Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My Movie Review Thread V3, Got a movie to review ? post it here !

Veteran director Martin Scorsese recently criticised review aggregator websites for pushing the idea that "every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it." Do reviews online reduce value of cine

Judgement is fast in the social media age and film-makers should get used to it. [ 20 ] ** [27.78%]
Reviewing a movie should be left to experts. [ 7 ] ** [9.72%]
Viewers take their own decisions irrespective of quick reviews. [ 45 ] ** [62.50%]
Total Votes: 72
Guests cannot vote 
views

QuickFire
post Apr 27 2019, 01:15 AM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

Avengers: Endgame

I prefer Infinity War, which I too thought was structured very well, had clear and visible stakes, and an excellent villain. And possibly the best Marvel action set pieces. 

I guess I enjoyed Endgame, but it's a film of three parts that individually never quite succeed -- the first rather downbeat, reflexive hour is quite good and maintains the stakes from IW, but you always know it's a build up to something else...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but IW was better.

3/5
QuickFire
post Jun 1 2019, 09:52 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ May 21 2019, 01:00 AM)
The Hustle (2019)

As... uncouth-ed as Rebel Wilson is, it is THAT very quality of hers, that the movie producers/directors bank on, to attract audiences to see her movies.

Best known for her role in Pitch Perfect's Fat Amy, she is team-upped here with Anne Hathaway who is the stylish and sophisticated one in the team.

Both of them plays con artists, who prey on men. Reliving them of their... well, money really. They started as enemies and ended up as frienemies.

Just when they are about to kill each other, Thomas comes into their lives.

Critics have been harsh to the movie.

I kind of like it.

They chemistry between Anne and Wilson is pretty good.

The surprising wild card here is Alex Sharp as Thomas Westerburg.

If you want a fun, funny and woman will be woman movie, well, look no further...

3/5 star

My Two Sen
How could you like this? There were scenes in this so bad that it deserves to be flushed out of everyone's memory immediately via a lobotomy. Those long-winded sketch scenes about the fat, mentally challenged second sister? Can't remember watching a scene as bad as there in ages.
QuickFire
post Aug 19 2019, 12:06 AM

2,865 posts

Parasite.

Glorious from Bong Joon Ho. I enjoyed his last two English-speaking film, but this where he shines. It's all staged and executed so resplendently, so diabolical yet so fun. It's not his best (The Host, Mother, and Memories of Murder vie for that) but nothing else at the cinemas match this at the moment.

4/5

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I love Tarantino movies. All of them. Except Death Proof. I've seen that once ages ago, and recall it as 80 mins of trash talk that wasn't very interesting. It would have been crap were not for the damn good car chase at the end. OUATIH has that beat as his worst movie. Aimless, listless , with a miscast DiCaprio... This was an outright bore. Terrible ending, too, but no more than what came before. It's astounding that Tarantino made this movie. Equally astounding is how critics love it just because it's Tarantino.

1.5/5
QuickFire
post Dec 11 2019, 10:52 AM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(6so @ Dec 6 2019, 12:23 PM)
1917 - The war movie you need to watch on the best screen with the best audio system.

This movie kicks Dunkirk in the balls. It's a close second to the best war movie ever made, Saving Private Ryan. Imagine SPR most intense situation rendered out in a one take "Birdman" uninterrupted camera immersion. At the pivotal scene you felt like you are in the scene because of the real time narrative and you have Uber cinematographer's Roger Deakins exemplary camera works. Once the mission starts you will be gripping the arm rest and you will hold your toilet break until the end of the movie. Do not miss out on this because not much publicity going on but a real knockout.
But also lots of talk that it's just a technical achievement and not a great movie on the whole.

QUOTE(6so @ Dec 6 2019, 04:04 PM)
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Either you like or hate this with a passion.
For me, this is as bad as Death Proof. Not because lacking the Tarantino touch or effort to try something new. It just doesn't come together strongly as I would have like. After 40 minutes, you can't help but wondering where all this will go? The payoff is weak and immediately find the inadequate ending retreading another familiar territory that Brad Pitt did before with QT. Not exactly the same thing but you know this magic trick has been done before. The 70's vibe is spot on and the character did talk a little funny like those 70s corny dialogue. You may be impressed by the extent they went into recreating the 70s but ultimately not a strong movie for my liking.
Yeah, it's a crap movie.

QuickFire
post Dec 20 2019, 02:00 PM

2,865 posts

The Rise of Skywalker.

Miles, MILES inferior to The Last Jedi. Astonishing how flat and pointless this movie is. JJ Abrams continues to prove that he's the world's most competently boring blockbuster director. TFA was unwatchable on my repeat viewing. TLJ, even though it may be uneven, remains immensely rewatchable -- possibly the most rewatchable Star Wars movie ever. The highs in that are spectacular. Rian Johnson actually dared to imbue some craft and originality in that.

Abrams ignores almost everything in TLJ, and what emerges is a retread of ROTJ. When all's said and done, the new trilogy ends on a whimper and is rendered pointless, which is not what I expected when TLJ ended.

QuickFire
post Dec 22 2019, 05:10 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Dec 22 2019, 03:19 PM)
Wow u r the first one I have encountered that gave such high praises to TLJ, especially on that rewatch able point.
TFA had the whole BRAND NEW STAR WARS IN AGES thing going for it, which made the first watch acceptable. But I could not finish watching it a second time. Dreadfully boring.

TLJ was uneven, exciting, fun, with some tremendous sequences. Its not without flaws, but it doesn't rely on nostalgia to make a movie, and nothing in the history of SW is as spectacular as the throne room sequence.

TROS is TFA all over again, except that it closes a saga and thus is doubly disappointing. You could not imagine a more listless and limp way to end a 9-movie saga. The PT at the very least served some form of (self-fulfiling) purpose, but how this newest trilogy ends makes the last three movies pointless. It is the most charmless and witless of all SW movies, and that includes the PT movies.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0519sec    0.43    9 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:13 PM