Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

linkinstreet
post Aug 20 2018, 09:29 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(zeese @ Aug 20 2018, 10:43 AM)
Finally, I got my pvr replaced. The new pvr is same like the old pvr, except the new pvr is 30% LONGER.
The decoder is supposed to be free (except i have to pay the technician RM61 for his service). This is the new pvr,
which is same but much longer than my older pvr.

user posted image
Just for knowledge sharing
------------------------------
Before replacement, I opened up the pvr (the smaller one) and inside it was a 2.5" sata
hard disk. I replaced the hard disk with my own 2.5" hard disk, but apparently, my decoder was faulty not because of the
hard disk alone.
user posted image
Not really "new" per se. I was provided with that same PVR model from Astro since 2014, so I think it might be due to availability/stock at the time
linkinstreet
post Sep 21 2018, 03:11 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Sep 20 2018, 06:24 PM)
If only ours the same, international news always delayed.
I really notice the delay when watching Fox Sports on Unifi, which is faster. I was wondering why Astro delayed theirs, when I noticed Astro injected their own ads in Fox Sports on Astro while Unifi kept it as is

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Sep 20 2018, 08:05 PM)
Wonder why everyone who manage to watch the UHD matches never take a snap of the decoder... laugh.gif
Likely similar to Sky Q UHD decoder, but made cheaply in China
linkinstreet
post Mar 31 2019, 11:23 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Mar 30 2019, 07:05 PM)
Maybe they make the announcement about UHD is just to impress their stakeholders first, then fully implement way later on.

Will the Malaysian market has high demand on UHD?
Honestly how many Malaysians have 4K display? Heck, most of the people I know are still watching SD Astro, and can't comprehend when I say the picture looks blurry
linkinstreet
post May 18 2019, 10:33 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

View post on Imgur.com

Clean, but not as intuitive as the old UI. Need more button press compared to before
linkinstreet
post May 19 2019, 11:21 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

I noticed after the Beta, if your PVR has a power cut and reboot, it will reboot to the last channel watched instead of defaulting to RTM1 now
linkinstreet
post Sep 10 2019, 11:08 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(HMMaster @ Sep 10 2019, 11:00 PM)
My error. Any idea?
user posted image
Happens to me all the time after I signed up with the Beta. so much so that I disconnected my internet until the latest update which somewhat fixed the issue. Anyway if it persist try using an ethernet cable instead. I found that it helps a bit
linkinstreet
post Sep 11 2019, 12:58 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(HMMaster @ Sep 11 2019, 08:34 AM)
I'm using ethernet, but still got this problem. Tried with wifi as well, same.
What is the latest version number? Mine only happen recently, which should be after the latest firmware update.
Try rebooting both your modem and router and hope for the best. The only explanation i can think of right now is that some IP range has worse routing to Astro compared to others and the decoder keep timing out when connecting to it
linkinstreet
post Oct 1 2019, 07:10 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Sep 29 2019, 12:17 PM)
Astro UHD, channel 845 now...
Hmm, logo changed to BeIn Sports 4K?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Depends on the provider. Likely when showing F1 it will show Fox Sports logo. In any case, they just bundle every 4K broadcast under the Astro UHD banner

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Oct 1 2019, 05:55 AM)
For SD channels on DTV compared to astro ?
DTV is encoded straight from the source by the broadcasters themselves, be it RTM or Media Prima. For SD on Astro meanwhile, they usually take the broadcast, and re-encode them with a lower bitrate and resolution. IIRC astro's SD channel are slightly above 360p only in terms of resolution, which is why it looks so shitty compared to DTV which are usually 480p

This post has been edited by linkinstreet: Oct 1 2019, 07:14 AM
linkinstreet
post Oct 1 2019, 02:21 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Oct 1 2019, 07:43 AM)
Wow, thanks for your explanation, didn’t realize that DTV have better video quality than Astro

Feels like astro is ripping us off with this, paid Astro, get lower than FTA DTV quality
technically it was okay when we are all using CRT + RCA connections. But nowadays as we move on to HD, Astro thought it's a good idea to keep the old output spec in the name of "compatibility". To makes matters worse, every SD channel is 4:3, no matter what the source aspect ratio is, and if the source is 16:9, they "helpfully" added black bars as well, making the picture which is already in a lower resolution much smaller than it really is.
linkinstreet
post Oct 16 2019, 10:36 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Oct 15 2019, 03:32 PM)
well price drop is our dreams only..
only can happen if astro feel their market share dropping drastically to rival companies...
well that's what I heard..
personally among my family & friends... No one is using CRT TV anymore. the last household I saw is around year 2016. but they also change to FHD TV after the TV kaput  tongue.gif
I still see people with HD TV connect to Astro using RCA cable instead of HDMI. Never underestimate the lack of technical abilities of Malaysians :V
linkinstreet
post Oct 16 2019, 03:37 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Oct 16 2019, 11:59 AM)
Perhaps they don't have HDMI cable, so use RCA cable connect to astro.
Well~ That totally waste of the bill to pay HD service with connect RCA cable.
You were provided with an HDMI cable in the box with your Astro HD decoder tho...
linkinstreet
post Nov 23 2019, 06:38 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(mengga @ Nov 22 2019, 09:25 PM)
Very old LNB for PVR Box. I did not take pictures. The message on my TV is : Service currently not available. If its currently raining .... . Only on channel 780. Then the installer changed to the new one, the message disappeared and the picture is available. MAybe each case is unique, or the installer is not experience enough. He then split my cable with this for 60 ringgit.
RM60? I just bought a box of 5 for RM14 from Lazada 😅
linkinstreet
post Mar 31 2020, 05:53 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

Hopefully they are not going to cut Wrestlemania this weekend. The past 2 years they cut off some parts of Wrestlemania just to fit local ads. WTF betul
linkinstreet
post Mar 31 2020, 09:32 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Mar 31 2020, 08:59 PM)
Any program even live in the US also got time slot for advertisement. 1 hour drama actual length is around 40 min, padded with ads. It is up to the party that buy the program to fill in or not the ads slot.
I know. But sometimes Astro purposely cut off more than the original ad slots to fit longer commercial. Sometimes you can notice it during late night/early morning re-rerun of the same PPV as Astro didn't bother to remove the international ads. So you might end up with segments being cut off, or something that starts abruptly.
linkinstreet
post May 28 2020, 12:05 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(hazim96 @ May 28 2020, 10:53 AM)
So astro doesnt design the UI? Thats why Aora DTH in Indonesia also have the same UI with astro old UI
The current UI is based on bootstrap/WEB UI, which is horrendous for the STB as your STB is not a website. I presume Astro themselves designed this new UI and want to make everything look the same. Problem is this web interface takes more click to navigate. We are using a remote, not a mouse.
linkinstreet
post May 28 2020, 08:12 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ May 28 2020, 04:39 PM)
Seeking advice
Can multi room be on different premise/house?

These days we hardly watch any astro, only the old parents watch, and I was thinking of relocation it to the parent house. But they unable to remember how to navigate the UI.
Rather than having another astro subscription & instead of me always going over to troubleshoot, I thot about getting a multi room in my house to walk thru with them on the navigation over the phone.
Already done place cards with picture on navigation but .... sad.gif
I have Multi Room where my B.Yond PVR is at my house and non PVR decoder is at the office currently. The decoder should work as long as the new location has a satelite dish.
linkinstreet
post May 30 2020, 01:32 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ May 29 2020, 12:16 PM)
Many thanks for the info.
To add, when I installed it at the office, my officemate who had cancelled astro gave me his old satellite + cable. Installation was RM150 IIRC. So if you don't have extra satellite + cable, you might have to pay for those too
linkinstreet
post May 31 2020, 11:47 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ May 31 2020, 08:18 PM)
AXN, ONE, Animax and GEM (when will Astro add this channel for heaven sake) are no longer under Sony. Bought by ex-Sony execs.
I am waiting for Gem just to watch latest J Drama lol.
linkinstreet
post Jun 1 2020, 08:42 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jun 1 2020, 08:35 AM)
🤣😂😅

Sadly but it's true..

Malaysian is more towards K-pop than Jpop culture...
Don't know why.. we don't have previous history with Korean than Japanese... Yet Korean more preferred 👍
QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Jun 1 2020, 06:59 AM)
JDrama are so underrated. However it is difficult to find JDRAMA with English sub. Instead of NHK premium, Gem and Waku Waku Japan have better programs.
If you know where to look, you can find J-Dorama with subs easily enough. Some Singaporean are even ripping the GEM stream (using DVB-T2 transport stream I presume) and reuploading them on sites like Nyaa. The only issue I have are these rippers upload it as it is, so I need to re-encode them back from 1080i to 1080p and OCR the subs

For older series, d-addicts and private trackers like Avistaz are there
linkinstreet
post Jun 3 2020, 10:36 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
8,880 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jun 3 2020, 08:38 AM)
Well already moved on to Kpop 😅
Depends on the age I presume. Most of my colleagues that are early 30s and above are still into Hindi movies as that's what they grew up with, especially those that comes from places where the only TV access they had were RTM/TV3

21 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0246sec    0.39    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st December 2022 - 08:15 AM