but based on grade points per credit that u take. to calculate ur CGPA based on the two semesters above:

[(total grade point for sem 1) + (total grade point for sem 2)] / total credit taken in all semesters

[(32) + (39)] / (11 + 14) = 2.84 CGPA

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

now, let's try the next semester where u retake the failed subject:

semester 3

subject R (3 credits): A = 4.00 (REPEATED SUBJECT)
subject T (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject U (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject V (3 credits): B = 3.00

(3 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 12 credits. hence your GPA for semester 3 is:

39 / 12 = 3.25 GPA.

now, how do u calculate ur CGPA when u have a repeated subject? here's the main rule: u recalculate the repeated subject by replacing the old grade with the new one. it means, in ur CGPA calculation, u never failed ur subject R, u actually scored A! lets see what it looks like:

[(grade points for sem 1) + (grade points for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (grade points for sem 3)] / [(credit for sem 1) + (credit for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (credit for sem 3)]

[(32) + (39 - 0) + (39)] / [(11) + (14 - 3) + (12)] = 110 / 34 = 3.24 CGPA!

a lot of students made the mistake of including the failed subject into the calculation despite having repeated it. here's what the wrong calculation usually looks like:

implications

wrong calculations would lead to students being afraid to fail, simply bcoz the impression that failed subjects would drag the CGPA even further down. this is wrong. repeating the failed subject replaces the old grades. in ur CGPA, it is as if u've never failed before. most students would simply accept a C- or D+, which is usually the minimum passing rate, in hope that they dont have to ever repeat the subject, and hopefully score more subjects in time.

thing is, once u've got a D+/C-, it's very hard to catch up and drag ur pointers up. i strongly advise students whom ultimately concerned for their grades to DARE to fail and repeat it again. ofcourse, certain subjects are big enough that repeating means u have to extend another semester. well, if it means graduating between a 2nd class lower and a 2nd class upper, why not?

good luck! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by azarimy: Sep 18 2008, 06:39 PM
kenneth87
post Aug 16 2007, 11:44 PM

~~"\(0.0)/"~~
956 posts

Let say i got a C for subject A and i plan to retake again... Will the retaking score replace the old cgpa?
TSazarimy
post Aug 17 2007, 12:05 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

if ur school actually permits u to do that, then yes, it will replace the old cgpa. however, the new grade will replace the old one regardless which one's higher. meaning, if u repeat subject A and failed, it will count as a fail and the original C is dissolved.

in any case, not many schools would allow u to repeat a subject that u did not fail.
cavcite
post Aug 17 2007, 04:15 PM

Casual
324 posts

yup...my fren brave enuff to get fail his subject rather than getting C or D,his extended one semester more than me..just to make sure he pass syarat to take master degree
TSazarimy
post Aug 17 2007, 06:13 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

this system seems unfair to the non-failers, isnt it?

now, lets address the most common misconception over this system. we are extremely conditioned to accept that failure is not an option, or fail = death since school. we even frown upon those who ever failed at something, anything. and those who've failed will carry with them a shoulder load of shame all their life. this is not a good environment to encourage learning.

this will only encourage people to find ways not to fail. some studied really hard, some studied smart and some cheated - all for the sake of not to fail. but that's missing the point entirely. we're talking about adult education, where people start to have more things to do other than study. the nature of tertiery education is independent learning, where a student is self motivated to learn, not bcoz the teacher's teaching or their parents says so.

the ability to fail and repeat the subject is an option previously unavailable in school. the cost of failing in school is simply unbearable. fail a subject, and u repeat the entire year. that's not very encouraging.

so in tertiery level education, u are given an opportunity to fail a particular subject and retake it in the future. yes, it does however come with several drawbacks:
    i. subjects are not always available every semester. failing a particular subject offered only once a year would mean u'd have to wait several months before resitting the subject again.

ii. repeating a credit means paying the fees again. yes, u've paid for the previous credit that u've failed. but now u're retaking it again. so pay up!

iii. repeating would often mean extending ur studies. literally, u wont be graduating the same year as 1st year friends. it's kinda weird going to convocations where u dont know the rest of the graduates.

iv. learning with ur juniors might not be the same or as fun as learning with ur friends. but some guys find this a great way to get to know girls tongue.gif

TeckPeow
post Aug 17 2007, 06:57 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Aug 16 2007, 11:36 PM)
semester 3

subject V (2 credits): B = 3.00

(3 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 11 credits. hence your GPA for semester 3 is:

39 / 11 = 3.54 GPA. well done! that's a dean's list for u wink.gif.

Subject V is 2 credits so it should be multiplied by 2 instead of 3?

The GPA is only 3.27 not 3.54.

This post has been edited by TeckPeow: Aug 17 2007, 07:00 PM
TSazarimy
post Aug 17 2007, 07:00 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(TeckPeow @ Aug 17 2007, 06:57 PM)
Subject V is 2 credits so it should be multiplied by 2 instead of 3?
aiyaaah... dammit u're right. thanks for the heads up. too many numbers make me dizzy already rclxub.gif

corrected! again, thanks for the heads up!

This post has been edited by azarimy: Aug 17 2007, 07:03 PM
mutt
post Aug 17 2007, 08:13 PM

please pronounce my nick as 'mood/mut' not 'mud/mat
1,288 posts

this thread is useful for freshies.. gud work TS rclxms.gif
jasperng
post Aug 17 2007, 09:28 PM

- Eminent Leader -
1,263 posts

=o! good guide you have here... this should be pinned for easy reference for freshies ^^
yixings
post Jan 4 2008, 10:02 AM

Getting Started
202 posts

I think a good uni shouldn't grade according to fix points, else it will have tonnes of honour student.

Instead it should be awarded according to distribution.

Too bad that our local unis are pratising the former, so that the chancellors can claim that so many honour students are produced, hence their uni are the good one!

My experience of interviewing the first batch of a new local uni, out of a total of 105 graduates, 50 of them got 1st class, and the rest 2nd upper. I found this out because the dean gave me 40 resume which are all 1st class students!

This post has been edited by yixings: Jan 4 2008, 10:06 AM
djspinnet
post Jan 4 2008, 11:03 AM

On my way
532 posts

My uni while it gives us the method to calculate CGPA, they recommend the WAM method instead - weighted average mark. It's fair to all students and you get the WAM score that you truly earn rather than weezling round an easily exploitable system.
TSazarimy
post Jan 4 2008, 05:16 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(yixings @ Jan 4 2008, 02:02 AM)
I think a good uni shouldn't grade according to fix points, else it will have tonnes of honour student.

Instead it should be awarded according to distribution.

Too bad that our local unis are pratising the former, so that the chancellors can claim that so many honour students are produced, hence their uni are the good one!

My experience of interviewing the first batch of a new local uni, out of a total of 105 graduates, 50 of them got 1st class, and the rest 2nd upper. I found this out because the dean gave me 40 resume which are all 1st class students!
well, making honours harder to get can push the prestige of a school over the roof, but that doesnt quite work in universities that are struggling to even get into the top 100, where it can be counter productive. reason:

in mass education, we're always pushing to produce as many able professional graduates. although i'm not emphasizing quantity over quality, but producing mass quantities of people fulfilling the quality aspects. lets use an analogy of riding a bicycle. take 10 kids that has never ridden a bicycle before, and teach them how to ride. u give them "pass" if they could ride a bike for a few metres within a day, and distinction/honours if they could ride them all the way along the track without falling.

now, we all know not everyone CAN achieve honours in a day. but given time, everybody COULD be able to achieve honours or distinctions. so which is more important? churning out 1 or 2 honour students by constricting the title, or opening up where everybody, even the dyslexics to have a chance at honours? at the end of the day, employers would want quality workers. after graduation, the graduates apply more than they acquire (as opposed as in school), so employers need not worry if their honours students are slow learners.

and FYI, malaysian universities are not the only university practicing this grading method wink.gif
Benjamin911
post Jan 4 2008, 08:05 PM

~`~artisan`~
777 posts

semester 3

(3 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 12 credits. hence your GPA for semester 3 is:

39 / 12 = 3.25 GPA.

now, how do u calculate ur CGPA when u have a repeated subject? here's the main rule: u recalculate the repeated subject by replacing the old grade with the new one. it means, in ur CGPA calculation, u never failed ur subject R, u actually scored A! lets see what it looks like:

[(grade points for sem 1) + (grade points for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (grade points for sem 3)] / [(credit for sem 1) + (credit for sem 2 excluding the failed subject) + (credit for sem 3)]

a lot of students made the mistake of including the failed subject into the calculation despite having repeated it. here's what the wrong calculation usually looks like:

� Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... �

[(32) + (39) + (39)] / [(11) + (14) + (11)] = 110 / 36 = 3.06 CGPA!

can u see how much difference it can make if u calculate ur grades wrongly?
azarimy;

Thanks for such a useful thread. smile.gif

However, I would like to know why do you have to add 11 instead of 12 in your second (Student mistake) equation; depicting credits for semester III?

Is it a mistake?

This post has been edited by Benjamin911: Jan 4 2008, 08:06 PM
Darkmage12
post Jan 4 2008, 11:24 PM

shhhhhhhhh come i tell you something hehe
All Stars
17,053 posts

wow you should dare to fail notworthy.gif
skyliner
post Jan 5 2008, 07:36 AM

aku orang
627 posts

remind me of my CG, isk isk isk isk isk....
chungwl20
post Jun 9 2008, 04:05 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Hello, anyone know how to calculate CGPA with given cumulative average? for example my cumulative average is 60.50. So, how to convert to CGPA as my college doesnt calculate CGPA for me, just gv me my cumulative average..
farique
post Jun 9 2008, 07:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(chungwl20 @ Jun 9 2008, 04:05 PM)
Hello, anyone know how to calculate CGPA with given cumulative average? for example my cumulative average is 60.50. So, how to convert to CGPA as my college doesnt calculate CGPA for me, just gv me my cumulative average..
I believe they give the grades as well right? like A, B, C, D, E ,F etc?

my school gave A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, C+,C-, D, E and F for Fail as the grades..

my goodness, this thread deserved to be pinned as a guide and discussions. nod.gif
fruitie
post Jun 9 2008, 07:20 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(chungwl20 @ Jun 9 2008, 04:05 PM)
What is the total credit hour? For example, if it's 18 hours. Then 60.50/18 = 3.361 is your CGPA smile.gif
Crazy.SoT.Gila
post Jun 18 2008, 09:30 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Erm, this may sound stupid, but would it differ between having a "W" and "F" in the transcript?
ujah
post Jun 18 2008, 10:11 PM

Casual
340 posts

wow, really scare to fail...after i reading this thread, i suppose to say that "u only have 1 shot if u don't want to turn back".
TSazarimy
post Jun 18 2008, 10:58 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Crazy.SoT.Gila @ Jun 18 2008, 01:30 PM)
Erm, this may sound stupid, but would it differ between having a "W" and "F" in the transcript?
this may sound even more stupid, but i have no idea what u're talking about.

QUOTE(ujah @ Jun 18 2008, 02:11 PM)
wow, really scare to fail...after i reading this thread, i suppose to say that "u only have 1 shot if u don't want to turn back".
the point of this thread is why u should never be scared of failing. if u get it the other way around, maybe u should read again wink.gif.
europology
post Jun 18 2008, 11:02 PM

Pantheon of Goddesses
4,261 posts

Azarimy, can you pls elaborate for us the pointers for each honours (1st class, 2nd upper class etc) cos I don't have a single idea of it. Thx.
TSazarimy
post Jun 18 2008, 11:08 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

pointers? u mean the numerical value of it?

the value varies from university to university, hence why i only put an instance in my example earlier. some universities may have 1st class starting from 3.75, others may be about 3.65. on the other hand, 2nd class upper may be from 3.30, others as low as 2.90.

yes, it varies too much that it's hard to make an objective comment.
Crazy.SoT.Gila
post Jun 19 2008, 01:03 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 18 2008, 10:58 PM)
the point of this thread is why u should never be scared of failing. if u get it the other way around, maybe u should read again wink.gif.
Erm, probably different systems I guess. I'm taking ADP right now, and I have the option to withdraw from subject(s) by a certain date of a semester. However there'll be a "W" (Withdrawal) in my transcript. Would it be any different (as in impressions, acceptance, scholarships, etc.) from having an "F" (Fail) in the transcript? In both cases I'd still need to take up the subject in future semesters.

This post has been edited by Crazy.SoT.Gila: Jun 19 2008, 01:04 AM
ujah
post Jun 19 2008, 01:22 AM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 18 2008, 11:58 PM)
ops, i read back again n i found my little misunderstanding.
anyway in my other point, that my perspective...i should study really hard.
TSazarimy
post Jun 19 2008, 02:11 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Crazy.SoT.Gila @ Jun 18 2008, 05:03 PM)
Erm, probably different systems I guess. I'm taking ADP right now, and I have the option to withdraw from subject(s) by a certain date of a semester. However there'll be a "W" (Withdrawal) in my transcript. Would it be any different (as in impressions, acceptance, scholarships, etc.) from having an "F" (Fail) in the transcript? In both cases I'd still need to take up the subject in future semesters.
it makes no difference between a withdrawal and a failure if u can replace ur credits later on.
ujah
post Jun 19 2008, 03:21 AM

Casual
340 posts

2nd upper class and 2nd lower class, i know its different but is it so 'ketara'?
i mean get a job, is it make any change of salary? i mean big changes?
Demonic Wrath
post Jun 24 2008, 06:57 PM

My name so cool
1,666 posts

I think he explained until quite simple already.

semester 1

(6 x 3.00) + (2 x 4.00) + (3 x 2.00) = 32 total grade point for 11 credits. hence, your GPA for semester 1 is:

32 / 11 = 2.91 GPA for sem 1. since this is ur first semester, ur GPA is also ur CGPA.

In this case
Let's say a student get grade B for subject M, grade A for subject N and grade C for subject O.

According to the pointer set by the examination,
CODE
Grade A worth 4.00
Grade B worth 3.00
Grade C worth 2.00

So,
Since subject M is worth 6 credits, it'd be 6 credits x 3.00 = 18 grade point
Since subject N is worth 2 credits, it'd be 2 credits x 4.00 = 8 grade point
Since subject O is worth 3 credits, it'd be 3 credits x 2.00 = 6 grade point

So the total is 18 + 8 + 6 = 32 points and to get the GPA you'll need to divide it by 11 credits (6 credits for subject M + 2 credits for subject N + 3 credits for subject O) so in the end you'll get 2.91 GPA for Semester 1.

CODE
32/11 = 2.91 GPA

This post has been edited by Demonic Wrath: Jun 24 2008, 07:07 PM
AskarPerang
post Jun 24 2008, 08:37 PM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,136 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Aug 17 2007, 12:05 AM)
if ur school actually permits u to do that, then yes, it will replace the old cgpa. however, the new grade will replace the old one regardless which one's higher. meaning, if u repeat subject A and failed, it will count as a fail and the original C is dissolved.

Sorry, but I think the system will still take the results with a higher grade. But the disadvantage is that you have to pay RM 200++ (depending the credits of the subject) to retake the subject. It's called UG (ULANG GRADE).

p/s: I'm sure that's the system in public university.
TSazarimy
post Jun 24 2008, 08:50 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(AskarPerang @ Jun 24 2008, 12:37 PM)
Sorry, but I think the system will still take the results with a higher grade. But the disadvantage is that you have to pay RM 200++ (depending the credits of the subject) to retake the subject. It's called UG (ULANG GRADE).

p/s: I'm sure that's the system in public university.
i couldnt say no bcoz i dont have the system for the entire IPTA, but that is how it is in UTM. and if UTM follows the system by the book, then i'm sure it applies to other universities as well.

and thanks to angel49 for the explanation!
AskarPerang
post Jun 24 2008, 09:16 PM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,136 posts

Are you sure it will replace the old grade with the new one regardless of the results?

Can you still UG after getting C+?
TSazarimy
post Jun 24 2008, 09:28 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(AskarPerang @ Jun 24 2008, 01:16 PM)
Are you sure it will replace the old grade with the new one regardless of the results?

Can you still UG after getting C+?
yes. 2 reasons:

i. if they let u choose the higher, then they're putting someone's hand into the bowl that can decide or even change the results. that can easily lead to corruption.

ii. they dont want students to repeat subjects sesuka hati. only those who've failed subjects should repeat, bcoz they cant go any lower. if they allow u to choose whichever higher, kiasu students will extend themselves another year to repeat all those B subjects so that they can score an A. this will cause the university bcoming bloated with extending students who shouldve graduated sucessfully.
tracy chan
post Jun 24 2008, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

does anyone know how the CGPA counted in UKM?
whats the grade for First Honour Degree and Second Upper?
Demonic Wrath
post Jun 24 2008, 11:03 PM

My name so cool
1,666 posts

azarimy, you thanked the wrong person biggrin.gif

Anyway, I know UMS is using this calculation. That's why my senior tell me: if you think you can't make it, then fail the paper. Don't just barely pass.
TSazarimy
post Jun 24 2008, 11:18 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Demonic Wrath @ Jun 24 2008, 03:03 PM)
azarimy, you thanked the wrong person biggrin.gif

Anyway, I know UMS is using this calculation. That's why my senior tell me: if you think you can't make it, then fail the paper. Don't just barely pass.
lol. thanks demonic wrath biggrin.gif
ark890
post Jul 23 2008, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

Azarimy,

I would like to correct you about the "DARE TO FAIL" advice to others.

No wonder Malaysian and UK degrees are so easy to get high CGPA scores.They could always rework/mend their failed grades given the extra time they get.

This is not the case in Australian Universities.Failing more subjects would mean dragging you down further actually.

Why?

In your case, failing a subject means resitting/reunit the whole subject giving it a fresh start.

With Australian degree programs let's assume you have 10 subjects in your degree program.

(This GPA calculation method is used by Australia and European countries such as in Germany)

Failing 2 subjects would mean dividing the total score by 12 not 10.

A+ = 7; A=6, B=5, C=4...so on A failed grade will result with a score of 1

Student A scored B in all his 10 subjects = 10 x 5 = 50/10subjects = Final score: 5.0/7.0(total band of 7), CGPA(max score is 4.0)

Student B failed 2 subjects among the 10 he sat with the rest of the subjects getting B
To add say he managed to get A for the 2 subjects which he reunit.(p=points)
= (5p x 8) + (2 x 1p) + (2 x 6p) = 54p / 12 (note the 2 failed subjects are added in) = 4.5/7.0???

See the contrast in quality and strictness for Australian/European(German/French/Swiss/Dutch) degree programs?
Despite, getting 2 distinctions for his subjects, student B will have his failed subjects listed down in his academic transcript as well as 'F' and he'll be questioned by employers for it.

Further advise:

In regards to some forumers asking about the difference between 'W' and 'F'.Here's a proper answer:

Australian Universities allow you a cooling off period of 1 month when a subject commences.Should you feel that you can't cope with your studies with too much workload, you can always widthraw/drop the subject and postpone it the in the future semesters(further time delay).So getting an 'W' is just merely prolonging your study period but it's a safe take to avoid being penalized with a miserable 1.0 score point.

When you get a 'F' there's no turning back."Macam nasi sudah bertukar bubur".You'll have the 'F' engraved in your degree permanently forever and extra 1.0 point to pull your GPA score down further.Your only hope is to complete the degree by passing all your required subjects.A point of no return.

This post has been edited by ark890: Jul 23 2008, 12:21 PM
mrRighthand
post Jul 23 2008, 02:00 PM

Casual
437 posts

does the calculation include all subjects taken in ur degree(1st,2nd,3rd year etc) or just 3rd year subjects(or in aussie degree only the honours year subject is used?)? from wat i've read its based on the whole degree, right? for australian degree, do they use scaling to ensure only certain amount of students get 1st class honours?

This post has been edited by mrRighthand: Jul 23 2008, 02:15 PM
ark890
post Jul 23 2008, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

QUOTE(mrRighthand @ Jul 23 2008, 02:00 PM)
does the calculation include all subjects taken in ur degree(1st,2nd,3rd year etc) or just 3rd year subjects(or in aussie degree only the honours year subject is used?)? from wat i've read its based on the whole degree, right? for australian degree, do they use scaling to ensure only certain amount of students get 1st class honours?
It includes all subjects involved in the degree program starting from the first year.

The Honours award in Australian University is solely by invitation only.You've got to be truly outstanding to be eligible for honours(it's like a national prestigious award) and it'll require you to take an extra year of studies(=more money and time).The Dean will single handedly pick the best students every year in his faculty to offer them this privilege.

There's no first class, second class or third in Australian degrees unlike the UK style where you can amend your CGPA score by resitting the failed subjects over and over if you fail and overwriting the old grades.

The final GPA score which you get will determine your degree's overall score.

An Australian degree with distinction would require you to have a GPA of >6.0.This alone is near impossible unless you have a string of As or A+(HD) in your academic transcript.The "Amohs" have some sense of pride in them, it is very hard to score in some of their papers especially the final year ones(if you're asian more likely they'll make it harder for you today).

You can consider a degree with a GPA of 6.0+ as first class but the Australians choose to humble you by calling it a degree with distinction, credit, pass and so on instead.

The more you fail, the more it's going to affect your overall score because each Fail(F) grade will contribute as an extra subject in your academic transcript.Your future employer may notice the number of times you fail a particular subject when he looks at your academic transcript.

I wouldn't worry about this if I were you.Most who study in Australian degrees are more worried about passing all their papers and getting the degree without delays.The papers are not easy and you would only have 1 attempt at them to really score.I feel this is a very good way to distinguish between real talents and normal people.

Their method of grade point calculation takes in consideration the number of times you fail.
There's no scaling or percentage quotas for first class in Australia.All merits are given strictly based on point cut-off ranges.

You've also asked about the honours year subjects being counted separately.That's true.If your grades fall below expectation, your honours degree will be downgraded to a postgraduate diploma + your normal degree.No honours degree will be rewarded.

This post has been edited by ark890: Jul 23 2008, 03:40 PM
TSazarimy
post Jul 23 2008, 04:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

this is actually a difference of philosophy in education rather than quality. the brits are very much into "life long learning" and "anybody can learn anything, given time". compare this with australian "score once for glory" and "everybody must do their best under the hardest situation".

there are advantages and disadvantages to these systems, but it doesnt make one inferior to the other. it just makes the UK system more suitable for those who're academically challenged, dyslexic, part time students, mature students and so on. australian loves glory, i'd give em that biggrin.gif. making the degree harder to score drives the value up.
ark890
post Jul 23 2008, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 23 2008, 04:09 PM)
this is actually a difference of philosophy in education rather than quality. the brits are very much into "life long learning" and "anybody can learn anything, given time". compare this with australian "score once for glory" and "everybody must do their best under the hardest situation".

there are advantages and disadvantages to these systems, but it doesnt make one inferior to the other. it just makes the UK system more suitable for those who're academically challenged, dyslexic, part time students, mature students and so on. australian loves glory, i'd give em that biggrin.gif. making the degree harder to score drives the value up.
Actually as an Australian degree holder, I personally don't like the strict method of awarding a degree as well. It's almost impossible to score a distinction with your degree and we don't get the chance to tell employers that we have a first class honours degree.All we can only tell them is that we have a so and so bachelor degree with the following GPA point.It's really a disadvantage to us even after putting up with so much effort.

Most Malaysian employers are so accustomed to CGPA point system and when we tell them we have a GPA score of let's say 5.5, they go "huh"? GPA only goes up to 4 woh.So how do I know you are first class or not, your degree only tells 5.5/7.0 what class is your degree?

I have mentioned this earlier in some other thread about failing in Australian degree courses.Do not be surprised that even if you're a top SPM/STPM student, you might still fail a subject or 2 in your university program.Life at overseas can be hard sometimes because you need to work at the same time to support yourself.Enrolling 4-5 subjects in one semester at Australian universities can sometimes make you feel like committing suicide(no joke, I'm not exaggerating)).It can be really difficult especially final year ones, I went through that before and you'll be so happy if you manage to just pass them all at the end of the semester.
satayboy2003
post Aug 5 2008, 03:44 PM

L.O.V.E
635 posts

there always got one chances .. take it or leave it!

Soulsareworthless
post Sep 18 2008, 02:45 PM

Madridista
3,413 posts

How do I convert A level grades into CGPA? For example I took 4 subjects and got AADD.
EquinoX
post Sep 18 2008, 03:25 PM

Casual
352 posts

Wow , this thread so useful , thanks smile.gif
I heard about this also from my sis which graduate from UPM in Engineering. Thats what she told me , she said that 1st and 2nd sem is almosy ur future. She said when 2nd and 3th year ur weightage(pemberat) increased , its harder and more harder to improve ur CGPA.
From what is see from previous thread, at 1st i though is like stpm counting, take the average one.

One i want to highlight is , if u score well in first 2years, the 3th years u can easy go on (For 3years graduate)
If u get 3.80 CGPA 2nd year. 5th and 6th sem , even u get 2.5CPA u will still continue get 3.5above or around right? bcz the weightage aready too much , if 5th sem u got 100credit hours, mean u need -100 to -1 CGPA , which mean almost impossible , cause we jus have not more 20credit hours, and not more 80pointers.
Right? Correct me if what i said was wrong thanks smile.gif
TSazarimy
post Sep 18 2008, 06:47 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Soulsareworthless @ Sep 18 2008, 06:45 AM)
How do I convert A level grades into CGPA? For example I took 4 subjects and got AADD.
u just average out the values of the grades. that's all. CGPA stands for cumulative grade point average, there's nothing cumulative in a single exam. so ur GPA would be to take A+A+D+D and divide by 4.

assuming A=4.0 and D=1.0, then ur GPA would be (4+4+1+1)/4 = 2.50gpa.

QUOTE(EquinoX @ Sep 18 2008, 07:25 AM)
Wow , this thread so useful , thanks smile.gif
I heard about this also from my sis which graduate from UPM in Engineering. Thats what she told me , she said that 1st and 2nd sem is almosy ur future. She said when 2nd and 3th year ur weightage(pemberat) increased , its harder and more harder to improve ur CGPA.
From what is see from previous thread, at 1st i though is like stpm counting, take the average one.

One i want to highlight is , if u score well in first 2years, the 3th years u can easy go on (For 3years graduate)
If u get 3.80 CGPA 2nd year. 5th and 6th sem , even u get 2.5CPA u will still continue get 3.5above or around right? bcz the weightage aready too much , if 5th sem u got 100credit hours, mean u need -100 to -1 CGPA , which mean almost impossible , cause we jus have not more 20credit hours, and not more 80pointers.
Right? Correct me if what i said was wrong thanks smile.gif
well, it is generally true that scoring earlier would be easier for u to maintain higher grades, however i'm not sure i understand ur explanation in ur calculations biggrin.gif.

basically, the reason why scoring earlier is easier is bcoz the subjects tend to be easier, not the loading. and u live easier knowing that u have higher CGPA - people look up to u, lecturers are more open to u and u can brag with orang2 kampung about how good u are tongue.gif. but if u really look at it, scoring the last 2 years also produces the same average. so it doesnt really matter when u score as long as u score it. however i strongly suggest that u score earlier simply bcoz of the easier subject and the positive psychological effects.
Soulsareworthless
post Sep 18 2008, 08:07 PM

Madridista
3,413 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 18 2008, 06:47 PM)
u just average out the values of the grades. that's all. CGPA stands for cumulative grade point average, there's nothing cumulative in a single exam. so ur GPA would be to take A+A+D+D and divide by 4.

assuming A=4.0 and D=1.0, then ur GPA would be (4+4+1+1)/4 = 2.50gpa.
My class mate told me that there is a CGPA upon 5 and another one upon 4, what is the difference?
cutejams2004
post Sep 19 2008, 08:34 PM

~Not Who U Think I Am~
941 posts

QUOTE(Soulsareworthless @ Sep 18 2008, 08:07 PM)
My class mate told me that there is a CGPA upon 5 and another one upon 4, what is the difference?
depends on ur uni's system...US system goes on a band of 4pointers

my question here is, if just say i passed (barely), cant i retake the subject? cry.gif if i knew this earlier, at least i would f just failed them
TSazarimy
post Sep 19 2008, 11:01 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(cutejams2004 @ Sep 19 2008, 12:34 PM)
my question here is, if just say i passed (barely), cant i retake the subject? cry.gif  if i knew this earlier, at least i would f just failed them
typically, u're only required to repeat a subject IF and only IF u fail. some people begged their lecturers to give them minimum pass, but didnt know how bad it would affect their overall CGPA later on. when i wrote the article, it was to educate that sometimes failure is better than pass wink.gif.

but in ur case, talk to ur course supervisor. he may allow u to revert ur earlier pass into a fail and allow u to retake the subject.
SUSrapeace
post Dec 15 2008, 03:55 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

Nice thread at least now i know how to count my CGPA point !!! i am wondering, does attendance effect your CGPA ??
i know not coming for class will get you barred from taking Final but does it affect your CGPA points ?? rclxub.gif

Few people have been complaining that their result should be better but maybe because they ponteng a few class, that why their result is much lower than expected !! tongue.gif

I also ponteng class a few time but does it really matter ??
Nekochan
post Dec 15 2008, 05:57 PM

Casual
321 posts

This is a good article.
TSazarimy
post Dec 22 2008, 10:02 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(rapeace @ Dec 15 2008, 07:55 AM)
Nice thread at least now i know how to count my CGPA point !!! i am wondering, does attendance effect your CGPA ??
i know not coming for class will get you barred from taking Final but does it affect your CGPA points ?? rclxub.gif

Few people have been complaining that their result should be better but maybe because they ponteng a few class, that why their result is much lower than expected !! tongue.gif

I also ponteng class a few time but does it really matter ??
sorry for the late reply.

no, attendance or commitment in class does not directly affect ur CGPA. what usually happens is that the lecturer puts 5% attendance marks in ur semester grades. this 5% mark normally is not enough to significantly affect ur overall grade, but a 0 is a definite 1 grade down. meaning if u're supposed to score A-, a 0% attendance is immediately a B+. the GPA difference between an A- and B+ is usually 3.70 and 3.30.

so that's how attendance could affect ur CGPA. but do remember that not all lecturers or subjects have a 5% attendance marks. it is up to the school's discretion to add that. if u're lucky, u might end up in a class that does not emphasis on attendance, so u can ponteng all u want wink.gif
eLL_lAzyPiG
post Dec 26 2008, 09:15 PM

Getting Started
130 posts

this is a great topic~guess that i have to study as hard as possible for my 1st semester in any college or uni
TSazarimy
post Jan 1 2009, 01:37 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(eLL_lAzyPiG @ Dec 26 2008, 01:15 PM)
this is a great topic~guess that i have to study as hard as possible for my 1st semester in any college or uni
u should just study hard all the time tongue.gif
gilagila007
post Jan 11 2009, 01:38 AM

1 posts

hey, i want to know right, i failed a few subjects inmy college, so im retaking it, so when it adds up my new cgpa, will it replace the credit hours with the credithours that i failed, all will it just keep adding up and then count my cgpa?

OR IT REPLACES THE OLD FAILED CREDITHOURS? PLS. IM DYING HERE
levanter
post Jan 19 2009, 08:02 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

so just wondering, if an employer requires you a minimum of 3.2 cgpa, and you have an australian degree with a cgpa of 4.2, what is your cgpa if converted to uk style?
Josephine_J
post Feb 15 2009, 02:02 PM

17 posts

I'm not gonna fail or anything, just trying to pull my CGPA up, if it's possible!

Thanks for the explanation!
cahayaninety
post Feb 16 2009, 09:37 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

gee. i never really cared about this b4. nw... hmm.. thanx TS.
TSazarimy
post Feb 16 2009, 09:45 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(gilagila007 @ Jan 10 2009, 05:38 PM)
hey, i want to know right, i failed a few subjects inmy college, so im retaking it, so when it adds up my new cgpa, will it replace the credit hours with the credithours that i failed, all will it just keep adding up and then count my cgpa?

OR IT REPLACES THE OLD FAILED CREDITHOURS? PLS. IM DYING HERE
it depends on whether ur college follows the typical UK calculations.

apparently there are colleges in malaysia that doesnt replace the old failed credit hours. this burdens the students greatly and doesnt allow them to improve themselves.

QUOTE(levanter @ Jan 19 2009, 12:02 PM)
so just wondering, if an employer requires you a minimum of 3.2 cgpa, and you have an australian degree with a cgpa of 4.2, what is your cgpa if converted to uk style?
first u gonna have to find a conversion value for the grades. typical UK value would be A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0. then u convert ALL ur grades according to this value and add them all up. then take ur credit hours for the subjects, add them all up. finally, take the total grade points and divide them with the total credit hours and u'll get the new converted CGPA.

violin_player84
post Feb 17 2009, 01:30 AM

Getting Started
289 posts

rmit - CGPA 4 = all the results HD's

to graduate with distinction u need at least "3"

however , for us if u pass the paper only u will get CGPA 1 . then follow by credit "2" and distinction "3"

low like mad
MyKy44
post Feb 17 2009, 10:07 AM

kaki bodek staff
2,821 posts

yeah, sometimes it's better to fail/get lower grades, so can retake nod.gif

but so far i haven't face such situation yet (thankfully.. biggrin.gif)
TSazarimy
post Feb 17 2009, 10:59 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

do note that not every college/university allows students to repeat a low graded subjects. most of them only allow a repeat of failed subjects.
Valkrie
post Feb 17 2009, 02:44 PM

3 posts

got formula for ths CGPA?
TSazarimy
post Feb 17 2009, 06:04 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Valkrie @ Feb 17 2009, 06:44 AM)
got formula for ths CGPA?
oh for god's sake go and read the first post!
siew14
post Feb 17 2009, 09:44 PM

Enthusiast
838 posts

Haih.. Too bad, i m taking aus degree prog.. dammit.. fail 2 sub and retake back liao... sien..

Added on March 6, 2009, 10:25 amQuestion here... what is the difference between credit hour taken and credit hour completed when i calculate my CGPA???

my total grade value = 59.75
credit hour taken = 27
credit hour completed = 24

My Result
My total cgpa is 2.21 wor... rclxub.gif

then if total grade value for ITC and LAW = 15, then my cgpa got any changes???

seriously need help... sad.gif

This post has been edited by siew14: Mar 6 2009, 10:25 AM
tcken
post Jun 1 2009, 05:21 AM

Casual
410 posts

Aww this is what I looking. Wondering my diploma cgpa can reach 2.20 or not. I have many resit subjects so its mean I only calculate for the pass paper only? those failed just ignore?

This post has been edited by tcken: Jun 1 2009, 05:23 AM
TSazarimy
post Jun 1 2009, 05:30 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(tcken @ May 31 2009, 09:21 PM)
Aww this is what I looking. Wondering my diploma cgpa can reach 2.20 or not. I have many resit subjects so its mean I only calculate for the pass paper only? those failed just ignore?
which university/college are u in now? for IPTAs, u can follow this guide, but if u're in a private college, there are different ways of calculating CGPAs.

if u're referring to the system i've explained in this thread, then yes, u only calculate the grades based on the subjects u've retaken/resit and ignore the first ones that u failed. but if u havent retaken the subject, the failure will be counted. biggrin.gif.
tcken
post Jun 1 2009, 06:40 AM

Casual
410 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 1 2009, 05:30 AM)
which university/college are u in now? for IPTAs, u can follow this guide, but if u're in a private college, there are different ways of calculating CGPAs.

if u're referring to the system i've explained in this thread, then yes, u only calculate the grades based on the subjects u've retaken/resit and ignore the first ones that u failed. but if u havent retaken the subject, the failure will be counted. biggrin.gif.
I'm just graduated from tarc this year. I was a repeated student so i took 3 years to finish my diploma. Kinda shame - - Now I'm applying for uni south aus for continue my studies degree. Unisa required at least 2.20 cgpa, and my college need 1 month to get done the transcript for me, so i want to count it myself 1st ;<

This post has been edited by tcken: Jun 1 2009, 06:42 AM
Joey Christensen
post Jun 1 2009, 12:54 PM

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum
3,645 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Dec 22 2008, 10:02 AM)
sorry for the late reply.

no, attendance or commitment in class does not directly affect ur CGPA. what usually happens is that the lecturer puts 5% attendance marks in ur semester grades. this 5% mark normally is not enough to significantly affect ur overall grade, but a 0 is a definite 1 grade down. meaning if u're supposed to score A-, a 0% attendance is immediately a B+. the GPA difference between an A- and B+ is usually 3.70 and 3.30.

so that's how attendance could affect ur CGPA. but do remember that not all lecturers or subjects have a 5% attendance marks. it is up to the school's discretion to add that. if u're lucky, u might end up in a class that does not emphasis on attendance, so u can ponteng all u want wink.gif
Attendance carry a weight on its own too in Univ. I had a fair share of experience in a local Univ. Yu have to maintain a healthy a.k.a 80% of attendance if yu really want to sit for the final examinations.

There's a few friends of mine, they were barred from taking the final examinations because of attendance issues. They were required to write letters to state their justification(s) on why their attendance were low. MUAHAHAHA~~~~poor souls.

Regards, Joey~~~

p.s: There's a 5% marks for attendance too back in my Univ days. But this varies from one lecturer to another. Sometimes your "attendance in class", "participation/involvement", etc in class, plays a pivotal fulcrum in getting an "A" or a "A-". So there's an effect on attendance as well as your CGPA, so to speak.

This post has been edited by Joey Christensen: Jun 1 2009, 12:56 PM
bearbear
post Jun 1 2009, 01:30 PM

You'll Never Walk Alone!~!~
All Stars
10,058 posts

QUOTE(tcken @ Jun 1 2009, 06:40 AM)
I'm just graduated from tarc this year. I was a repeated student so i took 3 years to finish my diploma. Kinda shame - - Now I'm applying for uni south aus for continue my studies degree. Unisa required at least 2.20 cgpa, and my college need 1 month to get done the transcript for me, so i want to count it myself 1st ;<
tarcian here

when you fail the cgpa they count in the transcript does include your failure subject, counting it as 0. They will however update it to whatever grade you obtained in your resit paper.
tcken
post Jun 1 2009, 05:02 PM

Casual
410 posts

QUOTE(bearbear @ Jun 1 2009, 01:30 PM)
tarcian here

when you fail the cgpa they count in the transcript does include your failure subject, counting it as 0. They will however update it to whatever grade you obtained in your resit paper.
so it mean failed subjects doesn't mean anything to cgpa as long as resit paper grade will replace it? And just the transcript result look bad since there are many C- and F. Isn't it?

This post has been edited by tcken: Jun 1 2009, 05:05 PM
bearbear
post Jun 1 2009, 05:40 PM

All Stars
10,058 posts

QUOTE(tcken @ Jun 1 2009, 05:02 PM)
so it mean failed subjects doesn't mean anything to cgpa as long as resit paper grade will replace it? And just the transcript result look bad since there are many C- and F. Isn't it?
yes it will stand as it is until you pass, sry i made a mistake if C- or D u still get points but its low. Your resit result which pass will replace it later on.

yup, it will look bad when you get the full transcript. but who ask you to show it when you can just show your diploma cert? biggrin.gif
TSazarimy
post Jun 1 2009, 05:45 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

even if they could see the full transcript, u could just explain to them that at that time u dont like that particular lecturer or vice versa, or u got into an accident during exam day or whatever. the point is, u retook the subject and passed. that's all that matters.
tcken
post Jun 1 2009, 05:58 PM

Casual
410 posts

I see. Thanks guys for helping. Anyway, do you think 2.20 is easy to reach ? Sigh..
bearbear
post Jun 1 2009, 06:09 PM

All Stars
10,058 posts

QUOTE(tcken @ Jun 1 2009, 05:58 PM)
I see. Thanks guys for helping. Anyway, do you think 2.20 is easy to reach ? Sigh..
yes, hv faith in yourself and work hard.

i was retained as well for a year because i have failed subjects in diploma(i was always failing and in the end my cgpa is 2.4), i made it through and i've never fail again in advanced diploma. my cgpa for adv dip is above 3.00

good luck to u

This post has been edited by bearbear: Jun 1 2009, 06:10 PM
lpfan182
post Jun 10 2009, 08:51 PM

5 posts

Just to be clear..uiam did not apply this type of cgpa calculation..so never dare to fail in uia..all uia's student can't replace the credit of fail subject..it still in your transcript eventhough you repeat billion of times..but beware that..if u just fail 3 times after repeat the same subject..huhu....say goodbye to uia..u have to be kick out..that's why study in uia is quite tough n their student are really scared of repeat..if u want to have a short period of study,never stdy in uia...hahaha u will lost about 1 year of your life here..haha i lost it already.. tongue.gif tongue.gif
steve_mobs
post Jun 10 2009, 10:52 PM

26 posts

if i get 2.29888
it should be 2.29 or 2.3 ?
TSazarimy
post Jun 10 2009, 11:29 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(lpfan182 @ Jun 10 2009, 12:51 PM)
Just to be clear..uiam did not apply this type of cgpa calculation..so never dare to fail in uia..all uia's student can't replace the credit of fail subject..it still in your transcript eventhough you repeat billion of times..but beware that..if u just fail 3 times after repeat the same subject..huhu....say goodbye to uia..u have to be  kick out..that's why study in uia is quite tough n their student are really scared of repeat..if u want to have a short period of study,never stdy in uia...hahaha u will lost about 1 year of your life here..haha i lost it already..  tongue.gif  tongue.gif
i never said it will replace entry of the failed subject in the transcripts. no IPTA would do that.

retaking a subject will replace the failed credit points, which means ur cgpa will be recalculated. if the failed credit points is not recalculated, then it will create a loophole where a student can take a 2 credit subject 35 times to fulfill the 70credits requirement for a degree. since UIA is still an IPTA, i'm pretty sure they use the exact same method i've mentioned in this topic.

but like i've mentioned before, it will not replace the entry in the transcripts. if u failed a subject and passed it the second time, u will have two entries: the first entry is the one u failed, the second is the one u passed. look at the cgpa, and u'll realize that it has been recalculated.
ken_zie
post Jun 11 2009, 01:43 AM

Enthusiast
826 posts

but... like in local uni... not every subjects are being offered every semester... failing one subject may cause you to extend one semester to grad just to take that particular subject...
TSazarimy
post Jun 11 2009, 01:49 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(ken_zie @ Jun 10 2009, 05:43 PM)
but... like in local uni... not every subjects are being offered every semester... failing one subject may cause you to extend one semester to grad just to take that particular subject...
not many knows this, but actually there are 3 semesters in a year - two normal semesters (about 16 weeks each) beginning july and another in december. there's a shorter semester called 'semester pendek', about 10 weeks, and begins in may. u can request the university to sit for that subject during that time, so that if u pass, u could graduate with ur friends. some universities might not allow this on the grounds that the lecturers would be engaged in research or paper writing, especially when they're short staffed. but normally they do allow it.

with that option now open, now think. do u really want to graduate with a minimum pass for certain crucial subjects? or what if u just need another 0.01 points to get a 1st class or 2nd class upper? wouldnt u wish u could retake certain subjects?

the option is open to u. an extra semester spent on another class might make the difference between getting the job of ur dreams or just lay back and whine about ur shortcomings.
OMG!
post Jun 12 2009, 09:13 AM

Raymond
1,397 posts

I heard my frens say that IPTS allow students to resit as many failed papers as they can...until the students grow old, and despite taking several years to complete their diploma...they still make it till the end..huh? true?

I supose IPTA won't give us that kind of priviledge cos we rarely see many ppl spend 6-7 years completing their bachelor degree. rclxub.gif
december88
post Jun 12 2009, 11:46 AM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(OMG! @ Jun 12 2009, 09:13 AM)
I heard my frens say that IPTS allow students to resit as many failed papers as they can...until the students grow old, and despite taking several years to complete their diploma...they still make it till the end..huh? true?

I supose IPTA won't give us that kind of priviledge cos we rarely see many ppl spend 6-7 years completing their bachelor degree. rclxub.gif
Resit=more $$$ for the institution.

Well from the discussion here it seems that if you failed you still have a chance to redeem yourself by repeating in order to improve your CGPA. Is this the case in Malaysia only?
Cause for my uni(australia) or probably for my faculty only(engineering) if you failed a course you have to repeat again and the maximum you will get by repeating will be cap to 50 marks(PASS grade) out of 100. Any comments?
ahcheap
post Jun 12 2009, 11:51 AM

TM UniFi/Streamyx Reseller
1,458 posts

QUOTE(steve_mobs @ Jun 10 2009, 10:52 PM)
if i get 2.29888
it should be 2.29 or 2.3 ?
Neither, it should be 2.29888 still
krizalid88
post Jun 12 2009, 12:22 PM

Enthusiast
981 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 10 2009, 11:29 PM)
i never said it will replace entry of the failed subject in the transcripts. no IPTA would do that.

retaking a subject will replace the failed credit points, which means ur cgpa will be recalculated. if the failed credit points is not recalculated, then it will create a loophole where a student can take a 2 credit subject 35 times to fulfill the 70credits requirement for a degree. since UIA is still an IPTA, i'm pretty sure they use the exact same method i've mentioned in this topic.

but like i've mentioned before, it will not replace the entry in the transcripts. if u failed a subject and passed it the second time, u will have two entries: the first entry is the one u failed, the second is the one u passed. look at the cgpa, and u'll realize that it has been recalculated.
my friend repeat paper almost of every semester but how could be his final CGPA now is higher than mine? shakehead.gif
TSazarimy
post Jun 12 2009, 06:30 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(krizalid88 @ Jun 12 2009, 04:22 AM)
my friend repeat paper almost of every semester but how could be his final CGPA now is higher than mine?  shakehead.gif
all have been explained in the first post.

the CGPA system is to reward people to not worry about failing. education is lifelong. if first u dont succeed, try harder. just bcoz somebody learns something a little slower than others, doesnt mean they cant earn a degree at the end wink.gif.
OMG!
post Jun 12 2009, 08:49 PM

Raymond
1,397 posts

that is not fair for IPTS to allow students to resit as many time as they can..

after all, if we talk about the quality of the graduates , IPTA should always be the best one!!=)
TSazarimy
post Jun 12 2009, 09:30 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(OMG! @ Jun 12 2009, 12:49 PM)

after all, if we talk about the quality of the graduates , IPTA should always be the best one!!=)
and why is not fair? are u saying slow people do not deserve the education? or do u categorize slow as being stupid?
OMG!
post Jun 12 2009, 09:38 PM

Raymond
1,397 posts

no, i dun mean like that..i am just saying that compare to IPTa, IPTS should never let their students resit as many failed papers as they can, this will degrade the quality of that insititutions.

My comments are that make sure they r well prepared before taking the tests. there shud never be a lame excuse or reason for failing the papers if u din work hard.

i wish to hear more from you regarding the systems of IPTA and IPTS..how diff the students there and how about the lecturers there?
do u think students at IPTA would be more disciplined than that of IPTS?

Hi, mr azarimy , nice to hear from you then=)
EmperorMeng
post Jun 12 2009, 10:33 PM

Jom Whaling
2,021 posts

implications

well, if it means graduating between a 2nd class lower and a 2nd class upper, why not? 

id rather get a 2nd class lower than retaking to get a 2nd class upper.
some1 with a 2nd class lower + 1 sem of working experience > some1 with a 2nd class upper with 0 working experience.
retake costs money
start working earlier earns money
taking up a post graduate diploma or masters in the "retake" time frame would be a better choice.
and in the end of the day, the results of your PhD will cover the results of your masters.
the results of your masters will cover the results of your degree
the same way the results of you spm covers the results of your upsr.

its all superficial and only important if ur a perfectionist who wants to have a clean record

This post has been edited by EmperorMeng: Jun 12 2009, 10:38 PM
EmperorMeng
post Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM

Jom Whaling
2,021 posts

QUOTE(OMG! @ Jun 12 2009, 08:49 PM)

my uni only allows 1 retake.
failing twice in any subject will cause one to be barred from engineering entirely.
TSazarimy
post Jun 12 2009, 11:15 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(OMG! @ Jun 12 2009, 01:38 PM)
no, i dun mean like that..i am just saying that compare to IPTa, IPTS should never let their students resit as many failed papers as they can, this will degrade the quality of that insititutions.

My comments are that make sure they r well prepared before taking the tests. there shud never be a lame excuse or reason for failing the papers if u din work hard.

i wish to hear more from you regarding the systems of IPTA and IPTS..how diff the students there and how about the lecturers there?
do u think students at IPTA would be more disciplined than that of IPTS?

Hi, mr azarimy , nice to hear from you then=)
i'm not sure if IPTS would allow unlimited retakes. i know IPTA could only retake twice maximum (meaning taking the same subject 3 times in total), but i'm not sure about IPTS.

yes, people should work hard to score. but being in a university is not just about studying. i failed a 5 credit subject in 1999 bcoz i wanted to concentrate on organizing the 14th architectural workshop, a national event for architectural students where i was the programme director. that position in my resume outweighs most of other things that i've ever achieved. so retaking a 5 credit subject is a worthy sacrifice.

there are other causes which caused us to fail. death in the family, health problems, money issues, life... u just never know. not everybody have a perfect life through university. since everybody is different, it's only fair to have a fail-safe system to accommodate such situations.

on the 2nd part, i dont think IPTA students are more disciplined than IPTS. i believe it's bcoz of the system, we see more "disciplined" students in IPTA. IPTS does not normally enforce such moral order on the students. whether it's good or not is open to interpretations.

QUOTE(EmperorMeng @ Jun 12 2009, 02:33 PM)
id rather get a 2nd class lower than retaking to get a 2nd class upper.
some1 with a 2nd class lower + 1 sem of working experience  > some1 with a 2nd class upper with 0 working experience.
retake costs money
start working earlier earns money
taking up a post graduate diploma or masters in the "retake" time frame would be a better choice.
and in the end of the day, the results of your PhD will cover the results of your masters.
the results of your masters will cover the results of your degree
the same way the results of you spm covers the results of your upsr.

its all superficial and only important if ur a perfectionist who wants to have a clean record
well, if u get a 2nd class lower, u wont be able to do ur masters. masters require a 3.00cgpa minimum or 2nd class upper. if u plan to get ur masters to "cover" ur results, then yes, u would need to mark up ur CGPA. the same as ur degree would cover ur SPM/STPM. that's IF ur SPM/STPM is good enough to get u into a degree course, right? if it didnt, what would u give to retake ur SPM/STPM?

it's not for perfectionists. in fact, we dont allow students to simply retake subjects that they didnt fail. they MUST fail the subjects first, and to my experience, hardly anyone would intentionally fail a subject so that they could retake them again without apparent reason.
triad
post Jun 16 2009, 03:58 PM

Casual
356 posts

Nope not all uni and not all subject if u fail they will paste the result.for certain uni,once ur failed its already registered at ur CGPA.

which means.if u take same subject twice ur credit pint twiece alse
Masta-Killa
post Jun 16 2009, 04:13 PM

46 posts

Oh.my CGPA
really scarry ough.
TSazarimy
post Jun 16 2009, 06:35 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(triad @ Jun 16 2009, 07:58 AM)
Nope not all uni and not all subject if u fail they will paste the result.for certain uni,once ur failed its already registered at ur CGPA.

which means.if u take same subject twice ur credit pint twiece alse
which is odd, bcoz if passing a degree requires 70 credits, then u could repeat a 2 credit subjects 35 times and u will qualify for ur degree. even if they limit the retakes to 2 or 3 times, means u could still save urself the hassle of studying all the subjects by repeating several subjects twice.

it would also mean that there is no need to study hard anymore if u've failed 1 subject, bcoz u're gonna be haunted with that failure in the CGPA and will carry on until u graduate. learning is about taking time mastering a particular subject. not kill urself and be haunted with it forever.
max_cjs0101
post Jun 16 2009, 07:58 PM

Tarp hater and detector
Group Icon
Staff
1,361 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 12 2009, 11:15 PM)

well, if u get a 2nd class lower, u wont be able to do ur masters. masters require a 3.00cgpa minimum or 2nd class upper. if u plan to get ur masters to "cover" ur results, then yes, u would need to mark up ur CGPA. the same as ur degree would cover ur SPM/STPM. that's IF ur SPM/STPM is good enough to get u into a degree course, right? if it didnt, what would u give to retake ur SPM/STPM?

it's not for perfectionists. in fact, we dont allow students to simply retake subjects that they didnt fail. they MUST fail the subjects first, and to my experience, hardly anyone would intentionally fail a subject so that they could retake them again without apparent reason.
Does this apply to local Uni or most Uni's?
TSazarimy
post Jun 16 2009, 08:30 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Jun 16 2009, 11:58 AM)
Does this apply to local Uni or most Uni's?
most unis in the world. although US have a slightly different system.

but do note that sometimes universities cut a little slack for their own graduates wink.gif.
cameltoe
post Jun 16 2009, 09:40 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

As far as I know Australian universities do allow retakes but your failures will greatly affect your overall CGPA.

Each failed subject will add on to your existing number of subjects with a very low score of 1.0.

Meaning if you failed 1 subject and your course has 20 modules, your CGPA will be calculated as 21 subjects with a very low 1.0 point added as a penalty and divided by 21 subjects.
triad
post Jun 17 2009, 09:35 AM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 16 2009, 06:35 PM)
which is odd, bcoz if passing a degree requires 70 credits, then u could repeat a 2 credit subjects 35 times and u will qualify for ur degree. even if they limit the retakes to 2 or 3 times, means u could still save urself the hassle of studying all the subjects by repeating several subjects twice.

it would also mean that there is no need to study hard anymore if u've failed 1 subject, bcoz u're gonna be haunted with that failure in the CGPA and will carry on until u graduate. learning is about taking time mastering a particular subject. not kill urself and be haunted with it forever.
there are list of compulsary+elective and minimum cgpa of 2.0.if u repeat 35 times and last paper oni u pass (A) which will make ur cgpa 8/70=0.11.And could repeat many times but more u repeat more it reduce ur cgpa.

Yes.it will carry on till graduate.that what some uni implement in malaysia.i try ask the registrar but what they said is u have to make sure u not fail and score good grades first time u take.but dun worry,in my uni even 2.75 can secured job at schlumberger.
sheque7
post Jun 18 2009, 08:01 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(triad @ Jun 17 2009, 09:35 AM)
Yes.it will carry on till graduate.that what some uni implement in malaysia.i try ask the registrar but what they said is u have to make sure u not fail and score good grades first time u take.but dun worry,in my uni even 2.75 can secured job at schlumberger.
waaa bro... which uni are u from? i think i went to the wrong uni... just grad dunno how to enter OnG industry. pointer <3.

csjohson
post Sep 12 2009, 11:38 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

if i fail one subject that(4 credit) , i get C after repeating will it increase the cgpa ?

This post has been edited by csjohson: Sep 13 2009, 12:56 AM
TSazarimy
post Sep 13 2009, 01:00 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(csjohson @ Sep 12 2009, 03:38 PM)
if i fail one subject that(4 credit) , i get C after repeating will it increase the cgpa ?
assuming u comply to the scenario stated in the 1st post, yes.
csjohson
post Sep 13 2009, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

so can i know how much will increase if i get C?0.2 ?or must count depend on previous cgpa?
TSazarimy
post Sep 13 2009, 06:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(csjohson @ Sep 13 2009, 06:41 AM)
so can i know how much will increase if i get C?0.2 ?or must count depend on previous cgpa?
u'd have to take into account:

+ the total credits u've taken throughout ur entire studies including the failed subject.
+ the latest CGPA.
+ the amount of credit that particular subject carries.
+ the grade value distributions for ur university (A= 4.00, B=3.00 etc).

give me those numbers, and i'll try and calculate for u.
wangos
post Sep 13 2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts

What if I only got my marks on every subjects and the credit hours? I took 11 subjects and 120 hours credit. the CGPA come out to be 82- ridiculous. can somebody help me with this please?cheers
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 07:20 PM

7 posts

can u help me to calculate my cgpa? I am studying in tarc ....SBS 2nd year accounting student...
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 07:22 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

give the information needed and we'll calculate wink.gif.
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 07:26 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 17 2009, 07:22 PM)
give the information needed and we'll calculate wink.gif.
information like ?

Added on September 17, 2009, 7:44 pmwhy nobody help me..

This post has been edited by cgpahelp: Sep 17 2009, 07:44 PM
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 07:51 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

why dont u read the first post? it's all there.

to put it shortly, what u will need are:

i. the credit rating of all the subjects u HAVE TAKEN.
ii. the grades or preferably the points for those subjects.
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 07:53 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 17 2009, 07:51 PM)
why dont u read the first post? it's all there.

to put it shortly, what u will need are:

i. the credit rating of all the subjects u HAVE TAKEN.
ii. the grades or preferably the points for those subjects.
Oh,sorry.i've read the first post but i dunno how to calculate by myself

my first year cgpa was 3.71
this sem, I fail 2 subject. so if i resit what is probably my cgpa?
will it be very low?
and thank you very much , ur help will be much appreciated

This post has been edited by cgpahelp: Sep 17 2009, 07:55 PM
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 08:07 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

u want us to help, then give the information we need.

what year and semester are u in now? 2nd year 1st sem?

and for the last 2 semesters u score 3.71, correct?

i will need the credit that u've earned for that 3.71.

i will need the credits of ALL the subjects u're taking this semester, and do highlight which subjects u're failing.
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 08:31 PM

7 posts

wait a moment ya...

Added on September 17, 2009, 8:36 pmsorry i don't know this thread is so formal, coz i usually spam at kopitiam..
credit hours earned in year 1 is 19+19+6
this semester i got 22 credit hours,i fail one 3 cr and one 4 cr hrs subject

This post has been edited by cgpahelp: Sep 17 2009, 08:36 PM
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 08:49 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

ok. here's what i got for u:

19+19+6 = 3.71, meaning ur total points accumulated is (44x3.71)=163.24.

now i need the grades for the subjects u've taken this semester.

lets assume u got all B (3.00) except for the 2 failed subjects, this semester ur accumulated points are 15x3.00=45.00.

so add 45.00 to 163.24=208.24.

divide 208.24 with all the subjects u've taken including the failed ones (19+19+6+22)=3.15

so if u scored all Bs in ur subjects and failed 2 others this semester, ur CGPA will drop from 3.71 to 3.15.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Sep 17 2009, 08:50 PM
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 09:03 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 17 2009, 08:49 PM)
ok. here's what i got for u:

19+19+6 = 3.71, meaning ur total points accumulated is (44x3.71)=163.24.

now i need the grades for the subjects u've taken this semester.

lets assume u got all B (3.00) except for the 2 failed subjects, this semester ur accumulated points are 15x3.00=45.00.

so add 45.00 to 163.24=208.24.

divide 208.24 with all the subjects u've taken including the failed ones (19+19+6+22)=3.15

so if u scored all Bs in ur subjects and failed 2 others this semester, ur CGPA will drop from 3.71 to 3.15.
oh,thank you
how about if i resit and get 2 A for the subjects?
nex semester i got 23 credit hours

This post has been edited by cgpahelp: Sep 17 2009, 09:10 PM
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 09:16 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

i need to know the grades for all subjects u take this semester and its credit worth. something like:

subject A, 4 credits = B (3.00)
subject B, 2 credits = A (4.00)
subject C, 3 credits = fail (0.00)

and so on...
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 09:21 PM

7 posts

assume that this semester my cgpa is 3.15, because i fail two subject, i resit them on nex semester
and nex semester my results are:
subject A= 4credits
subject B=4 credits
and i get 4 flat for my six subject (23 credit hours)
and i also get 4 flat for my resit subjects
so what is my cgpa?
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 10:06 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

u know, it's very hard to calculate based on too many assumptions. why dont u just give me the exact numbers so that we could assume LESS about anything. dont worry, i dont judge. the purpose of this thread is to help people calculate and why they shouldnt worry too much about failing. if i start judging people it'll defeat the purpose of this thread, isnt it? LOL.

anyways, lets assume next semester u take 23 subjects including resitting the 7 credits u failed this semester. and assume u score 4.00 on ALL those subjects.

first, calculate the total credits taken: 66+16 (because we dont recount the failed subjects) = 82 credits.

second, 4.00 x 23 credits = 92 points for this semester.

third, 92 + 208.24 (total points for 3 semesters) = 300.24.

finally, 300.24 divide by 82 credits = 3.66
SUScgpahelp
post Sep 17 2009, 10:07 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 17 2009, 10:06 PM)
u know, it's very hard to calculate based on too many assumptions. why dont u just give me the exact numbers so that we could assume LESS about anything. dont worry, i dont judge. the purpose of this thread is to help people calculate and why they shouldnt worry too much about failing. if i start judging people it'll defeat the purpose of this thread, isnt it? LOL.

anyways, lets assume next semester u take 23 subjects including resitting the 7 credits u failed this semester. and assume u score 4.00 on ALL those subjects.

first, calculate the total credits taken: 66+16 (because we dont recount the failed subjects) = 82 credits.

second, 4.00 x 23 credits = 92 points for this semester.

third, 92 + 208.24 (total points for 3 semesters) = 300.24.

finally, 300.24 divide by 82 credits = 3.66
oh,they really minus my failed subject credit hours on last semester to calculate my current semester cgpa?are u sure?
u got resit before? are u from tarc? that mean if i resit= postpone my exam to next semester and i never fail my subject. ??
where got such thing!

This post has been edited by cgpahelp: Sep 17 2009, 10:15 PM
TSazarimy
post Sep 17 2009, 10:18 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(cgpahelp @ Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM)
oh,they really minus my failed subject credit hours on last semester to calculate my current semester cgpa?are u sure?
u got resit before? are u from tarc? that mean if i resit= postpone my exam to next semester and i never fail my subject. ??
where got such thing!
read the thread from the beginning, son.
FreakyFreak22
post Oct 21 2009, 01:59 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

Hi everyone, need some adivces here.

In between:
- graduate with a lower CGPA without any repeat unit.
- gradutae with a higher CGPA by repeating one or two units.

Which one is a wiser move?

Thanks in advance. notworthy.gif
TSazarimy
post Oct 21 2009, 05:32 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

how much difference does it make? if it's a mere 0.1-0.2 points, it doesnt really makes a difference.

but in my case during my degree, repeating a single subject makes a difference between 2nd class upper and 2nd class lower. so it does make a difference, even for a mere 0.16 points wink.gif.
chern4ever
post Oct 21 2009, 07:26 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

if my cumulative average is 62, my total credit hour is 13, 62/13 = 4.769?
TSazarimy
post Oct 21 2009, 08:47 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(chern4ever @ Oct 21 2009, 11:26 AM)
if my cumulative average is 62, my total credit hour is 13, 62/13 = 4.769?
i think u got the numbers wrong. if ur total credit hour is 13, the maximum total grade points u can have is 52.
chern4ever
post Oct 21 2009, 10:34 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

sorry i did not explain clearly. My college doesnt calculate by cgpa. They go by total marks average.
TSazarimy
post Oct 22 2009, 01:23 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

so what exactly are u looking for in this thread? tongue.gif

does ur college assign points to grades? coz if they dont, there's no way we could calculate ur CGPA.
FreakyFreak22
post Oct 23 2009, 06:28 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 21 2009, 05:32 PM)
how much difference does it make? if it's a mere 0.1-0.2 points, it doesnt really makes a difference.

but in my case during my degree, repeating a single subject makes a difference between 2nd class upper and 2nd class lower. so it does make a difference, even for a mere 0.16 points wink.gif.
Let's say if repeated a subject which was D and improved to A, CGPA increased from 3.3xx to 3.4xx (No change in class, still 2nd upper.), worth it? Or one should just keep the transcript "repeat"-free?
TSazarimy
post Oct 23 2009, 06:31 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(FreakyFreak22 @ Oct 23 2009, 10:28 AM)
Let's say if repeated a subject which was D and improved to A, CGPA increased from 3.3xx to 3.4xx (No change in class, still 2nd upper.), worth it? Or one should just keep the transcript "repeat"-free?
can u still pass/graduate with a fail?

most courses list all primary subjects as requirement, meaning it's a prerequisite for graduation. u must pass those in order to graduate. if it's just an elective subject, then fine, let it fail.
TSOM
post Oct 29 2009, 11:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

This is a great system. Unfortunately for me, my university doesn't have such practices.

1) If one were to resit his paper, his mark would be capped at 40%;

2) if one were not able to resit his paper (i.e. below 20% for compulsory module), he would be required to withdraw from the university;

3) if one had applied and granted mitigating circumstances, he would be required to repeat his year;

4) there's only one exam in one academic year;

5) no resit for final year students.

Back to the track, so a person who scored As in all his paper will get CGPA of 4.0? And CGPA can't tell the difference between someone with 80% average and someone with 70% average?
The system also doesn't help students under the borderline marks, since with 69% they will get 3.0 instead of 4.0??

This post has been edited by TSOM: Oct 30 2009, 12:03 AM
z21j
post Oct 30 2009, 11:58 AM

Regular
1,307 posts

CGPA up to 2nd year 3.80 (79 ct hrs obtained)
Year 3
Sem 1 6 x 3 ct hrs B,A,A,A,A-,C-(FAIL)-absence for d exam, this grade obtained from continuous assessment.
Sem 2 7 X 3 ct hrs A,A,A,A-,A-,A-,A-(REPEAT)

CGPA up to Year3?

A=4.00, A=3.70, B+=3.30, 3.00, 2.70,..., C-=1.70
Shud the "fail subject be included in CGPA"

What is the lower limit for 1st class honours? 2nd upper?

Added on October 30, 2009, 12:19 pmp/s some ppl told be that year 3 sem 1 was not counting the fail 1... meaning they will just count for 15 ct hours... bt i dun think it is making sense

but, what if i fail 2 times and pass on the 3rd time? lets' the ct hours for fail subject is counted.
meaning for this fail subject ALONE, i can obtain 9 ct hours, seem like not making sense as well.

This post has been edited by z21j: Oct 30 2009, 12:23 PM
chongelicia
post Nov 3 2009, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

i do not und.. so confusing.
ok, let say this sem i got 1.5 for gpa, 2.3 for cgpa
later next sem i take 1 subject( 3 credit hours), but fail.
means my next sem gpa is 0 right. how about my cgpa?

Added on November 3, 2009, 11:09 amso unfair right, if take less subject. like say I take 2 subjects only, but 1 b and 1 fail. then my gpa sure very low. and hence got more influence on cgpa right?

the lower the gpa is, the greater impact to cgpa? or related to the credit hours too? pls advise

This post has been edited by chongelicia: Nov 3 2009, 11:09 AM
z21j
post Nov 3 2009, 04:29 PM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(chongelicia @ Nov 3 2009, 11:06 AM)
i do not und.. so confusing.
ok, let say this sem i got 1.5 for gpa, 2.3 for cgpa
later next sem i take 1 subject( 3 credit hours), but fail.
means my next sem gpa is 0 right. how about my cgpa?

Added on November 3, 2009, 11:09 amso unfair right, if take less subject. like say I take 2 subjects only, but 1 b and 1 fail. then my gpa sure very low. and hence got more influence on cgpa right?

the lower the gpa is, the greater impact to cgpa? or related to the credit hours too? pls advise
from what i knew, cgpa will not much affected by gpa, but it depends on the credit that u have taken...

if u take 2 subjects (normally 6 credit hours)... u may get very low/high gpa but wun affect much to ur cgpa....

in calculating cgpa, most important is ur credit hours... this is my concept when calculating cgpa, and this were told by my senior as well... just complicating when there is fail subject in ur exams...
chongelicia
post Nov 4 2009, 11:05 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

so if my cgpa is 2.3, then this sem i got 3 credit hours and fail, then what is my latest cgpa?
z21j
post Nov 4 2009, 11:46 AM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(chongelicia @ Nov 4 2009, 11:05 AM)
so if my cgpa is 2.3, then this sem i got 3 credit hours and fail, then what is my latest cgpa?
hv to c how many credit hours that u have accumulated....
foe eg, year1 sem1, u take 18 ct hours... year2 sem2.... can u specify the credit hours?
chongelicia
post Nov 4 2009, 01:51 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

total i tot 119 hours, but 117 hours is pass hours. got 3 credit hours fail but havent repeat the subject.
z21j
post Nov 4 2009, 02:50 PM

Regular
1,307 posts

ok... u tok 119 ct hrs,
so.. 116 X 2.3 (current cgpa) + 3 X 0 = 266.8 pointers
266.8/119ct = 2.24

u can c or not? even though u fail gpa=0... but ur cgpa wun be affected much...
chongelicia
post Nov 4 2009, 04:42 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

ya true, but one thing i do not und. I fail 1 subject but that subject havent retake, why it stated I took total of 119 hours ady?
in fact I pass 116 only.. means I fail 3 credit hours, they also add in

oh ya, i saying if i fail this sem right, actually ady added into cgpa, i resit the paper again, they will only add one once for one subject

my previous 2 sem is 2.35, then this sem is 2.3
so i assume I drop 0.05 for failling one subject
because that time i got 1 B and 1 fail for 6 credit hours

so complicated oh. thx ya
are u mmu student too?

z21j
post Nov 5 2009, 01:33 AM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(chongelicia @ Nov 4 2009, 04:42 PM)
ya true, but one thing i do not und. I fail 1 subject but that subject havent retake, why it stated I took total of 119 hours ady?
in fact I pass 116 only.. means I fail 3 credit hours, they also add in

oh ya, i saying if i fail this sem right, actually ady added into cgpa, i resit the paper again, they will only add one once for one subject

my previous 2 sem is 2.35, then this sem is 2.3
so i assume I drop 0.05 for failling one subject
because that time i got 1 B and 1 fail for 6 credit hours

so complicated oh. thx ya
are u mmu student too?
not complicated if u never fail; the thing is when u fail makes the credit hours ... more when retake...

i was a local uni student.
jepertine90
post Nov 5 2009, 11:38 AM

Dean Chan
869 posts

well, my college system also inculde your failed subject gpa... so when you resit your failed paper, is just like an extra subject added~ Eg :

last sem 5 pass, 1 fail
this sem 6 core paper + resit paper = 7 paper~

CGPA?? count last sem + this sem which is 6 + 7 paper together~
z21j
post Nov 5 2009, 03:59 PM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(jepertine90 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:38 AM)
well, my college system also inculde your failed subject gpa... so when you resit your failed paper, is just like an extra subject added~ Eg :

last sem 5 pass, 1 fail

that's make ppl confuse... Refer to my earlier post, I duno y in my uni, certain situation whereby they include the fail subject, but certain situation they are not.
Based on ur explanation, do u mean, if u fail 3 times; then u will accumulate 3+9 credit hours = 12 credits hours JUST FOR 1 SUBJECT? Sounds nonsense in the sense 12 ct hours for a subject......

My situation, I got fail due to absent to the exams. But I use d usual calculation method; but cannot get it... either treat it fail or not counted aso can get the cgpa that i obtained. That's problem... I
AskarPerang
post Nov 7 2009, 08:49 PM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,136 posts

QUOTE(jepertine90 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:38 AM)

last sem 5 pass, 1 fail

I thought when you resit a paper, the grade will automatically replace the grade you obtain before, hence you will improve your overall CGPA.
craxzsmart
post Nov 24 2009, 09:25 AM

8 posts

anyone know how much pointer is it to be qualified for 1st class, 2nd class and so on (up to date) in UMS? smile.gif
polyamide
post Nov 26 2009, 03:15 AM

43 posts

i'm also from UIA & actually there r no 'recalculate' term for our CGPA cry.gif

our GPA & CGPA calculations r as follow:

let say we start from short sem 3 (2008/2009 session) and sem 1 & 2 (2009/2010 session)

semester 3 (2008/2009)
-----------------------------------
subject a (2 c.h) B-
subject b (1 c.h) B+

Total Grade Point (TGP) = [(2x2.67)+(1x3.33)] = 8.67
Cumulative Grade Point (CGP) = 8.67
Total Credit Hours (TCH) = 3
Cumulative Credit Hours (CCH) = 3

GPA = TGP / TCH = 2.890
CGPA = CGP / CCH = 2.890

semester 1 (2009/2010)
subject c (0.5 c.h) B-
subject d (1 c.h) A-
subject e (2 c.h) B+
subject f (2 c.h) E (FAIL & need to be repeat)
subject g (1 c.h) B+
subject h (2 c.h) C
subject i (3 c.h) F (FAIL & need to be repeat)
subject j (3 c.h) B

TGP = [(0.5x2.67)+(1x3.67)+(2x3.33)+(2x1.00)+(1x3.33)+(2x2.00)+(3x0.00)+(3x3.00)] = 29.995
TCH = 14.5
CGP = 8.67+29.995 = 38.665
CCH = 3+14.5 = 17.5

GPA = TGP / TCH = 2.069
CGPA = CGP / CCH = 38.665 / 17.5 = 2.2094

Semester 2 (2009/2010)
Subject f (2 c.h) C+ (REPEATED)
Subject i (3 c.h) E (REPEATED)
Subject k (1 c.h) C+
Subject l (2 c.h) B
Subject m (2 c.h) D- (FAIL & need to repeat)
Subject n (1 c.h) B
Subject p (3 c.h) F (FAIL & need to repeat)
Subject o (2 c.h) B+

TGP = [(2x2.33)+(3x1.00)+(1x2.33)+(2x3.00)+(2x1.33)+(1x3.00)+(3x0.00)+(2x3.33)] = 28.31
TCH = 16
CGP = 8.67+29.995+28.31 = 66.975
CCH = 3 + 14.5 + 16 = 33.5

GPA = TGP / TCH = 28.31 / 16 = 1.769!!!
CGPA = CGP / CCH = 66.975 / 33.5 = 1.9992!!!

As u can see they did not recalculate it, failed subject are still recorded in transcript even u get an A after repeating it.
This is the actual result of one of my friend. He got ‘surat cinta’ from uia because he got CGPA <2.0 for the 1st time, n if he cannot get CGPA above 2.0 next sem, he will be dismiss..

UIA Dismissal Scheme
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Get CGPA 1.67 and below – dismissal w/out warning
Get CGPA below 2.00 but above 1.67 – u will get ‘surat cinta’, warning you about dismissal from uia if u get CGPA below 2.00 again next semester
Get an ‘F’ for the third time for the same subject (repeating) – dismissal w/out warning eventhough your CGPA is 3.00

This post has been edited by polyamide: Nov 26 2009, 03:17 AM
TSazarimy
post Nov 26 2009, 05:17 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

fair enough. UIAM and UiTM have normally been the two deviant universities in malaysia biggrin.gif. i will try and talk to UIAM's admin to ask them to clarify or justify taking this method of calculating CGPA.
xKAIZERUx
post Nov 26 2009, 06:46 AM

RAWR!!!!!
822 posts

wow. best gile uni camnie....

my uni if failed, they wont replace your grade for that subject.

even if you get an A, that is 4.00. the actual result for your subject is 2.00 coz it is (0+4)/2 that is if you get an A.
polyamide
post Nov 26 2009, 12:13 PM

43 posts

that why in UIA..for one batch (engineering), there would be only few student that get cgpa of 3.5 and above, n this also the reason why engineering course at uia get honors eventhough only get cgpa 2.0. for other courses its must be 2,5 n above to get honors degree...UTM is using the same method of cgpa calculation right?
OMG!
post Dec 2 2009, 07:12 PM

Raymond
1,397 posts

Well, what about if we score A- and B+?? what CGPA does it stand for these two grades?

thanks for guiding!=)
thesun
post Dec 2 2009, 09:29 PM

Regular
1,810 posts

QUOTE(xKAIZERUx @ Nov 26 2009, 06:46 AM)

even if you get an A, that is 4.00. the actual result for your subject is 2.00 coz it is (0+4)/2 that is if you get an A.
i think that applies if only a 3rd year student, repeat his failed subject during his 1st year.. because tak aci la, 3rd year student sudah pro already.. Not necessarily 3rd year student la, it's just an example only. If 2nd year student repeat his D or failed subject during 1st year, no problem..
z21j
post Dec 4 2009, 09:49 AM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(OMG! @ Dec 2 2009, 07:12 PM)
Well, what about if we score A- and B+?? what CGPA does it stand for these two grades?

thanks for guiding!=)
A- should be around 3.67 to 3.70 (stpm time was 3.67, n my uni counted 3.70)
B+ should be around 3.3 to 3.33 (stpm was 3.33, my uni counted 3.3)
buyer90
post Jan 6 2010, 01:23 AM

7 posts

in UiTM the failing mark is C-, and C- is not 0.00. i can't recall the pointer though. so does this work the same way then, if let's say i fail with a C- and have to repeat?
z21j
post Jan 7 2010, 05:53 PM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(buyer90 @ Jan 6 2010, 01:23 AM)
in UiTM the failing mark is C-, and C- is not 0.00. i can't recall the pointer though. so does this work the same way then, if let's say i fail with a C- and have to repeat?
C- would give u the pointer of 1.7... But... it wont be counted in your credit hours if u haven pass it. Meaning, this 1.7 pointer will bring forward... and let's say your second attempt u got B+ (3.3), then the pointer counted would be (1.7+3.3)/2 = 2.5

Last time my uni, for those scored C- , then they are given a chance so called ujian penebusan; if in this ujian u get a "pass" mark, then ur grade would be from C- to C. However, even if scored 100% in ujian penebusan still consider C only. If D+, D and F... then repeat...
Dannyl
post Jan 17 2010, 05:40 PM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

My uni didn't provide me with the CGPA. Our grades are High Distinction, Distinction, Credit, Pass, Fail. On the results, it's written as DI, D, C, P, F. Should I calculate my own CGPA? HR might take a look at the results then toss my resume into the bin when they see so many Ds...
arcticamused
post Apr 7 2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Jan 17 2010, 05:40 PM)
My uni didn't provide me with the CGPA.  Our grades are High Distinction, Distinction, Credit, Pass, Fail.  On the results, it's written as DI, D, C, P, F.  Should I calculate my own CGPA?  HR might take a look at the results then toss my resume into the bin when they see so many Ds...
Which uni are you in? Im in UniSA they also use HD,D,C,P1,P2,F1,F2.
and im afraid the HR people rate me as a C graduate as in ABCDE format though C in my uni is 65%-75% range or a (B).
But i guess we just write a note or attach the explanation of each grade and percentile in the CV.

An addition also for those in Australian programs, though you have repeated a course and get Credit (5.0 points) if you failed earlier with Fail 2 (1.0 points)
they will calculate as (5.0+1.0)/2= 3.0(Pass 2) out of 7(High Distinction) for one course. I have failed 4 and it lowers at least 0.2 CGPA, not much
but thinking about it, damage is done, i cant reverse it even if the future courses i get good distinction or credit.
Searingmage
post Jun 7 2010, 11:25 AM

Regular
1,809 posts

lol.. that's the bad thing bout grading by distinction in Malaysia.. Malaysians usually judge via A B C D.. well, I guess you will need to write a short note to explain that your uni is using diff system?
GreenSamurai
post Jun 7 2010, 04:32 PM

The Green One
2,144 posts

QUOTE(xKAIZERUx @ Nov 26 2009, 06:46 AM)

My college is the same..they won't replace anything and just add to the existing cgpa
misscreamypie
post Jun 7 2010, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(ark890 @ Jul 23 2008, 11:40 AM)
Azarimy,

I would like to correct you about the "DARE TO FAIL" advice to others.

No wonder Malaysian and UK degrees are so easy to get high CGPA scores.They could always rework/mend their failed grades given the extra time they get.

This is not the case in Australian Universities.Failing more subjects would mean dragging you down further actually.

Why?

In your case, failing a subject means resitting/reunit the whole subject giving it a fresh start.

With Australian degree programs let's assume you have 10 subjects in your degree program.

(This GPA calculation method is used by Australia and European countries such as in Germany)

Failing 2 subjects would mean dividing the total score by 12 not 10.

A+ = 7; A=6, B=5, C=4...so on A failed grade will result with a score of 1

Student A scored B in all his 10 subjects =  10 x 5 = 50/10subjects = Final score: 5.0/7.0(total band of 7), CGPA(max score is 4.0)

Student B failed 2 subjects among the 10 he sat with the rest of the subjects getting B
To add say he managed to get A for the 2 subjects which he reunit.(p=points)
= (5p x 8) + (2 x 1p) + (2 x 6p) = 54p / 12 (note the 2 failed subjects are added in) = 4.5/7.0???

See the contrast in quality and strictness for Australian/European(German/French/Swiss/Dutch) degree programs?
Despite, getting 2 distinctions for his subjects, student B will have his failed subjects listed down in his academic transcript as well as 'F' and he'll be questioned by employers for it.
Further advise:

In regards to some forumers asking about the difference between 'W' and 'F'.Here's a proper answer:

Australian Universities allow you a cooling off period of 1 month when a subject commences.Should you feel that you can't cope with your studies with too much workload, you can always widthraw/drop the subject and postpone it the in the future semesters(further time delay).So getting an 'W' is just merely prolonging your study period but it's a safe take to avoid being penalized with a miserable 1.0 score point.

When you get a 'F' there's no turning back."Macam nasi sudah bertukar bubur".You'll have the 'F' engraved in your degree permanently forever and extra 1.0 point to pull your GPA score down further.Your only hope is to complete the degree by passing all your required subjects.A point of no return.
QUOTE(ark890 @ Jul 23 2008, 03:22 PM)
It includes all subjects involved in the degree program starting from the first year.

The Honours award in Australian University is solely by invitation only.You've got to be truly outstanding to be eligible for honours(it's like a national prestigious award) and it'll require you to take an extra year of studies(=more money and time).The Dean will single handedly pick the best students every year in his faculty to offer them this privilege.

There's no first class, second class or third in Australian degrees unlike the UK style where you can amend your CGPA score by resitting the failed subjects over and over if you fail and overwriting the old grades.

The final GPA score which you get will determine your degree's overall score.

An Australian degree with distinction would require you to have a GPA of >6.0.This alone is near impossible unless you have a string of As or A+(HD) in your academic transcript.The "Amohs" have some sense of pride in them, it is very hard to score in some of their papers especially the final year ones(if you're asian more likely they'll make it harder for you today).

You can consider a degree with a GPA of 6.0+ as first class but the Australians choose to humble you by calling it a degree with distinction, credit, pass and so on instead.

The more you fail, the more it's going to affect your overall score because each Fail(F) grade will contribute as an extra subject in your academic transcript.Your future employer may notice the number of times you fail a particular subject when he looks at your academic transcript.

I wouldn't worry about this if I were you.Most who study in Australian degrees are more worried about passing all their papers and getting the degree without delays.The papers are not easy and you would only have 1 attempt at them to really score.I feel this is a very good way to distinguish between real talents and normal people.

Their method of grade point calculation takes in consideration the number of times you fail.
There's no scaling or percentage quotas for first class in Australia.All merits are given strictly based on point cut-off ranges.

You've also asked about the honours year subjects being counted separately.That's true.If your grades fall below expectation, your honours degree will be downgraded to a postgraduate diploma + your normal degree.No honours degree will be rewarded.
QUOTE(ark890 @ Jul 23 2008, 04:33 PM)
Actually as an Australian degree holder, I personally don't like the strict method of awarding a degree as well. It's almost impossible to score a distinction with your degree and we don't get the chance to tell employers that we have a first class honours degree.All we can only tell them is that we have a so and so bachelor degree with the following GPA point.It's really a disadvantage to us even after putting up with so much effort.

Most Malaysian employers are so accustomed to CGPA point system and when we tell them we have a GPA score of let's say 5.5, they go "huh"? GPA only goes up to 4 woh.So how do I know you are first class or not, your degree only tells 5.5/7.0 what class is your degree?

I have mentioned this earlier in some other thread about failing in Australian degree courses.Do not be surprised that even if you're a top SPM/STPM student, you might still fail a subject or 2 in your university program.Life at overseas can be hard sometimes because you need to work at the same time to support yourself.Enrolling 4-5 subjects in one semester at Australian universities can sometimes make you feel like committing suicide(no joke, I'm not exaggerating)).It can be really difficult especially final year ones, I went through that before and you'll be so happy if you manage to just pass them all at the end of the semester.
Learned something from these comments. I didn't realise the importance of my CGPA, somemore i'm from an Aus uni. It's true in a way that it's challenging esp to cope with the gap between our msian syllabus and style of teaching with theirs. Need to have good English, Critical thinking, case studies, Good report writing, Good presentation, we're frequently tested on everything for almost all of the subjects. and there's only one chance given, either u fail or pass. if u're lucky, u MIGHT get a resit, pay rm300, and see how it goes - only happen to very lucky ppl, and if fail, repeat from the beginning and paid 1.6k for one subject, really burnt a hole in the pockets. still, i tend to ask myself to be more optimistic as there's more to learn from uni than just for the good grades. Facilities and quality of education are definitely better as we feel greatly challenged to do the best.

still, im worried about my CGPA and having my future employer to know that i hv failed once, only once, that one and only time, i'll makesure it's the last one which left such huge scar on my academic years, but oh, well, hoping that i'll finish the degree well enough. one more year to go biggrin.gif

and this is a very informative thread rclxms.gif
deevon
post Jun 8 2010, 12:46 AM

11 posts

questions ; can anyone list down the grades from D to A and their points? im a bit lost in that area actually.
wo0p
post Mar 15 2011, 11:07 PM

Getting Started
138 posts

A+ 90 - 100 4.000 B 65 3.000
A 80 < 90 4.000 B- 64 2.933
A- 79 3.933 B- 63 2.867
A- 78 3.867 B- 62 2.800
A- 77 3.800 B- 61 2.733
A- 76 3.733 B- 60 2.667
A- 75 3.667 C+ 59 2.600
B+ 74 3.600 C+ 58 2.533
B+ 73 3.533 C+ 57 2.467
B+ 72 3.467 C+ 56 2.400
B+ 71 3.400 C+ 55 2.333
B+ 70 3.333 C 54 2.267
B 69 3.267 C 53 2.200
B 68 3.200 C 52 2.133
B 67 3.133 C 51 2.067
B 66 3.067 C 50 2.000
F 0 - 49 0.000

This post has been edited by wo0p: Mar 15 2011, 11:09 PM
shaqmunak
post Apr 14 2011, 01:22 AM

Getting Started
287 posts

so final calculation is [total grade point of all semester]/(total credit hour)??
Home Made Cookies
post Apr 14 2011, 01:52 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

Thanks for the guide... imma fail a few of my subs nao
TSazarimy
post Apr 14 2011, 09:47 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(shaqmunak @ Apr 13 2011, 05:22 PM)
so final calculation is [total grade point of all semester]/(total credit hour)??
yes.
GaYoon
post Apr 14 2011, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

Thanks for your guide. This thread kinda help.
Wazzzap
post May 20 2011, 01:06 AM

On my way
505 posts

may i know if anyone here knows how to calculate UniSA's (University of South Australia) CGPA? in the transcript only the subject units are given and its 4.5 units per subject and only GPA is provided

This post has been edited by Wazzzap: May 20 2011, 01:06 AM
Angela Lee
post May 20 2011, 10:15 AM

Professional Human
1,059 posts

QUOTE(ujah @ Jun 18 2008, 09:11 PM)
Sounds like a point of no return huh?
That's life...
Hikari0307
post May 20 2011, 10:20 AM

平成の光
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Wazzzap @ May 20 2011, 01:06 AM)
may i know if anyone here knows how to calculate UniSA's (University of South Australia) CGPA? in the transcript only the subject units are given and its 4.5 units per subject and only GPA is provided
http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/property/Handbook/7.htm
Angela Lee
post May 20 2011, 10:23 AM

Professional Human
1,059 posts

QUOTE(Wazzzap @ May 20 2011, 12:06 AM)
Heyhey are you doing in UNISA?
Which campus? Which course?
Wazzzap
post May 21 2011, 04:29 AM

On my way
505 posts

i graduated not long ago but having problem calculating the CGPA. Thank you Hikari0307 but thats only GPA not CGPA
Hikari0307
post May 21 2011, 11:34 AM

平成の光
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Wazzzap @ May 21 2011, 04:29 AM)
i graduated not long ago but having problem calculating the CGPA. Thank you Hikari0307 but thats only GPA not CGPA
won't your final GPA be your CGPA.
spunkberry
post May 21 2011, 08:01 PM

危ない人です
Group Icon
Elite
1,890 posts

QUOTE(xKAIZERUx @ Nov 25 2009, 06:46 PM)

lol I have an F on my transcript that is not counted in my CGPA because I retook the class. The new grade I have replaces it lol
n0nicknam3
post Sep 6 2011, 11:29 AM

23 posts

nope..uia is indeed applied diff system as compared with other ipta in malaysia..if im not mistaken other ipta such as uitm if u failed n repeat the paper then ur second time after u ave passed will only be counted right..?? but in uia if u failed the first time..it will still be counted..n the second time u take..n u passed will only be added a few point to ur cgpa..

for example..
if u failed the first time n the credit hour is 3 n u only get 1.67 then the second time u take u get 3.00 den u will be counted as 3.00 with 3 credit hour right..??
in uia if that had happened u will counted as 6 credit hours (since u take the 3 credit hour twice..

hence

this method actually never exists in uia..
H4XF4XTOR
post Sep 6 2011, 11:59 AM

【ツ】PANDAMON 【ツ】
3,075 posts

i thought cgpa is the overall purata of your whole sem gpa or final sem gpa
ceo684
post Sep 6 2011, 10:46 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(H4XF4XTOR @ Sep 6 2011, 11:59 AM)
i thought cgpa is the overall purata of your whole sem gpa or final sem gpa
it is not [per] semester average bro
it is CUMULATIVE GPA..
LegendLee
post Sep 7 2011, 04:02 AM

><3LG3|\|D
Group Icon
Elite
2,681 posts

This however does not apply to all universities everywhere.
In my university, retaking a subject would mean that the maximum score you can obtain is a grade C. Which means even though you've scored enough to give you an A, the grades will be maxed out at C
DannGun
post Sep 15 2011, 08:02 PM

On my way
688 posts

Could someone help me to calculate d CGPA?

Current CGPA is 2.72 and anticipated next semester's GPA is 3.33.

Completed 250 credit hours, another 50 to go. Each subject has d same credit hours of 12.5. Total subjects is 24..
Thanks a lot!
TSazarimy
post Sep 15 2011, 08:52 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

currently you have: 250 x 2.72 = 680points
if next semester u get 3.33 out of 50credit hours, then: 50 x 3.33 = 166.5points

680 + 166.5 = 846.5points total.

divide this by 300 credit hours that u have completed, u will get 2.81cgpa.

--------------------------------------

assuming u're trying to get 3.00cgpa:

next semester score A for everything = 50 x 4.00 = 200points

680 + 200 = 880points total.
880 / 300 = 2.93cgpa.

so no, u're not gonna get 3.00 even if u score 4 flat next semester.
H4XF4XTOR
post Sep 15 2011, 09:09 PM

【ツ】PANDAMON 【ツ】
3,075 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Sep 6 2011, 10:46 PM)
it is not [per] semester average bro
it is CUMULATIVE GPA..
owh...thank for correcting me...
my bad
wcypierre
post Sep 15 2011, 11:14 PM

Newbie Programmer
Group Icon
Elite
4,608 posts

@azarimy
I had some questions that I had in mind.

Based on what you wrote, you said that if I resit for my subject and I did passed, that subject will not be calculated into the cgpa(if my interpretation is correct)?
TSazarimy
post Sep 15 2011, 11:29 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(wcypierre @ Sep 15 2011, 03:14 PM)
@azarimy
I had some questions that I had in mind.

Based on what you wrote, you said that if I resit for my subject and I did passed, that subject will not be calculated into the cgpa(if my interpretation is correct)?
well, in some universities.

apparently since i wrote this, a lot have changed.
wcypierre
post Sep 15 2011, 11:32 PM

Newbie Programmer
Group Icon
Elite
4,608 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 15 2011, 11:29 PM)

Yeah, that's why I asked. My friend passed his resit paper, but it didn't stated its gpa for that subject, only pass or fail. That's why I am kinda curious about it
lfcreds91
post Sep 21 2011, 01:10 AM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 15 2011, 11:29 PM)

lets say if i fail only one subject, and i completed the attendance and coursework

do i only retake the exam, or the whole subject?
TSazarimy
post Sep 21 2011, 08:34 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(lfcreds91 @ Sep 20 2011, 05:10 PM)
lets say if i fail only one subject, and i completed the attendance and coursework

do i only retake the exam, or the whole subject?
depends on the nature of ur appeal.

usually, after the semester ends, the exam results will be announced, normally within 2 weeks. u should be able to check senarai tampal either online or printed. they will give u about 7 days to appeal for the results. if u do so during this period, depending on the nature of ur appeal, they might grant u to retake the exam.

but if u do not appeal during the grace period, u will have to repeat the entire subject next semester.
giga96
post Feb 27 2012, 09:43 PM

2 posts

how do i calculate if let's say my college has a grading system of A+ , A- , B+ , B- and so on....for example if i got 3 B+ and C- who to u calculate that??will u consider A- as an A or B?? C- as a C or D??..
frgywifoneyes
post Apr 10 2012, 10:39 PM

45 posts

ok.. now im in my final sem. final year.. in my first and second year.. im in my 'darkness' and i only got C(professional course which means minimum requirement to pass is C and cannot be D+ or C-) i also once repeated a subject.. but in my 3rd and 4th year.. i've got a good result than before.. but my cgpa is only 2.55(not incl. final sem final year cuz still ongoing study).. after i calculated.. i only got 2.6+ not even 2.67... im in dilemma whether to extend or not.. my uni below 2.66 we will get third class. im hoping to even have second lower class.. so... im wondering.. SHOULD I EXTEND JUST ONE MORE SEM? is it worth it? plz help!
aqwany
post May 26 2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts

hi, can you please calculate my cgpa? notworthy.gif

1st year 1st sem:

subject p (3 credits) : D = 1.67 [FAILED]
subject q (3 credits) : C+ = 2.33
subject r (3 credits) : C = 2.00
subject s (3 credits) : C = 2.00
subject t (1 credit) : B+ = 3.00

1st year 2nd sem (current target):

subject p (3 credits) : A- = 3.67
subject q (3 credits) : A- = 3.67
subject r (3 credits) : B+ = 3.33
subject s (3 credits) : B = 3.00
subject t (3 credits) : B = 3.00 [REPEATED SUBJECT]
subject u (0.5 credit): A = 4.00

TSazarimy
post May 26 2012, 09:33 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(aqwany @ May 26 2012, 08:34 AM)
hi, can you please calculate my cgpa?  notworthy.gif

1st year 1st sem:

subject p (3 credits) :  D    = 1.67 [FAILED]
subject q (3 credits) :  C+  = 2.33
subject r (3 credits) :  C    = 2.00
subject s (3 credits) :  C    = 2.00
subject t  (1 credit)  :  B+  = 3.00
1st year 2nd sem (current target):

subject p (3 credits) :  A-  = 3.67
subject q (3 credits) :  A-  = 3.67
subject r (3 credits) :  B+  = 3.33
subject s (3 credits) :  B    = 3.00
subject t  (3 credits) :  B  = 3.00 [REPEATED SUBJECT]
subject u (0.5 credit):  A  = 4.00
could u rename the subjects so that it corresponds to each other properly? currently it seems that u're taking subjects P, Q, R, S and T twice.
DavidWKW
post May 28 2012, 04:57 PM

Love.Joy.Peace
940 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ May 26 2012, 09:33 PM)
could u rename the subjects so that it corresponds to each other properly? currently it seems that u're taking subjects P, Q, R, S and T twice.
Haha XD ya, at first I thought to calculate for him... but then I saw the subjects... unless his uni's system got a bit different? maybe his sem 1 is like mid term and sem 2 like final? Or he simply name them the same >< I'm not sure... LolXD

Please clarify, aqwany^^
Cassee
post May 28 2012, 05:52 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Is this the same way they calculate for STPM CGPA for the new modular system?
mistyworld1929
post Jun 4 2012, 03:08 PM

11 posts

could you please help me to calculate my CGPA, I have calculated and I am not sure I have calculated it correctly, please help me thanks :DDDD
A1 (4 credit hours): 3.25
A2 (4 credit hours): 2.5
E1 (3 credit hours): 2.75
L1 (3 credit hours): 2.00 + 2.75(retake)
M1 (3 credit hours): 2.75
Q1 (4 credit hours): 0 + 4.00(retake)
IT1(3 credit hours): 2.75
F2 (4 credit hours): 3.75

TSazarimy
post Jun 4 2012, 03:19 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mistyworld1929 @ Jun 4 2012, 07:08 AM)
could you please help me to calculate my CGPA, I have calculated and I am not sure I have calculated it correctly, please help me thanks :DDDD 
A1 (4 credit hours): 3.25
A2 (4 credit hours): 2.5
E1 (3 credit hours): 2.75
L1 (3 credit hours): 2.00 + 2.75(retake)
M1 (3 credit hours): 2.75
Q1 (4 credit hours): 0 + 4.00(retake)
IT1(3 credit hours): 2.75
F2 (4 credit hours): 3.75
from my calculations, assuming that u are in the system that does not replace credits (accumulative):

your total points are: 93points
your total credits taken (including repeat subjects): 35

hence 93/35 = 2.66cgpa.

what did you get?
Stamp
post Jun 4 2012, 04:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

gosh mr azarimy, you also give advice for CGPA calculations? smile.gif

Added on June 4, 2012, 5:07 pm
QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 18 2008, 11:08 PM)
pointers? u mean the numerical value of it?

the value varies from university to university, hence why i only put an instance in my example earlier. some universities may have 1st class starting from 3.75, others may be about 3.65. on the other hand, 2nd class upper may be from 3.30, others as low as 2.90.

yes, it varies too much that it's hard to make an objective comment.
I graduated from a US university. In US, they have different 'honors' classification. Those who graduate with minimum CGPA of 3.50 are categorized as graduating with honors. Moreover, there are 3 subcategories of honors (cum laude);

summa cum laude - min CGPA 3.90 to 4.00 >>> equivalent to 1st class honors in Msia

magna cum laude - min CGPA 3.70 to 3.89 >>> partially 1st class honors, partially second class upper, depends on the CGPA

cum laude - min CGPA 3.50 to 3.69 >>> second class upper

This post has been edited by Stamp: Jun 4 2012, 05:07 PM
mistyworld1929
post Jun 4 2012, 08:48 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 4 2012, 03:19 PM)
from my calculations, assuming that u are in the system that does not replace credits (accumulative):

your total points are: 93points
your total credits taken (including repeat subjects): 35

hence 93/35 = 2.66cgpa.

what did you get?
yeah i got the exactly same number too. the reason i am not really sure because i saw your first calculation of cgpa on the first page, which is not cumulative method.

and, thank you so much ! smile.gif))
TSazarimy
post Jun 4 2012, 08:57 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mistyworld1929 @ Jun 4 2012, 12:48 PM)
yeah i got the exactly same number too. the reason i am not really sure because i saw your first calculation of cgpa on the first page, which is not cumulative method.

and, thank you so much ! smile.gif))
this topic's a bit outdated already. probably it's time i update everything and write a new one wink.gif.
QuickSilverV3
post Jul 12 2012, 07:42 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

Wanna ask currently doing diploma, if i were to continue to degree, will the cgpa of my diploma carry to degree? I mean after graduated from Dip.

This post has been edited by QuickSilverV3: Jul 12 2012, 07:45 PM
TSazarimy
post Jul 12 2012, 10:03 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(QuickSilverV3 @ Jul 12 2012, 11:42 AM)
Wanna ask currently doing diploma, if i were to continue to degree, will the cgpa of my diploma carry to degree? I mean after graduated from Dip.
if the course states "integration", then yes it will carry forward. u will also note that the degree will start at 4th year instead of 1st year. however, there arent that many integration courses around anymore.

if it's not integration, then no, it will start fresh despite the credit transfers.
phonekiller
post Sep 1 2012, 04:02 PM

22 posts

wanted to ask . im currently studying in ktar . year 1 sem 1 . i got exempted for one subject . is the subject calculated as an A or it is not calculated in the cgpa at all .
TSazarimy
post Sep 1 2012, 04:34 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(phonekiller @ Sep 1 2012, 08:02 AM)
wanted to ask . im currently studying in ktar . year 1 sem 1 . i got exempted for one subject . is the subject calculated as an A or it is not calculated in the cgpa at all .
Its not calculated in the cgpa, but counts towards the overall credit acquisition.

Meaning, lets say ur degree requires u to take 100credits, and u've been exempted 10credits, it means u will have reduced burden, and the eventual cgpa is calculated using 90credits. Ur friend without exemption will have their cgpa cqlculated using 100credits.
phonekiller
post Sep 4 2012, 10:17 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 1 2012, 04:34 PM)
Its not calculated in the cgpa, but counts towards the overall credit acquisition.

Meaning, lets say ur degree requires u to take 100credits, and u've been exempted 10credits, it means u will have reduced burden, and the eventual cgpa is calculated using 90credits. Ur friend without exemption will have their cgpa cqlculated using 100credits.
aright got it . thx for the info
abanga
post Sep 4 2012, 12:13 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

wanna ask on behalf of my cousin, how abt high distinction? it is considered 1st class right? if one graduated from a top 20 Uni in the world with a cgpa of 3.7, do u consider it good?
TSazarimy
post Sep 4 2012, 12:18 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(abanga @ Sep 4 2012, 04:13 AM)
wanna ask on behalf of my cousin, how abt high distinction? it is considered 1st class right? if one graduated from a top 20 Uni in the world with a cgpa of 3.7, do u consider it good?
well, graduating even with a 2nd class degree from a top 20 university in the world is good enough.

excellence is another matter wink.gif.
buffon11
post Sep 4 2012, 01:49 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

take research course, no GPA, no CGPA, to worry about. just progress of your research that counts rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by buffon11: Sep 4 2012, 01:50 PM
Genoss - Apple House
post Sep 30 2012, 02:03 PM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(mutt @ Aug 17 2007, 08:13 PM)
this thread is useful for freshies.. gud work TS  rclxms.gif
That is right
I study for 2 years
and i never know how to count cgpa
missartikha
post Nov 27 2012, 12:02 AM

6 posts

does anyone know how to calculate help university cgpa? cause from what i heard only year 2 and year 3 subs are taken into account. not year 1. and from that Y2 and Y3 subjects only the best of 12 i think will be taken. im not so sure.who knows? i want to calculate mine smile.gif
TSazarimy
post Nov 27 2012, 08:27 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(missartikha @ Nov 26 2012, 04:02 PM)
does anyone know how to  calculate help university cgpa? cause from what i heard only year 2 and year 3 subs are taken into account. not year 1. and from that Y2 and Y3 subjects only the best of 12 i think will be taken. im not so sure.who knows? i want to calculate mine smile.gif
Which university are u from? Its true that some universities do not count 1st years, then only 30% weightage for 2nd year and 70% for 3rd year. This is to emphasis that 1st year u can afford to play around and serious business in 3rd year.

So if u could make sure what ur uni policy is, i can help count ur cgpa.
Asyaamil
post Nov 28 2012, 04:48 PM

10 posts

I need help!Im currently studying at Inti college subang, taking ADP. My problem is...my coursework for Principles of Microeconomics is only 17.9% out of 60% and so I need to know how much should I score to pass the subject for the finals which weightage 40% . I don't really understand how to calculate it. Does all the private college have the same point value?I mean grades and their points?Anyone know's inti point value?
TSazarimy
post Nov 28 2012, 05:30 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Asyaamil @ Nov 28 2012, 08:48 AM)
I need help!Im currently studying at Inti college subang, taking ADP. My problem is...my coursework for Principles of Microeconomics is only 17.9% out of 60% and so I need to know how much should I score to pass the subject for the finals which weightage 40% . I don't really understand how to calculate it.  Does all the private college have the same point value?I mean grades and their points?Anyone know's inti point value?
isnt that just basic percentage calculation?

what is your minimum passing mark there? 50%?

since you only have two things to be assessed, it should be fairly straightforward:

i. Coursework - 17.9% out 60%
ii. Exam - x out of 40%

assuming pass is 50%, for the finals you need to score (50-17.9 = 32.1out of 40)

good luck.
demolationz
post Dec 14 2012, 09:15 PM

LYN Dedicated Member
2,250 posts

I want to ask. If I got D+ . And I want to repair that subject grade. And I got B. How does it count ?

Is the pointer of D+ being replace by B ?
TKWesley
post Dec 15 2012, 01:18 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(Demonic Wrath @ Jun 24 2008, 06:57 PM)
I think he explained until quite simple already.
In this case
Let's say a student get grade B for subject M, grade A for subject N and grade C for subject O.

According to the pointer set by the examination,
CODE
Grade A worth 4.00
Grade B worth 3.00
Grade C worth 2.00

So,
Since subject M is worth 6 credits, it'd be 6 credits x 3.00 = 18 grade point
Since subject N is worth 2 credits, it'd be 2 credits x 4.00 = 8 grade point
Since subject O is worth 3 credits, it'd be 3 credits x 2.00 = 6 grade point

So the total is 18 + 8 + 6 = 32 points and to get the GPA you'll need to divide it by 11 credits (6 credits for subject M + 2 credits for subject N + 3 credits for subject O) so in the end you'll get 2.91 GPA for Semester 1.

CODE
32/11 = 2.91 GPA

Sorry , i couldn't understand why subject M,N,O is worth 6,2,3 credits respectively ? Can further explain for me ? Thanks a lot !
p3nguin
post Dec 15 2012, 01:57 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

QUOTE(demolationz @ Dec 14 2012, 09:15 PM)
I want to ask. If I got D+ . And I want to repair that subject grade. And I got B. How does it count ?

Is the pointer of D+ being replace by B ?
Assuming that that the institution that you're enrolled in allows you to do so, the latest grade would directly replace your previous grade in your CGPA calculations.

QUOTE(TKWesley @ Dec 15 2012, 01:18 AM)
Sorry , i couldn't understand why subject M,N,O is worth 6,2,3 credits respectively ? Can further explain for me ? Thanks a lot !
The number of credits is basically the weightage assigned to that specific course. Some universities assign the course credits (in particular American institutions) based upon the number of hours spent in class per week, but that's not always the case. It can also be based upon the relative course work.

TL;DR: It's a number that has been decided by the institution for usage in the calculation of CGPA.
Biral
post Dec 15 2012, 06:21 AM

Getting Started
168 posts

what is this guide about?

this guide is written to assist university or college students to understand more about the grading system at tertiery education level. students are often trapped under the pretense that once they've failed, their grades can never go up again. this is fairly untrue in most of the cases. however it is important to note that not all tertiery education system follows the same CGPA system. what i've tabled out below are applicable to local IPTAs, several IPTSs and most UK based universities.

what is CGPA?

ultimately, CGPA is where everything boils down to in ur studies. it stands for Cummulative Grade Point Average, hence CGPA, which is an accumulation of all ur grade points divided to every single credit u take. CGPA is also the determining factor of whether u get to graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper, 2nd class lower or 3rd class. however, the minimum point for each class differs from university to university. UTM for example classifies 1st class as 3.70 and above and 2nd class upper from 3.00 to 3.69. MMU on the other hand classifies 2nd class upper from 3.30 to 3.69.

what is calculated?

CGPA is calculated based on all subjects that u take. each subjects usually comes with a credit value. some less important subjects carry between 1 to 2 credits, more important ones carry 3 to 4, and the core subjects can carry between 5 to 8 credits each. also, there are subjects categorized as "compulsory attendance only" (hadir wajib sahaja) which usually carry 0 credits. these subjects hold no value, but failing it (due to poor attendance or whatever) will still hold u down from graduating successfully.

how is it calculated?

for each subject that u've successfully taken, a grade will be issued after the final exam. these grades each carry a specific point value. typically, A carries 4.00, B carries 3.00 and C carries 2.00. each of these points will be calculated based on the credit rating of each subject, and later summed up to give u ur GPA for that particular semester. for example:

semester 1

semester 2

subject P (6 credits): A = 4.00
subject Q (3 credits): B = 3.00
subject R (3 credits): E = 0.00 (FAIL)
subject S (2 credits): B = 3.00

(6 x 4.00) + (3 x 3.00) + (3 x 0.00) + (2 x 3.00) = 39 total grade point for 14 credits. hence your GPA for semester 2 is:

39 / 14 = 2.79 GPA for sem 2

now that this is ur second semester, ur CGPA will be calculated by combining the two. however, a direct average is wrong.  CGPA is calculated NOT based on the average of GPAs per semester, but based on grade points per credit that u take. to calculate ur CGPA based on the two semesters above:

[(total grade point for sem 1) + (total grade point for sem 2)] / total credit taken in all semesters

[(32) + (39)] / (11 + 14) = 2.84 CGPA

now, let's try the next semester where u retake the failed subject:

semester 3

39 / 12 = 3.25 GPA.

[(32) + (39 - 0) + (39)] / [(11) + (14 - 3) + (12)] =  110 / 34 = 3.24 CGPA!

implications

wrong calculations would lead to students being afraid to fail, simply bcoz the impression that failed subjects would drag the CGPA even further down. this is wrong. repeating the failed subject replaces the old grades. in ur CGPA, it is as if u've never failed before. most students would simply accept a C- or D+, which is usually the minimum passing rate, in hope that they dont have to ever repeat the subject, and hopefully score more subjects in time.

thing is, once u've got a D+/C-, it's very hard to catch up and drag ur pointers up. i strongly advise students whom ultimately concerned for their grades to DARE to fail and repeat it again. ofcourse, certain subjects are big enough that repeating means u have to extend another semester. well, if it means graduating between a 2nd class lower and a 2nd class upper, why not? 

good luck! thumbup.gif
Hi, this is not completely related with the topic you posted but you seems to know well about this. So I would like to ask if can you explain me about the credits in O-Level which require to do foundation & diploma courses in most of the universities ? and do they only check how many credits I have in O-levels or they check GPA in my O-levels ? Thank you so much
Suppose if I have 1A,3D,2C. How many credits do I have then ?
beblink
post Dec 15 2012, 01:10 PM

Feeling bleh
894 posts

How do i calculate if the grades were to have + and -
Like A+, A-, B+, B-
Stamp
post Dec 15 2012, 01:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

QUOTE(beblink @ Dec 15 2012, 01:10 PM)
Like A+, A-, B+, B-
each grade is assigned a point.

ex. A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0....etc.
beblink
post Dec 15 2012, 01:42 PM

Feeling bleh
894 posts

QUOTE(Stamp @ Dec 15 2012, 01:32 PM)
each grade is assigned a point.

ex. A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0....etc.
Ahhh i see...thanks! biggrin.gif
CleverDick
post Dec 15 2012, 01:46 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(beblink @ Dec 15 2012, 01:10 PM)
Like A+, A-, B+, B-
A+ is still considered as 4.0, the only thing that sets it apart from A is the marks it represents and it is typically awarded to students who achieve 90 or above...
beblink
post Dec 15 2012, 01:49 PM

Feeling bleh
894 posts

QUOTE(CleverDick @ Dec 15 2012, 01:46 PM)
A+ is still considered as 4.0, the only thing that sets it apart from A is the marks it represents and it is typically awarded to students who achieve 90 or above...
So if get A also, it is not possible to get a 4.0 right since Stamp says the cgpa differs just because of the + and -?
CleverDick
post Dec 15 2012, 04:09 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(beblink @ Dec 15 2012, 01:49 PM)
So if get A also, it is not possible to get a 4.0 right since Stamp says the cgpa differs just because of the + and -?
No, getting an A+ or A won't affect your cgpa since gradepoints-wise they are the same (4.0), they differ only by the marks they represent, but getting an A- will definitely affect your cgpa since it carries a grade point of 3.67 or 3.7...

This post has been edited by CleverDick: Dec 15 2012, 04:10 PM
beblink
post Dec 15 2012, 04:49 PM

Feeling bleh
894 posts

QUOTE(CleverDick @ Dec 15 2012, 04:09 PM)
No, getting an A+ or A won't affect your cgpa since gradepoints-wise they are the same (4.0), they differ only by the marks they represent, but getting an A- will definitely affect your cgpa since it carries a grade point of 3.67 or 3.7...
Ahhh i get it now smile.gif
does B+ and B are the same too?
CleverDick
post Dec 15 2012, 05:34 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(beblink @ Dec 15 2012, 04:49 PM)
Ahhh i get it now smile.gif
does B+ and B are the same too?
Nope, the said rule only applies only to A+ and A, all other grades after that have their own pointers, with B+ = 3.33, B = 3.00, B- = 2.67, C+ = 2.33, C = 2.00, the rest is a bit of gray area because while some universities assign pointers to grades below C, some consider them as fail and assign a pointer of zero...

This post has been edited by CleverDick: Dec 15 2012, 05:46 PM
beblink
post Dec 15 2012, 06:21 PM

Feeling bleh
894 posts

QUOTE(CleverDick @ Dec 15 2012, 05:34 PM)
Nope, the said rule only applies only to A+ and A, all other grades after that have their own pointers, with B+ = 3.33, B = 3.00, B- = 2.67, C+ = 2.33, C = 2.00, the rest is a bit of gray area because while some universities assign pointers to grades below C, some consider them as fail and assign a pointer of zero...
ohhhh so means like A+ is representing you get like maybe 95 and A probably like 89 right?
Thanks heheh
Stamp
post Dec 17 2012, 09:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

QUOTE(CleverDick @ Dec 15 2012, 05:34 PM)
My US university assigned C- = 1.7, D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0 and F = 0. But then this was a couple of decades ago! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Stamp: Dec 17 2012, 09:27 AM
XeactorZ
post Mar 27 2013, 04:53 AM

♥ PandaDog ♥
All Stars
31,226 posts

nice guide
but I failed a lot subject and thought the failed subject is still calculated LOL

example
sem 1 failed 1 subject
sem 2 resit it and pass

so that subject calculate 2 times for GPA LOL
CloudTen
post May 3 2013, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Quick question: Can a person get 4.0 CGPA without maintaining 4.0 GPA every semester?
TSazarimy
post May 3 2013, 11:08 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(CloudTen @ May 3 2013, 02:51 PM)
Quick question: Can a person get 4.0 CGPA without maintaining 4.0 GPA every semester?
if the school practices a grade reset at any of the semester, yes.

an example of a grade reset is university of sheffield's school of architecture. the grade weightage for CGPA calculation is divided between the 3 years as 0:30:70. meaning, anything u achieved during 1st year virtually does not count. then the 2nd year grades make 30%, while 3rd year make 70%.

so technically, if u screwed up ur 1st year, u're still safe as long as u score 4.00 throughout 2nd and 3rd year.
mistyworld1929
post Jan 1 2014, 11:21 PM

11 posts

Can you guys help me to check whether the calculation of GPA and CGPA are correct or not. As it is bit complicated for me transition from CGPA to GPA

Help University 2009 - 2010
- CGPA: 2.38 out of 4.00

Help University, 2011 – 2012
- CGPA: 3.58 out of 4.00

University of Queensland, 2013
- GPA: 4.75 out of 7

Total GPA: 5.01 out of 7.00
Total CGPA: 2.86 out of 4.00

SUSProfessionalDiam
post Jan 2 2014, 07:54 AM

42 posts

malaysian uni .. 4 .. 3.75 .. 3.5 .. 3.25 .. 3.. blabla
australian 4 3 2 1 0.7.

Malaysian uni gets better CGPA reading? true?
TSazarimy
post Jan 2 2014, 09:54 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mistyworld1929 @ Jan 1 2014, 03:21 PM)
Can you guys help me to check whether the calculation of GPA and CGPA are correct or not. As it is bit complicated for me transition from CGPA to GPA

Help University 2009 - 2010
- CGPA: 2.38 out of 4.00

Help University, 2011 – 2012
- CGPA: 3.58 out of 4.00

University of Queensland, 2013
- GPA: 4.75 out of 7

Total GPA: 5.01 out of 7.00
Total CGPA: 2.86 out of 4.00
GPA is Grade Point Average. it's what you get for each individual semester.
CGPA is Cumulative Grade Point Average. it's when you collect all the GPAs from all semesters and average them out.

GPA is part of CGPA. but u cant compare GPA with CGPA side by side.
mistyworld1929
post Jan 2 2014, 12:14 PM

11 posts

I am thinking to put the overall 3 years degree GPA or CGPA into my resume. Thanks for the explanation, and I fully understand the meaning of these, i have problem in summing up all these figures.

the reason I separate the HELP UNIVERSITY's CGPA as I changed my major. But still the previous subjects have taken have been exempted.

If can't compare GPA and CGPA side by side, whats the best way to present it in my resume? Thanks smile.gif
nVidiaFX
post Jan 2 2014, 01:02 PM

you can't handle the truth.
4,880 posts

Anyone know the CGPA grading for taylors university lakeside?
berbaliang9
post Mar 11 2014, 11:22 AM

2 posts

So if i failed 1 subject and got c for another one,what would why gpa be?

Rapidknight
post Mar 11 2014, 09:02 PM

Casual
377 posts

QUOTE(berbaliang9 @ Mar 11 2014, 11:22 AM)
So if i failed 1 subject and got c for another one,what would why gpa be?
Grade Point Average or GPA is [Sum( credit hour X grade point) divided by the sum(credit hour)] for that particular sem only.

For example, I take 3 units with credit hour of 4, 3, and 3, and obtain grade point of 4, 4, and 3.67 respectively.
Then my GPA for that sem is (4X4 + 3X4 + 3X3.67)/(4+3+3).

Different uni may have different grading scale, and different credit hours for different units. So without the values of your unit credit hours and grade point, ppl here cant help you.
pw8799
post Dec 25 2014, 12:41 PM

On my way
680 posts

QUOTE(cavcite @ Aug 17 2007, 04:15 PM)
yup...my fren brave enuff to get fail his subject rather than getting C or D,his extended one semester more than me..just to make sure he pass syarat to take master degree
what 's the requirement to study up to master degree? second upper class honour for degree ?
TSazarimy
post Dec 27 2014, 09:01 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(pw8799 @ Dec 25 2014, 04:41 AM)
what 's the requirement to study up to master degree? second upper class honour for degree ?
yes. usually the common standard is 3.00cgpa.
miong93
post Jan 15 2015, 06:28 PM

~ Fulamak ~
1,236 posts

Erm.. would like to know, if we failed FYP, how much will the cgpa drop ??
Will be be from 3.67 to 2.67 ? assuming other 4 subject on that particular semester is all B-, with 3 CH on all 4 subject

TSazarimy
post Jan 15 2015, 06:55 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(miong93 @ Jan 15 2015, 10:28 AM)
Erm.. would like to know, if we failed FYP, how much will the cgpa drop ??
Will be be from 3.67 to 2.67 ? assuming other 4 subject on that particular semester is all B-, with 3 CH on all 4 subject
I need to know:

How many credits have u taken so far (minus this sem) and ur current pointer. As well as the credit for FYP.
miong93
post Jan 15 2015, 08:49 PM

~ Fulamak ~
1,236 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jan 15 2015, 06:55 PM)
I need to know:

How many credits have u taken so far (minus this sem) and ur current pointer. As well as the credit for FYP.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Credits hours taken so far: 91
Current CGPA : 3.91
This sem credit hours : 12 (4 subject excluding FYP)
FYP credit hours : 6 (3 for last sem (last sem didn't have grade.. just a CONT, 3 for this sem)
TSazarimy
post Jan 15 2015, 10:02 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(miong93 @ Jan 15 2015, 12:49 PM)
Thanks for the quick reply.

Credits hours taken so far: 91
Current CGPA : 3.91
This sem credit hours : 12 (4 subject excluding FYP)
FYP credit hours : 6 (3 for last sem (last sem didn't have grade.. just a CONT, 3 for this sem)
well at a glance, with 3.91cgpa from 91 credits, it's impossible to go lower than 3.50 with another 12 credits. but lets calculate and see what'll happen:

3.91 x 91 = 355.81 (this is your total accumulated points so far).

assume this sem all subjects get an A (4.00):
4.00 x 12 = 48
(355.81 + 48) / (91 + 12)
403.81 / 103
= 3.92

assume this sem all subjects get a C (2.00):
2.00 x 12 = 24
(355.81 + 24) / (91 + 12)
379.81 / 103
= 3.69

let's take your example FYP (3 credit) gets the worst fail of E (0.00), and the rest (9 credits) of B- (2.70):
(0.00 x 3) + (2.70 x 9) = 24.3
(355.81 + 24.3) / (91 + 12)
380.11 / 103
= 3.69

now assume worst case scenario u get a minimum pass of D (1.00) for all subjects:
1.00 x 12 = 12
(355.81 + 12) / (91 +12)
367.81 / 103
= 3.57

see? nothing to worry about.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Jan 15 2015, 10:05 PM
miong93
post Jan 15 2015, 11:07 PM

~ Fulamak ~
1,236 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jan 15 2015, 10:02 PM)
well at a glance, with 3.91cgpa from 91 credits, it's impossible to go lower than 3.50 with another 12 credits. but lets calculate and see what'll happen:

3.91 x 91 = 355.81 (this is your total accumulated points so far).

assume this sem all subjects get an A (4.00):
4.00 x 12 = 48
(355.81 + 48) / (91 + 12)
403.81 / 103
= 3.92

assume this sem all subjects get a C (2.00):
2.00 x 12 = 24
(355.81 + 24) / (91 + 12)
379.81 / 103
= 3.69

let's take your example FYP (3 credit) gets the worst fail of E (0.00), and the rest (9 credits) of B- (2.70):
(0.00 x 3) + (2.70 x 9) = 24.3
(355.81 + 24.3) / (91 + 12)
380.11 / 103
= 3.69

now assume worst case scenario u get a minimum pass of D (1.00) for all subjects:
1.00 x 12 = 12
(355.81 + 12) / (91 +12)
367.81 / 103
= 3.57
see? nothing to worry about.
Oh Okay !! Thanks for the detailed explanation ! Appreciate it a lot ! smile.gif

But one more question.. Does FYP 1 and FYP 2 gpa counted together or separately ? Because in my result slip there is no grade for FYP 1, only a continue status (CONT). So I'm wondering is it good to assume the FYP credit is 3 instead of 6.

I'm having so much doubt as I need to maintain in first class as I'm not planning to pay for ptptn icon_question.gif
TSazarimy
post Jan 15 2015, 11:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(miong93 @ Jan 15 2015, 03:07 PM)
Oh Okay !! Thanks for the detailed explanation ! Appreciate it a lot ! smile.gif

But one more question.. Does FYP 1 and FYP 2 gpa counted together or separately ? Because in my result slip there is no grade for FYP 1, only a continue status (CONT). So I'm wondering is it good to assume the FYP credit is 3 instead of 6.

I'm having so much doubt as I need to maintain in first class as I'm not planning to pay for ptptn  icon_question.gif
still doesnt make a difference. what is the minimum cgpa for 1st class in ur university? 3.67, 3.70 or 3.75? either way, the only way u could screw up if u score a lot of Ds.
miong93
post Jan 15 2015, 11:13 PM

~ Fulamak ~
1,236 posts

3.67 is the minimum cgpa for 1st class.

Yea I worry a lot as I scare I couldn't maintain the 1st class. Cause I'm still having 1 short sem.

Thanks a lot for your explanation. It really did helped up me.
Aligato smile.gif
stella95
post Feb 26 2015, 01:17 PM

5 posts

i just want to ask about mu overall stpm result 2015
im stpm student 2014
if my geografi
sem 1(32%)=A- sem 2 (32%)= A sem 3(16%)= c-
sem 4 (20%)= A
then, i have chance to get A in overall my stpm result? can everybody tell me?
i really worry to my geografi result
coco mark is very important? i get 8.15 over 10?
avavida
post May 4 2017, 03:28 PM

2 posts

I know that it is unfair that some students spend no time at all on schoolwork and get A’s while others struggle and barely scrape C’s.

This post has been edited by avavida: May 4 2017, 03:30 PM
sagethesausage
post Jun 10 2017, 02:31 PM

On my way
604 posts

Thanks for this post. It made me decide to fail a course this sem so that I can retake and try harder next sem.

Edit: Talked to my lecturer and he said my carry marks are too high to fail. Shit.

This post has been edited by sagethesausage: Jun 10 2017, 06:49 PM
FLYING PANTIES
post May 20 2019, 08:30 PM

⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾
953 posts

cgpa is 3.21 and i score C+ in 4 subject. still left with 2 years. is it possible to get first class degree?
TSazarimy
post May 20 2019, 08:47 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(FLYING PANTIES @ May 20 2019, 08:30 PM)
cgpa is 3.21 and i score C+ in 4 subject. still left with 2 years. is it possible to get first class degree?
We need to know how many subjects you've taken (to get that 3.21) and how many that's left.

Assuming your 1st class is 3.70 and you're about halfway through, I estimate it is very unlikely you'll be able to score 1st class unless you score perfect 4.00 in the next 2 years.
FLYING PANTIES
post May 21 2019, 12:50 AM

⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾
953 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ May 20 2019, 08:47 PM)
We need to know how many subjects you've taken (to get that 3.21) and how many that's left.

Assuming your 1st class is 3.70 and you're about halfway through, I estimate it is very unlikely you'll be able to score 1st class unless you score perfect 4.00 in the next 2 years.
maybe if i retook the subject that i got C+ and repair is it still possible

i just dont want to pay ptptn...want to graduate without debt bruce.gif
TSazarimy
post May 21 2019, 08:07 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(FLYING PANTIES @ May 21 2019, 12:50 AM)
maybe if i retook the subject that i got C+ and repair is it still possible

i just dont want to pay ptptn...want to graduate without debt bruce.gif
Retaking subjects depend on how your university calculates CGPA. Some schools practice "append method", where the amount of pointers you get is divided with the total credits you've attempted. This means the more time you repeat, the harder for you to score.

Other schools use "replace method", where your pointers is divided with the total credits acquired. This means you can repeat and replace old grades as you wish and the only drawback is time.

There are several issues with your intent:

1. If I'm not mistaken, PTPTN only consider 1st class with graduate on time for the exemption. Please check on this. If confirmed, it means you have to retake 4 subjects without adding a semester to qualify.

2. Most schools take the latest grade. Meaning if you repeat a C+ subject, but get a C later on, you will use the C and the C+ is burn.

3. Some schools don't even allow retaking a non-failed subjects. And those that do, have an upper limit. Meaning you can only repeat C+ subjects, but not B-.
MGM
post May 21 2019, 12:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ May 21 2019, 08:07 AM)
Retaking subjects depend on how your university calculates CGPA. Some schools practice "append method", where the amount of pointers you get is divided with the total credits you've attempted. This means the more time you repeat, the harder for you to score.

Other schools use "replace method", where your pointers is divided with the total credits acquired. This means you can repeat and replace old grades as you wish and the only drawback is time.

1. If I'm not mistaken, PTPTN only consider 1st class with graduate on time for the exemption. Please check on this. If confirmed, it means you have to retake 4 subjects without adding a semester to qualify.

2. Most schools take the latest grade. Meaning if you repeat a C+ subject, but get a C later on, you will use the C and the C+ is burn.

3. Some schools don't even allow retaking a non-failed subjects. And those that do, have an upper limit. Meaning you can only repeat C+ subjects, but not B-.
For UTM, foundation and all UG irrespective of faculties will use the same method? And which one?
TSazarimy
post May 21 2019, 06:08 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ May 21 2019, 12:26 PM)
For UTM,  foundation and all UG irrespective of faculties will use the same method? And which one?
I don't know about foundation, but for UG, we use the replace method.
FLYING PANTIES
post May 22 2019, 08:07 PM

⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾
953 posts

Previously I did my diploma and doing my degree now.

So, I did Credit Exemption for 5 subjects which is around 1 semester. Means I got 1 semester extra left I can use to retake the 4 subject without extending. Will it work? What do you think?
emefbiemef
post Jul 18 2019, 12:35 PM

Getting Started
108 posts

3. Some schools don't even allow retaking a non-failed subjects.
In case of needing a few more points to obtain first class degree, is it possible to write an appeal letter to dean/chancellor to allow special exemption to this rule?
Per your experience, has there been a case of this in the past?

This post has been edited by emefbiemef: Jul 18 2019, 12:36 PM
TSazarimy
post Jul 19 2019, 07:15 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(emefbiemef @ Jul 18 2019, 12:35 PM)
In case of needing a few more points to obtain first class degree, is it possible to write an appeal letter to dean/chancellor to allow special exemption to this rule?
Per your experience, has there been a case of this in the past?
For schools that follow the no-retaking of passed subjects, I believe the answer is no. Exemption means they are reversing a position that they have set from the beginning. I find it very unlikely that they would do that.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0905sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:02 AM