Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
125 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[V31] Lowyat.Net Mechanical Keyboard Club

views

alexdhas
post Jun 18 2018, 01:16 AM

11 posts

Can anyone recommend a keyboard profile similar to my current Dell SK-8115? Tested a few mechanical keyboards (Ttesports, Logitech at The Pantheon CC) but keycaps on qwerty are too high that I frequently bump them when typing/playing. Max budget is around 250. Thanks
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 18 2018, 12:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

Most Disruptive Tech (Keyboard): The Wooting One – The future of gaming keyboards? hmm.gif

Have you ever heard of a keyboard that has an adjustable actuation distance? Or one in which you could change from a digital to analog response and back again? What about swappable keys that can be replaced on the go or keys that will almost never wear out? Well, if you hadn’t before, now you do. The Wooting One offers a revolutionary leap over the usually stagnant field of keyboards and utilizes Flaretech’s Optical Prism Switch with an absolutely killer software side. It offers a vastly superior experience to traditional digital mechanical keyboards in nearly all regards.

Not only are the Flaretech Prism switches rated at over a 100 million keystrokes but every single switch on the keyboard is replaceable and the company is kind enough to provide spares in the box in case you ever need them. The keyboard has an analog response function as well as the traditional digital one depending on your preference and you can, of course, set actuation distances with the click of a button (prefer a featherlite fast typing response? no problemo). After seeing the flexibility this $142 keyboard gives to gamers, it’s hard to justify dropping $199+ on ‘premium’ traditional gaming boards.

The company was kind enough to give us a sample and we will be following this up with a much more detailed review soon.

https://wccftech.com/wccftechs-best-of-comp...hnology-awards/

user posted image

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jun 18 2018, 12:05 PM
horns
post Jun 18 2018, 06:53 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(alexdhas @ Jun 18 2018, 01:16 AM)
Can anyone recommend a keyboard profile similar to my current Dell SK-8115? Tested a few mechanical keyboards (Ttesports, Logitech at The Pantheon CC) but keycaps on qwerty are too high that I frequently bump them when typing/playing. Max budget is around 250. Thanks
maybe you need cherry profile key caps. xda/dsa might be too flat for you.

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 18 2018, 12:02 PM)
Most Disruptive Tech (Keyboard): The Wooting One – The future of gaming keyboards?  hmm.gif

https://wccftech.com/wccftechs-best-of-comp...hnology-awards/

user posted image
well it's nice to have, but in fps games if you do this you die faster.
Sigint
post Jun 19 2018, 09:38 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

Seeing plenty of mechanical KB on sites like Lazada, Taobao and Aliexpress selling for less than RM50. shocking.gif

Are they actual mechanical boards or just one of those fake hybrid "mem-chanical" keyboards like those from Cooler Master and other gaming brands?
horns
post Jun 19 2018, 11:54 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Sigint @ Jun 19 2018, 09:38 PM)
Seeing plenty of mechanical KB on sites like Lazada, Taobao and Aliexpress selling for less than RM50. shocking.gif 

Are they actual mechanical boards or just one of those fake hybrid "mem-chanical" keyboards like those from Cooler Master and other gaming brands?
you should just share the links for us to refer to. from the price that you mentioned i think they're not true mkbs.
FaezFarhan
post Jun 20 2018, 08:14 AM

United till I die!
3,424 posts

Anyone providing soldering / installation service for keyboards
horns
post Jun 20 2018, 05:08 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(FaezFarhan @ Jun 20 2018, 08:14 AM)
Anyone providing soldering / installation service for keyboards
try join mymkb fb group. there are friends there that can help.
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 21 2018, 12:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

Old video but still relevant somewhat.

you buy a mkb, but later you may decide to opt for keycap set replacements for something more stylish (or more importantly imho more durable and higher contrast) keycaps.

doubleshots and dyesubs are some examples of better quality keycaps.

One project i participated in the past was with the geekhack community bulk purchase of signature plastics doubleshot keycap set compatible for cherry corp standard keyboard.

For compatibility, we even had to resort to a moogle kit required for older vintage mkbs.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Adapter_kit

in the video they illustrate how the spacebar had some sort of holder you had to be a bit more careful when replacing, but i had no such issue with my Ducky Dk9008 mkb, just simply remove and replace no issues. But for certain mkbs something to take note of.

these days though, brands like ducky etc, offer their own kits for better quality keycaps, so saves you the trouble having to put together a crowd funded project for it, which is a nice change from the old days nod.gif
http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/keycaps_set.html

horns
post Jun 21 2018, 02:08 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 21 2018, 12:52 PM)
Old video but still relevant somewhat.

you buy a mkb, but later you may decide to opt for keycap set replacements for something more stylish (or more importantly imho more durable and higher contrast) keycaps.

doubleshots and dyesubs are some examples of better quality keycaps.

One project i participated in the past was with the geekhack community bulk purchase of signature plastics doubleshot keycap set compatible for cherry corp standard keyboard.

For compatibility, we even had to resort to a moogle kit required for older vintage mkbs.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Adapter_kit

in the video they illustrate how the spacebar had some sort of holder you had to be a bit more careful when replacing, but i had no such issue with my Ducky Dk9008 mkb, just simply remove and replace no issues. But for certain mkbs something to take note of.

these days though, brands like ducky etc, offer their own kits for better quality keycaps, so saves you the trouble having to put together a crowd funded project for it, which is a nice change from the old days  nod.gif
http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/keycaps_set.html
compared to previous states, today we have more options than before, as vendors are picking up requirements of key cap sets based on community feedback

i have sets from ducky (akko x ducky; produced by hardcaps). they are of oem profile, pbt, with ok-ish thickness (similar to tai-hao) yes it does help ducky users minimizing risks of getting incompatible sets. (just like varmilo)

to me, the actual problem is also about space bar. i have come across some sets that didn't go well with certain prebuilt boards (e.g. jtk space bar with varmilo va87m) although it's fixable, i chose to use stock space bar instead, as i don't wanna lose the great typing feel on this large key, just because i want it to look good.

Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 21 2018, 03:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Jun 21 2018, 02:08 PM)
i have sets from ducky (akko x ducky; produced by hardcaps). they are of oem profile, pbt, with ok-ish thickness (similar to tai-hao) yes it does help ducky users minimizing risks of getting incompatible sets. (just like varmilo)
i kept my original ducky set, the one i got is the no filling blank. durable but not so good contrast. but it's got the ducky specific function icons on it, so i use them.... but all the other keycaps i replaced nod.gif

horns
post Jun 21 2018, 09:59 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 21 2018, 03:41 PM)
i kept my original ducky set, the one i got is the no filling blank. durable but not so good contrast. but it's got the ducky specific function icons on it, so i use them.... but all the other keycaps i replaced  nod.gif
haha nice

it's always good to change cap sets from time to time. it's very refreshing smile.gif
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 24 2018, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

Apple Launches Repair Program for Faulty MacBook and MacBook Pro Keyboards

In response to extensive customer complaints and two potential class action lawsuits shakehead.gif, Apple is launching a free repair program for MacBook and MacBook Pros with keys that get stuck or don’t register when tapped. According to Apple, only a "small percentage" of laptops were affected.

To initiate the repair process, customers should find an Apple Authorized Service Provider, make an appointment at an Apple retail store, or mail the device into an Apple Repair Center after contacting Apple support. Apple says that if the affected MacBook or MacBook Pro has damage that impairs service, the issue will need to be repaired first.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/06/23/app...k_pro_keyboards

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jun 24 2018, 09:05 AM
horns
post Jun 24 2018, 03:29 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Jun 24 2018, 09:04 AM)
they should have done this at the earliest.

--

after revisited articles about more common, non-analogue optical switches, i think they fit better into modular/CIY boards.

compared to normal cherry mx style switches, imo these switches are more compatible because:

1. they support hot-swapping directly;
2. there is no need for kailh switch sockets (which can be a problem when you wish to use custom cases, because these sockets might be in the way, and cause incompatibility);
3. they don't need metal pins; hence reduces risks of bad switches due to bent pins (caused by improper handling during installation)

optical switches have some advantages that are not found in normal mechanical switches:

1. they do not produce key chattering;
2. they are basically indestructible, especially for the linear variants;

for linear switch users, this is a very good thing. basically the only mechanical part that matter in linear optical switches are the springs. all you need to do is to replace springs to get the right feels.

i do hope at later stage optical switches can get more switch options, like silent red hehe

This post has been edited by horns: Jun 24 2018, 03:29 PM
nazeeman
post Jun 26 2018, 11:34 PM

huh?
1,061 posts

QUOTE(x-1o8-x @ Jun 17 2018, 03:23 AM)
sweet, guess i'll order from lazada then since it's cheaper
Hi bro..do you already get it the keycaps? any thought? Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif
x-1o8-x
post Jun 27 2018, 12:57 AM

Prosekaist
1,211 posts

QUOTE(nazeeman @ Jun 26 2018, 11:34 PM)
Hi bro..do you already get it the keycaps? any thought? Thanks  icon_rolleyes.gif
nope not yet, i ordered via fb group instead, still waiting for the guy to msg me biggrin.gif
Currylaksa
post Jun 29 2018, 01:41 PM

Regular
1,616 posts

Wah RGB all the things ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Currylaksa: Jun 29 2018, 01:41 PM
irsyadfy
post Jun 29 2018, 07:45 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(Currylaksa @ Jun 29 2018, 01:41 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Wah RGB all the things ohmy.gif
jumping RGB sheep rclxms.gif
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Jun 29 2018, 11:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

New Razer Keyboard Features "Opto-Mechanical" Switches
Razer has released a pair of new keyboards that feature their new "opto-mechanical" switches. The switches are available in the new "Razer Huntsman Elite" and "Razer Huntsman" keyboards. The switches use an infrared beam of light, that is broken when the key is depressed, and allows light to pass when the key is pressed. In addition they also have a mechanical component, giving them a similar "clicky" feel to the Razer Green switch.

I dunno about these. While the idea of using an optical break-beam sensor for something is nothing new, having it miniaturized on this scale makes me fear that they may be more fragile than the MacBook butterfly switches. Optical sensors are not known for being impervious to cheeto dust. If you're interested the Huntsman Elite will set you back $200, and the regular Huntsman $150.

Pushing innovation to elevate the gaming experience is something we constantly strive for. It was what drove us to create the first mechanical keyboard for gaming, then subsequently design our own Razer Mechanical Switches to meet the needs of different gamers. And with the new Razer Opto-Mechanical Switch, we’re redefining the standards of speed once again.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/06/28/new...anical_switches

horns
post Jun 30 2018, 03:46 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

200usd. these days the price of gaming boards is getting crazy. you're paying for something that are not relevant to typing feels.

this is just sad.

daymontoh
post Jul 3 2018, 10:22 AM

3 posts

Greetings all sifu, i couldnt find a dedicated thread for MKB suggestion so here i am.
I am in a dilemma of getting a MKB that cost RM250 or almost double its price RM450.
Some of the easily available model include Cherry MX Board 2.0, IKBC C104 or a Filco Majestouch Ninja, Majestouch Convertible 2.
Also, should i worry about Majestouch Ninja's age since it was released back in 2011?
Is the any shop in klang valley that i could to try out Cherry MX switches? I am visiting late July.

Purpose: Work only. Probably back to gaming in the future? blush.gif
Switches: Cherry MX switches, probably brown as that's what i got from research
Layout: 105 keys
Keycaps: PBT optional as i might get them on aliexpress soon. Budget RM100
Environment: Office, prefer non-backlit and quieter options (no Blue keys)

PS: Pardon me, its been a while since i posted on LYN forum and asking dumb questions like place suggestion coz i am from Sabah.

icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by daymontoh: Jul 3 2018, 10:36 AM

125 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0242sec    0.36    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 PM