Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 🏳️‍🌈 LGBTQ Community, Discussion regarding LGBTQ

views

leftycall9
post Jun 15 2021, 03:00 PM

Casual
397 posts

[quote=nefashu,Jun 15 2021, 02:52 PM]
Didn't support what she did is clearly wrong. Preying on young children is no no regardless of gender and sexual preferences.
The same reason I condemn pedophile teachers (many cases happened in US) who spread their legs and vagina as encouragement for young male students to study and pass the exam. Which surprisingly many male forumers here wishing the same situation happened to them and their son. How hypocrite.

[/quote]

that can be count as rape or sexual assault, yes? because sex interaction with minor

[/quote]
Yes. Those pedo teachers already been charged and jailed. But I can't stand when an straight male saying 'Why is this thing didn't happen to me when I was in high school? There's hot English teacher I really want to hump on.' Or 'If my son has teacher like her I would say just go ahead,free lesson anyway hehehe.'

While in this Safiey case why they condemned her instead? Both also sex predators if we want to view it from the angle of victim's young age.
nefashu
post Jun 15 2021, 04:45 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jun 15 2021, 02:58 PM)
Did Safiey Ilias expose her vagina in her IG Live?
he expose and wiggle her boobs until you can see the nipple in front of minor.

nefashu
post Jun 15 2021, 04:46 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

[quote=leftycall9,Jun 15 2021, 03:00 PM]
that can be count as rape or sexual assault, yes? because sex interaction with minor

[/quote]
Yes. Those pedo teachers already been charged and jailed. But I can't stand when an straight male saying 'Why is this thing didn't happen to me when I was in high school? There's hot English teacher I really want to hump on.' Or 'If my son has teacher like her I would say just go ahead,free lesson anyway hehehe.'

While in this Safiey case why they condemned her instead? Both also sex predators if we want to view it from the angle of victim's young age.

[/quote]

True, I have exp from young age. It stuck until now and you will never forget about it. it change the way you think.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 15 2021, 04:53 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(nefashu @ Jun 15 2021, 04:45 PM)
he expose and wiggle her boobs until you can see the nipple in front of minor.
I see... That's not cool for sure. sweat.gif

Hmm, definitely gonna follow the case closely and see what happens. It's a slippery slope... The government does not view her as a woman. If they convict her for showing her chest would that mean men in Malaysia can no longer be shirtless around kids? That's what I want to know.
nefashu
post Jun 15 2021, 04:58 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jun 15 2021, 04:53 PM)
I see... That's not cool for sure. sweat.gif

Hmm, definitely gonna follow the case closely and see what happens. It's a slippery slope... The government does not view her as a woman. If they convict her for showing her chest would that mean men in Malaysia can no longer be shirtless around kids? That's what I want to know.
If shafie want to have a women boobs, he should treat it like a woman boobs.

Grooming child should be condemn. Please dont use so called technicality. For minor like them, women boobs is sexual object. doesnt matter if the owner is male or female

This post has been edited by nefashu: Jun 15 2021, 04:58 PM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 15 2021, 05:06 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(nefashu @ Jun 15 2021, 04:58 PM)
If shafie want to have a women boobs, he should treat it like a woman boobs.

Grooming child should be condemn. Please dont use so called technicality. For minor like them, women boobs is sexual object. doesnt matter if the owner is male or female
I don't want to be that person, but boobs really shouldn't be viewed solely as sexual objects. There's a movement to normalize women breastfeeding in public and I totally support that. Maybe I'm gay and I was breastfed so personally I don't feel anything when I see boobs. sweat.gif

Let the court decides if Safiey Ilias really intends to sexually grooms the children in her IG live. For the most part, our judiciary has been relatively impartial and I'm looking forward to their ruling.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 15 2021, 05:07 PM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 16 2021, 09:14 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(rtk74 @ Jun 16 2021, 04:47 AM)
🇭🇺 Hungary's parliament passes anti-LGBT law ahead of 2022 election

user posted image

BUDAPEST, June 15 (Reuters) - Hungary's parliament passed legislation on Tuesday that bans the dissemination of content in schools deemed to promote homosexuality and gender change, amid strong criticism from human rights groups and opposition parties.

Hardline nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who faces an election next year, has grown increasingly radical on social policy, railing against LGBT people and immigrants in his self-styled illiberal regime, which has deeply divided Hungarians.

His Fidesz party, which promotes a Christian-conservative agenda, tacked the proposal banning school talks on LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) issues to a separate, widely backed bill that strictly penalises paedophilia, making it much harder for opponents to vote against it. read more

The move, which critics say wrongly conflates paedophilia with LGBT issues, triggered a mass rally outside parliament on Monday, while several rights groups have called on Fidesz to withdraw the bill. read more

Fidesz lawmakers overwhelmingly backed the legislation on Tuesday, while leftist opposition parties boycotted the vote.

Under amendments submitted to the bill last week, under-18s cannot be shown any content that encourages gender change or homosexuality. This also applies to advertisements. The law sets up a list of organisations allowed to provide education about sex in schools.

The U.S. Embassy in Budapest said it was "deeply concerned" by anti-LGBTQI+ aspects of the legislation.

"The United States stands for the idea that governments should promote freedom of expression and protect human rights, including the rights of members of the LGBTQI+ community," it said in a statement on its website.

RESTRICTIONS

Gay marriage is not recognised in Hungary and only heterosexual couples can legally adopt children. Orban's government has redefined marriage as the union between one man and one woman in the constitution, and limited gay adoption.

Critics have drawn a parallel between the new legislation and Russia's 2013 law that bans disseminating "propaganda on non-traditional sexual relations" among young Russians.

Poland's conservative ruling party Law and Justice (PiS), Fidesz's main ally in the European Union, has taken a similarly critical stance on LGBT issues. Budapest and Warsaw are at odds with the European Union over some of their conservative reforms.

The European Parliament's rapporteur on the situation in Hungary, Greens lawmaker Gwendoline Delbos-Corfield, slammed the new law on Tuesday: "Using child protection as an excuse to target LGBTIQ people is damaging to all children in Hungary."

Orban has won three successive election landslides since 2010, but opposition parties have now combined forces for the first time and caught up with Fidesz in opinion polls.

Reporting by Gergely Szakacs Editing by Gareth Jones
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 16 2021, 11:25 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇲🇾 Jakim asks Suhakam to explain third gender legislation research
Source: https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...ation-research/

user posted image

PETALING JAYA: The department of Islamic development Malaysia (Jakim) has asked the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) to explain a research project it was conducting on legislation to recognise a third gender.

This comes after Suhakam posted a research position opening on its social media, to study the feasibility of having legislation to recognise a third gender in Malaysia.

Suhakam said the research project would last for five months tentatively from the date of appointment, with the closing date for applications on June 30.

“Jakim has requested an official explanation from Suhakam on the matter,” the department said in a brief Twitter post today.

FMT is attempting to get Suhakam’s comment.

The commission’s research opening had drawn flak on Facebook, with several netizens describing it as a waste of time and resources.

“No need (for) research on this. This is Malaysia. Not western countries. The answer is absolutely no and no,” said a user named Ahmad Zulnasri Abdul Khalid.

Meanwhile, some netizens hit back at Jakim’s tweet, with one user questioning if the whole nation was required to report to the Islamic department now.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 17 2021, 09:20 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇨🇦 Canada’s LGBT population about one million strong, bisexual women outnumber gay men
Source: https://www.straight.com/living/canadas-lgb...tnumber-gay-men

user posted image

Canada prides itself as the most LGBT-friendly country in the world.

A statistical portrait provides a look into the country’s sexually and gender diverse communities.

Most notable is that the LGBT population is about one million strong.

A new report by Statistics Canada states that the community accounts for four percent of the total population aged 15 and older in 2018.

The federal agency used data from the Canadian Community Health Survey in 2015 and 2018 to draw a portrait.

Bisexual women number the most, with 332,000.

Gay men follow, with 255,100.

Bisexual men come next, with 161,200. This means that bisexual women outnumber bisexual men by two to one.

Women who are “gay or lesbian” number 150,600.

Citing the 2018 Survey on Safety in Public and Private Spaces, Statistics Canada reported that there are approximately 75,000 Canadians who are transgender or non-binary.

Moreover, transgender or non-binary persons represent 0.24 percent of the Canadian population aged 15 and older.

Furthermore, youth aged 15 to 24 comprised just under a third or 30 percent of the LGBT population in 2018, compared with 14 percent of the non-LGBT population.

At the other end of the population spectrum, seven percent of LGBT Canadians were aged 65 or older, compared with 21 percent of non-LGBT Canadians.

Statistics Canada also reported that the number of same sex couples in Canada has grown considerably since 2001.

The agency noted that the number of same-sex couples increased by 60.7 percent from 2006 to 2016.

It stated that by comparison, the number of opposite-sex couples increased by 9.6 percent from 2006 to 2016.

“This increase may be reflective, at least in part, of growing awareness and acceptance of sexual diversity in Canada,” Statistics Canada reported.

Overall, the agency reported, there were 72,880 same-sex couples in Canada in 2016.

Same-sex couples represented 0.9 percent of all couples in the country during the 2016 Census.

Half of all same-sex couples were residing in Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, and Ottawa–Gatineau.

Statistics Canada also noted that about one in eight same-sex couples or 12 percent had children living with them in 2016.

Among opposite-sex couples, half had children living with them.

One third or 33.4 percent of same-sex couples in 2016 were married. Two-thirds were living as common-law partners.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 18 2021, 08:50 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇺🇸 U.S. Supreme Court backs Catholic group that shunned gay foster parents
Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme...ute-2021-06-17/

user posted image

WASHINGTON, June 17 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court embraced religious rights over LGBT rights on Thursday by ruling in favor of a Catholic Church-affiliated agency that sued after Philadelphia refused to place children for foster care with the organization because it barred same-sex couples from applying to become foster parents.

The 9-0 ruling, written by conservative Chief Justice John Roberts, was a victory for Catholic Social Services (CSS), part of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, and represented the latest instance of the Supreme Court taking an expansive view of religious rights under the U.S. Constitution.

The justices decided that Philadelphia's refusal to use Catholic Social Services for foster care services unless it agreed to certify same-sex couples as foster parents violated the Constitution's First Amendment guarantee of the free exercise of religion.

Catholic Social Services argued that Philadelphia had penalized it for its religious views and for following church teachings on marriage.

In the ruling, Roberts wrote, "CSS seeks only an accommodation that will allow it to continue serving the children of Philadelphia in a manner consistent with its religious beliefs; it does not seek to impose those beliefs on anyone else."

Conservative and religious advocacy rights groups cheered the decision - and the fact that the court's three liberal members joined the six conservative justices - saying it will have a major impact on future legal disputes involving religious beliefs.

"This is a strong ruling in favor of religious freedom, especially for social services providers," said Lori Windham, a lawyer for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which represented the agency and three foster parents in the case. "The court recognized that it is not the government's place to exclude religious agencies because of their religious beliefs."

"I am grateful that we can finally rest knowing that the agency that has brought my family together can continue to do the same for other families," said Toni Lynn Simms-Bush, who has served as a foster parent through Catholic Social Services and was one of the plaintiffs.

'SELECTIVE ASSESSMENT'

The justices decided that foster care certification provided by Catholic Social Services did not fall under the city's anti-discrimination ordinance because it is a service not "readily available" to the public.

"It involves a customized and selective assessment that bears little resemblance to staying in a hotel, eating at a restaurant or riding a bus," Roberts wrote.

The Supreme Court declined to take even-broader action in the form of overruling its 1990 precedent that upheld "generally applicable" laws even if they curb religious freedom. Conservative Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch said the court should have overruled that precedent.

LGBT and other liberal advocacy groups called the ruling troubling but said they were relieved it did not go further.

"Foster care is a government function, and all governments have a compelling interest in ensuring their contract agencies, including faith-based ones, treat all children and families equally. And today's ruling does mean, at least for now, that different-sex married couples have access to all city agencies, while same-sex couples do not," M. Currey Cook of the Lambda Legal pro-LGBT rights group said.

Catholic Social Services, which has helped provide foster care services for more than a century, had said it would be compelled to close its foster care operations if it was barred from Philadelphia's program.

Philadelphia in 2018 suspended foster care referrals to Catholic Social Services after a newspaper report about the organization's policy against same-sex couples as foster parents, leading the agency to file suit. Catholic Social Services said Philadelphia's action meant that available foster homes were sitting empty amid a foster care crisis in the city of about 1.5 million people.

The Philadelphia-based 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2019 ruled against Catholic Social Services, saying it had not shown that the city had treated it differently because of its religious affiliation. U.S. District Judge Petrese Tucker in 2018 also ruled against the organization.

Eleven of the 50 states currently allow private agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex couples, according to the Movement Advancement Project, a group backing gay rights.

The Supreme Court in recent years has sent mixed messages on the conflict between LGBT and religious rights.

It backed gay rights in a series of landmark rulings including a 2015 decision legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide and a 2020 ruling that a federal law barring workplace discrimination protects gay and transgender employees.

It also bolstered religious rights in several decisions including a 2014 ruling that let owners of businesses raise religious objections against the government.

No same-sex couple ever sought certification as a foster parent from Catholic Social Services. In addition to same-sex couples, it also will not certify unmarried couples as foster parents, but does not object to certifying individual gay people.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 18 2021, 08:51 AM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 21 2021, 08:45 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇳🇿 New Zealander selected as first transgender Olympian
Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/...ympics-15057736

user posted image

WELLINGTON: New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard was confirmed as the first openly transgender athlete to compete at the Olympic Games on Monday (Jun 21) when Kiwi officials named her in the squad for Tokyo next month.

New Zealand Olympic Committee chief Kereyn Smith said Hubbard, 43 - who was born male but transitioned to female in her thirties - had met all the qualification criteria for transgender athletes.

"We acknowledge that gender identity in sport is a highly sensitive and complex issue requiring a balance between human rights and fairness on the field of play," Smith said in a statement.

Hubbard, who also competed as a male, became eligible to lift as a woman after showing testosterone levels below the threshold required by the International Olympic Committee.

She will contest the women's +87kg category in Tokyo, an event in which she is currently ranked 16th in the world.

Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand President Richie Patterson said Hubbard has worked hard to come back from as potentially career-ending elbow injury suffered at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

"Laurel has shown grit and perseverance in her return from a significant injury and overcoming the challenges in building back confidence on the competition platform," he said.

Current IOC rules state a trans woman can compete provided her testosterone levels are below 10 nanomoles per litre, a criteria Hubbard meets.

But critics say she has numerous physical advantages from growing up male that make her presence in the competition unfair for female-born athletes.

Hubbard, an intensely private person who avoids the media, did not address the gender issue in remarks released by the NZOC.

But she thanks the community for supporting her return from injury.

"I am grateful and humbled by the kindness and support that has been given to me by so many New Zealanders ... your support, your encouragement, and your aroha (love) carried me through the darkness," she said.
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 21 2021, 02:10 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇲🇾 A RESPONSE TO CRITICISM AGAINST SUHAKAM’S STUDY “FEASIBILITY OF HAVING LEGISLATION OF THE RECOGNITION OF A THIRD GENDER IN MALAYSIA”

user posted image

Legal gender recognition is the process of changing the name and gender information on official key documents and in registries, in order to recognize a person’s gender identity. This process recognizes transgender and non-binary persons as equal human beings with dignity and affirms their right to identity and self determination.

DISCRIMINATION CAUSED BY LACK OF LEGAL GENDER RECOGNITION

The non-recognition of gender identity in legal documents opens transgender persons up to multiple forms of discrimination, violence, degrading and humiliating treatment, fraud and other forms of exploitation. Simple, every day tasks like going to the bank can cause extreme anxiety for a trans person who has to reveal that they are transgender and answer questions regarding their gender identity.

Another example documented in ARROW’s LGBT Monitoring Report relates the humiliating experience of a trans woman and her friends who were made to stand in gender-segregated lines based on their gender marker in their identification cards during a club raid. They also faced verbal violence, including being told that they are men.

The Suhakam study “Discrimination Against Transgender Persons based in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor (2019) shows that 57% of the respondents faced pre-employment discrimination. Respondents were, among other things, subjected to intrusive questions about their gender identity, bodies and appearance, and the difference between their physical appearance and the gender identity stated in their identity cards.

Doxing or non-consensual disclosure of transgender persons’ gender identity, as well other forms of violation of privacy by state and non-state actors takes place with impunity. There are many instances of Malaysian state agencies that have directly violated transgender and intersex persons’ privacy by disclosing their gender identity in to the public. In 2020, state religious agencies obtained Nur Sajat’s legal documents from the National Registration Department, disclosing her deadname and assigned sex to the media without her consent, resulting in the deadnaming and misgendering of Sajat in the media, and prosecution against her based on her gender identity. Similarly, doxing can also potentially expose transgender persons to vigilantism.

In the past, state agencies have also proposed medical tests that are not evidence- or rights-based to determine a person’s gender identity. Gender identity is self determined. Just like cisgender people, transgender, non-binary and gender diverse persons do not need to be subjected to tests to determine their gender identity. Research shows that as human beings we are able to articulate and express our gender identity from childhood.

The International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) removed all trans-related diagnoses from the mental disorders chapter as “evidence is now clear that it is not a mental disorder, and indeed classifying it in this way can cause enormous stigma for people who are transgender…”

86% of the respondents of the Suhakam study stated that they would prefer to change their gender marker in their identification cards. These are the provided reasons:
  • Their physical features conformed to male or female but this was not reflected in their identification card;
  • To be recognised as woman or man;
  • To avoid discrimination based on gender;
  • To ease daily affairs such as movement, access to education and religion;
  • To reflect current identity in their identification card;
  • It would give benefits, advantages, comfort, confidence and boldness to them;
  • It would be easier to obtain jobs;
  • To avoid confusion of the (respondents) gender identity.
LEGAL GENDER RECOGNITION WILL HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON TRANSGENDER PERSONS LIVES:
  1. Ability to live with dignity and feel a sense of safety and security. The Suhakam study shows 46% of the respondents stated that they don’t feel safe living in Malaysia because of lack of acceptance, discriminatory laws, discrimination, lack of life security, unable to change gender marker in IC, increased vulnerability to arrest, among others. Meanwhile, 72% have thought of migrating to countries that provide better protection for trans people, legal gender recognition, accessible trans healthcare services, and an environment where trans persons are able to express themselves without hesitation. A gender recognition law will acknowledge transgender persons’ gender identity and contribute to transgender persons’ safety.
  2. Significantly improve mental health and well-being. Transgender persons and other marginalized groups face minority stress as a result of the discrimination, violence and marginalization that they experience. In addition, transgender and non-binary persons experience varying levels of gender dysphoria, a form of anxiety and stress as a result of binary norms that trans and non-binary people are subjected to. For a transgender person, minority stress and gender dysphoria can surface when they are misgendered and mistreated because of their gender identity.
  3. Strengthen families and foster family acceptance. Legal gender recognition can help lead to acceptance from family members, and reduce the isolation faced by transgender persons, thereby strengthening the family institution. One of the main drivers of discrimination, violence and suppression of gender identity and gender expression against transgender persons by family members is fear of discrimination, violence and marginalization of transgender persons. Thus, legal gender recognition and affirming laws can foster wider acceptance of transgender persons.
  4. Opens doors for protection and access to all areas. Legal gender recognition will address multiple forms of discrimination and contribute to transgender persons gaining greater access to employment, healthcare services, housing, education and other areas of life without discrimination and fear.
Read more: https://justiceforsisters.wordpress.com/202...er-in-malaysia/

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 24 2021, 05:30 PM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 22 2021, 01:24 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇺🇸 Danica Roem's message to LGBTQ youth: 'You have to care' about politics
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/20/politics...tics/index.html

user posted image

It was a moment captured for the history books.

Danica Roem, on her knees with her face in her hands, crying. It was 2017 and she had just become the first state lawmaker who identifies as transgender elected in Virginia.

She will always be the first, but four years later, she is no longer the only person in the US who identifies as transgender to be elected and serve in a state legislative body. It's not a well populated trail, but one she is proud to have blazed.

"They were willing to look at me and they go, 'Yeah, we know she's trans and she'll do a great job,'" Roem said of her constituents in an interview with CNN earlier this month.

"I never say 'trans but,' always 'trans and.' Because it's like, no, I don't hide who I am. People know exactly who I am here."

And during this Pride Month, Roem has a message to the younger people in the LGBTQ community who say they don't like politics: "When you are an LGBTQ person, you have to care."

Roem represents Virginia's 13th District in the House of Delegates -- an area near the home of the first major battle of the Civil War. Roem jokes that there are still more things named after Confederate general Stonewall Jackson in her county than there are Starbucks locations.

She says her success is built on deep knowledge of local issues since she grew up in the Manassas area she now represents.

"When I was asked on election night, 'Hey, what does this mean?' It was just like, well, it means that a trans woman is going to finally work on fixing Route 28."

Though Roem is a state legislator, her history-making moment means her platform is national. She is well aware that her visibility and representation are changing the national conversation.

"What we learned from the marriage equality fights," she explained, is that "if you know a gay person in your life and you see just that person, just being a person, that you (are) far less likely to want to restrict their civil rights."

Given that 0.6% of Americans identify as transgender, according to a Gallup poll on LGBT identification published earlier this year, she recognizes that for some people, she may be the only trans person they know.

"If you know a trans person, you're much more likely to support our civil rights. But because there are fewer of us, it makes it a harder conversation."

Her path to politics

Before her run for office in 2017, Roem spent nine years as a journalist in her community, which she says was her chief qualification for elected office.

"What person is going to be more qualified to represent their community than a lifelong resident of that community who spent their career actually covering the public policy issues of the community?'"

She first got invested in politics in 2003, when then-President George W. Bush wanted to limit marriage to heterosexuals. She couldn't ignore what was happening.

"I would read the newspaper, I would read USA Today, New York Times," she says. "I would read those every single day, and then I would go online and I would read about politics, two hours a day, seven days a week, every day for years."

Though she hadn't yet come out, Roem said she sought to understand what legal mechanisms existed to protect people like her -- and more importantly -- how to fight for them.

Across the country today, many states permit a legal strategy known as the gay and trans "panic" defense, which can allow people who are charged with violent crimes against LGBTQ victims to argue that it was the victim's gender identity or sexual orientation that drove them to violence.

Earlier this year, at the behest of a teenage constituent who told her it was scary growing up knowing that someone could get away with harming them, Roem introduced a bill to ban the gay and trans panic defense for murder or manslaughter in Virginia.

"I realized ... that that person was living with the same fear in 2020 that I had as a closeted high school freshman in 1998."

It passed the legislature in February, making Virginia the first state in the South and 12th in the country to ban it as a defense of murder or manslaughter.

"We're simply saying that a person's mere presence and existence as an LGBTQ person does not constitute a heat of passion defense that negates malice in an attack. In layman's terms, you can't just assault and kill someone just because you feel like it," Roem said.

April Fools' Day

Roem was 14 years old when Matthew Shepard was brutally murdered in 1998 in Wyoming for being gay.

"I knew damn well who I was at that point, and I was too scared to tell anyone. And then when you see a young gay man in Wyoming being pistol-whipped, bound to a fence post, and left to die in the freezing cold. ... When you see that play out, it's the late nineties and you're in the South and you go, what's happening in Wyoming is not far fetched from what could be happening in Virginia," Roem recalled.

Fearing for her own safety and the lack of legal protection, and worried about how her family and friends would react, she waited another 14 years before she decided to transition.

"I was at a point at age 28 where I did not want to go into my thirties living a lie. I had pretended to be someone else my entire life by this point. I had known who I was since I was 10 years old."

She was afraid of disappointing people, especially her mom, she said, and struggled to decide how she wanted to tell people. She thought Facebook would be a good place to start, and eventually changed her gender and her name on the platform -- on April Fools' Day.

"I figured, okay, if it goes badly, 'April Fools!' If it goes well, I'll let it ride," she explained. "I thought it was the safest day of the year for me to do it because if I just did on like April 2, it would just be like, 'Um, I have questions. What are you trying to tell us?'"

Despite her concerns, she said she felt supported by friends who told her they loved her new look.

"And so go figure, that was like the day of my adult life where I was being real. April Fools' Day was the day I was being like, nope. This is actually who I am. And I've let it roll ever since."

As a teenager, Roem said she didn't have LGBTQ role models of her own -- she didn't even know any. She saw trans people portrayed in the media, but only in a limited, disheartening, fashion.

"Trans representation was whoever was being ridiculed on Jerry Springer," she remembered. "Or 'When we come back on Maury, we're going to have a shocking announcement about this person's really dating a man,' or, you know, like some stupid crap like that."

She knows now that she wasn't alone.

"Now I know at least five or six people who I went to school with who are out, including same-sex couples who are married now. And it's just the oddly comforting thing about that is like, 'Oh, it wasn't just me who was suffocating,'" Roem said.

'Politics cares about you'

This year has already become the worst year for anti-LGBTQ legislation in recent history, according to the Human Rights Campaign. As of May, more than 250 anti-LGBTQ bills had been introduced at the state level, with 17 of them signed into law.

"When you are an LGBTQ person in the United States, regardless of whether you care about politics, politics cares about you," Roem said.

Her plea is personal, and she hopes her activism will inspire the next generation into action as well.

"If you're not involved, if you are not your best advocate, you're asking someone else to fill that void. Some of the people who will try to step up to fill that void are going to be political charlatans who have no interest in preserving your best interest," Roem said.

"You can't count on other people to be your best advocate. You have to step up."
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 24 2021, 08:50 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

🇪🇺 Uefa add rainbow to logo as Hungary anti-LGBT row intensifies
Source: https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...ow-intensifies/

user posted image

LAUSANNE: Uefa on Wednesday added the rainbow to their logo as they defended their decision to refuse to allow Munich’s Allianz Arena to be illuminated in the same colours in protest at anti-LGBTQ laws passed in Hungary.

In a statement European football’s governing body said they “are proud to wear the colours of the rainbow”, a symbol for the LGBTQ community, but stood by their decision by saying the city of Munich’s request to illuminate the stadium was “political”.

Germany will play Hungary at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday on the final day of Euro 2020 group matches.

“The request itself was political, linked to the Hungarian football team’s presence in the stadium for this evening’s match with Germany,” Uefa said.

Uefa said that the rainbow was “a symbol that embodies our core values, promoting everything that we believe in – a more just and egalitarian society, tolerant of everyone, regardless of their background, belief or gender”.

And they insisted that their decision to turn down Munich’s request was not political, saying that “the rainbow is not a political symbol, but a sign of our firm commitment to a more diverse and inclusive society”.

Munich’s request to illuminate the stadium in the Bavarian capital came after the Hungarian parliament approved a ban on the “promotion” of homosexuality and gender change to minors, legislation that critics say is even harsher than Russia’s law on “gay propaganda”.

Last year homosexual couples were also effectively banned from adopting children, a measure that led to rare criticism of government policy by a Hungarian sports personality – the national team’s goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 24 2021, 09:25 AM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 24 2021, 10:36 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

Trying to defend the first transgender athlete in the upcoming Olympics is very challenging because some people are very hung up to the idea that once someone is born a specific gender then they will always be that one gender.

I reckon the Olympic committee has had this debate a lot too in closed doors and finally settled to limiting the amount of testosterone one person has, among other biological metrics. I think that's a very good compromise. I wonder what sort of argument people will come up with next once we have the first transman participating in sports that emphasize less on strength and more on flexbility like badminton, for example. sweat.gif

Regardless, very excited for our first transgender athlete in the Olympics. Whether she wins or not, her participation will pave way to more athletes in the future who doesn't fit the traditional binary gender roles. What a time to be alive.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Jun 24 2021, 10:52 AM
TSinternaldisputes
post Jun 24 2021, 10:41 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(orangtua @ Jun 24 2021, 10:20 PM)
🇲🇾 Stern action to be taken to address religious insults, LGBT issues, says Ahmad Marzuk
Source: https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ster...ys-ahmad-marzuk

user posted image

KUALA LUMPUR (June 24): Stern and integrated action would be taken as a solution to address the issues of religious insults and the promotion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) lifestyle, especially on social media.

Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs) Datuk Ahmad Marzuk Shaary said the matter was decided at a special meeting of the task force set up to address LGBT-related issues, chaired by him today.

He said the task force would also identify the constraints faced by the authorities in implementing integrated enforcement and propose amendments to the Syariah Criminal Procedure (Federal Territories) Act 1997 (Act 560) and syariah criminal law in all states.

“It is to enable law enforcement agencies to take action against any Muslim who insults Islam and commits other syariah criminal offences using online applications,” he said in a statement today.

Ahmad Marzuk said a comprehensive standard operating procedure would also be formulated to handle complaints about offences related to religious insults and the promotion of the LGBT lifestyle.

Among the agencies involved in the meeting are the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia, the Communications and Multimedia Ministry, Home Ministry, Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, the Attorney-General’s Chambers and the Royal Malaysia Police.

Ahmad Marzuk said the special meeting was held to discuss on the law enforcement against acts of insulting religion through the promotion of the LGBT lifestyle on social media.

“As we all know, June has been declared as the LGBT Pride Month in which LGBT movements around the world including in Malaysia, use it to promote their lifestyle openly either through marches or on social media.

“We found that there are certain quarters who have actively shared and uploaded postings as well as graphics that insult Islam on certain social media platform in their efforts to promote the LGBT lifestyle,” he said.
leftycall9
post Jun 26 2021, 07:28 PM

Casual
397 posts

The month of June is celebrated as Pride month for many overseas. In Malaysia however, LGBTQ+ issues are still considered a taboo. Nonetheless, taboo topics do not mean that the issues do not exist.

A Facebook user recently shared a story about her friend who discovered he was married to a lesbian. Needless to say, the relationship did not end well.

Facebook user Nur Fatihah stated that the story she was sharing was permitted by a fellow student she had met while studying in the Middle East. According to Fatihah, her friend had been studying for his Master’s Degree while working as a part-time Imam at a ‘kariah masjid (parish)’ in Kuala Lumpur. While there, he met a man who was keen to have him as his son in law, and offered his daughter for marriage. The woman was a graduate of a local university who had taken religious studies.

He agreed to the wedding, however, his then fiancé had two conditions. First, she wanted them to live in her family’s house after tying the knot. According to her, it would make their lives easier as the house was already well equipped. Fatihah’s friend agreed as his in-laws urged him to do so. The fiancé second condition was that they would not have sex until she had finished her Master’s. She stated that she was afraid it would disrupt her studies. He agreed to the second condition as well, as it was not long until she would be done with her studies. He also wanted to avoid arguing with her as he figured it would be fine as long as they slept in the same room.

Things started going wrong when his wife finished her studies, but still did not want to have anything to do with him, least of all sex. When he asked her about it, she would give excuses such as, she was still young or would tell him, “Don’t make me complain to my parents.” He prayed hard about the matter, consistently asking God for a sign as to what was wrong with their marriage. He soon found the answer.

user posted image

One day, he needed to borrow her laptop as his was spoiled. He figured it would be fine as he was only going to download a few documents from his email. He intended to delete the documents when he was done, but a few image folders caught his eye. He assumed there was nothing wrong with him looking at her photos; he was her husband after all, but got a nasty shock when he clicked into one. The folder was full of intimate photos and videos of his wife with another woman. He also found screenshots of the two professing their love to one another. The messages were dated from 2019.

Shocked and hurt, he brought the matter to his wife. He couldn’t believe that this was the reason why she had refused to be sexually intimate with him after they got married. It got worse when he discovered his in-laws had known about it as well. According to them, the husband was at fault, saying, “if you as an ustaz cannot guide your wife onto the right path, (you should) be ashamed.” The whole family threatened to ruin his career if the story got out as they were well-known in the community.

user posted image

https://hype.my/2021/235587/religious-mans-...e-is-a-lesbian/

Imo she shouldn't have agreed to the marriage in the first place. Just let the holy moly man find his partner from obedient wives club and be happy ever after. I'm kinda sick of this telenovela style of story where LGBT marrying straight partner because of family arrangements etc etc they won't be happy,so just stop it. Be yourself and follow your own path.

skyblue8
post Jun 28 2021, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...urkish-scholar/

Disapprove of LGBT but don’t oppress, says Turkish scholar

PETALING JAYA: Muslims do not have the right to oppress the beliefs and behaviour of which they disapprove, including those of the LGBT community, says Mustafa Akyol, a prominent Turkish scholar.

Akyol said that although the traditional Islamic view considers homosexual relations “haram”, he believes that not everything that is religiously banned should also be banned by the state.

People were now living in modern states where every citizen has equal rights, and this included the right to live as they see fit unless they harm others, he said.

Akyol, a senior fellow on Islam and modernity at the Cato Institute, a US-based libertarian think tank, was commenting on a Malaysian government plan to widen the scope of existing shariah law to take action against social media users for insulting Islam and “promoting the LGBT lifestyle”.

He told FMT: “Muslims should know that they can disapprove of certain beliefs or behaviours, but this does not give them the right to oppress those beliefs or behaviours.

“Imagine what if some people disapprove Muslim beliefs and behaviours, and try to ‘correct’ them by state power?

“China is doing that against Muslim Uighur, and we rightly condemn this totalitarian oppression.”

Last week, the deputy minister in charge of religious affairs, Ahmad Marzuk Shaary, said certain quarters posted comments and graphics on social media that insulted Islam while promoting the LGBT lifestyle.

LGBT refers to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Akyol said conservative Muslims should take inspiration from a crucial Quranic verse, “to you your religion, to me mine” and apply it to people with different lifestyles.

The LGBT community in Malaysia were not trying to prevent conservative Muslims from practising their religion or living their own traditional style.

“Then why should they not be able to live as who they are, and be honest about it, without harming anyone?”

Akyol, who previously called for compassion when dealing with the LGBT community, also said Islamic authorities should try to understand why some people, in every society, are sexually different from the heterosexual majority.

He said there is a misconception that the LGBT community chose their lifestyle “often as a result of pursuing endless sexual desire”.

Yet most people in the LGBT community say that they were born with their tendencies — in other words, it is a part of their nature, or ‘fitra’.

“So, Islamic authorities should think: If God created certain people with a certain fitra, and if they are living accordingly without harming anyone, why would Islam really condemn them?”

Akyol said with a new reading of religious sources, and Islamic history, he believes one could develop a more tolerant view.

“For example, in the Quran, the people of Lot were condemned for exactly what? Yes, they were homosexuals, but they are also sexual aggressors. Would they not be condemned if they were heterosexual aggressors?”

On the question of insulting Islam, Akyol said Muslims should ask why they were always easily insulted in the modern era.

He contrasted present-day attitudes to “the confident dignity and compassion one finds in the life of Prophet Muhammad and exemplary Muslims of the classical age.”

He believes that deep down there is an insecurity about “our faith, our morals, our values”.

“And this leads to the wrong and often counterproductive reaction of trying to protect them by crude dictates,” he said.
sorbonne
post Yesterday, 12:56 AM

45 posts

52 Pages « < 50 51 52Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0241sec    1.07    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2021 - 11:24 PM