Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nintendo Switch Official Thread v2, Portable? Home console? whynotboth.jpg

naxdorf
post Mar 9 2019, 05:29 AM

Group: Junior Member

Need advice.
I'll be in US next week. Found a place selling the standalone console for $250 in a tax free state.
Apart from warranty and power plug compatibility with msia, anything I need to be worried about?
jfarm86
post Mar 11 2019, 09:13 AM

Getting Started

I was looking for Family Membership plan, anyone still got slot?

Or if anyone is looking for one, kindly pm me or leave a msg here. We try and gather enough member for the Online Service Family Plan subscription.

This post has been edited by jfarm86: Mar 11 2019, 09:41 AM
Kellicros
post Mar 12 2019, 02:09 PM

www.getto.com.my
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(killerizm @ Mar 5 2019, 02:27 PM)
Hi, I need some advice from a Zelda fan who has played most of the series installments. I wanna know if BotW is a game for me.

I've never played a single Zelda game growing up (sad childhood). Recently I thought I'd try getting into the series starting with Ocarina of Time 3D. Not a fan of the previous 2D top down installments. Going into half of OoT (maybe half? After grown up Link.), I'm starting to get bored of its repetitive and almost similar dungeon format concept of "enter dungeon> solve puzzles> get key/map> kill boss> get gem/medallion". The main quests involving main dungeons felt generally similar in pattern to me and felt more restrictive compared to side quests in open world that spans throughout multiple areas. I do however enjoy some of the side quests and minigames such as the gold skulltulas, fishing, getting horse, and the mask shop quest.

So in terms of the dungeon system, how similar is BotW to OoT or to any other previous Zelda installments? Is there more freedom and diversity for the player to solve puzzles, taking on enemies and bosses? Is BotW for me?

Not sure if I should ask this here or on the BotW thread but since here more active I'll try asking here first. Thanks in advance for any sort of advice.  notworthy.gif
I've played almost every Zelda games, except Skyward Sword on the Wii, and the first 2 zelda games on the NES.

Now to answer your question, BOTW and OOT are very different games.

In OOT (or any classic Zelda games) you gain special tools by defeating bosses in dungeons to unlock next area to explore and progress. The game is very linear, you will not be able to progress unless you did what the game wants you to do, although you are free to explore the area you have opened up, finding secrets and stuff so near the end of the game you pretty much have an "open world" to explore. I liked what it is for its time, but the game mechanics can be very clunky by today's standard.

BOTW, it is a modern openworld sandbox game like it's been said, all the special tools are open up to you in the first hour of playing, you're then given the freedom use these tools to progress however you like, you can go wherever you want, do whatever you want, even go straight to the final boss , but be prepare to get your ass whooped.

There are only 4 main dungeons with 4 bosses and one final boss(correct me if I'm wrong, I have not finished the game yet), but the world is also packed with 120 mini dungeons (shrines) that you have to find yourself if you crave for more and you will want to do this because solving them is the only way to gain heart pieces and stamina. About diversity, some times there are more than 1 way to solve a puzzle, you just have to be creative with the tools given to you. There are also some mini boss scattered all over the world. The main quest here is to figure out your way to the 4 main dungeons, beat the 4 bosses, then to the final boss. As for the side quests and mini games, there are some but they are not that memorable imo, and sadly, no fishing, you can swim to catch them or bomb the hell out of them, that's pretty much about it.

To sum it all up, you are thrown into this world almost butt naked, you explore, beat shrines, upgrade yourself, hunt monsters/mini bosses/animals, gather loots, equipment and food, figure out how to traverse to the next area you want to go, repeat. Now it may sound boring but it is actually a lot of fun because of how well the world is crafted, there is so much to do.

Unlike the other Zelda games tho, there is very little story element in this game, most are told via flashbacks, in fact I think the game wants you to learn about the world and its lore by interacting with NPCs and exploring the world yourself.

So, will you like the game? I don't know, if you enjoy open world game that is all about exploration and survival, then you will probably like it. Think about Witcher3/RDR2/Skyrim with much less story, something like that. I love the game, but I am a bit disappointed at the same time, they added so much but also removed so much that made the earlier games great, like a much more engaging story. But Link's Awakening is coming, played that a lot on my huge gameboy when I was a kid.

This post has been edited by Kellicros: Mar 12 2019, 06:11 PM
Korra99
post Mar 12 2019, 10:21 PM

Getting Started

Hi all, want to ask whether Switch can play old games like GBA kirby nightmare in dreamland

1. Can play properly

2. Can only play after hack like 3DS

3. Cannot play even after hack/because cant hack

Thanks
Kellicros
post Mar 13 2019, 10:51 AM

www.getto.com.my

QUOTE(Korra99 @ Mar 12 2019, 10:21 PM)
Hi all, want to ask whether Switch can play old games like GBA kirby nightmare in dreamland

1. Can play properly

2. Can only play after hack like 3DS

3. Cannot play even after hack/because cant hack
Thanks
1. No
2. Yes
3. The hacking scene is a sensitive topic, all I can say is, Nintendo did a hardware revision so the newer Switch cannot be hacked, and hacking your older switch = console ban from their online services.
Korra99
post Mar 13 2019, 11:02 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Kellicros @ Mar 13 2019, 10:51 AM)
1. No
2. Yes
3. The hacking scene is a sensitive topic, all I can say is, Nintendo did a hardware revision so the newer Switch cannot be hacked, and hacking your older switch = console ban from their online services.
Seems like switch very troublesome to play gba games

Is it recommended to get a new 3ds xl instead?
Kellicros
post Mar 13 2019, 11:32 AM

www.getto.com.my

QUOTE(Korra99 @ Mar 13 2019, 11:02 AM)
Seems like switch very troublesome to play gba games

Is it recommended to get a new 3ds xl instead?
I think the question is, do you want to play Nintendo Switch games? Or 3DS games? If you only want to play GBA games why not just buy the ones that support GBA games natively? Like the original DS/DSLite, or the actual GBA. They are fairly cheap these days if you find a used unit.
AhmadNaim93
post Mar 13 2019, 11:47 AM

Anyone know how long it take to process rma. one of the joy-con doesn't work wirelessly. Had to send full set to to the store. Send it to store physically on 9th feb. Visit their store 3 weeks for update, they said usually take 1 month. Until now no news.
Rei7
post Mar 16 2019, 01:46 AM

Multi-platformer

Possible the Doraemon Story of Season will get localization considering the english name is rated in Taiwan https://gematsu.com/2019/03/doraemon-story-...rated-in-taiwan
DK82
post Mar 16 2019, 02:48 PM

Stealth Lurker

Hi guys,

It's been a long while since BOTW was first launched. Is there any merit for me to buy first hand now? Is there download code that I might miss out if I buy second hand cartridge?
Rei7
post Mar 16 2019, 03:28 PM

Multi-platformer

QUOTE(DK82 @ Mar 16 2019, 02:48 PM)
Hi guys,

It's been a long while since BOTW was first launched. Is there any merit for me to buy first hand now? Is there download code that I might miss out if I buy second hand cartridge?
No additional bonus. 2nd hand is fine.
You still need to buy the expansion pass tho if you want all the other additional content.
lonetitans
post Mar 17 2019, 12:33 PM

Getting Started

anyone wants to share nintendo family plan? i'll start it
Rei7
post Mar 21 2019, 01:18 AM

Multi-platformer

Did not expect Nintendo would allow an indie dev to make this... icon_idea.gif

malakus
post Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Getting Started

New Switch rumour again. Two this time, casual and enhanced version.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0854sec    7.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th March 2019 - 10:39 AM