Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My Movie Review Thread V3, Got a movie to review ? post it here !

Veteran director Martin Scorsese recently criticised review aggregator websites for pushing the idea that "every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it." Do reviews online reduce value of cine

Judgement is fast in the social media age and film-makers should get used to it. [ 10 ] ** [35.71%]
Reviewing a movie should be left to experts. [ 4 ] ** [14.29%]
Viewers take their own decisions irrespective of quick reviews. [ 14 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
views

TSCalvin871989
post Apr 20 2019, 12:26 PM, updated 6 months ago

Im Batman
1,229 posts

user posted image

V3 finally after 7-8 years... sweat.gif

This thread is a continuation from My Movie Review Thread V2 : https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1708926

V1 : https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/545132

Please follow format below when posting movie review. Thank you. thumbup.gif

Movie tittle and year

Review

Rating

example,

The Dark Knight (2008)

I love the dark knight movie.

8/10

---

edit poll question : Veteran director Martin Scorsese recently criticised review aggregator websites for pushing the idea that "every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it." Do you think instant reviews online reduce the value of cinema?

This post has been edited by Calvin871989: Apr 20 2019, 12:34 PM
Mov_freak
post Apr 20 2019, 01:23 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

Dumbo (2019)

Cannot remember the last time I watched a Tim Burton movie.

Also cannot remember the last time I watched a Colin Farrell movie.

I cannot believe Disney allowed this movie to be made and I am getting ahead of myself.

Disney is releasing THREE live action movies, based on this animation feature, this, The Lion King and Aladdin... Will wonders never cease.

Back to Dumbo.

The script is wonderful. Note that it is NOT verbatim to the animation feature script and have to add, I much prefer this live action feature script. Hands down. (I still missed the talking rat though... tongue.gif)

There has always be a whimsical element to Tim Burton's films and this movie is very enhanced by this.

Tim Burton is also a very loyal director.

What do I mean?

Just look at the cast, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito and I believe if Michelle Pfiefer is a tad younger, he would have also cast her and here is where I segway to Eva Green.

I have never liked her work. Here, I absolutely love her!!! Just the right tad of.... Eva Green!! laugh.gif

And the C.G.I. Dumbo, all I can say is awwwwwww.....

Going back to the comment of "I cannot believe Disney" above, let's just say Michael Keaton reminds me of Walt Disney. Enuff said... tongue.gif

I give this movie, an 8/10

My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 9 2019, 10:47 PM
skylinelover
post Apr 21 2019, 07:51 AM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
5,606 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Apr 20 2019, 01:23 PM)
Dumbo (2019)

Cannot remember the last time I wants a Tim Burton movie.

Also cannot remember the last time I watched a Colin Farrell movie.

I cannot believe Disney allowed this movie to be made and I am getting ahead of myself.

Disney is releasing THREE live action movies, based on this animation feature, this, The Lion King and Aladdin... Will wonders never cease.

Back to Dumbo.

The script is wonderful. Note that it is NOT verbatim to the animation feature script and have to add, I much prefer this live action feature script. Hands down. (I still missed the talking rat though... tongue.gif)

There has always be a whimsical element to Tim Burton's films and this movie is very enhanced by this.

Tim Burton is also a very loyal director.

What do I mean?

Just look at the cast, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito and I believe if Michelle Pfiefer is a tad younger, he would have also cast her and here is where I segway to Eva Green.

I have never liked her work. Here, I absolutely love her!!! Just the right tad of.... Eva Green!! laugh.gif

And the C.G.I. Dumbo, all I can say is awwwwwww.....

Going back to the comment of "I cannot believe Disney" above, let's just say Michael Keaton reminds me of Walt Disney. Enuff said... tongue.gif

I give this movie, an 8/10

My Two Sen.
Haha looks like only Disney can make remake great again laugh.gif rclxms.gif
lleihuan
post Apr 22 2019, 04:18 PM

Casual
379 posts

Arctic (2019)
Writers -Joe Penna, Ryan Morrison.
Director - Joe Penna
Stars - Mads Mikkelsen, Maria Thelma Smáradóttir

Overgard(Mads Mikkelsen), alone in the
arctic wilderness after a plane crash
some time ago. We learn very little of
character There is no back story or
how the plane crash.

We have seen this survival story many
times before or recently.

This one captures the viewer’s mind. As we
watch him go through his day. Maintaining
a huge SOS sign in the ice, times for
fishing, transmit an electronic beacon via
hand-crank and a pilgrimage to a burial site.
He lost someone there.
He has a wristwatch, informing him every time
he needs to change tasks.

When a helicopter attempts to rescue him goes
down in a wind storm.
The crash kills the pilot and badly wounding
a young woman (Maria Thelma Smaradottir)

Overgard's internal struggle is whether or not
to leave the woman behind.
This is the heart of the film and the source
of its emotional climax.
And we asks whether he is better off
alone or with someone else.

Mikkelsen’s performance is superb even though
he does not speak often.

Attached Image
Mov_freak
post Apr 25 2019, 12:56 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Well, the hottest cinema ticket in town is... THIS!!

How is it?

Good!

I give is an 8/10.

If you are still interest to read on, so be it.

This is a good movie.

This is a BIG movie

Almost every characters that had appeared in any of the previous Marvel movie, appears here.

Mind boggling, I know.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

There is a danger here though.

Anyone who expect that this movie, is going to be action pack from start to finish, will be very disappointed.

The reason?

Character development

Which means, expositions from many a character.

Having said that, anyone who has a problem with Captain Marvel, I can assure you, she is as "MEH" here, as she was in Captain Marvel. laugh.gif

There are a few surprising characters that pop up in this one, that develop their characters more in this movie, and they are very well done.

Yes alot has been made above main characters dropping like flies (Er... they have obliterate half the number of living beings n the last one, right?)

Let me just answer this by saying, 3 main characters have their status permanently changed.

You have been waiting to watch this one.

It really does not matter what I say here.

Just an old fart meandering thoughts/nonsense.

On THAT note, the above is just, My Two Sen.

P.S. there are NO mini slips at the end of end credits.

Please note, NONE.
skylinelover
post Apr 25 2019, 08:48 PM

5,606 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Apr 25 2019, 12:56 AM)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Well, the hottest cinema ticket in town is... THIS!!

How is it?

Good!

I give is an 8/10.

If you are still interest to read on, so be it.

This is a good movie.

This is a BIG movie

Almost every characters that had appeared in any of the previous Marvel movie, appears here.

Mind boggling, I know.

There is a danger here though.

Anyone who expect that this movie, is going to be action pack from start to finish, will be very disappointed.

The reason?

Character development

Which means, expositions from many a character.

Having said that, anyone who has a problem with Captain Marvel, I can assure you, she is as "MEH" here, as she was in Captain Marvel. laugh.gif

There are a few surprising characters that pop up in this one, that develop their characters more in this movie, and they are very well done.

Yes alot has been made above main characters dropping like flies (Er... they have obliterate half the number of living beings n the last one, right?)

Let me just answer this by saying, 3 main characters have their status permanently changed.

You have been waiting to watch this one.

It really does not matter what I say here.

Just an old fart meandering thoughts/nonsense.

On THAT note, the above is just, My Two Sen.

P.S. there are NO mini slips at the end of end credits.

Please note, NONE.
Haha without credits movie just 2 hr 50 only laugh.gif

I watched and it starts at 4.40 and ended 7.30 laugh.gif

This post has been edited by skylinelover: Apr 25 2019, 08:50 PM
Mickey C
post Apr 26 2019, 07:28 PM

On my way
606 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ Apr 25 2019, 08:48 PM)
Haha without credits movie just 2 hr 50 only laugh.gif

I watched and it starts at 4.40 and ended 7.30 laugh.gif
tomorrow i watch endgame, so what is the sound at the end of Avengers: Endgame?.. any clues of that....
skylinelover
post Apr 26 2019, 11:44 PM

5,606 posts

QUOTE(Mickey C @ Apr 26 2019, 07:28 PM)
tomorrow i watch endgame, so what is the sound at the end of Avengers: Endgame?.. any clues of that....
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/avengers-...-/1100-6466420/

On post credit sound laugh.gif rclxms.gif
Mickey C
post Apr 27 2019, 12:32 AM

On my way
606 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ Apr 26 2019, 11:44 PM)
I think I'll wait until the end....
QuickFire
post Apr 27 2019, 01:15 AM

The more you sin the more you win
2,662 posts

Avengers: Endgame

I prefer Infinity War, which I too thought was structured very well, had clear and visible stakes, and an excellent villain. And possibly the best Marvel action set pieces. 

I guess I enjoyed Endgame, but it's a film of three parts that individually never quite succeed -- the first rather downbeat, reflexive hour is quite good and maintains the stakes from IW, but you always know it's a build up to something else...

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but IW was better.

3/5
6so
post May 3 2019, 08:43 AM

Getting Started
120 posts

Fighting with my family - Talent and heart won over the "sport" movie cliche.

Stephen Merchant is the main reason for me to take a chance on this rather heart-warming wrestling dramedy cum autobiography of a supposed WWE star. Initially thought this gonna be a silly comedy but the character arc drama took center stage. I have zero inclination in the world of WWE, couldn't be bother with the Rock is in it. On the other hand Nick Frost and Cersei pretty much enough to keep me watching. Dysfunctional family dynamics provide a steady streams of comedy nugget that mirrors the struggling and triumphant messaging. Given, it's your cliche sport movie genre. MVP is Florence Pugh and Jack Lowden able to sell convincingly as the brother and sister. If this pop up on netflix, no harm taking a look at it or you are a fan of the wrestler she's playing. Florence Pugh could be the next big thing as she does have a charismatic screen presence and can be a feisty firecracker. Next she is to appear on Ari Aster's Midsommar and MCU Black Widow.
skylinelover
post May 3 2019, 07:20 PM

5,606 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 27 2019, 01:15 AM)

I prefer Infinity War, which I too thought was structured very well, had clear and visible stakes, and an excellent villain. And possibly the best Marvel action set pieces. 

I guess I enjoyed Endgame, but it's a film of three parts that individually never quite succeed -- the first rather downbeat, reflexive hour is quite good and maintains the stakes from IW, but you always know it's a build up to something else...

3/5
Awww sad 2 hear your low grading laugh.gif rclxub.gif
ThalaFan
post May 5 2019, 11:25 AM

1 posts

3/5
Rewatched IW 2 days back. It was well-structured & intense from start till end. Like....the film started with distress signal & ended with distress signal as well...it was THAT much well-structured & essentially a villain's tale. Just as Dark Knight (2008) was abt Joker, IW (2018) was all about Thanos and his quest. Kudos to Russo Brothers

Avengers: Endgame was an emotional farewell & fanservice to Marvel's long-time fans. At least it was the way I see it. I'll never understand contrived arguement on how EndGame Thanos was stronger...when he is essentially just same guy. Maybe cuz he had Infinity Blades (no spoilers, it was shown in trailers man). I viewed both IW & Endgame as 2 major story arcs within Avengers series. From Avengers 2012~Age of Ultron~IW~Endgame, its a huge Infinity Saga lol.
:3mushy:3
post May 5 2019, 12:31 PM

<--~(--+<[o]>+--)~-->
4,567 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ May 5 2019, 11:25 AM)
Avengers: Endgame was an emotional farewell & fanservice to Marvel's long-time fans. At least it was the way I see it. I'll never understand contrived arguement on how EndGame Thanos was stronger...when he is essentially just same guy. Maybe cuz he had Infinity Blades (no spoilers, it was shown in trailers man). I viewed both IW & Endgame as 2 major story arcs within Avengers series. From Avengers 2012~Age of Ultron~IW~Endgame, its a huge Infinity Saga lol.
I agree that 2014-Thanos was the same as then-current Thanos, because they were the same person. Then-current Thanos at EG beginning was weakened by snapping the IG twice, and previously the only person who managed to land a scratch on him after all the heroes used their extravagant abilities on Titan was Iron Man. When he arrived in Wakanda and just put on the Mind Stone, he could still be reeling from the effect and thus Thor with Stormbreaker used the opportunity to hurt him.

2014-Thanos had similar strength, but with much more fury and determination to wipe out the Avengers and destroy earth because of what he learned was incurred to his future self, which he said himself this time was personal. We didn't get to see that fury in IW because he was living the moment for the first time.

To me I don't view IW and EG as two separate movies, but a two parter movie.
tonYe
post May 8 2019, 04:34 PM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,391 posts

POKEMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU (2019)

Review:

Rating: 3 / 5

This post has been edited by tonYe: May 8 2019, 04:38 PM
Mov_freak
post May 9 2019, 05:22 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (2019)

Well, shockingly, some scenes from this movie, actually reminds me of... Blade Runner (1982) (the original ones). The night scene in Ryme City...

Back to the story I have only seen Justice Smith in one movie, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) movie... His acting style, compliments this movie

Ryan Reynold's voice for Pikachu, works.

So does his sense of humor.

My one complain is that I am not sure why Ken Watanabe takes on these nothing roles... And I just remembered Chow Yuan Fatt was in Dragonball: Evolution (2009)....

Overall production is actually good

And the movie is enjoyable.

I am speaking from a point of view of a non Pokémon game player, and I found this enjoyable

Are there elements of the game, from a lay person point of view, yes, and have to add it blends into the movie very naturally.

Great family movie

Actually, just great movie to chill with

Does not take itself too seriously

Treat yourself

Go watch this

My Two Sen
tonYe
post May 10 2019, 12:58 AM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,391 posts

BRIGHTBURN (2019)

Review:

Rating: 3 / 5
6so
post May 10 2019, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

The Wandering Earth - The corniest, jingoistic and goofiest movie on Netflix.

This one has the same scientific inaccuracy as Armageddon. Loud and stupid to the max with over the top shenanigans. The only good thing I can say is this movie quite possibly the first legit sci-fi effort ever done by China. The production design and certain cgi on par with hollywood. Watch this to have a good laugh at the ridiculous premise and how it progress...

Yeah they effing "Dragon Ball" the ending. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by 6so: May 10 2019, 02:03 PM
6so
post May 11 2019, 06:58 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

Dogman - Great character actor with modest narrative payoff.

Matteo Garrone, the premier Italian director follow-up since Tale of Tales. A kindhearted weakling succumbed to attraction of a brute bully. The toxic relationship pretty much gonna ends on a miserable note. The script divert our empathy towards Marcello who runs a modest pet grooming store. And yet Simone the town's deplorable gangster bully kept using him as doormat. It slowly simmer into a tale of vengeance.

From storyline viewpoint, it's wishy washy as the payoff doesn't remotely felt cathartic enough. For performance, Marcello Fonte is amazing as the weakling protagonist. His earnest interaction with his surroundings is a joy to watch.

This post has been edited by 6so: May 11 2019, 06:59 PM
Mickey C
post May 12 2019, 04:33 PM

On my way
606 posts

3/5
Me too, I think IW was little bit better... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0761sec    2.03    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th October 2019 - 12:21 AM