Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My Movie Review Thread V3, Got a movie to review ? post it here !

Veteran director Martin Scorsese recently criticised review aggregator websites for pushing the idea that "every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it." Do reviews online reduce value of cine

Judgement is fast in the social media age and film-makers should get used to it. [ 6 ] ** [31.58%]
Reviewing a movie should be left to experts. [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Viewers take their own decisions irrespective of quick reviews. [ 11 ] ** [57.89%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
views

Mov_freak
post Apr 20 2019, 01:23 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

Dumbo (2019)

Cannot remember the last time I watched a Tim Burton movie.

Also cannot remember the last time I watched a Colin Farrell movie.

I cannot believe Disney allowed this movie to be made and I am getting ahead of myself.

Disney is releasing THREE live action movies, based on this animation feature, this, The Lion King and Aladdin... Will wonders never cease.

Back to Dumbo.

The script is wonderful. Note that it is NOT verbatim to the animation feature script and have to add, I much prefer this live action feature script. Hands down. (I still missed the talking rat though... tongue.gif)

There has always be a whimsical element to Tim Burton's films and this movie is very enhanced by this.

Tim Burton is also a very loyal director.

What do I mean?

Just look at the cast, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito and I believe if Michelle Pfiefer is a tad younger, he would have also cast her and here is where I segway to Eva Green.

I have never liked her work. Here, I absolutely love her!!! Just the right tad of.... Eva Green!! laugh.gif

And the C.G.I. Dumbo, all I can say is awwwwwww.....

Going back to the comment of "I cannot believe Disney" above, let's just say Michael Keaton reminds me of Walt Disney. Enuff said... tongue.gif

I give this movie, an 8/10

My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 9 2019, 10:47 PM
Mov_freak
post Apr 25 2019, 12:56 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Well, the hottest cinema ticket in town is... THIS!!

How is it?

Good!

I give is an 8/10.

If you are still interest to read on, so be it.

This is a good movie.

This is a BIG movie

Almost every characters that had appeared in any of the previous Marvel movie, appears here.

Mind boggling, I know.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

There is a danger here though.

Anyone who expect that this movie, is going to be action pack from start to finish, will be very disappointed.

The reason?

Character development

Which means, expositions from many a character.

Having said that, anyone who has a problem with Captain Marvel, I can assure you, she is as "MEH" here, as she was in Captain Marvel. laugh.gif

There are a few surprising characters that pop up in this one, that develop their characters more in this movie, and they are very well done.

Yes alot has been made above main characters dropping like flies (Er... they have obliterate half the number of living beings n the last one, right?)

Let me just answer this by saying, 3 main characters have their status permanently changed.

You have been waiting to watch this one.

It really does not matter what I say here.

Just an old fart meandering thoughts/nonsense.

On THAT note, the above is just, My Two Sen.

P.S. there are NO mini slips at the end of end credits.

Please note, NONE.
Mov_freak
post May 9 2019, 05:22 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (2019)

Well, shockingly, some scenes from this movie, actually reminds me of... Blade Runner (1982) (the original ones). The night scene in Ryme City...

Back to the story I have only seen Justice Smith in one movie, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) movie... His acting style, compliments this movie

Ryan Reynold's voice for Pikachu, works.

So does his sense of humor.

My one complain is that I am not sure why Ken Watanabe takes on these nothing roles... And I just remembered Chow Yuan Fatt was in Dragonball: Evolution (2009)....

Overall production is actually good

And the movie is enjoyable.

I am speaking from a point of view of a non Pokémon game player, and I found this enjoyable

Are there elements of the game, from a lay person point of view, yes, and have to add it blends into the movie very naturally.

Great family movie

Actually, just great movie to chill with

Does not take itself too seriously

Treat yourself

Go watch this

My Two Sen
Mov_freak
post May 15 2019, 12:55 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Just so everyone is on the same page, Parabellum is Latin for be prepared for war.

The movie is aptly named, if you asked me.

Director Chad Stahelski, what can I say about him?

He was a stunt man in The Matirc (1999) and learnt the art of movie story telling from The Wachowski Brothers.

Not only the art of storytelling (which, based on their last few works, the The Wachowski Brothers/Sisters themsleves had forgotten how to...) also the art of movie universe creation.

Which leads me to John Wick.

The first movie is the hardest.

Why?

You had to create the universe, the characters, the rules and whether the general viewing audience to take to your concepts.

Once that is established, in John Wick 2, they had to expended the movie universe.

Most of you know that sequels rarely work.

If you give the audience what they want (more of part one) they will accuse you of pandering to the masses.

If you change things on they, they will yell sacrilege.

So, as I had said, not easy.

You have to find a middle ground and Chad Stahelski found the middle path for the John Wick 1 & 2.

So how did he fare in the third movie?

In a nutshell, good.

The movie universe is expended yet again.

If you like violence in your movie, boy do I have a movie for you.

Most characters from the previous movies return (except for the beagle.... poor puppy)

Everything here works.

The downside is, to make the action bigger, more explosion etc, the action was not "consistent" from the previous movies (I am talking about the fight style of Keanu), until the third act, and the evolution of John Wick fight style returned, and it was... spectacular.

I have to talk a little about Mark Dacascos here.

I believe he is one of the most underrated martial arts action star out there. He has got the moves, just unfortunately, he had not had luck with movie projects and audience.

Based on skill alone, he should have had a much larger audience base... c'est la vie.

So... did I like this

Yes

Will it be the movie to knock Avenger Endgame out of the No 1 pedestal?

We shall see.

Will they make another John Wick?

My concern would be would Keanu be up to it (he is 56 yo... sweat.gif )?

Everybody grows older.... not younger..

On the special note, My Two Sen
Mov_freak
post May 16 2019, 10:47 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Brightburn (2019)

There is an interesting turn of event...

We are getting frighten of kids.

Just look at the recent Twilight Zone's episode The Wunderkind (though an argument can be made, the original Twilight Zone did explore this in Season 3 Episode 8 It's a Good Life.

Alot of minor all over the world has done terrible things, so much so that there is a push to prosecute them as adults...

Superman was first published in 1938.

Idealistically, his creators imagine him as a Super Being from outer space.

He is good, kind and has nothing but good intention for other peoples' well being.

When Steven Spielberg did E.T. (1982), he idealistically imagine a friendly visitor from out space that wants nothing but to call home.

Steven Spielberg has since re-make War Of The Worlds (2005) and had given interviews that he is no longer naive enough to believe that if we received visitors from outer space their intentions would be... good.

Well, at least good from our point of view...

Now to this movie.

It is a what-if we are visited by a space baby

What if this space baby has special powers and his world of origins does not have good intention towards this planet.

What if this space baby grows up and discover that he is sent her to take over this world with his special gifts.

Will nature or nurture prevail.

Basically, imagine the Superman Origins and give it a horror twist.

This movie may have begin as an interesting writing exercise and ended up as a script.

I... like it.

It is a BRUTAL movie and is NOT meant for the faint hearted.

You have been warn kiddies

YOU HAVE BEEN WARN.

My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 17 2019, 09:30 AM
Mov_freak
post May 21 2019, 01:00 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

The Hustle (2019)

As... uncouth-ed as Rebel Wilson is, it is THAT very quality of hers, that the movie producers/directors bank on, to attract audiences to see her movies.

Best known for her role in Pitch Perfect's Fat Amy, she is team-upped here with Anne Hathaway who is the stylish and sophisticated one in the team.

Both of them plays con artists, who prey on men. Reliving them of their... well, money really. They started as enemies and ended up as frienemies.

Just when they are about to kill each other, Thomas comes into their lives.

Critics have been harsh to the movie.

I kind of like it.

They chemistry between Anne and Wilson is pretty good.

The surprising wild card here is Alex Sharp as Thomas Westerburg.

If you want a fun, funny and woman will be woman movie, well, look no further...

3/5 star

My Two Sen
Mov_freak
post May 23 2019, 10:36 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Aladdin (2019)

I missed the first 10 minutes

Darn traffic!!!!

I went to 1Utama, TGV Imax, because I believe, image wise, this would be a spectacle.

And I was correct.

It is breathtaking!!!

Thank you Disney, for NOT whitewashing this!!

Let's introduced the two main leads Mena Massoud (age 27) is Aladdin and he is also all eyes and dimples and Naomi Grace Scott (age 26) does Jasmine justice (Is it me or does she remind anyone else of Sarah Michelle Gellar, I mean a young Sarah Michelle Gellar!!).

If there is any powerful movie producer reading this, please please please make another Prince of Persia and cast Mena Massoud. He will make a GREAT Prince of Persia (if one is to believe he did half the stunts in this movie).

Okay, back to this movie. Okay, I caught the tail-end of Arabian Nights songs, so that would give you an idea of where I made it to the Imax Theatre.

Then the One Jump Ahead song happened, and you are immediately sold on Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Grace Scott as Jasmine.

I was originally concern that Marwan Kenzari as Jafar lack the gravitas of Jonathan Freeman (voice wise). What he lack in term if vocal capabilities, he more than make up for in his actions.

My main concern is the Genie role. How is ANYONE going to replace Robin Williams. I know he only the voiced the role of Genie, but come on, he MADE that role. And if you watch it back he made it enjoyable for the kids and there were alot of hidden jokes for the parents as well (with a nod and wink). Under Guy Ritchie direction, Will Smith did a decent job of the role.

I really don't believe that Mena Massoud was 1yo and Naomi Grace Scott was not even born with the animated feature was first release...

Another observation is that Disney for the pass 10 years, is quietly making this females roles, more independent. And in this, the actually made Jasmine an equal to Aladdin street smarts. Good for you Disney.

I have to say the ending as a little awkward... You will know what I mean when you watch this.

To farther show how diverse this movie it, what better way than to end on a... Bollywood note??? smile.gif

In short, I did enjoy this movie.

There in something for everyone in this family oriented movie.

I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, my two sen.
Mov_freak
post Jun 2 2019, 07:59 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 1 2019, 09:52 PM)
How could you like this? There were scenes in this so bad that it deserves to be flushed out of everyone's memory immediately via a lobotomy. Those long-winded sketch scenes about the fat, mentally challenged second sister? Can't remember watching a scene as bad as there in ages.
hmm.gif

Maybe I am in a weird state of mind at this point in time.

Maybe I had always been in a weird state of mind... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Jun 2 2019, 08:00 PM
Mov_freak
post Jun 4 2019, 09:23 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Honestly... I fell asleep...

I think I fell asleep in the middle of the second act

The story-line is SO convoluted...

Or lack thereof story...

My complain for the first movie (2014) was, Ken Watanabe was in THAT for what?

Well, at least here, he has something to do

The last and inevitable fight between Godzilla and his... nemesis, King Ghidorah was actually worth watching.

And Warner paid homage to the Japaneses culture, by making Godzilla, walking in like a sumo wrestle at the end battle.... laugh.gif

Not sure what else I can add this this...

Oh yes, I can think of something to add. All the leads here at super resistant to radio active.... Can stare straight into nuclear blast and not go blind!!! laugh.gif

My Two Sen

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Jun 4 2019, 07:26 PM
Mov_freak
post Jun 7 2019, 01:17 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Dark Phoenix (2019)

Not sure why the took away the "X-Men" from the title.

Maybe something to do with the purchase of Fox by Disney. Please note that this is only my guessing.

Director Simon Kinberg usually produces movies and I believe this is he first feature film as a director.

And to direct something so complex, I am not sure that is the best idea...

I am getting ahead of myself.

If memory serves, they had done a "Dark Phoenix" saga already in X-Men: The Last Stand (2006).

Not quite sure why they think revisiting it here is necessary...

I have to say, as a "prequel" to the X-Men (2000), it really throws many-a-thing out of loop.

I think Apocalypse started it, and have to add, this really throws a monkey wrench into everything...

I am not sure if it is the script, the editing or something I cannot fathom, James McAvoy's Professor Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender's Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto are so...emotionally unattached to the audience, it is NOT funny.

I am sure they are both professionals to their art, and have to add, one has a feeling they had phoned this one in.

With all the drama, this movie rarely, and I mean RARELY tugs at the audiences' heart string...

So as a "sci-fiction" based movie, alot of the science in this movie makes absolutely NO SENSE.
I still cannot get over how detach the whole ensemble is to their roles and audience... it is flabbergasting...

I really cannot thing of anything else to write...

My Two Sen...
Mov_freak
post Jun 16 2019, 07:28 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon

Men in Black: International (2019)

sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

Not quite sure if Sony is putting alot of faith in this movie to make their shareholder happy (in terms of return).

I hope not, because it is... in a word, terrible.

Since Thor 3, Chris Hemworth thinks himself a jokester and I am not sure I agree.

The first MIB was fun, and this movie... is not.

The main characters are not engaging or have depth.

The big baddie here is not... surprising.

Nothing "new" is introduce

Everything is predictable...

Why do a "sequel"/reboot movie if you have absolutely nothing new is offer to the audience...

Shame on you Steven Spielberq for doing this

Just because you can get Chinese investment into it (based of past success with the MIB branding), does not mean you should do it.

Really shame on you...

My Two Sen...

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1185sec    2.01    9 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th June 2019 - 07:53 PM