Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1027 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Investment StashAway Malaysia, Multi-Region ETF at your fingertips!

views

TS[Ancient]-XinG-
post Mar 11 2019, 01:01 PM, updated 2d ago

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

user posted image

StashAway is an online investment management company headquartered in Singapore. The company was founded in Singapore in 2016 and was the first robo-advisor to obtain a full capital-markets services license (CMS) from the Monetary Authority of Singapore. It uses economic-regime based asset allocation techniques to reduce risk for retail investors.

StashAway Official Site

user posted image

Investing should be straightforward
Investing should be personal
Investing should be intelligent
Investing should be cost-effective
Investing should be secure

user posted image

Features

It’s time you don’t lose sleep when the markets are down

Our investment framework maintains your preferred risk level no matter what happens in the markets.
How? Economic data indicate when a new economic regime (think: recession) starts. When that happens, we’ll protect your assets by adjusting your portfolio to the upcoming economic regime, which usually lasts several years, not several hours or days.
This way, you’re prepared for new economic conditions before market conditions even change.

Portfolios specifically designed to help you achieve that dream
Want to retire early? Want to start a business? Want to do both? You can have as many portfolios as you want.
And we’ll build you a realistic investment plan that gets you there.

Flexible deposit and withdrawal options

Invest when you want
Transfer any investment amount into your portfolios whenever you’d like. You can also set up standing instructions. Or, do both!
Withdraw when you want
You can withdraw some or all of your investments at anytime free of charge. Learn how unlimited free withdrawals work.
RM0 Minimum Balance
Start investing with RM0 minimum balance, and no minimum deposit amount for subsequent deposits.

user posted image

Fees

user posted image
user posted image

Media Coverage
The Edge Malaysia
The Star
The Star
The Star
BFM 89.9
BFM 89.9

Reviews
Seedly SG

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Nov 12 2022, 11:03 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-
post Mar 11 2019, 01:04 PM

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

LETS user posted image

StashAway Malaysia (SAMY) just landed on Nov 2018. Many of us here are the first batch in the waiting list and we had a long discussion along the way up to now, the V2 thread, with better and refined information with real life experiences.

Kindly read Post #3 to post #7 carefully, that's all the doubt we had and answers we got. Tax, fees, promotions, IBG instruction, we got you covered.

Of course, credits to those who contributed a lot namely
honsiong
Krv23490
preducer
ViktorJ
tadashi987
SwarmTroll
nickcct
woonsc
Gabriel03
pinan
l4nc3k
daifeigo
alexkos

Some I may miss but I hope more and more people will join SAMY and let the robos become more intelligent haha!!

The latest debate was about 30% WHT as compared to DIY buying SP500 ALONE. It was end up pretty nicely as we concluded that its all up to personal preferences. SAMY had the advantage of low entry, multi region such as Euro Stoxx 60, Japan EQ, AAXJ, GLD, Reits, and of course the bond that act as a cushion of the portfolio, almost instant re-invest of the dividend, all at a cost of AUM 0.8% p.a that deducted monthly. And some of the contributors mentioned above calculated the real cost of using SAMY is at most 1.10% including FX charges and expenses of the ETF. While on the other hand, you can buy only SP500 etf manually at the cost of 0.07% pa, excluded FX charges.

Rumours are that AutoWealth Singapore (AWSG) are coming, in the hope of better consumers environment, I hope more and more well-known Robos are coming to MY to prevent any form of monopoly, thus we as investor will gain the most in term of getting better services, better coverage, and better earning.

HENG ARRRRR

ONG ARRRRR

HUAT ARRRRR

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:47 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

Stashaway General Investing 18% overview:
user posted image
Stashaway General 20% detailed:
user posted image

USD return wise: Floating between 0% - 2% after 1 year with maximum risk (level 16 in old system for 11 months, 20% in new risk level system)
If count in SGD the return is 3% - 4% bcoz SGD has depreciated.
Basically it hasn't been stellar for me, I use it mainly as EPF/CPF substitute.

BTW they never invest in any local securities (Singapore ETF is underperforming for loooooong time), so I predict when they launch in Malaysia and you deposit MYR, you are going to get the same portfolio as Singapore Stashaway.
Also becareful when Singapore robo-advisors brag about their high return, look for the USD return % not SGD. It looks real good when SGD has recently weakened against USD.

If MYR weakens then your return in local currency should be higher. In a way you can use it to hedge against MYR.
seem like StashAway Malaysia got the license from SC.
https://themalaysianreserve.com/2018/10/18/...malaysia-entry/

US ETF that cover different parts of the world except Africa. There are very tiny bits of Malaysia and Singapore inside AAXJ.
You don’t want that much you can dial down to lowest risk, which puts like 60-70% bonds in your portfolio.
Just DCA $100 every week all the way, don’t panic then keep tweaking risk level.
the fee is calculated based on accumulated amount year end of entry fee each time?
Average daily AUM and charged every first week of next month.
waaa got people start Pm you already?
btw. I want to know more about the 36% thing. how is it measured?
and is it forced to have weekly commitment? and done via standing instructions or we deposit?
99% chance of not losing more than 36% in any given 1 year period.
No, you can suka suka deposit whatever you want or nothing, for me I just set standing instructions to deposit weekly coz I find it fun. But when money is tight you can just stop depositing.
BTW your questions can be found answered in their FAQ.

based on your ss in earlier post.
seems like the transfer of money looks so ancient style..... it's not FPX....

IIRC FPX you cant set standing instructions.
Also HelloGold uses FPX and costs like RM1 for every transfer.
i've been wondering, do their robo-advisor do short trades? i looked around the Sg site i did not anything on this

Fuck no. I have attended their talk near my office in Ayer Rajah before, both founders came off as pretty risk averse people.

At the simplest level, I think it's about act of balancing having securities of different natures in different regions.
CODE

|                   | US    | EU    | Asia | others |
|-------------------|-------|-------|------|--------|
| Growth (equities) | SPY   | STOXX | AAXJ |        |
| Protective        | Bonds |       |      | GLD    |
|                   |       |       |      |        |

They don't pick individual stocks, they don't go and short things. But yea kena read their CIO insights to know more.

Stashaway's CEO did an AMA recently. Which answers most of the questions on this thread. It's officially launched in malaysia already.
https://crowdfundtalks.com/topic/354/altern...er-8-30-9-30pm/

StashAway customer support says:
I interpret it as launched in Malaysia, they still testing the system out, but never actually block anyone from signing up if they want to.
They absorb the conversions, commissions etc in your management fee already. To keep it simple you pay 0.8% to StashAway + management fees for underlying securities.
The rest you probably need to ask their customer support, they are pretty responsive.

Anyone planning to invest with stashaway. I am reluctant as the markets in the US are fluctuating a lot, not to mention the FX risk. All my friends in singapore are losing money in stashaway.
Can ask if the risk choose the lowest. Is it still losing money? And based on previous post, some mentioned that the profile can change very frequently. Is it true?

Portfolio only changes when you change risk level AFAIK.

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:12 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

yea... that's what I meant.
the risk level is it up to us to change?
Yeap.
nope. But its take me an hour + for register and check all the details.
Wanted to do transfer but cant do it.
Anyone here using m2u?
the recipient name I cant put fully, the have limit up to pacific trustee berhad but "for StashAway" cant be enter. The account not authorized.

Just make sure bank account number is correct. I guess recipient name is more for your own reference.
Also make sure transaction reference is correct.

I try 3 times. all particular correct.
is the recipient name doesn't matter for you?

AFAIK nope.
user posted image

Which bank are you using? Can try others?
Also make sure you pick Interbank GIRO instead of instant transfer.

yes. IBG all correct. I only have m2u

got a referral code from a member here. got myself an account. sad the transfer of funds is so prehistoric

It must be Pacific Trustees Bhd instead of Pacific Trustee Berhad
Just omit the word "for Stashaway", I am using m2u as well, no problem so far.

Update**
M2U can go thru now.
So after payment need wait how long yea?
And the navigation really a mess. Cant find any button to top up the current goal. No table to duration on how long you will getting it run.
Email, no reply.
Call, no pick up....

went through this thread and discovered that currency exchange does affect your investment.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mi...ns-5746835.html
now I need to think 3 or four times to invest in this start up

Deposited on 1st Nov - RM100
Converted to USD on the 9th Nov
Bought securities on the 10th Nov
Deposit another RM100 today to see how long it takes to process.

Read this https://www.google.com/amp/s/financialhorse...tashaway-1/amp/
US bonds. everything the robo focuses on is US and we know how volatile us is and fed rates

I try few times still cannot. walaaooooo.
name must die die same....
already ask support regarding this. hope to get reply tomorrow.

Which bank are you using? Can try others?
Also make sure you pick Interbank GIRO instead of instant transfer.

yes. IBG all correct. I only have m2u

got a referral code from a member here. got myself an account. sad the transfer of funds is so prehistoric

It must be Pacific Trustees Bhd instead of Pacific Trustee Berhad
Just omit the word "for Stashaway", I am using m2u as well, no problem so far.
went through this thread and discovered that currency exchange does affect your investment.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mi...ns-5746835.html
now I need to think 3 or four times to invest in this start up

Deposited on 1st Nov - RM100
Converted to USD on the 9th Nov
Bought securities on the 10th Nov
Deposit another RM100 today to see how long it takes to process.

[Ancient-XinG-]
Read this https://www.google.com/amp/s/financialhorse...tashaway-1/amp/
US bonds. everything the robo focuses on is US and we know how volatile us is and fed rates

They bought the securities yesterday so making it T+2.

Deposit on the 11th, funds converted and bought on 14th night . Currently on highest risk portfolio

No, there are no more bonds with the highest risk after their risk index update, just equities & REIT.

hmm today check back. Indeed now around T+2 or 3 because some are still in progress.
But what I confuse is the management fees. Can you explain it? It say 0.8%pa,it is deducted monthly?
And for SA MY, we are using MYR, thus, when converted, we will facing the currency impact. If MYR drop we GG lo?
And I remember I put in 3000 MYR, but why the deposited amount stated only 2997 MYR? Is it the currency impact?

Yes, I read that it is deducted monthly , yes if myr drop, then more expensive to invest but then again , investment get currency gain as well.
2997 should be the cost of Forex, I think the rates reasonable compared to bank

I think stashaway is like you select a risk level, the robo will based on your risk appetite to select a basket of asset/vehicle to make up your portfolio. And on equity vehicle, stashaway focus on US ETF, sifu corrects me please.
It's different forex robo trading that I used to invest. Either fully automated or semi.

No, ETFs are usually passively managed. That’s why their fees are lower and they don’t do stupid things like actively managed funds.

Few weeks ago I got withholding tax refund for the bonds. But it’s like 1 year after I started using stashaway.

Too bad, if you own more than ONE house or ONE car, you're not eligible to register with Stashaway.

So people repaying loans for next decades are locked out? Wanna know if it’s a mistake or they have reasons behind it.

yes agreed. Only yourself responsible for your own investment decisions. However should not let paying loans deny you from investing

Can try sorting it out with the customer service rep. They are responsive.

I've spoke to the customer care earlier. These are excerpts of the explanation:
"As StashAway invests your money in foreign currency assets, we will have to comply with Notice 3 of the Foreign Exchange Administration Rules and we are unable to proceed with your account opening on StashAway’s Malaysia platform at this moment."
"At this moment, we can only proceed with client who owned not more than ONE House loan and not more than ONE Vehicle loan."
The Foreign Exchange Administration (FEA) Rules are found on Bank Negara website:
http://www.bnm.gov.my/files/notices/Notice_3.pdf

This is the valid economist pov. But i dont think BNM is able to enforce that efficiently by letting normal peep like us to answer honestly on the questionnaire.

It’s just StashAway covering their own ass. If people wanna be dishonest, it’s not SA’s fault at least.

I a bit tak faham the concept.
So the index let say 10% and i invest 10,000 MYR, my understanding
is that there is 1% chance I might lose 10% of the 10000 MYR.
So how much is the growth we talking about?

There is 1% chance you will lose more than USD after after converting RM1000 within a year of putting money in.

This is the valid economist pov. But i dont think BNM is able to enforce that efficiently by letting normal peep like us to answer honestly on the questionnaire.

It’s just StashAway covering their own ass. If people wanna be dishonest, it’s not SA’s fault at least.

I a bit tak faham the concept.
So the index let say 10% and i invest 10,000 MYR, my understanding
is that there is 1% chance I might lose 10% of the 10000 MYR.
So how much is the growth we talking about?

There is 1% chance you will lose more than USD after after converting RM1000 within a year of putting money in.

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:13 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-
post Mar 11 2019, 01:05 PM

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

It's ok. I have contacted StashAway for more info and received a reply from them. So, i would like to share it with everyone here.
Expected Returns (based on historical data)
Core Portfolios:
StashAway Risk Index 6.5% - 8%, our projected returns are 5.0% - 5.6%
StashAway Risk Index 8.5% - 10%, our projected returns are 5.7% - 6.2%.
StashAway Risk Index 10.5% - 12%, our projected returns are 6.4% - 6.6%.
StashAway Risk Index 12.5% - 14%, our projected returns are 6.7% - 7.0%.
StashAway Risk Index 14.5% - 16%, our projected returns are 7.2% - 7.4%.
StashAway Risk Index 16.5% - 18%, our projected returns are 7.7% - 8.0%.
StashAway Risk Index 18.5% - 20%, our projected returns are 8.1% - 8.4%.
Higher-Risk Portfolios:
StashAway Risk Index 26% - 36%, our projected returns are 8.5% - 9.3%.
Please note that these projections are based on historical monthly data (from January 1982 to December 2017). We do not endorse that historical returns are reflective of the future. As economic cycles change, returns could be higher or lower than these long-term projections.

Actual returns (July 2017 - July 2018)
Here are 7 anchor portfolios to illustrate the range of risk and returns we earned in the last year. The following chart shows gross returns in SGD of these portfolios, ranked by risk (low to high), compared to the returns of their respective risk-based benchmarks.
[attachmentid=10132520]
Our portfolios have yielded between 4.3% and 6.6% gross returns in SGD over the last year, characterised by a very positive market for the first 7 months (July 2017 to January 2018) and a more turbulent one for the subsequent 5 months (February 2018 - July 2018).
All of StashAway’s 28 portfolios (excl higher risk portfolios) have outperformed their same-risk benchmark. In the same time frame, an investment in the Straits Times Index (STI) would have yielded only 0.8% positive returns. Note that the risk of the STI is approximately 2x the risk of P28 over the last 10 years.
Previously, we have named our portfolios 1 to 28 as P1 to P28. However, we've introduced "StashAway Risk Index" and the portfolios have since been renamed.
Previous Model:
[attachmentid=10132523]

any idea how often fund giving dividend? Some my fund is giving dividend. Now Total return is -1.8%

Kena google up the ETFs themselves - "dividend.com <ticker>"
For example:
- CWB (monthly)
- SPY (quarterly)

Thanks! Will we be taxed from the dividends? If we are, do we pay US tax or MY tax?

Malaysians and Singaporeans don't need to pay capital gains tax.
StashAway and their broker Saxo also help customers do withholding tax refund, but this one has significant delays, like I only got withholding tax reimbursement in October for FY 2017 investments, check with their customer support.
user posted image

Is this auto help all stashaway customer to do the claim back?

Yea, but like I said: it’s very slow. You only get it in October 2018 for whatever holdings you have throughout FY 2017.

happened to check the Christmas deals on Boost, let's give a try la
[attachmentid=10148020]

honsiong
Here is what I understand about the amount of tax refund from your screenshot. So, kindly correct my misunderstanding, if there is any.
Dividend Withholding Tax = 30% of the Dividend
Refund Amount from Dividend Withholding Tax = 46% of Dividend Withholding Tax
Refund Amount from Dividend Withholding Tax = 46% x 30% of the dividend = 13.8% of the dividend
Thus,
Unrefunded Amount from Dividend Withholding Tax
= (100% - 46%) from Dividend Withholding Tax x 30% of the dividend = 54% x 30% of the dividend
= 16.2% of the dividend
In other words, StashAway and their broker Saxo are unable to assist in claiming back the remaining Dividend Withholding Tax (= 16.2% of the dividend), from the US tax authorities, since we Malaysians are not US tax resident.
So, we have to accept that 16.2% of the dividend is lost, and we have to reduce our dividend yield of our investment in StashAway accordingly.
Thank you for your clarification.  thumbup.gif

hi pals wanna enquire, for the wildholding tax refund, they will do it spontaneously?
or we need to request somewhere on the platform?

Eh the specifics I think better ask their customer support. But the amount returned macam not that life changing also, so maybe you are right.
Spontaneously.

Just compiled all dividend payouts in FY 2017.
For each bonds:
1. x = sum of payouts in 2017
2. dividend_before_tax = x * 10 / 7 // coz 30% deducted
3. reimburse_% = reimbursed_amount / dividend_before_tax
user posted image
I may have make mistakes here, so the gov bonds macam refund all the withholding taxes, except CWB.

Ok, honsiong, thanks for compiling the information, for the sake of comparison.  thumbup.gif
Your previous post said that StashAway credits refund amount from dividend withholding tax into your account in October, for the investment performed in the preceding year.
For each gov bond, was the crediting of the refund amount done in a single transaction, or multiple transactions?
Maybe, for your case, StashAway refunded 46% of Dividend Withholding Tax in the first transaction, and then credited the remaining 54% in the second transactions. Both crediting transactions were performed in October this year.
Your screenshot of your Google sheet shows that StashAway managed to refund almost all Dividend Withholding Tax (= 30% of the Dividend) automatically, and that is good. smile.gif
Maybe, you just remind StashAway to refund the remaining Dividend Withholding Tax for CWB (30% - 7.09% = 20.91%), as it is rightfully your money. With that final refund, you are all good.

The 46% is not constant and varies from investor to investor. This blogger's email only write 34% as opposed to my 46%. I suspect it has a lot to do with CWB's nature?
The crediting is done once for each bond on the same day.

Why time the market if you believed in Stash Away or ETF investment as your choice?
JL Collins says: "Time in the market is better than time the market", "Best day to invest was yesterday, second best day is today"
Happy New Year

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:13 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

Ok, honsiong, thanks for compiling the information, for the sake of comparison.  thumbup.gif
Your previous post said that StashAway credits refund amount from dividend withholding tax into your account in October, for the investment performed in the preceding year.
For each gov bond, was the crediting of the refund amount done in a single transaction, or multiple transactions?
Maybe, for your case, StashAway refunded 46% of Dividend Withholding Tax in the first transaction, and then credited the remaining 54% in the second transactions. Both crediting transactions were performed in October this year.
Your screenshot of your Google sheet shows that StashAway managed to refund almost all Dividend Withholding Tax (= 30% of the Dividend) automatically, and that is good. smile.gif
Maybe, you just remind StashAway to refund the remaining Dividend Withholding Tax for CWB (30% - 7.09% = 20.91%), as it is rightfully your money. With that final refund, you are all good.

The 46% is not constant and varies from investor to investor. This blogger's email only write 34% as opposed to my 46%. I suspect it has a lot to do with CWB's nature?
The crediting is done once for each bond on the same day.

Why time the market if you believed in Stash Away or ETF investment as your choice?
JL Collins says: "Time in the market is better than time the market", "Best day to invest was yesterday, second best day is today"
Happy New Year

Except CWB, All treasury bonds you will have your taxes returned, I posted this a few pages ago with my own FY2017 data.
Dividends are not taxed bcoz corporate level taxed ady.

boss. I little bit confused with the 30% withholding tax.
meaning the dividend we received, and reinvested amount we seen in our account is only 70% of the amount we supposed to have?

Yes sir
Then you will get back the some remainder like after the year ends like a previous member shared with us few pages ago.
If not mistaken.
Not sure whether remainder is after tax deduction ? Is there any tax deduction ?

Correct, you get 70% of bond interest first, next year they one shot claim back the other 30% withheld tax for you.

meaning it will have the effect on our ROI. since 30% is not calculated. ain't it?

Yes just delayed few months. US tax law what to do..

Hi guys, i come from FSM thread and afew pages back, someone recomend stashaway.
Was wondering, is Stashaway safe?
How was everyone portfolio doing so far?
I am pretty upset on the FSM managed portfolio performances so far.

Hi, i am a fellow FSM investor as well and i have been looking towards ETFs and ngam ngam SA launched in Malaysia and gives a low cost entry into ETFs listed in US. Below is someone's review on SA and you can check out the different portfolios!
https://financialhorse.com/stashaway-1/
My return now is +2% from -15% (approx ) few weeks before. Of course i have been topping up every week. Risk 36 index.
Drop me a pm so i can pass you a referral code if you want !

BOOST rm3
what's the deal?

0% Management fee for 3 months

but eat 0.8% p.a. wor.... worth it?

Typical mutual funds sold by local banks charge 1.5% p.a. StashAway actual cost is 0.8% p.a. + 0.3% - 0.5% p.a.by underlying ETF fund managers.
And add additional sales charge

Monday - u do IBG
Tuesday - money appears in your account
Tuesday - if ur lucky they will do the conversion on the same day if not 2nd business day
Wednesday - conversion done, check back around 5/6/7pm u will see your buy orders in progress
Thursday - morning around 10/11, your order will no longer show in progress, all should be completed aldy

From my simple understanding, StashAway's CEO can't just dig into the funds to make expensive music videos with rappers for his wife:
Pacific Trustees - hold your money
Saxo Capital - hold your shares
StashAway - holds a ledger of (i) how much cash in Pacific Trustees belong to you, (ii) how many units (up to the fraction) in Saxo brokerage account belong to you

Lower risk equities: FEZ EWJ XLP
Higher risk equities: SPY AAXJ XLY XLK VBK
Lower risk bonds: TLT TLH TIPS VGIT AGG
Growth bond/hybrid: CWB
Growth commodities: GLD

user posted image

My interest in information on fees charged by Stashaway is to better inform myself and hopefully others investing with Stashaway. It is not a meant as a criticism against Stashaway, nor am I saying that they are "expensive".
Nevertheless, the answer to what is "cheaper" would ultimately depend on what type of investor you are.
For the sake of discussion, lets assume that the preferred style of investing is passive, the time horizon for the investment is around 30 years before you retire and the choice is between buying and owning the US ETFs directly or investing with a robo advisor like Stashaway.
Stashaway's barrier of entry and upfront costs are indeed much lower than going through the hassle of opening a brokerage account with TD Ameritrade or IB to trade US ETFs. Even though Stashaway is fully transparent in what they are investing in and you can just buy the same exact ETFs in the same proportions if you wish to, it arguably also wins out in terms of time and effort required for currency exchange and getting the transactions done.
However, it is worth noting that Stashaway's 0.8%-0.2% annual fee is charged onto your total assets under management (including any returns earned) and is deducted directly from there monthly. Using the analysis in this Youtube video which compares the fees charged by the US robo advisors (with rates as low as 0.25%) and directly owning a Vanguard ETF, the amount of fees paid over the course of 30 or even 40 years could add up to staggering amounts.
Of course the analysis in the youtube video is not directly applicable to the context of Malaysian investors like us who do not enjoy the same ease of access and low trading fees via vanguard or platforms like robinhood. But even in our context, the amount of fees charged by Stashaway over time would definitely add up to being much more than buying and owning the US ETFs directly, albeit to a lesser degree.
Stashaway has pros and cons. For an investment novice like myself who doesn't have enough capital to maintain a brokerage account with TD Ameritrade or IB, Stashaway is indeed a "Cheaper" choice and may be able to bring better returns that the 4.x% FDs currently available out there.

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:14 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

The short answer is that what is cheaper depends greatly on context.
In the context of a Malaysian investor investing in US ETFs, the upfront cost of Stashaway is indeed way lower than buying ETFs directly due to brokerage and currency exchange fees. However, for purposes of compounding over long periods, expending a larger one-time up front cost to buy the ETF directly may make more financial sense than an annual fee charged on the AUM. Stashaway is only cheaper in the short term but becomes more expensive in the long term. A relatively small difference in the fees charged may also have a significant impact in the long term.
Anyway, since Stashaway does not charge withdrawal fees, we have the option of withdrawing our funds to buy ETFs directly when it makes more financial sense to do so.

Honsiong is right, dividends and interest derived from investments outside Malaysia and received by local investors are exempt from tax.
Can read this LHDN public ruling for more info http://lampiran1.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/PR2_2014.pdf
This is the most relevant part:-
(a) Dividends and interest from investments outside Malaysia
Dividends and interest derived from investments outside Malaysia and received by local investors in Malaysia, other than a resident company carrying on the business of banking, insurance or sea or air transport, are exempt from tax.
[paragraph 28 of Schedule 6 of ITA]

If you talking about the return in your stashaway app. It has already included the conversion fee into USD.
For annual fee, it'll be deducted monthly. So, you will notice a bit loss of ROI at the end of each month.
However, when you choose to sell, you will be charged for the conversion fee to MYR. This fee will be only shown in the end of the sale.
For the projected return stated in my previous post, I didn't ask Stashaway about it but I think that it's gross as the annual management fee varies according investment amount.

i assume for the 0.8 tier
the total fee would be
0.8% p.a.
+
0.15% - 0.25% p.a. (low fee associated with the ETF)
+
0.1% FX rate
TOTAL = 1.05 ~ 1.15% pa
What are the fees associated with StashAway?

Have to add additional 0.1% of currency conversion charge when you sell the investment.
So, TOTAL = 0.95 - 1.05 % per annum + 0.2% of investment amount

Guess reasons to stick with SA is:
1) Dividend and withholding tax claim
You might not be aware that, SA managed to claim back full, ALMOST ~30% of the dividend issued on the ETF we invested
(you might need to grind back this post discussion)
- The DIY way you recommended if I'm not wrong, only can claim back 15% right?
2) DCA friendly 1
We are doing DCA monthly, weekly. Majority here are doing investing with small cap
- I did read on the DIY post of yours, which recomended RM18k Ringgit to 4k Euro as minimum for wire transfer via Instarem to CapTrader German.
I dont have that much frankly  bye.gif
3) DCA friendly 2
SA is much more DCA friendly I guess, in contrast to your DIY method with hassle process of weekly transfer (and as discussed in 2nd point, we cant't transfer transfer amount like few hundred ain't we?)
Correct me if I'm wrong, the DIY method is more Lump Sum Strategy friendly.
4) Diversify
SA already recommended the combination based on our risk index, we cannot invest in just S&P500, and we don't need to actively manage the portfolio combination.
So indirectly it diversifies the risk as well based on our risk index, we might argue that hoot only on S&P500 could get higher return, instead of SA combination, but it does come with the benefit of lower risk i guess?
Finally, for me, I really don't have the time to actively manage the portfolio, as well managing the hassle of weekly DIY and wire transferring,again the DCA friendliness issue.
Correct me if any info above is wrong, my personal two cents.
Might consider your way if it is arguably much more DCA friendlier than Stashaway, since who don't prefer lower fee   icon_idea.gif

Just chipping in my 3 sen. I don't disagree with you and in fact agree with you about Stashaway being a relatively good option for ikan bilis investors such as myself.
However, as you have pointed out, the 30% withholding taxes claimed back by Stashway/Saxo is only for ETFs that track securities/treasuries/bonds issued by the U.S. Treasury/Government, because such dividend payments are sourced from interest income which are eligible for exemption due to the US tax law on qualified interest income. Such exemption is not applicable for ETFs that track equities like SPY/US domiciled SP500 as mentioned by alexkos or VTSAX/VTWAX, since their dividend payments are sourced from profits of the underlying corporations held.
So for ETFs that track equities, notwithstanding other advantages, Stashaway does not appear to have much relative advantage over hooting the ETFs directly in terms of the 30% withholding tax situation.

I think i have basically answered your question in my earlier post, not sure if you read it or not.
Based on the information provided by Honsiong, Stashaway can and does help to claim back the 30% withholding taxes for ETFs that track securities/treasuries/bonds issued by the U.S. Treasury/Government. As far as I know, this is the only exemption for Msia citizens which have no tax treaty with the US. For ETFs that track equities like SPY/US domiciled SP500, whether you buy directly thru captrader or we hold them thru SA, the 30% withholding taxes cannot be claimed back due to our status as non-resident and non-us citizen aka alien.
So you are right to point out that, in this aspect alone, irish domiciled ETFs with 15% withholding taxes are more cost efficient in the long run.
I do agree with you that the people in this thread can get quite sensitive even when you raise a reasonable question about fees charged by SA. Nevertheless, no one here owes you any due diligence to check their info. If you want a reliable answer then SA customer support is the best choice you got.

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:14 PM
TS[Ancient]-XinG-

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

Annual Fees Promotion!!!

1. Boost

1 MYR for 3 months off, AUM up to 30000 MYR
*t&c
only 1 reward per customer

2. GrabReward

1200 points for 15 MYR credits
*t&c
up to 3 vouchers per customers
end 29/03/2019

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: Mar 11 2019, 03:20 PM
SUSMNet
post Mar 11 2019, 03:36 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,954 posts

Why do you need to create a new thread?
yokoloco
post Mar 12 2019, 01:39 PM

Regular
1,116 posts

QUOTE(Ancient-XinG- @ Mar 11 2019, 01:05 PM)
Annual Fees Promotion!!!

1. Boost

1 MYR for 3 months off, AUM up to 30000 MYR
*t&c

2. GrabReward

1200 points for 15 MYR credits
*t&c
up to 3 vouchers per customers
end 29/03/2019
Will the Boost promo stack? Like u activate 2 o 3 times, 3 months + 3 months + 3 months?
yuiopoiuy
post Mar 12 2019, 01:41 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

New thread congrats 🙌
tadashi987
post Mar 12 2019, 01:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,085 posts

QUOTE(yokoloco @ Mar 12 2019, 01:39 PM)
Will the Boost promo stack? Like u activate 2 o 3 times, 3 months + 3 months + 3 months?
i think there mentioned *t&c

we hope it stacks too haha
tadashi987
post Mar 12 2019, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,085 posts

And also, for the withholding tax discussion that we had in the previous old thread.

here the official reply from StashAway

Withholding tax claim back would only apply to majority of the BOND ETF

Attached Image
AntiScam
post Mar 12 2019, 02:10 PM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(MNet @ Mar 11 2019, 03:36 PM)
Why do you need to create a new thread?
Yeah, I would like to know too, why this new thread?
preducer
post Mar 12 2019, 02:10 PM

2,838 posts

maybe TS would want to put V2 in the title and put a link back to V1 thread in the first port ?
Ninjitsu
post Mar 12 2019, 02:17 PM

Casual
406 posts

Which is easier to deposit funds in SAMY? JomPay or IBG?
tadashi987
post Mar 12 2019, 02:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,085 posts

QUOTE(Ninjitsu @ Mar 12 2019, 02:17 PM)
Which is easier to deposit funds in SAMY? JomPay or IBG?
Both are same, Both take around T+2 / T+3, to receive your deposit > convert it to USD > buy ETF

Most of us put auto bank Standing instruction to auto transfer as DCA practise

*remember to put your unique code in the reference field when you transfer

Ninjitsu
post Mar 12 2019, 02:26 PM

Casual
406 posts

QUOTE(tadashi987 @ Mar 12 2019, 02:21 PM)
Both are same, Both take around T+2 / T+3, to receive your deposit > convert it to USD > buy ETF

Thanks bro.
ViktorJ
post Mar 12 2019, 02:31 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

QUOTE(tadashi987 @ Mar 12 2019, 02:21 PM)

They are working on a new deposit system, lump sum and DCA.

I tested it.

Looks promising.
tadashi987
post Mar 12 2019, 02:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,085 posts

QUOTE(ViktorJ @ Mar 12 2019, 02:31 PM)
They are working on a new deposit system, lump sum and DCA.

I tested it.

Looks promising.
using FPX right, mean no need manual transfer, but manual make the 'payment' on StashAway portal

but i hope together with his, they improve the speed also, T+2, T+3 really a bit unfavorable for me

especially for withdrawal (redemption/sell) process

really hope they can do the sell process at T+1 at least, to prevent the loss of within T+2/T+3 unsure.gif

1027 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:44 AM