Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

78 Pages « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LYN Dashcam Discussion V2 | Dashcam Talk Malaysia, Everything related to dashcam!

views

TSblurjoey
post May 10 2022, 01:34 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ May 10 2022, 12:00 PM)
I agree. 4k is overkill. However, if you have the $$$ then go ahead, it's always better to have higher resolution.

Even if you view the 4k video on a 2k display, it will still be better quality than 2k video. Then again, the video quality to see things like number plates is not only dictated by video resolution alone. The quality of the lens and sensor also play a very important role in it.

That means I would rather go for good quality carl zeiss lens and sony imx sensor with 1k video compared to another camera that can take 4k video but uses some unknown lens and sensor.
Don't think there is any dashcam using Carl Zeiss lens sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif Sony IMX sensor got.

Also, night video will depend on the condition of the environment also while driving. Not just the lens and sensors.
TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 04:54 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(John Chaser @ May 11 2022, 12:13 PM)
Recently did a survey for dashcam at a local store. Shopkeeper recommended Gnet N2 dashcam but I noticed the price is close to 2x of 70mai A800s and on top of that it's only 1080p front and back. I tried skimming this thread for previous Gnet enteries and most are saying it's a Chinese OEM model distributed by a Korean company.

The price he's offering with installation is RM1200(dashcam set is rm1099) with 1 year warranty.
I'm thinking of just picking up the A800s front/rear combo with hardwire kit from Shopee and telling him to install(rm180 for installation).
GNet OEMs to iRoad. They are Korean brand that is made in China factory. So what issues they have on iRoad will be the same on GNet.
TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 04:56 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(shaniandras2787 @ May 11 2022, 02:12 PM)
hi guys,

need some opinion/advise.

about to hit the "buy" button for the 70mai M300 dashcam because i read from a lot of reviews that gave this a commendable review for its price and plus, it's marketed by a reputable company. i understand that the only downside to 70mai is that the dashcam uses Lithium Polymer instead of the more desirable Super-capacitator so exposing it under long hours of sunlight may not be recommended.

my car is parked under shade (front porch in my home and basement parking in my work place).

are Super-capacitators really that far superior compared to Lithium Polymers?

Should i avoid Lithium Polymers like a plague or it is actually usable?
The supercapacitor is more durable to heat than lithium-ion batteries. Nothing superior. Both will spoil also but supercapacitor will last longer.
TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 05:01 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ May 11 2022, 03:28 PM)
It should be fine if you always park under shade. Supercaps can last 10c higher than lithium batteries. Supercap is not perfect either. So if the car is super hot, it will still get damaged. Also for brands like 70mai, I believe they also sell replacement batteries which can be swapped quite easily.

Addon: supercaps also have issue storing the power for long time. It's power will discharged faster than lithium. Which means it's won't work long under parking mode. That is why ddpai's parking mode now they must have hardwire kit in order to work.

Here is how parking mode in DDPAI mini3 works for those interested:
How mini3's parking monitor works:
1), When car engine is on, the camera will start to record normally based on 30FPS;
2), When car engine is off, the hardwire will detect the voltage change and then the camera changes to parking mode 1FPS time lapse recording immediately;
3), When car battery voltage lower than 12.4V or 12V or 11.8V ( you could choose in APP ), then the hardwire will cut off power automatically;
4), The defaulted maximum time of parking monitor is 24 hours, i.e. no matter if the voltage of car battery lower than the set voltage or not, the hardwire kit will cut off power automatically;
Supercapacitor are meant to have enough charge to store the last video file and the settings when power gets cut off. It is not an issue, that is how supercapacitor works.

Last time 70mai could use their lithium-ion battery for a temporary parking mode which can record about 5-10 events but now with the latest firmware, you'll need to use a hardwire kit to use the parking mode.

How long the parking mode last will also depend on your car battery health. A newer car battery will last longer.

Another way is to get a dashcam powerpack which can use for about 20+ hours per charge.

This post has been edited by blurjoey: May 11 2022, 05:06 PM
TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 05:04 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(shaniandras2787 @ May 11 2022, 03:51 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thanks for the reply!

If that's the case, i'll go ahead and buy the 70mai instead.

I don't actually need a dashcam that is packed with features, just a 3rd "independent" eye in case any unfortunate events were to happen.
If you don't want to change the lithium-ion battery after a year or more, get DDPAI as it is using a supercapacitor.

But if you need parking mode then later on can change to a hardwire kit for parking mode.

70mai parking mode is kena bang then starts recording.
TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 06:11 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ May 11 2022, 05:37 PM)
Really? My experience with supercapacitor is, the settings won't last as long as li-ion. After like a day of parking, there will not be enough power to even retain the settings of the dashcam. Maybe I was using lousy brand. It would be good if the supercaps in ddpai can last longer so that I don't need to keep re-doing the settings for the car that I seldom drive.
I try before last time, 3 weeks without charge when traveling overseas and no issues when I came back.

As long as using a good quality supercapacitor should be fine. Unless you are very unlucky and got a faulty unit.

TSblurjoey
post May 11 2022, 08:43 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(andyng38 @ May 11 2022, 07:18 PM)
Google how long a supercapacitor can hold a charge, and you'll understand why there has to be an RTC battery present in the dashcam.
I forgot about the RTC hahahaha...

RTC can save for about 3-4 years without change...
TSblurjoey
post May 18 2022, 04:13 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(Optizorb @ May 18 2022, 03:50 PM)
i turned off emergency recording already.. even set at the lowest sensitivity, langgar pothole also can trigger it.. very annoying..

but my microsd is 64gb la, so got way more room before any important footages gets overwritten..
This is defeating the purpose of using a dashcam sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

You need the emergency recording for a reason.

Just set the sensitivity to the lowest should be ok.

If you really want to have more recording then get a bigger microSD card like a 128GB which is about 20+- hours of videos.

But usually, 64GB is more than enough as a dashcam is more for recording emergency incidents not keeping more videos from getting overwritten (loop recording).

I got a 128GB in my U1000 (4K & 2K dashcam), I usually press the emergency recording button if I want to keep a certain interesting video.
TSblurjoey
post May 18 2022, 04:38 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(Optizorb @ May 18 2022, 04:28 PM)
Already tried lowest, no use still gets triggered time to time..

I dont mind to manually retrive from dashcam after incident.. i mean thats what everyone would do anyway right.. plus with 64gb card it would take about one day of revording before it gets overwritten.. dont tell me you get into accident u dont straight take it out and make police report? And keep >24hrs..? Do that also can kena saman right if >24hrs report..
i guess i confident in myself to not be forgetful bout these stuffs?

so i dont find the emergency record feature a must? And if anything theres still the manual emergency record video button
64GB can store about 10+- hours of videos only for both front and rear which means about 5+- hours each for front and rear cams. Not 1 day of recording for both cams laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyway better to be safe with the emergency recording than sorry later when the video gets overwritten. Good luck laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
TSblurjoey
post May 19 2022, 08:40 AM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(dp82 @ May 18 2022, 11:18 PM)
Actually what is the purpose of this emergency recording? N i noticed each of the recordings are 10sec only.

I set the sensitivity & sound to low. But occasionally it gets triggered even going thru bump
Imagine you got into an accident, the g-sensor will trigger and save that 10-30 sec video into the emergency folder. Most important is what happened between that 10-30 secs in the video.

Now without the emergency recording turned on, you'll be only saving that 1 min or 3 mins files. Now imagine a big crash happened and IF something happened to the dashcam also. And it didn't managed to save that last 1 or 3 mins files.

Anyway, anything can happen during an accident, some might have great memory to quickly download the video after the accident and some might not or get KO.

QUOTE(LeongFW @ May 19 2022, 01:17 AM)
Hi, i thinking to buy A500s and z40.
I see a lot comments on the capacitor durability, however is that a500s battery can change? If that case 70 mai more worth ?
Thanks
Yes, the 70mai battery is replaceable as there are many sellers on Shopee and Lazada selling replacement batteries.

But you have to DIY to replace the battery yourself.

Worth or not is up to you.
TSblurjoey
post May 20 2022, 11:26 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(dino89 @ May 20 2022, 02:32 PM)
Waiting for my sample unit to arrive sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

Also the A119v3 replacement is here also: https://viofo.com/en/dash-cam/263-878-viofo...e-a119_mini_gps

This post has been edited by blurjoey: May 20 2022, 11:28 PM
TSblurjoey
post May 21 2022, 04:04 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ May 21 2022, 02:30 PM)
I have removed the mount from my windscreen which I did not use the extra layer.

Can tear the tape so it wont pull/damage your tint...BUT the problem is removing the leftover gunk on tint COULD easily cause damage to the tint. Ask me how I know, but its so tiny, less than 0.20 size, i just ignore & the cam is mounted there anyway. No need so anal about it.
Just use some isopropyl alcohol or googone to wipe clean can d
TSblurjoey
post May 21 2022, 06:50 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(KeyMochi @ May 21 2022, 05:34 PM)
Halo @blurjoey if I buy Thinkware T700 from SG then pasang in my car back in KL, for the 4G need to use the included sim card or can use local one?
If you can pay the expensive data roaming fees from SG telco sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

Best to get a local sim but I recommend getting the T700 from the Malaysia distributor as any issues are used in Malaysia. Singapore won't be able to solve it.
TSblurjoey
post May 21 2022, 09:03 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(KeyMochi @ May 21 2022, 08:49 PM)
I see. Around KL/Selangor which shop distribute officially? Maybe can ask my bro to check it out
Sicurez in Sunway
TSblurjoey
post May 23 2022, 09:02 AM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(Keatsan @ May 22 2022, 08:47 PM)
I hope they improve the WiFi transfer speed and the parking mode recording firmware overall. Other than that, viofo reliability and functions are all good.
Hope so. If they can perfect their parking mode like Thinkware then the Korean dashcams will have a hard time d...
TSblurjoey
post May 26 2022, 04:47 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ May 26 2022, 03:40 PM)
Upon further research I have found the following model that was around within my budget

DDPAI X2s fron and Rea
70Mai M500
Viofo A129 Plus Duo
Viofo A139

Not sure which one would be the best of the lot, too many choice and I not sure which one to go it.

Please advise icon_question.gif
Viofo A229 coming to replace the A129 Plus Duo with 2K front and rear cameras.
TSblurjoey
post May 26 2022, 05:17 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ May 26 2022, 05:12 PM)
By any chance if you know when they will come to malaysia?
Now it's on pre-order on Viofo website.

Grey sellers should be selling it soon.
TSblurjoey
post May 26 2022, 09:07 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(Keatsan @ May 26 2022, 06:10 PM)
Price wise hitting 1k already sweat.gif
They aim angmo market ma...
TSblurjoey
post May 27 2022, 01:51 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(josh5671 @ May 27 2022, 01:25 PM)
Bigger storage = the longger you can check back in time.
So depend what you need.
The resolution wise, i am not impose 4k useless.
Just the high resolution not realistic on budget dashcam.
Because if it just FHD and interlacing to 2K. Why not just ysing FHD saving on storage, sometime better clarity too.
Unless you go something like thinkware u1000, its 4k no joke the best for the time we talk.
Also, have to check on the bitrates and compression used. U1000 videos use lower bitrate and H.265 encoding.

Viofo can change from low to maximum bitrate for its videos.
TSblurjoey
post May 31 2022, 09:20 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(artman @ May 31 2022, 11:51 AM)
Hi Sifu,

I’m using 70mai S500s dashcam and just replaced my old 32gb to a new 128gb SD card.
I tried to reformat the old 32gb via Mac or Android phone but it failed. (Maybe the video inside the sd card is protected)

Any idea how to force reformat it?
Can try using this app and see

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Also got for Mac

78 Pages « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0231sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:17 AM