Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Build your own NAS and Homelab with cheap PCs!, UnRaid, Xpenology, NAS4Free, Freenas,OMV

views

TSC-Fu
post Sep 19 2021, 09:11 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Sep 19 2021, 08:37 PM)
Thanks I asked in the rig suggestion thread and this is what I got..

Planning to go with this for now..

Pentium G6400 - 239
Asrock B560M-HDV - 360
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4-3200 X1 - 189
Cougar GX-S 450W - 159

For HDD/storage wise how many HDD I should start with? minimum of 2 right? Is SSD needed too?

Any suggestion is welcomed..  biggrin.gif
G6400 is a beast if you plan to use it for transcoding.
You have 4 sata + M.2, so go with at least 4 drives. use it for your steam drive first. as for M.2, if you need nvme, use DS918 image. if not, you can get a cheap M.2 to pcie x4 adapter that you can then use for a sata card. or get the m.2 to u.2 kit.

user posted image

user posted image

giving you an extra 4 sata ports. if you use the pcie x4 m.2 adapter, you then need to get a pcie x4 to 4/5/6/8 sata adapter. used to be dirt cheap, but because of Chia mining, it's crazy expensive.

user posted image

user posted image

1 SSD is recommended, but not necessary. with Xpe, you can first create one big volume/pool with all of the HDDs (/volume1, 2 or more HDDs) then use 1 or 2 SSD for either cache (for the HDD data), to install all/most of the syno apps (at /volume2) so everything is super speedy, or both (1 SSD for cache, 1 SSD for apps). you really don't need to, but it's pretty useful. can always do it later.

8GB is very sufficient.

you can definitely go with just 2 HDDs, but 4 is nicer (eg. 4x 1TB > 2x2TB).

This post has been edited by C-Fu: Sep 19 2021, 09:21 PM
Zack Styler
post Sep 21 2021, 06:50 PM

Things Happen for a Reason...
1,280 posts

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Sep 19 2021, 09:11 PM)
G6400 is a beast if you plan to use it for transcoding.
You have 4 sata + M.2, so go with at least 4 drives. use it for your steam drive first. as for M.2, if you need nvme, use DS918 image. if not, you can get a cheap M.2 to pcie x4 adapter that you can then use for a sata card. or get the m.2 to u.2 kit.

user posted image

user posted image

giving you an extra 4 sata ports. if you use the pcie x4 m.2 adapter, you then need to get a pcie x4 to 4/5/6/8 sata adapter. used to be dirt cheap, but because of Chia mining, it's crazy expensive.

user posted image

user posted image
1 SSD is recommended, but not necessary. with Xpe, you can first create one big volume/pool with all of the HDDs (/volume1, 2 or more HDDs) then use 1 or 2 SSD for either cache (for the HDD data), to install all/most of the syno apps (at /volume2) so everything is super speedy, or both (1 SSD for cache, 1 SSD for apps). you really don't need to, but it's pretty useful. can always do it later.

8GB is very sufficient.

you can definitely go with just 2 HDDs, but 4 is nicer (eg. 4x 1TB > 2x2TB).
Thanks for sharing.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I have a question here, I wanted to setup the NAS to be able to stream medias to my TV too which are on the same network, how can I do that?

Can I do it via DLNA?

I am thinking something alone the line of having a software based program installed in the NAS drives, and when I wanted to watch medias from the NAS via TV, I just connect to the NAS and select what I wanted to watch..

Thanks again..
TSC-Fu
post Sep 21 2021, 07:19 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Sep 21 2021, 06:50 PM)
Thanks for sharing..  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

I have a question here, I wanted to setup the NAS to be able to stream medias to my TV too which are on the same network, how can I do that?

Can I do it via DLNA?

I am thinking something alone the line of having a software based program installed in the NAS drives, and when I wanted to watch medias from the NAS via TV, I just connect to the NAS and select what I wanted to watch..

Thanks again..
Xpe supports DLNA. just install MediaServer and you're set.

TV's internal media player is very very finicky. you need the media to use a very specific codec, specific bitrate, specific bitrate type to be supported.
plus no subtitles. it will just fail most of the time, most of the tv.

Or install Plex/Jellyfin, and enable DLNA from it. DLNA is designed for internal network use, so all devices should be able to find it.

Plex can be used offline as well. Disable remote access if you wish, and enable DLNA server (as a fallback), and in Network, type 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 in LAN Networks.

This post has been edited by C-Fu: Sep 21 2021, 07:19 PM
Zack Styler
post Sep 22 2021, 09:54 AM

1,280 posts

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Sep 21 2021, 07:19 PM)
Xpe supports DLNA. just install MediaServer and you're set.

TV's internal media player is very very finicky. you need the media to use a very specific codec, specific bitrate, specific bitrate type to be supported.
plus no subtitles. it will just fail most of the time, most of the tv.

Or install Plex/Jellyfin, and enable DLNA from it. DLNA is designed for internal network use, so all devices should be able to find it.

Plex can be used offline as well. Disable remote access if you wish, and enable DLNA server (as a fallback), and in Network, type 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 in LAN Networks.
Thanks again.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
justnits
post Sep 28 2021, 01:36 PM

Mechanical Keyboard Addict
2,968 posts

oh gosh, I am 3 years behind this DIY NAS and finding this thread, but I am glad there is a handful of DIY NAS peeps here! thumbup.gif

I have recently been tinkering with Truenas, because of my friend lah, he was asking me for my opinion on what is the best storage solution for his collection of photos.
Long story short, he is not ready to dig deep into his pocket for NAS yet because photography is his side hobby only, not earning much from it, and his internet speed is 1Mbps, not suitable for cloud storage either.
End up he bought a NAS HDD to store his photos first while he slowly progress to getting maybe a Synology NAS later on.

But I didn't stop my research, I stumble upon Truenas and that's how I started this.

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Sep 19 2021, 08:37 PM)
Thanks I asked in the rig suggestion thread and this is what I got..

Planning to go with this for now..

Pentium G6400 - 239
Asrock B560M-HDV - 360
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4-3200 X1 - 189
Cougar GX-S 450W - 159

For HDD/storage wise how many HDD I should start with? minimum of 2 right? Is SSD needed too?

Any suggestion is welcomed..  biggrin.gif
Curious to know, which NAS OS are you going to use?

And what is your NAS future path?

I've been using Truenas for a couple of weeks now, and my initial intention was testing to set up a NAS myself and using it as a simple NAS. I got myself a couple of 5400 rpm hdd, and then now I am playing with the plugins and VMs, I wished I have gotten 7200 rpm hdd for better drive performance for those tongue.gif

(also regret selling off my old rig, first gen i7 cpu and cooler master haf case with lots of 3.5HDD bays)

TSC-Fu
post Sep 28 2021, 07:06 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(justnits @ Sep 28 2021, 01:36 PM)
I've been using Truenas for a couple of weeks now, and my initial intention was testing to set up a NAS myself and using it as a simple NAS. I got myself a couple of 5400 rpm hdd, and then now I am playing with the plugins and VMs, I wished I have gotten 7200 rpm hdd for better drive performance for those tongue.gif

(also regret selling off my old rig, first gen i7 cpu and cooler master haf case with lots of 3.5HDD bays)
truenas is like the endgame for NAS. if you have identical drives, and capable hardware to match, go for it. you won't be sorry.
xpe/syno is more for people with mixed capacity drives who wants the best capacity+performance.

5400rpm vs 7200rpm doesn't really matter IMO. especially if you use gigabit ethernet.

but once you reach the top of the endgame, what's next? biggrin.gif

that's another topic lah. but to get you guys started, google distributed storage, lizardfs, ipfs...

how do you find truenas? what hardware are you using?
justnits
post Sep 29 2021, 02:23 AM

2,968 posts

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Sep 28 2021, 07:06 PM)
truenas is like the endgame for NAS. if you have identical drives, and capable hardware to match, go for it. you won't be sorry.
xpe/syno is more for people with mixed capacity drives who wants the best capacity+performance.

5400rpm vs 7200rpm doesn't really matter IMO. especially if you use gigabit ethernet.

but once you reach the top of the endgame, what's next?  biggrin.gif

that's another topic lah. but to get you guys started, google distributed storage, lizardfs, ipfs...

how do you find truenas? what hardware are you using?
why i say 5400rpm and 7200rpm may make a difference because i started my truenas with 2 x 2.5" 500gb 7200rpm hdd, and the installation of plugins and VMs are significantly faster than when i install on my 2 x 3.5" 2tb 5400rpm hdd. i'm still trying to figure out what is the exact cause of the slowness but for now i suspect the rpm or that the 2.5" hdd is a sshd. and yes, i've gigabit network at home.

my next NAS OS that i am eager to try is Unraid, that one also flexible with mixed capacity drives and the ability to run gaming on VM (but doubt i'll go the route of VM gaming, unless if i have damn a lot of money)

wahrao, i haven't even familiar with zfs or even btrfs yet, you introduce me to so many new fs rclxub.gif tongue.gif

are you asking how i discover truenas or how truenas works for me?
Truenas is the first NAS OS i tried because when search "diy nas" in Youtube, a lot of videos on Truenas setup/installation guide. so here i am biggrin.gif
and i think Truenas has a little bit of learning curve, i was a bit lost at first but thanks to the many Youtube guides, i manage to play around with it.
so far it has exceeded my expectations, i thought it was only like a simple NAS feature with some plugins, the fact that it can host VM surprises me. manage to create a ubuntu VM to host a DST dedicated server rclxms.gif

my truenas rig specs,
Intel Core i5 6400 | Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H | 1 x 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz | FSP HEXA+ 550w | 2 x 500GB Toshiba MQ01ACF050 7,200RPM 2.5" | 2 x 2TB Toshiba P300 5,400RPM 3.5"
2 vdev pools, both are stripe since I only have 2 sets of identical drives each.

btw, what's your view on using ECC for NAS? is it absolutely important for long term use? or it's actually a manageable or negligible risks, depending on usage?

also, normal hard disks is sufficient or a proper NAS hard disks is better?

so far i am getting mixed ideas and answers for both ECC vs Non-ECC and normal HDD vs NAS HDD. would love to hear it from you who's into this for many years now tongue.gif

Zack Styler
post Sep 29 2021, 02:31 PM

1,280 posts

QUOTE(justnits @ Sep 28 2021, 01:36 PM)
oh gosh, I am 3 years behind this DIY NAS and finding this thread, but I am glad there is a handful of DIY NAS peeps here!  thumbup.gif

I have recently been tinkering with Truenas, because of my friend lah, he was asking me for my opinion on what is the best storage solution for his collection of photos.
Long story short, he is not ready to dig deep into his pocket for NAS yet because photography is his side hobby only, not earning much from it, and his internet speed is 1Mbps, not suitable for cloud storage either.
End up he bought a NAS HDD to store his photos first while he slowly progress to getting maybe a Synology NAS later on.

But I didn't stop my research, I stumble upon Truenas and that's how I started this.
Curious to know, which NAS OS are you going to use?

And what is your NAS future path?

I have yet to get the required hardware, probably by next month, but then not sure what NAS OS am gonna be on, need to read more on ease of setup and usability wise..
Zack Styler
post Oct 12 2021, 11:38 AM

1,280 posts

So I have placed orders for the hardware needed to build the NAS, but still looking around for HDDs..

Any recommendations on the HDDs? Should I go with NAS HDDs or normal HDDs will do?

Have been doing some readings on the reliability on the HDDs too..

The NAS may not be operating 24/7 but will be on standby @wake on LAN..

This post has been edited by Zack Styler: Oct 12 2021, 11:38 AM
TSC-Fu
post Oct 12 2021, 01:29 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Sep 29 2021, 02:31 PM)
I have yet to get the required hardware, probably by next month, but then not sure what NAS OS am gonna be on, need to read more on ease of setup and usability wise..
QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Oct 12 2021, 11:38 AM)
So I have placed orders for the hardware needed to build the NAS, but still looking around for HDDs..

Any recommendations on the HDDs? Should I go with NAS HDDs or normal HDDs will do?

Have been doing some readings on the reliability on the HDDs too..

The NAS may not be operating 24/7 but will be on standby @wake on LAN..
if you're new, it'll be about ease of install+setup vs ease of use. Xpe won't be the easiest to install vs OMV or truenas, but definitely easier to use.

as for drives, try not to get SMR drives. you can try googling the model + SMR: example WD20EFAX SMR. Use only CMR/PMR drives. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/in...ta-hdd#WD20EFAX
Zack Styler
post Oct 12 2021, 03:56 PM

1,280 posts

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Oct 12 2021, 01:29 PM)
if you're new, it'll be about ease of install+setup vs ease of use. Xpe won't be the easiest to install vs OMV or truenas, but definitely easier to use.

as for drives, try not to get SMR drives. you can try googling the model + SMR: example WD20EFAX SMR. Use only CMR/PMR drives. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/in...ta-hdd#WD20EFAX
1st time doing it, software wise probably need some time to tinker and explore around..

Can i mix different brands and capacitiy of HDDs if I want to do RAID ?

And is it as long as CMR/OMR HDD drives will do, consumer vs NAS types?

Thank you..
TSC-Fu
post Oct 12 2021, 05:56 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Oct 12 2021, 03:56 PM)
1st time doing it, software wise probably need some time to tinker and explore around..

Thank you..
not recommended of course, but yes you can. I mix drives from seagate ironwolfs and WD reds and others all the time. tarak problem.

I suggest if you are unsure, use it for unimportant data first, like your Steam drive. See if it works, takde problem, etc.

This post has been edited by C-Fu: Oct 12 2021, 05:57 PM
justnits
post Oct 13 2021, 03:15 PM

2,968 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Oct 12 2021, 03:56 PM)

Thank you..
+1 on the research which are CMR/SMR drives and ONLY go for CMR type.

I am using normal grade hdd, not NAS-grade (poket koyak if go for NAS grade, but it's in my future upgrade path)
I did the mistake of using SMR drives (due to not doing SMR/CMR homework) at first and the performance was horrible. After doing research, I sold off my SMR drives (Toshiba P300 2TB 5400rpm) and got the CMR ones (Toshiba P300 3TB 7200rpm).

I can't say anything about long term use yet, but if any of my drives failed, I'll definitely post an update here.
TSC-Fu
post Oct 13 2021, 10:18 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

If you’re an Unifi Broadband customer that relies on public IP, some of your services might be disrupted very soon. The broadband provider has announced a system migration where users on public IPv4 IPs will be shifted to private IP.

TM is implementing Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) for Unifi 30Mbps, 50Mbps, and 100Mbps customers. According to TM, services that may be affected include non-cloud-based CCTVs, server hosting, and online games where content is hosted by the customer. If you have a file-sharing service, FTP or NAS that uses a public IP, it will be affected as well.

For the large majority of users, your internet experience should not be affected when your service is switched to a private IP. According to the FAQ, the migration exercise will be implemented in stages from mid-September 2021 to January 2022 between 2am to 4am. Affected customers may experience a short downtime of 2-5 minutes.

crap. this will make using your NAS remotely a lot more troublesome. CGNAT is a big headache @_@
Zack Styler
post Oct 13 2021, 11:39 PM

1,280 posts

QUOTE(justnits @ Oct 13 2021, 03:15 PM)
+1 on the research which are CMR/SMR drives and ONLY go for CMR type.

I am using normal grade hdd, not NAS-grade (poket koyak if go for NAS grade, but it's in my future upgrade path)
I did the mistake of using SMR drives (due to not doing SMR/CMR homework) at first and the performance was horrible. After doing research, I sold off my SMR drives (Toshiba P300 2TB 5400rpm) and got the CMR ones (Toshiba P300 3TB 7200rpm).

I can't say anything about long term use yet, but if any of my drives failed, I'll definitely post an update here.
this is indeed helpful.. thank you..

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Oct 13 2021, 10:18 PM)
If you’re an Unifi Broadband customer that relies on public IP, some of your services might be disrupted very soon. The broadband provider has announced a system migration where users on public IPv4 IPs will be shifted to private IP.

TM is implementing Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) for Unifi 30Mbps, 50Mbps, and 100Mbps customers. According to TM, services that may be affected include non-cloud-based CCTVs, server hosting, and online games where content is hosted by the customer. If you have a file-sharing service, FTP or NAS that uses a public IP, it will be affected as well.

For the large majority of users, your internet experience should not be affected when your service is switched to a private IP. According to the FAQ, the migration exercise will be implemented in stages from mid-September 2021 to January 2022 between 2am to 4am. Affected customers may experience a short downtime of 2-5 minutes.
crap. this will make using your NAS remotely a lot more troublesome. CGNAT is a big headache @_@
is there any workaround to overcome this issue? as in able to access our NAS remotely?

TSC-Fu
post Oct 13 2021, 11:45 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Zack Styler @ Oct 13 2021, 11:39 PM)
this is indeed helpful.. thank you..
is there any workaround to overcome this issue? as in able to access our NAS remotely?
there is. but might be complicated.

I'm gonna try a way, see if that works.

in the meantime, best if you report to MCMC that your NAS or online game suddenly stops working at the MCMC portal - when it happens.

This post has been edited by C-Fu: Oct 13 2021, 11:46 PM
Peter_APIIT
post Oct 14 2021, 03:16 PM

Casual
364 posts

You should add instructions on how to setup OpenMediaVault.

This post has been edited by Peter_APIIT: Oct 14 2021, 03:19 PM
TSC-Fu
post Oct 14 2021, 04:47 PM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(Peter_APIIT @ Oct 14 2021, 03:16 PM)
You should add instructions on how to setup OpenMediaVault.
good idea, although setting up and installing OMV is far easier than xpenology. Will consider when I have some free time and if there is demand, cheers! biggrin.gif
xxboxx
post Oct 14 2021, 05:40 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(C-Fu @ Oct 13 2021, 10:18 PM)

Unifi's IPv6 is public right?
Maybe there's a way to get everything hooked up using it instead.

This post has been edited by xxboxx: Oct 14 2021, 06:11 PM
linkinpark
post Nov 26 2021, 02:09 PM

Casual
452 posts

Is this lsi card suitable to use on Truenas?

https://shopee.com.my/Dahui-IBM-M5015-Megar...4b-4c25fc42ae4f

7 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0219sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:18 PM