Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My Movie Review Thread V3, Got a movie to review ? post it here !

Veteran director Martin Scorsese recently criticised review aggregator websites for pushing the idea that "every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it." Do reviews online reduce value of cine

Judgement is fast in the social media age and film-makers should get used to it. [ 10 ] ** [32.26%]
Reviewing a movie should be left to experts. [ 5 ] ** [16.13%]
Viewers take their own decisions irrespective of quick reviews. [ 16 ] ** [51.61%]
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
views

skylinelover
post May 13 2019, 04:24 PM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
5,642 posts

QUOTE(Mickey C @ May 12 2019, 04:33 PM)
Me too, I think IW was little bit better...  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Haha oh well

4 me EG will get oscar nod next laugh.gif laugh.gif
Mov_freak
post May 15 2019, 12:55 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Just so everyone is on the same page, Parabellum is Latin for be prepared for war.

The movie is aptly named, if you asked me.

Director Chad Stahelski, what can I say about him?

He was a stunt man in The Matirc (1999) and learnt the art of movie story telling from The Wachowski Brothers.

Not only the art of storytelling (which, based on their last few works, the The Wachowski Brothers/Sisters themsleves had forgotten how to...) also the art of movie universe creation.

Which leads me to John Wick.

The first movie is the hardest.

Why?

You had to create the universe, the characters, the rules and whether the general viewing audience to take to your concepts.

Once that is established, in John Wick 2, they had to expended the movie universe.

Most of you know that sequels rarely work.

If you give the audience what they want (more of part one) they will accuse you of pandering to the masses.

If you change things on they, they will yell sacrilege.

So, as I had said, not easy.

You have to find a middle ground and Chad Stahelski found the middle path for the John Wick 1 & 2.

So how did he fare in the third movie?

In a nutshell, good.

The movie universe is expended yet again.

If you like violence in your movie, boy do I have a movie for you.

Most characters from the previous movies return (except for the beagle.... poor puppy)

Everything here works.

The downside is, to make the action bigger, more explosion etc, the action was not "consistent" from the previous movies (I am talking about the fight style of Keanu), until the third act, and the evolution of John Wick fight style returned, and it was... spectacular.

I have to talk a little about Mark Dacascos here.

I believe he is one of the most underrated martial arts action star out there. He has got the moves, just unfortunately, he had not had luck with movie projects and audience.

Based on skill alone, he should have had a much larger audience base... c'est la vie.

So... did I like this

Yes

Will it be the movie to knock Avenger Endgame out of the No 1 pedestal?

We shall see.

Will they make another John Wick?

My concern would be would Keanu be up to it (he is 56 yo... sweat.gif )?

Everybody grows older.... not younger..

On the special note, My Two Sen
tonYe
post May 15 2019, 11:10 AM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM (2019)

Review:

Rating: 4.5 / 5
Mickey C
post May 15 2019, 07:55 PM

On my way
608 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 15 2019, 11:10 AM)
JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM (2019)

Review:

Rating: 4.5 / 5
John Wick: Chapter 3 is awesome... non stop fighting scene.... thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
tonYe
post May 15 2019, 09:28 PM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

QUOTE(Mickey C @ May 15 2019, 07:55 PM)
John Wick: Chapter 3 is awesome... non stop fighting scene....  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
Yeah it's awesome! Best trilogy in recent memory for sure
skylinelover
post May 16 2019, 03:52 PM

5,642 posts

Haha best since die hard trilogy

4th one not my cuppa tea

By the way gore still cannot beat the torture scene in mads mikkelsen POLAR

That one when i on with my family around they feel like want 2 switch off my TV and asked why you like violence 4 the past 30 years doh.gif doh.gif
Mov_freak
post May 16 2019, 10:47 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

Brightburn (2019)

There is an interesting turn of event...

We are getting frighten of kids.

Just look at the recent Twilight Zone's episode The Wunderkind (though an argument can be made, the original Twilight Zone did explore this in Season 3 Episode 8 It's a Good Life.

Alot of minor all over the world has done terrible things, so much so that there is a push to prosecute them as adults...

Superman was first published in 1938.

Idealistically, his creators imagine him as a Super Being from outer space.

He is good, kind and has nothing but good intention for other peoples' well being.

When Steven Spielberg did E.T. (1982), he idealistically imagine a friendly visitor from out space that wants nothing but to call home.

Steven Spielberg has since re-make War Of The Worlds (2005) and had given interviews that he is no longer naive enough to believe that if we received visitors from outer space their intentions would be... good.

Well, at least good from our point of view...

Now to this movie.

It is a what-if we are visited by a space baby

What if this space baby has special powers and his world of origins does not have good intention towards this planet.

What if this space baby grows up and discover that he is sent her to take over this world with his special gifts.

Will nature or nurture prevail.

Basically, imagine the Superman Origins and give it a horror twist.

This movie may have begin as an interesting writing exercise and ended up as a script.

I... like it.

It is a BRUTAL movie and is NOT meant for the faint hearted.

You have been warn kiddies

YOU HAVE BEEN WARN.

My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 17 2019, 09:30 AM
Mov_freak
post May 21 2019, 01:00 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

The Hustle (2019)

As... uncouth-ed as Rebel Wilson is, it is THAT very quality of hers, that the movie producers/directors bank on, to attract audiences to see her movies.

Best known for her role in Pitch Perfect's Fat Amy, she is team-upped here with Anne Hathaway who is the stylish and sophisticated one in the team.

Both of them plays con artists, who prey on men. Reliving them of their... well, money really. They started as enemies and ended up as frienemies.

Just when they are about to kill each other, Thomas comes into their lives.

Critics have been harsh to the movie.

I kind of like it.

They chemistry between Anne and Wilson is pretty good.

The surprising wild card here is Alex Sharp as Thomas Westerburg.

If you want a fun, funny and woman will be woman movie, well, look no further...

3/5 star

My Two Sen
lleihuan
post May 23 2019, 09:12 AM

Casual
379 posts

Gloria Bell ( 2019)
Director-Sebastián Lelio
Writer-Sebastián Lelio
Stars-Julianne Moore, John Turturro.

A remake of Lelio's 2013 own Spanish-language
comedy-drama film "Gloria".

Gloria (Julianne Moore) a free-spirited divorcee,
lives alone in a Los Angeles apartment.
A crappy job at a car insurance company just to pays
her bills. She always sings along in her car on the
way to work. Frequently likes to lose herself on the
dance floor. Spends her lonely nights in bars and
looking for guys to dance with.

Her son, Peter (Michael Cera) who has recently become
a father and her daughter, Anne (Caren Pistorius)
whose boyfriend is an extreme surfer.

One night on the singles bar she meets recently divorced
Arnold (John Turturro) an ex-marine who owns a
paintball gun amusement park. He comes at her hard.
She responds, and they soon become a couple.
The two begin a faltering relationship.
Even though he divorced a year ago, remains in thrall
to his ex-wife and demanding daughters.

Julianne Moore gives a brilliant performance.

It is a film about a woman too young to give up
and too old to start over.

Attached Image
tonYe
post May 23 2019, 11:29 AM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

ALADDIN (2019)

Review:

Rating: 2 / 5

This post has been edited by tonYe: May 23 2019, 11:29 AM
skylinelover
post May 23 2019, 05:07 PM

5,642 posts

Haha disney quick cash out sucks yoh doh.gif doh.gif

This post has been edited by skylinelover: May 23 2019, 05:08 PM
tonYe
post May 23 2019, 08:00 PM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ May 23 2019, 05:07 PM)
Haha disney quick cash out sucks yoh doh.gif doh.gif
Yeah. Wrong director and cast. Probably shouldn't even try to remake it at all. Instead, just do a whole new version. But yeah, cash-grab.
Mov_freak
post May 23 2019, 10:36 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

Aladdin (2019)

I missed the first 10 minutes

Darn traffic!!!!

I went to 1Utama, TGV Imax, because I believe, image wise, this would be a spectacle.

And I was correct.

It is breathtaking!!!

Thank you Disney, for NOT whitewashing this!!

Let's introduced the two main leads Mena Massoud (age 27) is Aladdin and he is also all eyes and dimples and Naomi Grace Scott (age 26) does Jasmine justice (Is it me or does she remind anyone else of Sarah Michelle Gellar, I mean a young Sarah Michelle Gellar!!).

If there is any powerful movie producer reading this, please please please make another Prince of Persia and cast Mena Massoud. He will make a GREAT Prince of Persia (if one is to believe he did half the stunts in this movie).

Okay, back to this movie. Okay, I caught the tail-end of Arabian Nights songs, so that would give you an idea of where I made it to the Imax Theatre.

Then the One Jump Ahead song happened, and you are immediately sold on Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Grace Scott as Jasmine.

I was originally concern that Marwan Kenzari as Jafar lack the gravitas of Jonathan Freeman (voice wise). What he lack in term if vocal capabilities, he more than make up for in his actions.

My main concern is the Genie role. How is ANYONE going to replace Robin Williams. I know he only the voiced the role of Genie, but come on, he MADE that role. And if you watch it back he made it enjoyable for the kids and there were alot of hidden jokes for the parents as well (with a nod and wink). Under Guy Ritchie direction, Will Smith did a decent job of the role.

I really don't believe that Mena Massoud was 1yo and Naomi Grace Scott was not even born with the animated feature was first release...

Another observation is that Disney for the pass 10 years, is quietly making this females roles, more independent. And in this, the actually made Jasmine an equal to Aladdin street smarts. Good for you Disney.

I have to say the ending as a little awkward... You will know what I mean when you watch this.

To farther show how diverse this movie it, what better way than to end on a... Bollywood note??? smile.gif

In short, I did enjoy this movie.

There in something for everyone in this family oriented movie.

I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, my two sen.
tonYe
post May 29 2019, 06:44 AM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019)

Review:

Rating: 3.5 / 5

SPOILER TALK:

This post has been edited by tonYe: Jun 2 2019, 01:01 PM
darkslatemedia P
post Jun 1 2019, 04:34 AM

Probation
0 posts

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Despite the Ratings, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” Is A Glorious Spectacle of the Titans That Completely Delivers

The gods have listened and the Titans are here. Since it’s announcement back in July 2018, we have been anxiously waiting for the sequel to this Kaiju-filled battle to hit the big screens and as of this week, the Titans are finally free. Godzilla: King of the Monsters sits on its rightful throne dominating the box office grossing over $50 million and will most like reign supreme by the end of the weekend. Directed by Michael Dougherty, whose previous works include Trick R’ Treat and Krampus; the movie is an epic clash between the monsters with a “save the Earth” PSA thrown in there.

THE PROS
Godzilla: King of the Monsters stars Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and making her feature film debut, Millie Bobby Brown. Last week, we posted an article about what we wanted to see from this new Godzilla movie and in case you missed it, you can check that out here. Based on our expectations, I’m pretty happy to announce that the film does indeed deliver. King of the Monsters is a rare feat in mainstream franchise films where the studios actually listened to its fans. The film is an absolute love letter to the kids at heart that grew up with these kaiju titans and works in service of the fans. There are shots of these massive beasts that look oh-so majestic that would make for an impressive wallpaper collection. And that is a testament to the incredible work that this film has done to give us an experience unlike any other.

The film boasts a masterful sound design by having it open up with Godzilla’s thunderous roar that literally shakes the entire auditorium. These sounds don’t only stop there as throughout it’s runtime, the film constantly reminds us of it’s impressive work — and it most certainly deserves props for that. Unlike it’s predecessor, King of the Monsters puts the titans on full display from the get-go making them have a lot more screen time compared to 2014’s Godzilla. This gave the film a chance to further explore Godzilla’s mythos and expand on his backstory, though not in complete detail, we definitely appreciate the acknowledgement.

Because this film is directed by a filmmaker with a horror background, there are a lot of scenes present within it where you see Dougherty exercising that muscle. The first scene when we’re introduced to the King felt like something straight out of a Jaws film filled with jump scares and rising tension. Generously sprinkled throughout the movie, these cheap but effective scares work in a film like this as there’s really no way to hide these enormous creatures. Apart from the monsters, the human actors were great in this film, Ken Watanabe is particular was brilliant. His performance in King of the Monsters was a vast improvement from the first film as here, Watanabe does indeed get more screen time as opposed from the previous one. And even in this film, he still has the coolest lines.

THE CONS
However like a lot of movies these days, Godzilla: King of the Monsters isn’t perfect. The film does suffer with a few problems that we’re going to have to address — most of it, is in it’s writing. King of the Monsters presented itself as the definitive monster showdown and in all fairness, it does give you that and sadly, only that. The film features 3 new monsters battling with Godzilla and they weren’t properly developed. We see Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in a scene by scene introduction and suddenly, they’re fighting for dominance. Writing them off to be mere animals then introducing a new mythology that would later regard them as gods don’t really cut it when the film doesn’t show us anything that would make them these original dominant species as it wants us to believe. It would have been great if the film gave us a little backstory to each monster during the introductions so we would understand the motive behind each titan, they’re strengths and weaknesses and so on. This film gives you none of that and when it tries, it essentially breezes through it making it feel as if they were making it up as they go.

The story involving the human characters in this film were also rather convenient. Characters in this film seem to do things that would otherwise be really dumb and the movie just goes with it. This would’ve been fine if the film didn’t centre the entire movie around the humans but they did. There’s also a scene in this film where one of the main characters betrays the team and joins the antagonist’s side to “restore balance” while not being entirely sure if that was even possible. Admittedly this plot is what drive the entire film but one must stop to think for a moment that for someone that is as smart as the person in context, wouldn’t you NOT be doing this? Besides that, the film does feature comic reliefs that overstay their welcome. These characters were literally put into the movie just to blurt random jokes in a scene that one would think twice to even open their mouths. These moments happen quite a bit in the film and does take you out of what would have otherwise been a pretty intense experience.

The final showdown between Godzilla and the titans were dragged on for too long that it was reminiscent of the Transformers movies directed by Michael Bay. The fight scenes were unimaginative, bland and overall just sloppily done. While entertaining for what it’s worth, a majority of the titan battles in this film were essentially style over substance. Plus, the unnecessary use of shaky cam added in digitally did not make the experience any more enjoyable. It would’ve been awesome if the film gave us wide shots of these fight scenes as that at least would’ve made it a little better but given the realistic tone that the film has, I can understand why they did what they did. Either that or they probably ran out of budget.

FINAL VERDICT
Overall, I think Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a great popcorn flick that I recommend you check out at a cinema to witness this incredible spectacle. The film is a celebration of the monsters and one you definitely would not want to miss out on. The movie is a one of a kind fan-drive film that speaks to the people that grew up with these beasts. With this film’s conclusion, we get a glimpse of Skull Island and only hypes us up for the next big showdown in 2020 that is Kong vs. Godzilla.

Rating: 6/10
darkslatemedia P
post Jun 1 2019, 04:36 AM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 23 2019, 11:29 AM)
ALADDIN (2019)

Review:

Rating: 2 / 5
Hey, just checked out your review and really liked it! Subbed as well!
tonYe
post Jun 1 2019, 09:26 AM

ColourlessOpinions.com
1,397 posts

QUOTE(darkslatemedia @ Jun 1 2019, 04:36 AM)
Hey, just checked out your review and really liked it! Subbed as well!
Hey bro! Thanks so much! biggrin.gif
Really appreciate it!
QuickFire
post Jun 1 2019, 09:52 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,663 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ May 21 2019, 01:00 AM)
The Hustle (2019)

As... uncouth-ed as Rebel Wilson is, it is THAT very quality of hers, that the movie producers/directors bank on, to attract audiences to see her movies.

Best known for her role in Pitch Perfect's Fat Amy, she is team-upped here with Anne Hathaway who is the stylish and sophisticated one in the team.

Both of them plays con artists, who prey on men. Reliving them of their... well, money really. They started as enemies and ended up as frienemies.

Just when they are about to kill each other, Thomas comes into their lives.

Critics have been harsh to the movie.

I kind of like it.

They chemistry between Anne and Wilson is pretty good.

The surprising wild card here is Alex Sharp as Thomas Westerburg.

If you want a fun, funny and woman will be woman movie, well, look no further...

3/5 star

My Two Sen
How could you like this? There were scenes in this so bad that it deserves to be flushed out of everyone's memory immediately via a lobotomy. Those long-winded sketch scenes about the fat, mentally challenged second sister? Can't remember watching a scene as bad as there in ages.
Mov_freak
post Jun 2 2019, 07:59 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,686 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Jun 1 2019, 09:52 PM)
How could you like this? There were scenes in this so bad that it deserves to be flushed out of everyone's memory immediately via a lobotomy. Those long-winded sketch scenes about the fat, mentally challenged second sister? Can't remember watching a scene as bad as there in ages.
hmm.gif

Maybe I am in a weird state of mind at this point in time.

Maybe I had always been in a weird state of mind... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Jun 2 2019, 08:00 PM
6so
post Jun 3 2019, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

The Perfection - The most WTF movie you can watch now on Netflix.

Okay, if you want to melt your brain and curse like a sailor at your TV....this is the perfect movie for you. It harkens back to the early career of Takashi Miike or Sono Sion of bat-shit crazy storytelling. Essentially it's a three mini movies roll into one, first act is a jealousy cum horror bits, then the big twist drop midway to reset what you have just watched as a reasonable explanation to what the hell is going on. Then another twist in the final act where you just lose your shit at what you are watching. For better or worse it's a minimum one time watch for the outrageous plotline.

This post has been edited by 6so: Jun 3 2019, 02:58 PM

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0892sec    3.99    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 01:59 PM