28 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[2020] Mac Mini with M1 Discussion Thread

views

NoKusshon
post Nov 19 2020, 05:56 AM

Knowledge is Everything. Well Yeah.
1,391 posts

Finally, after wait so long to get simple MacOS, this is the one I'm waiting for ! smile.gif
NightFelix
post Nov 19 2020, 03:27 PM

Samsung Exynos
All Stars
17,435 posts

Finally a good reason to own a mac?
bangolufsen
post Nov 21 2020, 01:35 PM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(myrancid @ Nov 14 2020, 09:48 PM)
Why Mac Mini is less popular in Malaysia?
I think mostly it’s behavior, most will gravitate to tablet or laptop. Same with Apple, most will buy iPad or MacBook.
kevinpss
post Nov 21 2020, 02:59 PM

Casual
464 posts

QUOTE(bangolufsen @ Nov 21 2020, 01:35 PM)
I think mostly it’s behavior, most will gravitate to tablet or laptop. Same with Apple, most will buy iPad or MacBook.
not really....people dun buy Mac mini and they need to additional purchase for monitor screen and keyboard + mouse

if you want to get a good monitor (4K & Above) with color calibration to use with this Mac mini....the total price can let you to purchase iMac already....

This post has been edited by kevinpss: Nov 21 2020, 03:00 PM
bangolufsen
post Nov 21 2020, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(kevinpss @ Nov 21 2020, 02:59 PM)
not really....people dun buy Mac mini and they need to additional purchase for monitor screen and keyboard + mouse

if you want to get a good monitor (4K & Above) with color calibration to use with this Mac mini....the total price can let you to purchase iMac already....
You can see the trend of worldwide shipment of desktop vs laptop vs tablet here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/...nd-desktop-pcs/

Worldwide sales of laptops have eclipsed desktops for more than a decade. This gap is expected to only grow in the future as mobile performance becomes better (eg apple silicon on MacBook Air).

MaxLaw
post Nov 21 2020, 07:54 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

Mac Mini serves a specific market and user group I guess: first time mac user, companies that run mac servers (?), users who don't like all-in-one-computer and those who prefer to use own monitors and peripherals...
TSwestlife
post Nov 21 2020, 09:51 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,295 posts

QUOTE(kevinpss @ Nov 21 2020, 02:59 PM)

yup exactly. even can buy a macbook air already and it comes with nice retina display. if one is buying mac mini, even u can buy a monitor, the quality also cannot fight with apple's retina display.
kevinpss
post Nov 22 2020, 01:41 AM

Casual
464 posts

QUOTE(bangolufsen @ Nov 21 2020, 03:58 PM)
You can see the trend of worldwide shipment of desktop vs laptop vs tablet here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/...nd-desktop-pcs/

Worldwide sales of laptops have eclipsed desktops for more than a decade. This gap is expected to only grow in the future as mobile performance becomes better (eg apple silicon on MacBook Air).
I can't view the data, but it is not surprised that laptop demand is low for the past many years, after introduction of smart phone.

Gamers = Desktop ofcos.
Personal Usage = replaced by smart phone
Office/corporate = number of operational staff > sales team (non-travel --> Desktop; travel --> laptop)
Uni/college students = laptop (but the library, lecturer rooms, chancellor office, HEP office all use desktop)

TBH, I dun think Apple is looking forward to close the gap.

In fact, Windows OS still dominant in corporate...probably this benefit Lenovo, Dell, HP more...
Oh yea....if accounting students --> windows still the 1st choice

This post has been edited by kevinpss: Nov 22 2020, 01:03 PM
RiriRuruRara
post Nov 27 2020, 03:22 PM

Enthusiast
782 posts

Guys new to mac stuff, wta with my setup if I buy this mac mini will it just be plug and play or do I need to buy some more apple products to be able to use it properly??? Asking bcs if need to spend more money than I might as well spend the extra rm1k and get a macbook air which comes with everything...

Monitor: benq xl2411p
Mouse: logitech g502
Keyboard: hyperx gaming keyboard
dogsick
post Nov 27 2020, 03:39 PM

19 posts

You probably need to spend some money on some accessories:-
- USB/SD-Card hubs. The Mac mini only comes with 2 USB-A, 2 Thunderbolt (USB-C) and HDMI ports. If you have a lot of things to connect, then you need this. Actually, this even more required if you buy the MacBook Air which only has 2 USB-C ports.
- External SSD. Unless you want to spend extra to upgrade the base 256GB SSD to a 512GB, you are better off getting this separately. Though, some have said that the SSD that Apple provides is screaming fast.

Apart from that, nothing much. Most accessories doesn't have to be Apple branded (unless you are completist who likes everything to "jive"). I switch regularly between Windows and Mac for work and pleasure and most of my peripherals are not Apple branded (using a 27" 4K Dell monitor, a Keychron K2 keyboard and the Apple Magic Mouse/Alienware mouse, SanDisk SSD)

If you are new to Macs, you probably want to make your decision on RAM upfront. The newer M1 models don't give an option to upgrade RAM as it is running on a unified architecture where the RAM is built into the M1 system-on-a-chip. Based on reviews, the base 8GB model should be enough for almost everybody and it performs like an Intel Mac/Windows machines with 16GB. But if you can afford additional RM800, then go for it as it will ensure that you can still use your Mac for a long, long, long time.

Cheers!

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Nov 27 2020, 03:22 PM)
Guys new to mac stuff, wta with my setup if I buy this mac mini will it just be plug and play or do I need to buy some more apple products to be able to use it properly??? Asking bcs if need to spend more money than I might as well spend the extra rm1k and get a macbook air which comes with everything...

RiriRuruRara
post Nov 27 2020, 04:15 PM

Enthusiast
782 posts

QUOTE(dogsick @ Nov 27 2020, 03:39 PM)
You probably need to spend some money on some accessories:-
- USB/SD-Card hubs. The Mac mini only comes with 2 USB-A, 2 Thunderbolt (USB-C) and HDMI ports. If you have a lot of things to connect, then you need this. Actually, this even more required if you buy the MacBook Air which only has 2 USB-C ports.
- External SSD. Unless you want to spend extra to upgrade the base 256GB SSD to a 512GB, you are better off getting this separately. Though, some have said that the SSD that Apple provides is screaming fast.

Apart from that, nothing much. Most accessories doesn't have to be Apple branded (unless you are completist who likes everything to "jive"). I switch regularly between Windows and Mac for work and pleasure and most of my peripherals are not Apple branded (using a 27" 4K Dell monitor, a Keychron K2 keyboard and the Apple Magic Mouse/Alienware mouse, SanDisk SSD)

If you are new to Macs, you probably want to make your decision on RAM upfront. The newer M1 models don't give an option to upgrade RAM as it is running on a unified architecture where the RAM is built into the M1 system-on-a-chip. Based on reviews, the base 8GB model should be enough for almost everybody and it performs like an Intel Mac/Windows machines with 16GB. But if you can afford additional RM800, then go for it as it will ensure that you can still use your Mac for a long, long, long time.

Cheers!
Hi thanks for replying. I only need to plug in my 3 things monitor,mouse and keyboard and just using the machine for web browsing and youtube, so not really a heavy user. That's why my first option was for the macbook air bcs it's monitor quality is much better than what I have now, but after I saw this mac mini which was over rm1k cheaper and if I don't have to spend anymore money on accessories than this mac mini is good enough for me and I can save that extra rm1k++.
Mavik
post Nov 27 2020, 09:29 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(myrancid @ Nov 14 2020, 11:52 AM)
Which monitor do you plan to buy for the new M1 Mac Mini?
I got this at home waiting for it, https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/gaming/ex2780q.html

It can plug in via the USB-C cable

The only question is, should I get the M1 Mac Mini
Mavik
post Nov 27 2020, 09:31 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Nov 27 2020, 03:22 PM)

When you plug in the gaming keyboard, don't forget to go to the Keyboard settings and swap command and options button. I do that with my Logitech Gaming Keyboard.

Also please note that your Mac Mini has no audio output as well so you might invest in a speaker setup. If you are planning on doing video conferences as well, you would need a webcam. I personally use this together with my Mac Mini at work.

https://www.logitech.com/en-my/product/conferencecam-connect

I use it to output audio, it has an inbuilt Mic and also a webcam. Takes up 1 USB-A port. You can connect to it via Bluetooth but the Mac Mini has been seriously notorious when it comes to bluetooth connectivity stability.
Mavik
post Nov 27 2020, 09:33 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(kevinpss @ Nov 22 2020, 01:41 AM)
I can't view the data, but it is not surprised that laptop demand is low for the past many years, after introduction of smart phone.

Gamers = Desktop ofcos.
Personal Usage = replaced by smart phone
Office/corporate = number of operational staff > sales team (non-travel --> Desktop; travel --> laptop)
Uni/college students = laptop (but the library, lecturer rooms, chancellor office, HEP office all use desktop)

TBH, I dun think Apple is looking forward to close the gap.

In fact, Windows OS still dominant in corporate...probably this benefit Lenovo, Dell, HP more...
Oh yea....if accounting students --> windows still the 1st choice
Actually the demand for laptop skyrocketed over the past 6 months locally. Went to Lowyat the other day and alot of the laptops were sold out due to parents scrambling to get laptops so that their kids can attend online classes and all.
bangolufsen
post Nov 27 2020, 11:11 PM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Nov 27 2020, 09:33 PM)
Actually the demand for laptop skyrocketed over the past 6 months locally. Went to Lowyat the other day and alot of the laptops were sold out due to parents scrambling to get laptops so that their kids can attend online classes and all.
there's really no reason to buy a desktop nowadays for the average user. even professionals tend to get "mobile workstations" too instead of the big dekstops anymore.
Mavik
post Nov 27 2020, 11:13 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(bangolufsen @ Nov 27 2020, 11:11 PM)
there's really no reason to buy a desktop nowadays for the average user. even professionals tend to get "mobile workstations" too instead of the big dekstops anymore.
There is a different market for different folks I guess, I still see IdealTech building rigs non-stop and I myself just purchased one from them to handle the heavy lifting stuff like editing videos, gaming, broadcasting, etc..etc..
But in terms of ration, I reckon laptop outsell desktops at least 20:1
RiriRuruRara
post Nov 28 2020, 05:19 AM

Enthusiast
782 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Nov 27 2020, 09:31 PM)
When you plug in the gaming keyboard, don't forget to go to the Keyboard settings and swap command and options button. I do that with my Logitech Gaming Keyboard.

Also please note that your Mac Mini has no audio output as well so you might invest in a speaker setup. If you are planning on doing video conferences as well, you would need a webcam. I personally use this together with my Mac Mini at work.

https://www.logitech.com/en-my/product/conferencecam-connect

I use it to output audio, it has an inbuilt Mic and also a webcam. Takes up 1 USB-A port. You can connect to it via Bluetooth but the Mac Mini has been seriously notorious when it comes to bluetooth connectivity stability.
Thanks bro for the reply. After careful consideration I think I just add the extra thousand ringgit and get the macbook air.
dogsick
post Nov 28 2020, 01:31 PM

19 posts

Good choice. The MacBook Air M1 looks like the best value (performance over price) that money can buy today and it will serve you very well in the years to come smile.gif

I’m holding on to my 2018 MacBook Pro for a while longer and upgrade maybe later next year when they introduce the newer Apple Silicon chip with a new hardware design. So, my interest in the Mac Mini M1 is for heavy photo editing workflow. Raw photo files demand a lot of processing power and my MacBook Pro and Windows PC (i7, 16GB) can barely keep up.

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Nov 28 2020, 05:19 AM)
Thanks bro for the reply. After careful consideration I think I just add the extra thousand ringgit and get the macbook air.
TSwestlife
post Nov 28 2020, 11:21 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,295 posts

QUOTE(dogsick @ Nov 28 2020, 01:31 PM)
Good choice. The MacBook Air M1 looks like the best value (performance over price) that money can buy today and it will serve you very well in the years to come smile.gif

I’m holding on to my 2018 MacBook Pro for a while longer and upgrade maybe later next year when they introduce the newer Apple Silicon chip with a new hardware design. So, my interest in the Mac Mini M1 is for heavy photo editing workflow. Raw photo files demand a lot of processing power and my MacBook Pro and Windows PC (i7, 16GB) can barely keep up.
Tried the new MacBooks with M1. Can seriously feel the difference even for simple task like launching safari.
carpathia
post Nov 28 2020, 11:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,619 posts

Anyone knows when the M1 Mac Mini gonna reach Malaysia ? i'm planning to buy it. Now looking for a good USB hub to pair it with, those that has a FAN inside and an insert a SSD.

28 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM