Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LYN Dashcam Discussion V2 | Dashcam Talk Malaysia, Everything related to dashcam!

views

abubin
post May 11 2022, 03:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(shaniandras2787 @ May 11 2022, 02:12 PM)
hi guys,

need some opinion/advise.

about to hit the "buy" button for the 70mai M300 dashcam because i read from a lot of reviews that gave this a commendable review for its price and plus, it's marketed by a reputable company. i understand that the only downside to 70mai is that the dashcam uses Lithium Polymer instead of the more desirable Super-capacitator so exposing it under long hours of sunlight may not be recommended.

my car is parked under shade (front porch in my home and basement parking in my work place).

are Super-capacitators really that far superior compared to Lithium Polymers?

Should i avoid Lithium Polymers like a plague or it is actually usable?
It should be fine if you always park under shade. Supercaps can last 10c higher than lithium batteries. Supercap is not perfect either. So if the car is super hot, it will still get damaged. Also for brands like 70mai, I believe they also sell replacement batteries which can be swapped quite easily.

Addon: supercaps also have issue storing the power for long time. It's power will discharged faster than lithium. Which means it's won't work long under parking mode. That is why ddpai's parking mode now they must have hardwire kit in order to work.

Here is how parking mode in DDPAI mini3 works for those interested:
How mini3's parking monitor works:
1), When car engine is on, the camera will start to record normally based on 30FPS;
2), When car engine is off, the hardwire will detect the voltage change and then the camera changes to parking mode 1FPS time lapse recording immediately;
3), When car battery voltage lower than 12.4V or 12V or 11.8V ( you could choose in APP ), then the hardwire will cut off power automatically;
4), The defaulted maximum time of parking monitor is 24 hours, i.e. no matter if the voltage of car battery lower than the set voltage or not, the hardwire kit will cut off power automatically;

This post has been edited by abubin: May 11 2022, 03:36 PM
abubin
post May 11 2022, 05:37 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ May 11 2022, 05:01 PM)
Supercapacitor are meant to have enough charge to store the last video file and the settings when power gets cut off. It is not an issue, that is how supercapacitor works.

Really? My experience with supercapacitor is, the settings won't last as long as li-ion. After like a day of parking, there will not be enough power to even retain the settings of the dashcam. Maybe I was using lousy brand. It would be good if the supercaps in ddpai can last longer so that I don't need to keep re-doing the settings for the car that I seldom drive.

This post has been edited by abubin: May 11 2022, 05:38 PM
abubin
post May 11 2022, 06:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ May 11 2022, 06:11 PM)
I try before last time, 3 weeks without charge when traveling overseas and no issues when I came back.

As long as using a good quality supercapacitor should be fine. Unless you are very unlucky and got a faulty unit.
Thank you for the information. Will definitely test out the Z40 supercaps once I receive it. Cheers! rclxm9.gif
abubin
post May 11 2022, 06:57 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(andyng38 @ May 11 2022, 06:47 PM)
A supercapacitor dashcam uses an RTC (Real Time Clock) battery to preserve the time, date and settings of the dashcam. This is similar to the CMOS battery on the motherboard of a computer. Such batteries are rechargeable. If your dashcam keeps losing the settings, you may either need to update the firmware, or you have a faulty RTC battery.
Is it possible that cheap dashcams don't have RTC battery?
abubin
post May 20 2022, 05:08 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

user posted image

This is the discharge diagram of lead acid battery and lifepo4. Should not let the battery discharge to lower than 11v. Depending on cars and battery health, sometimes min voltage need to be higher.

That is why getting a good hardwire kit is important as it will cut off the power if voltage is at certain threshold. So that it's doesn't drain your battery until you cannot start the car.

abubin
post May 25 2022, 06:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(Lancer07 @ May 25 2022, 05:45 PM)
RM399 ( rear camera +GPS)
oh wow..this is good deal. Too bad I bought already! Dang it.
abubin
post May 26 2022, 01:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(zainalazzan @ May 26 2022, 01:24 PM)
What are everyone’s thoughts on the new Mola N3 Pro?
Seems to be a good alternative for budget below RM500.
I’ve narrowed down some Pros and Cons. Do let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Pros:
- Supercapacitor
- Overwrites old data over time so no need to keep deleting (loop)
- Shows speed stamp & location (GPS)
- Can hardwire for parking surveillance at affordable price

Cons:
- No screen
- No ADAS
- Not so user friendly app based on reviews
- 2k recording compared to the rest (3k for Z40)
- Lousy night vision

My car is parked under the sun most of the time. I’ve got a tint but my dashboard still gets crazy hot everyday, which is why I’ve decided to go against 70mai as they only use lithium batteries. I’ve read that 2k recording is decent enough and you don’t actually need 4k. Is it absolutely essential to have a screen on your dashcam? I also plan to hardwire for parking surveillance and I quite like that it has the time-lapse feature instead of having to get knocked before recording (like 70mai).

I’m considering this over Z40 purely because of price as the Z40+GPS+rear+hardwire combo is just way over RM500.
When I was buying, I also narrowed down to Mola N3 and Z40. Decided to go with Z40 because of the screen. I had to sacrifice GPS for Z40 because of my budget. I also plan to set only recording to 2k to reduce the storage usage.

Since there is a promo of RM399 for the Z40+rear+gps, go for it. The hardwire kit is around 49. So end up below your RM500 budget.
abubin
post Jun 28 2022, 02:52 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Jun 28 2022, 02:13 PM)
I am finally shortlisted this few model from ddpai for dash-cam combo.

[attachmentid=11188928]

Of all, I am keen on Mola N3 Pro over other models as I usually will drive on quiet road on weekend and just wanted to have HOD view of my drive.

But I not sure how does reality looks like, does it look like one of random gimmicks or I am better off get the proper dashcam.

Also, Does 1600P image will be sufficient?

Would be open for other suggestion with budget of 1K
Mola N3 pro is sufficient if you just want the dashcam to record accidents. It can see plates good enough. Also get the hardwire kit for parking mode recording.

Save the money and but other things like bigger SD card 128gb or 256gb.
abubin
post Jul 7 2022, 01:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(genjo @ Jul 7 2022, 12:06 PM)
guys i have rm 350 , which cam i can get ?
What's your requirement? Do you need rear cam? Do you need screen? Capacitor or li-ion battery?

My suggestion is ddpai mola is you don't need screen. Cause sacrificing the screen, you get higher spec. If you need screen then ddpai z40. Both are good quality at it's price point.
abubin
post Jul 8 2022, 05:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(genjo @ Jul 7 2022, 01:08 PM)
i heard capacitor is better.

rear cam come together or buy seperately ?
Yes, capacitor can handle malaysia sun better. If your car always parked indoor then battery is good enough for you.

As for getting rear dash, some sells it in one set, some sell separately..up to you to buy.

abubin
post Jul 13 2022, 06:14 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,389 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jul 9 2022, 06:46 PM)
Get a Korean dashcam like Thinkware, Blackvue or FineVu as it has buffered parking mode. So that it will record 10s before and 10s after any motion or impact detected. Not those recording non-stop timelapse parking mode or just start recording when impact is detected dashcams.
Interesting. How does dashcam record 10s before an impact/motion happen? It's always saving into the buffer?

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th September 2022 - 05:28 PM